Any word or any prep work being done for new DVC cabins?

Your post makes me wonder, @Scalemaster34 , if the following scenario might happen:

- DVC Cabins go into service in 2024.
- Per IRS rules, "manufactured housing" has a depreciation life of 27.5 years (mid-point of 25-30 yrs).
- Does that mean the maximum life of a DVC contract will extend roughly 25 years beyond 2024? (or even for 27.5 years)?
- Meaning points contracts might expire in 2049/2052?
- OKW went active in 1991 and earliest expiration is 2042 for a length of 51 years?
- I would assume the DVC cabins will have to be replaced again about 2049
- Or can DVC replace the cabins one more time for a total contract length of 50 years?
- I understand updates being done on a resort can be done mid-contract but a total "rebuild"? (removal and replacement with a new cabin?). The buildings are essentially brand new again and not simply "updated".

Makes me wonder, anyway.

Bama Ed

PS - personally I think Disney will build behind Pioneer Hall a DVC property (or part resort/part DVC) and many amenities for DVC cabins will be over there. Just IMO.
My understanding is that Florida timeshare law requires a minimum 40 year lifespan for a new timeshare. OKW has a 50 year lifespan, the next five have less than 50 but more than 40 (all ending on the same date in 2042), and SSR and all that follow have a full 50 years to run. So most likely CFW will have 50 years too.

My understanding is that Florida timeshare law requires a minimum 40 year lifespan for a new timeshare. OKW has a 50 year lifespan, the next five have less than 50 but more than 40 (all ending on the same date in 2042), and SSR and all that follow have a full 50 years to run. So most likely CFW will have 50 years too.

So from a physical plant point of view, that means people might hold a max contract over a first wave of DVC cabins and then a second wave (more or less) as well, if I understand you correctly, @CarolynFH.

So from a physical plant point of view, that means people might hold a max contract over a first wave of DVC cabins and then a second wave (more or less) as well, if I understand you correctly, @CarolynFH.
Yes, that’s my guess based on the information you give about manufactured housing. In addition, the other DVC resorts are supposed to undergo “soft goods refurbs” (new curtains, new furniture, fresh paint, etc., every 7 years and “hard goods refurbs” (to the studs) every 14 years, so I guess that could happen without changing out the shell itself!

Initially, availability will depend on sales - Disney usually declares only enough of a new resort into the condominium to give it a cushion for the next few months of projected sales, so most of the resort remains available for the public to book. For an example, less than 70% of Riviera is declared into the condominium for DVC owners to book; Disney can and does offer the remaining 30% to the general public. It will take several years for the Cabins to sell out, so availability for the "regular folk" won't be that bad. Also, even after a resort sells out, Disney is still an owner and has the same booking rights the rest of us do (11 months from checkin), plus if any villas are not reserved by other owners 60 days prior to checkin, Disney can take them for cash reservations, too.

PS don't assume DVC owners are unfamiliar with the pros and cons of FW - mine is not the only DVC family who has stayed in a Cabin before. Many owners are looking forward to bringing their dogs, too.
This! As a DVC owner with quite a few points I am very excited to have a DVC resort that I can book online that is pet friendly. While I love all the regular resorts, I also love camping and am excited that the cabins are slated to become another DVC option.

We’ve stayed at the cabins every time we’ve visited disney for the past 8 years or so. We’re not interested in the DVC stuff and I don‘t understand it AT ALL. Are regular civilians like us going to have a difficult or impossible time trying to book a cabin in the future? How does that work? Our next visit will be spring of 2025. Do I need to find another resort for our future stays? I hope not! We love the fort so much.

We’ve stayed at the cabins every time we’ve visited disney for the past 8 years or so. We’re not interested in the DVC stuff and I don‘t understand it AT ALL. Are regular civilians like us going to have a difficult or impossible time trying to book a cabin in the future? How does that work? Our next visit will be spring of 2025. Do I need to find another resort for our future stays? I hope not! We love the fort so much.

DVC maintains some rooms to rent on a nightly cash basis, much like a hotel room, at their time share properties. However, I believe those cash rentals are only available to DVC members.

Thus, if you can find a FWC DVC owner who is renting points, that would be one way you could stay in the future at the new FW DVC Cabins. The DIS does have a DVC-Rent/Transfer sub-form under their main DVC forum and there are other point rental resources out there.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
DVC maintains some rooms to rent on a nightly cash basis, much like a hotel room, at their time share properties. However, I believe those cash rentals are only available to DVC members.

Thus, if you can find a FWC DVC owner who is renting points, that would be one way you could stay in the future at the new FW DVC Cabins. The DIS does have a DVC-Rent/Transfer sub-form under their main DVC forum and there are other point rental resources out there.

Bama Ed
all of that overwhelms and confuses me. Thank you for the explaination. There might by a Poly stay in our future I guess.

The other DVC properties at WDW can still be booked by us "commoners" (non-DVC owners) on the WDW web site. They are just listed in the "Deluxe Villas" category. (See below). I don't see any reason why the new cabins won't also be available once the DVC kicks in.

1700248880787.png

j

Thanks Jim, I had read the DVC website info. ED

all of that overwhelms and confuses me. Thank you for the explaination. There might by a Poly stay in our future I guess.
Disney will still rent cabins for cash through the normal reservations website and phone number, don’t worry.

Thanks Jim, I had read the DVC website info. ED
DVC members can sometimes book DVC villas for cash at a 25% discount from rack rate through DVC Member Services. The cash inventory referenced above is a separate pool of villas, available to the general public.

You may find that the DVC cabins could be less money that they otherwise would if Disney replaced them and kept the current rental model in place. I have been on al sides of the equation in the past. I have rented the traditional room rate, stayed on DVC points and rented my points. Depending on economic circumstances at the time I have pivoted on how I stay.

But the cabins will need to be replaced soon since they are reaching the end (likely) of their useful life. Disney will then have to "fish or cut bait".
Bad turn of a phrase.
1. Disney likes to "fish" for well-funded guests.
2. They "bait" with ads showing less crowding in parks.
3. They "cut" deeply into the bank accounts of guests.

There are several topics on the cabin replacement, but this ones seems to be the most recent.

Saw this on the News/Rumors forum. Looks like it came from a DVC site. These look like the original concept art, just different angles.

Original from April this year. The latest still says "Opening Summer 2024"

Rendering_The-Cabins-at-Disneys-Fort-Wilderness-Resort-%E2%80%93-A-Disney-Vacation-Club-Resort-2.jpg

And from the latest article.

New concept art for the upcoming DVC Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort!

This was shared today at the annual DVC Condo Association Meeting.

The redesigned DVC cabins will still feature bunk beds and have a projected opening date of Summer 2024!

IMG_3266.jpeg

IMG_3267.jpeg

j

Those handles on the wall in the 2nd new pic (between the tv and kitchen counter) sure does look like it could be a twin size Murphy bed, Jim.

The small sofa in front of it could be a twin sleeper sofa.

So queen (2), bunks (2), Murphy (1) and sleeper (1) = room for 6. I hope all the beds are long enough for adults (which also means like growing teenagers).

Ed

PS - the bedroom/bunk ladder doorway ..... wonder if it will be a pocket or rolling barn door style rather than a typical hinged door?

PPS - and maybe it's just me but the proposed cabin looks ..... short. The current cabins are 12' x 42' per allears.net. If the 2nd new pic shows two-thirds (roughly) of the new length (bedroom and living area) that means the bath area is at the front end, maybe, of the trailer nearest the road.

https://allears.net/walt-disney-wor...-wilderness-resort-and-campground-fact-sheet/

Last edited:
Those handles on the wall in the 2nd new pic (between the tv and kitchen counter) sure does look like it could be a twin size Murphy bed, Jim.

The small sofa in front of it could be a twin sleeper sofa.

So queen (2), bunks (2), Murphy (1) and sleeper (1) = room for 6. I hope all the beds are long enough for adults (which also means like growing teenagers).

Ed

PS - the bedroom/bunk ladder doorway ..... wonder if it will be a pocket or rolling barn door style rather than a typical hinged door?

PPS - and maybe it's just me but the proposed cabin looks ..... short. The current cabins are 12' x 42' per allears.net. If the 2nd new pic shows two-thirds (roughly) of the new length (bedroom and living area) that means the bath area is at the front end, maybe, of the trailer nearest the road.

https://allears.net/walt-disney-wor...-wilderness-resort-and-campground-fact-sheet/
With the bed, couch, footrest placement, it looks like the big murphy bed like in the Saratoga Springs 1 bedroom suite. If so, it's the same size as the 2nd pulldown bed in the value resorts, which my husband and I fit comfortably on during a stay at Art of Animation. With the bunk beds staying in the bedroom, maybe our family will just give the kids the bedroom and the adults sleep on the murphy bed. Still hoping they add a stackable washer dryer somewhere in the cabin, though.

I saw the handles and figured the couch is one of these combo couch/Murphy beds. We looked into putting one of these in our office/guest room when Donna went permanent work from home.

1702046421633.png
I didn't even notice the ladder. I suspect that is a loft bedroom for kids or really flexible adults. Many new 5th wheels are coming with similar "bedrooms" above the living space.

PPS - and maybe it's just me but the proposed cabin looks ..... short.
Something does seem off on the perspective on the latest drawings. At first, I thought they were different cabins, but they are the same. I agree, they do look short. Much shorter than 42 ft.

j

Do we think these are some manufacturer's 'standard model with some tweaks' or do we think these are a Disney exclusive design? If they're based on a commercially available model (again, with tweaks) maybe we could get an idea of the dimensions.

Taking a closer look there is some space I did not account for in the middle near what I am figuring are sliders. I would say between the sliders is 2ft and on each side of the sliders is maybe 3ft for a total of 8ft. If the windows are 4ft a piece and you add the 32ft for those with the extra space they would be about 40ft. So maybe depending on the measurements it could very well be the 42ft like the existing cabins

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter