• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone bring a portable safe for the pool or beach?

Yup. I'll definitely be taking something like the Kyss bag to hold my stuff when I'm at the pools!

I'm not sure why anyone else here feels the need to be sarcastic and rude about it.
Some posters, and certainly the marketing for those bags, overstate the degree of protection offered. Some people overstate the risk of leaving stuff out. A swimsuit with pockets, mainly men or a waterproof bag (either) is enough for many guests.

Room key, credit card and a small amount of cash can go in a pocket. A waterproof case/laynard can contain that stuff plus a phone. I take extra sun lotion. If a guest needs my store brand lotion bad enough to take it....I can live with it.
Those bags certainly stop a fellow guest who thinks something like nice shirt or nice sunglasses are worth taking. On the other hand a thief looking for good stuff may think taking the contents from one of those magic bags is likely to yield an I-Pad, I-Phone or wallet.

The goal is to slow them down BUT NOT TO CREATE A TARGET WITH A BULLSEYE. Take a $1 pair of flip flops from Old Navy instead of expensive hiking sandals is a good idea.

I might have a slightly different opinion if I had stuff stolen,but leaving stuff in your room, to the extent possible, is the better solution.

The beach in front of Aulani is open to the public. There is a public walkway between and Aulani and the 4 seasons. I understand the concern. Not sure about magic bags

Last edited:
Read the Amazon reviews. One of the bags linked to Amazon wasn't cut resistant. Another one the strap could be easily removed, while the bag was locked.

If you want to drop some $$$ the Cabanas have lock box draws. On our one all day resort day we rented one with friends and left all my DH $$ camera gear and phones.51846675301__B4306544-3142-4272-B47F-69B6EA7C6DDE.jpg

Last edited:
Some posters, and certainly the marketing for those bags, overstate the degree of protection offered. Some people overstate the risk of leaving stuff out. A swimsuit with pockets, mainly men or a waterproof bag (either) is enough for many guests.

Room key, credit card and a small amount of cash can go in a pocket. A waterproof case/laynard can contain that stuff plus a phone. I take extra sun lotion. If a guest needs my store brand lotion bad enough to take it....I can live with it.
Those bags certainly stop a fellow guest who thinks something like nice shirt or nice sunglasses are worth taking. On the other hand a thief looking for good stuff may think taking the contents from one of those magic bags is likely to yield an I-Pad, I-Phone or wallet.

The goal is to slow them down BUT NOT TO CREATE A TARGET WITH A BULLSEYE. Take a $1 pair of flip flops from Old Navy instead of expensive hiking sandals is a good idea.

I might have a slightly different opinion if I had stuff stolen,but leaving stuff in your room, to the extent possible, is the better solution.

The beach in front of Aulani is open to the public. There is a public walkway between and Aulani and the 4 seasons. I understand the concern. Not sure about magic bags
Not to belabor the point, but the recommendation for the kyss (keep your stuff safe) bags comes with merit. Found on the DISBoards in fact when we went on our first Disney cruise and used in WDW and DL and other hotel resorts and Mexico by us subsequently multiple times.

Common sense still rules in terms of the valuables you decide to bring to the beach to store, but if you’re happy reading your tablet and have your normal polarized good shades and sandals then throw them in the bag and secure it to a stationary item where it would be less of a “target.” I can’t be comfortable in $1 flip flops from old navy so need to pick my battles. I also don’t bring a go pro to doc my fams trip exploits but other do… it’s personal preferences. Best to have a variety of options for security if one feels they need it.

The bags are made well to resist theft if used properly. Per their specs:

• Welded Steel (316 Stainless Steel) Security Chain
  • 2-Layer Cut/Slash and Water Resistant Construction
  • Reinforced #10 Dura-Lok Zipper
  • High Quality Carabiner Lock with Easy-to-Read Dials
  • Secure 3-Digit Combination - We can pre-set and store the combination for you or you can set it yourself
  • Light-Weight - Under 2 lbs!

Nobody claims they are magic bags but they are well made. And they still require folks to use judgment. Which I think we are both saying.

Bring your magic band and leave your wallet in your room safe. You can charge to your room with it and it’s also your room key.

Bumping this thread because I just came upon a Facebook post about safety and not leaving things like phones at your pool chair. What’s the verdict here lately? I usually just bury my phone in my beach bag and put it under the pool chair.

When we were there a few years ago, we came out of the ocean and were sitting on loungers while a couple on their honeymoon was talking to security a few chairs down.

They had just arrived and left his wallet with $1000 in wedding cash buried under their towels and clothes so they could take a quick jump in the ocean while waiting for their room to be available.

They said they had only been away from their gear 5-10 minutes. The security guard said it happens all the time.

We picked up a waterproof fanny pack type bag and kept our credit card, some cash and keys for the rental car when we were touring the island.

We had a small beach bag for sunblock and other items that were replaceable.

When we were there a few years ago, we came out of the ocean and were sitting on loungers while a couple on their honeymoon was talking to security a few chairs down.

They had just arrived and left his wallet with $1000 in wedding cash buried under their towels and clothes so they could take a quick jump in the ocean while waiting for their room to be available.

They said they had only been away from their gear 5-10 minutes. The security guard said it happens all the time.

We picked up a waterproof fanny pack type bag and kept our credit card, some cash and keys for the rental car when we were touring the island.

We had a small beach bag for sunblock and other items that were replaceable.
That’s crazy. Wow! You would think security would be better at a Disney resort.

We never take our wallets to the pool. Just the room key and our phones. Might leave the phones in the room. We just need them for pictures anyway.

We now have a cable lock cord and a combination lock that we bring to resort pools / beaches / waterparks etc. We lock our beach bag shut with any valuables inside when we leave our chairs and attach the bag to a chair so they can't just take the whole bag. Prior to doing this we had a one time theft occur at the Sheraton at Black Rock on Maui - we had someone go thru our belongings at the pool while we were on the beach taking pictures of the sunset and they stole some cash. We had left everything in a bag under a chair covered with a towel. They left the wallet & credit cards tho. They were apparently only interested in quick cash and they know a lot of people just casually "hide things". The hotel mgmt. said since the beaches are all public this is a common occurance for someone to come up from the beach and wander thru the property looking for easy low risk access.

That’s crazy. Wow! You would think security would be better at a Disney resort.

We never take our wallets to the pool. Just the room key and our phones. Might leave the phones in the room. We just need them for pictures anyway.
It’s a public beach though.

And realistically anyone can walk through the pool area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter