• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else concerned about the crowd increase?

We have a November trip and I’m definitely worried about long lines. I get that they are shorter than normal waits (and if I was a childless adult I might be happy), but with kids, even a 45 minute wait isn’t really feasible. My husband and I also have to use rider swap, so I am dissapointed we’ll be spending so much time apart on what’s supposed to be family vacation. Hoping they bring back FP to give flexibilty to those who can’t wait in longer lines 😕.

THIS!! My friend just got back from what was supposed to be her Disney Wedding trip and I found it absurd in all photopass pics her and her DH standing there, alone stationary with a mask on. Yet in her own personal photos 2 feet away are people standing, eating mask off - seems like a no brainer to section off photopass areas that are maskfree.

100% agree. If I can sit inside a restaurant 6 feet from someone else with no mask on why can't I stand OUTSIDE, 6 feet from others for a picture with no mask on?

We have been to Disney twice now since reopening. Once in July, and once for Labor Day weekend.

In July, we stayed at Wilderness Lodge DVC. Crowds very low. Many things not open. Sad to see MK with no strollers (I counted 5 one day). Wearing a mask sucks (especially outdoors), but if that is the rule, that is the rule.

For Labor Day, we stayed off site. Parks were much busier, but the social distancing on lines made it seem much longer than it was. I really did not have an issue with lines. I think the lack of as fastpass actually helps the situation, as there is now real stopping the standby line to inject a lot of people on the fastpass line. Of course, there were a few Rider Swap and DAS, but nothing like normal. Well, nothing is like normal anymore. Are you happy or smiling, I cannot tell as you have a mask on.

Our plan was to spend four days in the parks for Labor Day Weekend (Friday – Monday). As AP holders, we could only get reservations for three. My plan was to get a reservation for AK for Monday, the thought being that parked opened the earliest, and we would just go for a couple of hours before driving back home. I explained to my wife that this would be the test. If we could not get into a park on Monday, I would complain. She said who will you complain to. It is the same story for everyone.

I explained that I understood if we could not get into our “preferred” park, but as an AP holder, if we cannot get into ANY park, well, then the pass is worthless. As it turned out, Disney opened more reservations before the end of the weekend. We choose in the end not to make a reservation for Monday. With the lines increasing, was it really worth it just to go in and do FoP and EE? Perhaps if we did have a FP. But that was ok, just knowing I could get a park reservation made me feel better.

As others have stated, while the crowd levels are lower, the parks are operating at a very reduced capacity. While the social distancing does make the lines appear longer than they really are, many rides have seats blocked off to have dividers in place between parties. In addition, those groups of seats only hold one party, so you may now have a party of two taking up a section of four seats, plus a fifth seat for a divider. Other rides a party take up an entire car or train. So while six people can fit into a “train” at space mountain, it may be filled with a party of two of even one.

So while most rides are open, I would say most are running at a maximum of 50% capacity.

Without any shows, or character meets, there are less things to occupy people. With all those people waiting to go on the frozen ride, some of them may have been on the Anna and Elsa character meet line. Those lack of shows reduce the overall capacity. Indian Jones can hold over 2,000 people, while the Beauty and the Beast show can hold about 1500.. Finding Nemo and Festival of the Lion King in AK also hold about 1500 people each.

I have no idea of what the capacity of or how many people per hour the meet and greets handled, but there are a lot of them, across every park, and they do keep a lot of people busy.

Of course, that is in addition to other attractions that are closed. Everything from the Railroad, to Lilo and Stitch, to the various rides and attractions in DinoLand.

I would estimate the parks operating in this model probably have a capacity of only 25 – 30% of their normal capacity. I do not see that changing anytime soon.

Not that I blame Disney in the least for this. They need to get butts in seats to make money. They have to make money to keep the parks open. People are not going to pay admission to just “walk around”. I have said on this board before, Disney has not had a need to open a fifth gate, as the various special ticket events act like a fifth gate, yet using existing infrastructure. But with all of those special events cancelled (Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party & Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, Disney After Hours, Disney Villains, Disney Early Morning Magic, H2O glow nights, etc.), Disney is losing Millions there as well.

On the flip side, tried to sneak in a trip for this weekend. Fell apart for server reasons, but also because I was having a hard time getting a dinner reservation in Epcot. Reduced capacity, closed restaurants, and earlier closing times all killed that idea. So, Disney did lose out on some revenue this weekend form at least one family.

We were at the parks the first two weeks that they reopened in July. The low crowds were amazing! While we were wishing and hoping that October crowds would remain that low it wasn't realistic. Crowd level increases were bound to go up as more people felt that it was safe to vacation coupled with park capacity increasing, even if slightly.

Personally I'm glad that masks are still required. We wore them for two weeks this past summer and while it was hot we adjusted and managed. The key is to find the right mask that is breathable and fits you.

I'm concerned.

With no shows and no evening park hours, your entertainment is riding rides during the day, or shopping, or eating. I try to limit how much I shop or eat, so rides it is. If I have to spend most of my time standing in line, I won't get much entertainment. And that would mean there is very little point in going to WDW except to worry about Covid in different surroundings.

We have a November trip and I’m definitely worried about long lines. I get that they are shorter than normal waits (and if I was a childless adult I might be happy), but with kids, even a 45 minute wait isn’t really feasible. My husband and I also have to use rider swap, so I am dissapointed we’ll be spending so much time apart on what’s supposed to be family vacation. Hoping they bring back FP to give flexibilty to those who can’t wait in longer lines 😕.
Even though the standard FastPass+ is not available, The other fastpass options (Multi Experience FastPass, Recovery FastPass, Rider Swap, DAS, VIP Tours, etc.) are still operating via the Fastpass entrance.

Know your fastpasses:
Multi Experience FastPass - Automatically given to you if your ride is down when you have a fastpass time. May also be given out sometimes as a reward (think visiting a DVC presentation), or by customer service to "right a wrong"
Recovery FastPass - Given to you when you are already near the front of the line and the ride is shut down for an extended period - Cast member must scan you wristband to give it to you.
Rider Swap - One part of a party waits in line, while the other waits with a guest who cannot ride (think small child). When the first part of the party is now off the ride, the second part can go on via the fastpass line as they already "waited" their time once. See https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/ for the full info.
DAS - Disability Access Service - If someone in a party is disabled, the party gets a return time, and can then enter via the fastpass line at that time. Party may only have one "pass" at a time. This does not allow you to "skip" the line, more allows you to wait on the side. Basically if the line for Buzz Lightyear is an hour long, you can get the pass and come back in an hour. If the ride is then down, this is switched to a Multi Experience FastPass.
VIP Tours - If you have to ask, you probably cannot afford it...

The increase in crowds is KILLING me. Especially around RoTR as we have never ridden and only get one crack at it.

But Jersey Week is STILL ON. And with virtual school, the hotels are starting to pitch SchoolCations. Which is exactly what we are doing.
We are flying in Sunday night and staying in a 2 bedroom at Sheraton Vistana. Our kids only have in class on Thursdays and that week, we off that Thursday. And they only have virtual until 11:50AM.
So here is our schedule with a packed week.
Sunday Arrive (Disney Springs)
Monday 11:50AM School out(Universal)
Tuesday 11:50AM School out(Universal)
Wednesday 11:50AM School out (EPCOT)
Thursday Off (Hollywood Studios)
Friday Off (Magic Kingdom)
Saturday (Discovery Cove)
Sunday (Animal Kingdom) then fly home
I’m at the Sheraton Vistana right now in a 2 bedroom villa. You will love it! Have a GREAT time!

Even though the standard FastPass+ is not available, The other fastpass options (Multi Experience FastPass, Recovery FastPass, Rider Swap, DAS, VIP Tours, etc.) are still operating via the Fastpass entrance.

Know your fastpasses:
Multi Experience FastPass - Automatically given to you if your ride is down when you have a fastpass time. May also be given out sometimes as a reward (think visiting a DVC presentation), or by customer service to "right a wrong"
Recovery FastPass - Given to you when you are already near the front of the line and the ride is shut down for an extended period - Cast member must scan you wristband to give it to you.
Rider Swap - One part of a party waits in line, while the other waits with a guest who cannot ride (think small child). When the first part of the party is now off the ride, the second part can go on via the fastpass line as they already "waited" their time once. See https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/ for the full info.
DAS - Disability Access Service - If someone in a party is disabled, the party gets a return time, and can then enter via the fastpass line at that time. Party may only have one "pass" at a time. This does not allow you to "skip" the line, more allows you to wait on the side. Basically if the line for Buzz Lightyear is an hour long, you can get the pass and come back in an hour. If the ride is then down, this is switched to a Multi Experience FastPass.
VIP Tours - If you have to ask, you probably cannot afford it...
Thanks. Yes, I did know the second person can use FP still, but we only Rider Swap with FP anyway so the first person gets through relatively quickly. Even doing this on our last trip I was so over having to wait in line by myself and waiting while my husband was riding. By mid-day I just let me husband ride and skipped riding things so we could be together. I realize some if this is just the nature of Rider Swap, but now if we want to do any ride with a height requirement, the first person must wait in a much longer line so I’m just dreading it.

We're going in two weeks, I'm confident despite having no FP we're still going to get on some rides much faster than we would in a normal October. After six months of sitting in the house, eleven days of WDW even under current circumstances is going to be great!
I’m jealous of your 11 days compared to my 4.5, but I completely agree with the sentiment of “any Disney is better than no Disney” and getting the *bleep* out of the house and immediate area for a while 😁😁

As of now, we are still planning on coming in mid-Nov from MA, but the uptick in crowds and wait times has us rethinking our decision.

We're a ride happy crowd, but were ok with masks and lower stand-by times. Not concerned with fireworks or parades, but would love limited
park hopping if capacity allowed.

Since we have 3 AP's, and DVC , we still may err on the side of perhaps resort centric stay, but if the mask mandate goes away, we will cancel
immediately.

I don't know the right balance for park capacity vs ride queue capacity, but it seems counter intuitive to wait longer while covid is still ticking,
even if social distancing is in place. There's something depressing about seeing the End of Line at ToT 1/2 way down sunset.
if they are moving from 25% to 40% (purely made up) park capacity, they best increase ride capacity to match.

Let me set the record straight. I’m here at MK right now standing in front of SM. There is ZERO magic. ZERO social distancing. Most people are wearing masks. Good luck staying at least 6 feet from others. Today looks like a normal weekday. I live in FL been coming for 25 years. I’m dissapointed. I felt completely safe at Epcot yesterday as far as distancing goes and had a great day! Here no one cares. Can’t wait to leave in 2 hours. I found a sitting area near Galactic Gateway stage and there is 50 ft for people to avoid me yet they walk within 2-3 feet. All day long....There is going to be massive Corona spikes in Florida in the next 2-6 weeks. Forget waking near it’s a small world or 7 dwarfs you can’t get 2 ft away from anyone.

Because you’re spending >$50 on food and taking pictures is free.

Based on that logic I'm spending over $3000 on hotel and park tickets alone so I should be able to never wear a mask. LOL!! And MagicMaker is NOT free either. And I thought the mask requirement was a "safety protocol", now you're telling me it's based on the money I'm spending for the activity? Perhaps you were being tongue-in-check. :)

Based on that logic I'm spending over $3000 on hotel and park tickets alone so I should be able to never wear a mask. LOL!! And MagicMaker is NOT free either. And I thought the mask requirement was a "safety protocol", now you're telling me it's based on the money I'm spending for the activity? Perhaps you were being tongue-in-check. :)

You can buy a Mickey Bar for $6. Sit down somewhere. Remove your mask and eat it. Disney considers this safe.

You cannot sit down somewhere. Remove your mask and take a picture. Disney considers this unsafe.

Please tell me what the difference is.

To my mind, I am pretty sure that crowds and lines are just going to get bigger and bigger as more people start to travel. So you are waiting for lower crowds that will never be. Even with these increased crowd levels, it is still ridiculously slow compared to what it normally is. I can understand being worried about the virus and not going, but if you are waiting on lower crowds again, it's not going to happen.

Used to live in FL for thirty-five years and know WDW well. Crowds I can handle. Crowds while we have a pandemic I cannot. I’m fine with the Disney bubble and safety. I’m not fine “outside“ the WDW bubble. My comment about waiting was more to do with the announcement last week by DeSantis. For those that feel comfortable going then I’m all for it. We all have to make our own decisions based on the facts and how we feel. No one should feel shamed but I have seen some snippy remarks from the NON mask brigade on this thread.

You can buy a Mickey Bar for $6. Sit down somewhere. Remove your mask and eat it. Disney considers this safe.

You cannot sit down somewhere. Remove your mask and take a picture. Disney considers this unsafe.

Please tell me what the difference is.
While you're shoving that Mickey Bar in your mouth, you're blocking the COVID droplets from getting out. :joker:

I know this isn't a mask thread but it seems like many are trying to make it that...and until Disney announces no masks, just keep them on, even for pictures....even if there aren't people around. CM's have to wear them, so guests should too! Please be polite and courteous and keep them on at all times, "unless actively eating and drinking while stationary" Thank You!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter