Anyone cancelling WDW trip due to economy?

We thought about cancelling/postponing (for about 3 seconds!) and then realized that life is too short! we don't know what tomorrow will bring, and since we have the money saved up we are going to go for it! no regrets...and maybe the happy memories will help us get through the rough times ahead a little easier. :yay:

AHEM to that!:banana:

Best wishes to those of you that have recently lost jobs...I hope you find something even better very soon! :hug:

As to the OP, as long as you've got the money already saved for the trip, go have fun. You deserve it, and your money won't be helping the economy unless you spend it!

Lori

We are going to go through with it unless one of us loses our jobs. We have been cutting back in other areas and I have a good bulk of xmas finished. Which is such a big money sink for us.

Yes and no. We originally planned for a 2 week vacation to WDW in April/May 2009, then we found out that DD would be competing at Wide World of Sports in Jan with gymnastics. So we decided that just DD and I would go down for a long weekend for the meet, and we would cut the family vacation back to 7 nights. My DH is a resort snob and does not want to stay anywhere but the Poly, so that makes it quite a cost for the family to stay. Neither DH or I are getting the extra hours at work that we are used to getting, so we cancelled the family vacation in April/May and DS 8 will join his sister (7) and I in January. DH will have his own mini vacation at home with just him and the dogs.

So we are still getting a trip to WDW, just not as long and minus DH--which to him is not a big deal as he does not really like rides or flying there in Jan.

Barb

I'm sorry to hear about some of your losses.

As for me and my family, it is money already put away and bidgeted for, and I agree with others, I am so sick of the media and the way they hype what they want to hype, i'm so looking forward to being gone and away from the news for 10 days!

After the elections and everything else, I need a mental break from this stuff!:smickey:

No way am I putting my long awaited vacation on hold. I agree with the poster that said he/she isn't changing life for something that may or may not ever happen. My philosophy is, life is too short and although we must be responsible, we must also enjoy life. If you keep putting it off for anther time, you will never go! Especially if you still have two to put through college. Is it ever a good time?? Take that vacation to WDW. The memories you create will live with you forever, even if the economy falls! You won't regret it! These are the moments in life that we all work so hard for and don't have enough of. Family vacations are just as important as saving money! I'm sure that the few thousand dollars you spend on vacation is not going to be the difference in making or breaking you anyway!:wizard:

Yes and no for us. We had a four night trip planned for Thanksgiving weekend which I just canceled. DH and I just looked at our money situation and decided we just can't afford it right now. Honestly with gas and the way prices have gone up on everything we just don't have the disposable income we once had. We are Annual Passholders for the first time and we went for a weekend in April were there for 8 nights in June and then three nights labor day weekend, so it is not like we are hurting for Disney trips. So I guess yes the economy caused us to cancel November but we already have trips planned for next March and June, we just need to be cautious for awhile and build our funds back up. Hopefully the economy will turn around and things will be better next year.

So sorry to hear about some of your jobs. This is a scary situation.

I look at is in investing in my families happiness. Even if all goes bad, you will always have your family and memories. So build bonds and great memories while you can.:love: Kids grow and people drift ,You never know what tomarow will bring. Disney is magic and everyone deserves a lil magic in thier lives!:smickey:

This is why I'm thankful I bought (and paid for) DVC a few years ago. The trip is basically paid for. We have AP's and DDE card. So other than eating and gas, and we have to eat no matter if we are home or out, it really doesn't cost us that much to go. We do look sometimes if it will be just a weekend trip to see if there are any good AP room discounts, mousesavers.com is an awesome resource, so many times we'll save our DVC points and pay to stay in a moderate or value for less than $100/night for 2 nights, but that is strictly to save points for when they are more valuable or stretch further. We're going Columbus weekend, yay 2 weeks:banana:, and this will be our 6th trip this year so far. We don't have any more planned but we may sneak one more in there this year, I'd like to see the Christmas lights, haven't in a while.

We're exactly like you. We're going in six weeks with our son/wife and ten month old granddaughter. No way are we cancelling. We, too, are DVC members (paid for), have annual passes and are flying Southwest (bought a ticket/got a ticket free). We were there in December '07 and May '08 (took nieces - 11 and 13). We also paid for our son's trip minus spending money for trip in November. The baby is too little to really know what it's all about, but we still can't wait to take her. Anyway, I have a "Today, Tomorrow, Always a Princess" scrapbook to finish by Christmas for her of her first Disney trip!

Nope...we're still going....it's my last chance to reconnect with my sister and rebuild our relationship...nothing is going to stop me from doing that.

And yes, it's all paid for and we have money put aside for souvenirs...so we're ready to go.... :drive:

We have had our Dec. trip paid for since March. We only need souvenir and food money and mostly have that saved up. So we are good to go!:banana: That being said, this will probably be our last "big" vacation for awhile.:sad2: We are lucky about where we live in Oregon. We are only an hour away from either the mountains or the beach. So we will go on a lot of camping trips in the furture.:) Also, DLR is only a twenty hour drive away, so we still may be able to get a Disney fix!:goodvibes

Hey Pooh2007,

I just realized we're going to be there at the same time...and we're coming from Big D.... :thumbsup2

Usually DH and I go on an adults only trip in the fall, in fact, we would have been leaving today. But I accompanied DH to a conference in June and that sort of replaced our fall trip. I'm glad I did. DH works for a division of AIG, and we took a big hit on his 401k and some stocks last week. If we had booked, we would be going, but I would be complaining that we really shouldn't be. So it is a blessing that we are not. But I'm bummed because my sister is leaving tommorrow and my parents are down there today. My sis and her DH are doing Expedition Everest Challenge Saturday and DH and I would have done it with them. So, I'm sad. In fact I cried when I called to wish her a safe flight and a happy trip. However, I'll just have more money to spend for our May 09 family trip with the kids :)

No, and I don't think we ever really considered it. Of course, now that we're only 9 days away it's not really an option considering we'd lose a ton of money on the flights & cruise.

We've waited 10 years for this trip, and it's definitely our "dream vacation". We are going to savor and enjoy every moment, though, because we don't plan to do it again for a long time.

:worried: Sorry to those of you who are suddenly without a job or have had to cancel trips; I'm sure things haven't been easy for you. Hope your situations improve soon...

Husband lost his job a week ago, had to cancel vacation. Thank Goodness the lady I purchased the points off of for DVC is selling my points to a friend. I lost a bit of money but I am still going to get something out of it. I am not going to lie, it sucks my heart is broken.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I considered postponing our vacation until next year but I already have the airline tickets confirmed and my autistic son is really counting on this trip so we're going. We may not go next year though and just plan a big trip in 2010.
My husband owns two large tire and automotive businesses and fortunately, his business, so far, has stayed steady and is pretty much on track with last years numbers so we are still going on our planned WDW vacation in December. We were planning on going to Hawaii in the coming year, but I am waiting to make any hard plans, at least for a little while. I'm hoping things will settle back down over the next few months (and air fares will drop a little!) and then we will see about Hawaii.

We are not canceling either. We already have all the money we need saved and our plane tickets are already paid for, for both of our trips. And like a few other posters have said, life is really too short, if I can go I'm going to go.

My husband owns two large tire and automotive businesses and fortunately, his business, so far, has stayed steady and is pretty much on track with last years numbers so we are still going on our planned WDW vacation in December. We were planning on going to Hawaii in the coming year, but I am waiting to make any hard plans, at least for a little while. I'm hoping things will settle back down over the next few months (and air fares will drop a little!) and then we will see about Hawaii.
Sorry, Mom2My3Kids, didn't mean to quote you in my reply. Must have hit the quote button by mistake. I wasn't addressing anyone in particular, just sharing my thoughts on the subject.

My family and I have been planning for MONTHS our first ever family WDW trip set for Thanksgiving. Because of the sudden huge economy scare, we are actually rethinking our decision to even go. My husband and I do have very secure careers but we have one in college and two coming up the ranks. We are very fiscally conservative and enjoy life that way. We have the vacation money set aside, but are thinking maybe we need to put it on hold til we see how the economy does and the ramifications of this whole mess.
Does anyone else feel the same way?

You've probably already got every thing paid for and budgeted for this trip. Why cancel? Won't help this economy at all.

We went to all the parks in Feb and as soon as we got home, I told DH that I wanted to go back in Feb of 2010 and that's been our plan. Now, I know that is awhile away but I've had that 'Disney' magic in my head about every day. My DH thinks I'm crazy, I went into a dance just last night planning out the days we'd be there and when he has to take off work etc. He tells me it's ridiculous to be so excited about something a year and half away. I tell him it's great to have something to look forward to. I'm jazzed already planning and thinking about visiting again. I am saving my disney reward dollars big time. Who knows how the economy will be in 2010 but unless there's a nuclear bomb - we're going!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter