Anyone else concerned about the crowd increase?

I am trying to figure out what to do, we leave in 4 days. My family really wants to ride ROTR last time we did not get a bp. I have MK on Sunday and HS on Monday.. I switched the days a few weeks back when MK changed closing to 8..
Should I scrap the HS idea and just go to AK.
My kids cant do 60-90 mins for 7 of the 9 rides.
No shows

Last edited:
We are going the second week of November and am definitely worried about the crowds. If they are increasing capacity, its only fair that they need to bring back FP.
Us too! We arrive Nov 7, lv on Nov 14th. We are DLR regulars, but are heading to WDW because we can't complete our trip to Tokyo Disneyland that week. Hubby & kids have never been there, I haven't been since 1995, and used to drive down from Chicagoland late 70s, early 80s as a kid for family WDW vacations.

We're excited to NOT have to deal with any Fastpasses. We know the crowds will be WAY less than a regular, non-pandemic WDW day. We are prepared to have to wait in lines - but waiting 45 minutes for a ride is better than like 120, and with nothing else to do in the parks, we are going to RIDE the RIDES! My kids are 11 & 13, so it's a bit easier to stand in line & don't have to worry about them fidgeting, etc.

I do hope that the crowds don't surge for the first weeks of Christmas decorations. We do like the no-planning aspect - the pre-planning component has kept us away from WDW, honestly - haven't made ADRs, we aren't really sit-down meals in parks people anymore. We were going to do DHS 2 days out of 5, but I think we'll change that to MK 2 days - we talked & if we don't get a boarding group for RoTR on the one day we're there, we'll suck-it-up and it'll still be a great day in the park. We know we'll head back to DLR soon enough, so we are extremely fortunate this isn't our one-and-done Disney trip, and are trying to live by that - we'll be back at DLR soon (probably before going back to WDW - father-in-law lives outside Annaheim!).

We just need a break, much like the rest of you. We took ZERO time as a family after March 13th, we had to save all our vaca time for Japan, then the reality of Japan not happening, WDW is plan b. We are excited, but our expectations are lowered - daughter MUST ride ToT, she hates Guardians at DLR, hubby MUST ride Soarin', son & I are flexible - we don't have any musts. We'll get our must-dos in & then take it as it comes. (Honestly, son and I were SO EXCITED for Primeval Whirl, then I read someone posted that it closed - looks just like Goofy's Sky School but spinning!. Darnnit!).

Too bad they can't do the day-of fastpasses like at DLR - that'd be an interesting concept!

Us too! We arrive Nov 7, lv on Nov 14th. We are DLR regulars, but are heading to WDW because we can't complete our trip to Tokyo Disneyland that week. Hubby & kids have never been there, I haven't been since 1995, and used to drive down from Chicagoland late 70s, early 80s as a kid for family WDW vacations.

We're excited to NOT have to deal with any Fastpasses. We know the crowds will be WAY less than a regular, non-pandemic WDW day. We are prepared to have to wait in lines - but waiting 45 minutes for a ride is better than like 120, and with nothing else to do in the parks, we are going to RIDE the RIDES! My kids are 11 & 13, so it's a bit easier to stand in line & don't have to worry about them fidgeting, etc.

I do hope that the crowds don't surge for the first weeks of Christmas decorations. We do like the no-planning aspect - the pre-planning component has kept us away from WDW, honestly - haven't made ADRs, we aren't really sit-down meals in parks people anymore. We were going to do DHS 2 days out of 5, but I think we'll change that to MK 2 days - we talked & if we don't get a boarding group for RoTR on the one day we're there, we'll suck-it-up and it'll still be a great day in the park. We know we'll head back to DLR soon enough, so we are extremely fortunate this isn't our one-and-done Disney trip, and are trying to live by that - we'll be back at DLR soon (probably before going back to WDW - father-in-law lives outside Annaheim!).

We just need a break, much like the rest of you. We took ZERO time as a family after March 13th, we had to save all our vaca time for Japan, then the reality of Japan not happening, WDW is plan b. We are excited, but our expectations are lowered - daughter MUST ride ToT, she hates Guardians at DLR, hubby MUST ride Soarin', son & I are flexible - we don't have any musts. We'll get our must-dos in & then take it as it comes. (Honestly, son and I were SO EXCITED for Primeval Whirl, then I read someone posted that it closed - looks just like Goofy's Sky School but spinning!. Darnnit!).

Too bad they can't do the day-of fastpasses like at DLR - that'd be an interesting concept!

I am a DLR AP with a reservation over NYE. I have a similar philosophy. I can miss some of the rides, even ROTR, because I can catch them when DLR opens. But Im still flip flopping about going. I don’t mind standing in line for an hour. That seems like a normal day at Disneyland. I do hope that more food places are open before we go. We are quick service people. I very rarely make a reservation at DLR.

We will be there November 14th through the 28th and like @heybets30, we are of the mindset if we get to ride ROTR great. If we don't, then we'll be okay. We have been over the Thanksgiving holidays the last three years and we used to travel in the Summer and have seen lines as long as 300 minutes so if I see a 45 minute or even a 60 minute wait for a popular attraction, we'll hop in the queue and wait it out. Last trip, we were wobbling from eating so much food and had decided to just do counter service for our 2020 trip; however, after reading about the problems people are having using mobile ordering, I did go ahead and book table service dinners for most of our days. It just seemed easier than dealing with 14 days of counter service meals and mobile ordering.

Can I ask an honest question for those stating “the parks were insane the waits were so long”

and I am really asking to get the perspective. Did you wait in those long line or did you just see the times on the app and decide not to ride?

I ask because I have followed touring plans on Instagram and multiple other folks who are in the parks on Instagram over the past several days. MANY of them are posting the posted wait times and then posting what they really waited. Most times it’s nearly half the amount. This included MK and DHS parks. So I’m just really wondering. We leave in 7 days.

We did wait the first 2 days. I found they were maybe 75% of the posted wait time. Avatar was posted as 45 and we waited closer to 35/40, Runaway was posted at 90 and we waited maybe 75. By the time we got to Magic we did not wait. Even at 50% - 75% of the posted wait times we just were not willing. But we come often enough it was ok to skip.

Like I said, I’m still glad we came, we just probably won’t do another trip until next fall. Usually we have been doing spring and fall.

You have the exact same attitude that we have going to WDW. We love not having Fastpasses. I have been twice since WDW reopened and love how the lines MOVE. Unless you hit a cleaning cycle, it is more like a slow stroll through the line, even if it is a 60 min stroll. We don't do ADRs and rely on QS to eat and have been just fine. We generally skip (or have a small snack) breakfast and have lunch around 11am before they get crazy crowded. Our best memories are from being spontaneous while at the parks. Having to pre-plan everything took that magic away from us.

Here since the 9 th. 9 th mk was nuts. We got there late and left after dinner. Sat 10/10 was a drunk Epcot. Omg. Too hot and loud obnoxious drunks. And that was moms pushing buggies. 10/11. Sunday we did pool. 10/12. DHS at 9 am. Got there. Rode SD in first half hr. Got off ride to do toy story and TS & SD lines out past little mermaid. I’m serious and not 6 ft apart or any distancing except at ride area that is under the SD area. Totally unsafe. Mickey ride line was snaked through the entire front of the theater to almost brown derby. We left. Not worth the risk of covid. Way to many people in those areas.

Here since the 9 th. 9 th mk was nuts.
I wonder what accounts for people having such drastically different experiences at the same park on the same day (not saying AT ALL that your account of the 9th at MK isn't accurate for what you saw), but I watched a live feed of someone walking all through MK on the 9th and it looked absolutely fabulous (crowd-wise) and was better than I would have expected for the start of a holiday weekend. Must be different times of the day, or where things are bottle-necking maybe?

Here since the 9 th. 9 th mk was nuts. We got there late and left after dinner. Sat 10/10 was a drunk Epcot. Omg. Too hot and loud obnoxious drunks. And that was moms pushing buggies. 10/11. Sunday we did pool. 10/12. DHS at 9 am. Got there. Rode SD in first half hr. Got off ride to do toy story and TS & SD lines out past little mermaid. I’m serious and not 6 ft apart or any distancing except at ride area that is under the SD area. Totally unsafe. Mickey ride line was snaked through the entire front of the theater to almost brown derby. We left. Not worth the risk of covid. Way to many people in those areas. I should say we are die hard Disney vets & came in august for 2 weeks. We came back cause august was super hot but safe. Don’t feel the safety thing now

I wonder what accounts for people having such drastically different experiences at the same park on the same day (not saying AT ALL that your account of the 9th at MK isn't accurate for what you saw), but I watched a live feed of someone walking all through MK on the 9th and it looked absolutely fabulous (crowd-wise) and was better than I would have expected for the start of a holiday weekend. Must be different times of the day, or where things are bottle-necking maybe?
Yes probably different times of day. First hrs are usually the best however we got there at 3 pm. Took 2 boats from WL to get there.

We will be there November 14th through the 28th and like @heybets30, we are of the mindset if we get to ride ROTR great. If we don't, then we'll be okay. We have been over the Thanksgiving holidays the last three years and we used to travel in the Summer and have seen lines as long as 300 minutes so if I see a 45 minute or even a 60 minute wait for a popular attraction, we'll hop in the queue and wait it out. Last trip, we were wobbling from eating so much food and had decided to just do counter service for our 2020 trip; however, after reading about the problems people are having using mobile ordering, I did go ahead and book table service dinners for most of our days. It just seemed easier than dealing with 14 days of counter service meals and mobile ordering.
We will be there some of the same days you are traveling, and I also recently booked sit down lunch and dinner reservations after reading about the mobile ordering issues. We had originally decided to do mostly counter service, but we do not want to deal with long waits in food lines after long waits in ride lines. We do not really like being locked into reservations, but I figured it will secure our food for a few days without worries and give us a guaranteed spot to sit without our masks for a while.

Is Sorcerer's available? I am thinking I might do that when the lines are super long in MK.

It's actually not that hard to explain. Capacity is actually down, it's just that with reduced hours and no fastpass to shorten waits, and with cleaning/social distancing on ride vehicles reducing ride capacity, more people are in lines all day long leaving walkways emptier. The crowds you see tend to be at clustering around ride entrances--e.g. in MK, the hub may look pretty empty, but over in frontierland near Splash and BTMRR, there will be a jam of people entering/leaving, or waiting for their party. So a blogger walking around not doing anything may seem to show a blissfully uncrowded park, but a guest riding everything may feel they spent all day in a crowd.

That explains the crowds/no crowds inconsistency. But there is another inconsistency in people's experience that has to do with mask wearing and compliance--some people say compliance is near perfect, other say they saw tons of noses and missing masks on kids etc. For that, I really think it is how much you are paying attention. It's easy not to notice what everyone around you is wearing or doing at a given time. And I don't believe the people reporting infractions are lying or imagining things. Of course, I'm a little biased, because when I went, I saw a LOT of mask infractions of the clearly intentional variety with people being rude to CMs.

We will be there some of the same days you are traveling, and I also recently booked sit down lunch and dinner reservations after reading about the mobile ordering issues. We had originally decided to do mostly counter service, but we do not want to deal with long waits in food lines after long waits in ride lines. We do not really like being locked into reservations, but I figured it will secure our food for a few days without worries and give us a guaranteed spot to sit without our masks for a while.
We did the same. There is really no flexible dine-whenever-you-want option. Either you make an ADR for a time in advance, or you make a counter service "reservation" on the mobile ordering app that still locks you into eating at specific time (your meal pickup window)--the difference is you don't have a guaranteed seat at the quick service and you may have to wait an hour or more for your food to be ready after you order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter