Any word on how Castaway Cay is doing?

I heard a updated report on NPR about Abaco yesterday... not only were lots of homes destroyed, but many who survived are leaving for various reasons. So I would expect impacts to excursions/staffing for a while.

Perhaps since you’ve been at sea, you aren’t aware of how destructive the hurricane was to Abaco and Grand Bahama. It’s like a tornado sat over the islands for hours. The damage and human suffering is horrific and the number of lives lost remains to be seen. I would hope that people onboard will remember why it is they’re not at Castaway Cay and feel grateful for what they have and not irritated over missing a single port stop.
Exactly!!!!!!!

There is almost zero chance the ships stop there in the next couple of weeks. I think right now Disney is trying to determine something like 3 weeks of closure vs 3 months. Remember after other less impactful hurricanes the island was closed for months because they had to dredge the ship docking area. Also, it is super bad PR to be partying at CC when there is apocalyptic carnage miles away in Abaco islands. Who knows though?
Most of the vendors for excursions come from Abaco which is in survival mode right now. I would not expect anyone from that island to be getting to Castaway Cay when they probably don't even have a home left.
Honestly, these poor cast members are in a no-win situation. On the one hand, they are in the middle of devastation and may have lost everything so the last thing they may want to do it go to work serving tourists. On the other hand, they need the money to (hopefully) rebuild. I feel terrible for them.

Honestly, these poor cast members are in a no-win situation. On the one hand, they are in the middle of devastation and may have lost everything so the last thing they may want to do it go to work serving tourists. On the other hand, they need the money to (hopefully) rebuild. I feel terrible for them.

Just a technicality - the people who do the excursions (with the possible exception of the stingrays - I will not do that one so I don’t know) are not DCL crew. They are independent vendors that DCL contracts with.

I am not negating the rock and hard place they are between. Just pointing out that technicality.

Currently on the dream we did dock at castaway today. Crews did a great job getting island back open. As far as the beaches serenity bay seems to have taken the most of the weather. Cabanas were not able to be used since there was a 3-5ft drop off from sand erosion. Also half of the beach able to be used. Some excursions did happen but a few were canceled. Family beach looks as if they still have work to fix them but they are able to be used. They have much work to do but they continue to work to repair different areas. The most heart warming part was watching them unload over a dozen skids of water as well as other supply’s ( generators lumber). Give them time they will have castaway back to 💯

Thanks for the update on Castaway Cay. This is great news!

Currently on the dream we did dock at castaway today. Crews did a great job getting island back open. As far as the beaches serenity bay seems to have taken the most of the weather. Cabanas were not able to be used since there was a 3-5ft drop off from sand erosion. Also half of the beach able to be used. Some excursions did happen but a few were canceled. Family beach looks as if they still have work to fix them but they are able to be used. They have much work to do but they continue to work to repair different areas. The most heart warming part was watching them unload over a dozen skids of water as well as other supply’s ( generators lumber). Give them time they will have castaway back to 💯

Hi,

Is this just the cabanas on serenity bay or the family cabanas also?

Thanks.

Just got off the dream and was very thankful to spend all day at Castaway. The snorkeling lagoon was not open. The crew told us it was due to the lifeguard stations needing to be reinforced. We just snorkeled in the family beach part and saw tons of stingrays. The island definitely shows signs of the storm but we still enjoyed our day. Weather was beautiful and we got to swim, bike ride and paddle boat.20190912_145122.jpg 20190912_145127.jpg20190912_110830.jpg20190912_153249.jpg

Last edited:
Just got off the dream and was very thankful to spend all day at Castaway. The snorkeling lagoon was not open. The crew told us it was due to the lifeguard stations needing to be reinforced. We just snorkeled in the family beach part and saw tons if stingrays. The island definitely shows signs of the storm but we still enjoyed our day. Weather was beautiful and we got to swim, bike rideView attachment 435408 and paddle boat.View attachment 435404View attachment 435407

Thank you for the pictures. It doesn't look too bad.

Thanks for the pictures and glad you got to make port. Relatively unscathed compared to Abaco nearby. Thankful!:lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter