Any word on how Castaway Cay is doing?

I don't understand what the urgency is in Disney communicating a reopen date for CC. The fact that it's probably unknown and unknowable at this point is a separate issue. For those of you that are on an upcoming cruise and feel frustrated with not having a definitive answer, what would you do with that information if you had an actual reopen date at this point and could count on it? Anyone booked on a cruise in the next couple of months is well past the paid-in-full date at this point, and I haven't seen anyone say that they're NOT booked yet and want the information before they purchase a cruise that's, say, two weeks from now.
Well for starters, my family and I would like to know as we had originally anticipated staying on the Dream while in Nassau. If there will be no CC day, I’d like to know sooner than later so that I can make plans to hit the beach while in Nassau. As fun as the ship is, we’d still like to dip a toe in the sand, if you know what I mean. Also, if any are like us, we plan this vacation quite a while in advance and have our hearts/minds set on certain activities...like a cabana on CC day. Simply knowing one way or the other helps us either temper our excitement or reassures us that our original plan is still doable. Either way, this thread seems to be full of people ready to tell other people how they should feel and why. If folks are upset they’re going to miss CC, let them be upset. Doesn't make them bad people, doesn’t mean they don’t care about Bahamians. All it means is that they’re disappointed about something they’ve likely vested at least a year into planning.

Well for starters, my family and I would like to know as we had originally anticipated staying on the Dream while in Nassau. If there will be no CC day, I’d like to know sooner than later so that I can make plans to hit the beach while in Nassau. As fun as the ship is, we’d still like to dip a toe in the sand, if you know what I mean. Also, if any are like us, we plan this vacation quite a while in advance and have our hearts/minds set on certain activities...like a cabana on CC day. Simply knowing one way or the other helps us either temper our excitement or reassures us that our original plan is still doable. Either way, this thread seems to be full of people ready to tell other people how they should feel and why. If folks are upset they’re going to miss CC, let them be upset. Doesn't make them bad people, doesn’t mean they don’t care about Bahamians. All it means is that they’re disappointed about something they’ve likely vested at least a year into planning.

As many of us have said, you should never book a cruise solely for a particular port (or excursion for that matter) because any port and/or excursion can be cancelled with little to no notice. It is right there in the cruise contract.

I get that it is disappointing to miss a port (or be stuck on the ship due to storms), but it is part of cruising that they can be missed.

As many of us have said, you should never book a cruise solely for a particular port (or excursion for that matter) because any port and/or excursion can be cancelled with little to no notice. It is right there in the cruise contract.

I get that it is disappointing to miss a port (or be stuck on the ship due to storms), but it is part of cruising that they can be missed.
Yep, totally agree. My comment centered around being notified so that we could make the best of the itinerary we will ultimately sail. That and being aloud to be disappointed...

According to a website I read tonight, there are calls scheduled for Castaway Cay on September 13th. We will see if the Fantasy docks there and let's people get off the ship. I am scheduled to be there on September 25th, but my expectations are low due to the storm. It will be a pleasent surprise if I am able to step foot onto the island.

I'd love to know what excursions are going to be offered... not because I'm going soon, but I'm wondering how many of the tour operators were so affected that they aren't going to be offering their tours anymore. I know there's one fishing tour we've gone on a couple of times. I've been thinking of them and hope they're okay.

I'd love to know what excursions are going to be offered... not because I'm going soon, but I'm wondering how many of the tour operators were so affected that they aren't going to be offering their tours anymore. I know there's one fishing tour we've gone on a couple of times. I've been thinking of them and hope they're okay.

Curious about this as well as I know our tour operators for our sandbar excursion and the kayaking excursion were from Abaco. They have been in my prayers. Some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Why all the firmness towards people that may be disappointed by missing CC. Everyone knows that it is possible to miss a port and has every right to be bummed about potentially missing it. As long as they leave it at that and don't ask for financial compensation I can empathize with them.

But to say never book a cruise solely for ports I don't understand that at all. Every year we pick our cruise we try to find one or two new islands in the Bahamas or Caribbean that we haven't been to yet (next year is 3, the ABC islands). We enjoy the different ports and are glad there are so many options available. We know there is a chance to miss a port, but always hope that if we do it is one we have seen already. Our days of sailing the same itinerary year after year are over.

Why all the firmness towards people that may be disappointed by missing CC. Everyone knows that it is possible to miss a port and has every right to be bummed about potentially missing it. As long as they leave it at that and don't ask for financial compensation I can empathize with them.

But to say never book a cruise solely for ports I don't understand that at all. Every year we pick our cruise we try to find one or two new islands in the Bahamas or Caribbean that we haven't been to yet (next year is 3, the ABC islands). We enjoy the different ports and are glad there are so many options available. We know there is a chance to miss a port, but always hope that if we do it is one we have seen already. Our days of sailing the same itinerary year after year are over.

Agree with this. Very true

Glad to hear that Disney was telling the truth and all of the nay-sayers were wrong!

Right!
Every time someone was saying it will be months and months, I really didnt believe it, maybe a couple of weeks, max. I daren't say anything because too many people were quick to shoot anyone down that suggested it.
Castaway Cay brings in too much money for Disney to leave it for long, especially when all the other private Islands in the area are already open without noticable hurricane damage...

Agree with this. Very true

I think some posters are just objecting to the implication that Disney is purposefully withholding information and doesn’t care how inconvenient that is for future passengers. I think they are updating a quickly as they can (confidently) do so. It would be worse to say CC would be open or closed on a certain date and then have to change that notice.

Well said.

LAST UPDATE:
My daughter will be coming home next week.
Still a lot of clean up and repairs to do. Hopefully it will be open by the end of the week.
When you get on the island, give everyone a hug and thanks for all the work they did to make it a wonderful stop.

Make plans to hit the beach in Nassau. If you find out that CC seems likely, alter those plans. That way, you have your backup plan set. Go into the trip with the knowledge that you have, which is that you might have to adjust things on the fly due to circumstances no one can control. Remind your heart and mind that you're still going to be on a cruise in the Caribbean and focusing on what you're missing out on is not going to make your vacation any better. You are already a leg up on people who have their cruises altered at the last minute and don't have the opportunity to re-work plans or get used to the idea that they will miss something that had been looking forward to.

I certainly understand being disappointed. I was bummed that we missed the first day of a Double Dip because of a tropical wave.

By "don't book a cruise solely for the port" I mean don't make the cruise all about that port/those ports such that missing one will ruin the entire vacation. And some of the people who are saying they would cancel if Castaway was going to be missed appear to fall into that all-or-nothing thinking. (And I suspect would be the people expecting to be compensated for not being able to go to a port.)

Well said. I am relieved, and happy that those of us on upcoming cruises can visit CC now. For us, part of booking the 3-day cruise was to go to CC. And as someone else pointed out, if it was unavailable, we would want to know ahead of time to make alternate plans or temper expectations accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter