Anyone ever have trouble getting an assessible room?

HugsForEeyore

DIS Veteran
Hi - this is my first post on this board - any help is sure appreicated!

Me and my good friend from college are planning a trip to Disneyworld the 3rd week of May. She has a very rare disorder (Ataxia) and is confined to a wheelchair. She will travel with her health aide, so they will need one room (I will get my own room with my family). They definately want to stay on-site. I think they are looking at the moderate resorts, possibly Caribbean Beach. I got some questions: :)

1. Are all handicap-assessible rooms king beds? Do some have double beds? Could be a tad awkward with one king bed!
2. Are handicap-assessible rooms the same as a barrier-free room? Are these rooms first come/first serve? Will they tell us when we call to make reservations if there are any available?
3. Has anyone ever had trouble getting a room - have you ever arrived and not gotten an assessible room? That would be a disaster for us!

Thanks for any information, since this will be her first trip to DisneyWorld!! :cool:

hugsmall3.gif

</IMG>

Welcome to disABILITIES. I see you have been around the boards a bit, but welcome for your first post here.
I have been told that if you request a handicapped accessible room, those are guaranteed. If you were to just ask for first floor for medical reaso ns, will almost definately get what you need, but it is not guaranteed.
Her best bet is to go thru WDW RESORTS/SPECIAL RESERVATIONS
(407) 939-7807 [voice]
(407) 939-7670 [TTY]
They know what is available and can make sure she gets a reservation for the ty pe of room she needs. There has been some discussion recently about just what kind of beds are in the fully accessible rooms. Click here for a link to discussion about rooms. and , for another thread Click here for more discussion.
Of all the moderates, CBR has the biggest rooms, but it is also the oldest of the moderate resorts. Since a lot has been learned about what makes an accessible room, the newer resorts may be better (unless you get a CBR room that has been renovated to be more accessible). I know that Wheelsie had accessiblity problems at DL, although I don't know just what her problems was. I know the food court there has a steep ramp to get to it from the check in area and some of the doors going outside fromthat building have only steps, no ramps. We found that out when we stayed there.
Good luck and your friend is lucky to have you checking up on these things.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Hi!
Two years ago we took my Mom to WDW and she is in a wheel chair. We stayed at the Caribean Beach. The room had two double beds. The sinks we a tad different than a regular room, they accomidated the wheel chair. The only thing that was a strugle was that the shower was not roll in. Their was a chair in the shower, but still the average high "lip" of the bathtub. It was kind of difficult. Many of the Home away from Home resorts have roll in showers which I feel would have been more convenient. In any case, the room was just perfect for us and they really helped to make our stay wonderful. Just a quick praise for the CBR... Northwest airlines lost part of my mothers wheel chair, and CBR left us borrow one for free one day until we purchased the parts we need for Mom's chair. The people at Disney are the best!

Wow - thanks for the info, Jillian!
That's very interesting - I called Disney and was told Port Orleans and Dixie Landings have double beds - Never a mention of whether Caribbean had them! I was very afraid the moderate hotels rooms would have very little maneuvering room for a wheelchair, but sounds like you did okay! When I called a couple of weeks ago to book our rooms, I was offered an upsell to Animal Kingdom Lodge! The room has a king bed, but I was assured I could get a roll-away bed (I sure hope they meant that!). I hope Animal Kingdom Lodge is a good choice since the room will be brand new, hopefully fully modern and up to code, and I believe the resort will not be at full capacity at that time (3rd week of May), so perhaps smaller lines/less crowds at the bus stop so it will be easier to get on the bus using the lift.

Thanks again for the reply - you are the first that I have read that actually stayed in an accessible room (with roll-in shower)with 2 beds!

hugsmall3.gif

</IMG>

We are DVC members so now stay at OKW.
However another idea that worked out great for us when we traveled with my parents was the fort wilderness cabins. They have accessible ones that sleep 6. Two in the living room-murphey double bed and the bedroom has a set of single bunks and a double bed. This may not work out depending on the size of your family.

We found it to be cheaper than 2 rooms and provided a kitchen which saved us a lot on morning breakfasts and snacks.

The last time we stayed at the Car. Beach the beds were REAL high and made a dependant transfer very difficult. Depending on your friends needs that is another consideration!

If you need more advise let us know!

Disneyland-'66,'81,
Car. Beach '89,
FW cabins 94,95
Joined the DVC 95 !
HH 9x, OKW 2x, BW 1x, Vero 2x, & Magic 2x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter