April 2014 car rentals

April 17-27, need mini van. SOOOOO glad I locked in at about $300 all in a couple months ago via Dollar City Special, as same dates now quoting at $2,200!! Unreal. I would probably have to cancel our trip and eat the downpayment on the house we renting if not for that rental rate. That extra $1900 for a car rental is NOT in the budget! Whew.

I'm with you. The car I have reserved for 04/12 - 04/18 at $167 is over $500 right now. :confused3

The old advice to wait for a month out and rates drop is NOT holding true this April, it seems. If not for the few days of City Specials that I found thanks to this board, I might be canceling the trip (flights booked with SW points thanks to the 50K point deal i found on this site!)

wanting to drive to Disney from iowa april 4 and return april 13

looking at car rentals, I have only ever used enterprise for some other trips

ok..I could use my truck, but I was looking at less wear on my vehicle and much better MPG

can anyone translate the size cars? I was looking at economy or compact thinking that would be best mpg, but those seem to be higher priced.
there is just 2 of us, so we don't need a ton of space

what size car is the best deal price per day vs mpg?

also, I see Disney AP has a discount with Alamo..is it a "real" discount or are better deals found elsewhere. I had considered upgrading this year to a AP, but weighing all options first. I go to Disney semi reg, but have always flown in the past

I'm renting a minivan for 4 days (4/10-4/14), but going from MCO to Cape Canaveral (for a 4-night Disney cruise!). Because it's one-way, it's costing me $282 ($50/day plus taxes). Not happy, but what can you do?

wanting to drive to Disney from iowa april 4 and return april 13

looking at car rentals, I have only ever used enterprise for some other trips

ok..I could use my truck, but I was looking at less wear on my vehicle and much better MPG

can anyone translate the size cars? I was looking at economy or compact thinking that would be best mpg, but those seem to be higher priced.
there is just 2 of us, so we don't need a ton of space

what size car is the best deal price per day vs mpg?

also, I see Disney AP has a discount with Alamo..is it a "real" discount or are better deals found elsewhere. I had considered upgrading this year to a AP, but weighing all options first. I go to Disney semi reg, but have always flown in the past

Most cars in the midsize and under are pretty good on gas. Rental companies list examples of car types by category so you can research the mileage but there is no guarantee you will get that exact model.

For discounts check: http://www.mousesavers.com/transportation-for-disney-vacations/rental-car-discounts/

Alamo seems to have dropped their prices for April 9-16 at least. It's down about $200 from the other day (so prices are almost 1/2 of what I was seeing). It's still $100 more than the $128 rate I got from Dollar a couple weeks ago. (But $128 is insanely cheap). The only issue I've been having when searching rates at Alamo is that so many of the discount codes won't work from me for MCO. The only coupon I've gotten to work is an upgrade one all the rest come up with an error that that location isn't accepting that coupon. Any one else have that happen or does anyone else have a good code for Alamo? I'd much rather go with Alamo than Dollar (previous bad experience with Dollar) But I can't justify spending $100 more just to go with Alamo.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but my Dollar rental 4/21 - 4/25 in Tampa, dropped again today and I am standing now at $72 for the rental of a compact car only using the City special. That's including taxes and fees.

I am very very happy.
Kris

I'm renting a minivan for 4 days (4/10-4/14), but going from MCO to Cape Canaveral (for a 4-night Disney cruise!). Because it's one-way, it's costing me $282 ($50/day plus taxes). Not happy, but what can you do?

A couple things to look at, not sure if they will work:

1. We have always used Budget for one-ways to cruise trips as they never charged a fee for one way.

2. For 4 days, you are getting daily pricing. 5+ days gets you weekly pricing, which is typically better. Try renting for the entire time and add in the cost of parking or see if any hotels in the area offer free parking with a stay (assuming you are staying one night before the cruise)

I have been searching for April 19 - 25th. I have a decent dollar city special already booked, but would prefer a rental company that I can just walk into the garage, grab my car and go. Nothing yet.

But, for those of you that haven't gotten anything decent yet and have a BJs Membership - I did notice that dollar is the cheapest right now with the BJs codes. (even cheaper than the City Special)

With Dollar, if you join Dollar Express you cn go directly to the garage. We found it very easy.

I have been searching for April 19 - 25th. I have a decent dollar city special already booked, but would prefer a rental company that I can just walk into the garage, grab my car and go. Nothing yet.

But, for those of you that haven't gotten anything decent yet and have a BJs Membership - I did notice that dollar is the cheapest right now with the BJs codes. (even cheaper than the City Special)

Definitely join Dollar Express! No reason to wait in line at the counter!

Noticed a slight dip in some rates for my April dates today. April 6-8.

Dollar city special - $142.72 for midsize.

Still have a slightly better rate at National using my corporate discount.

Are you able to skip the Thrifty counter and go straight to the garage if you are a Blue Chip Member? I can't find that information on their website.

Thank you!

Finally budget rates for 4/15-4/22 were less than Dollar! Still paying outrageous price- $589 for a minivan for the week but compared to $800-1,000 I was getting with Alamo and Busget, I am thrilled!

Finally budget rates for 4/15-4/22 were less than Dollar! Still paying outrageous price- $589 for a minivan for the week but compared to $800-1,000 I was getting with Alamo and Busget, I am thrilled!
OK, I don't feel so bad. Paying $282 for a minivan from 4/10-4/14.

Noticed a slight dip in some rates for my April dates today. April 6-8.

Dollar city special - $142.72 for midsize.

Still have a slightly better rate at National using my corporate discount.

Dollar prices lower today. Midsize is $136.67. Lock, low and go for $118.50.

Definitely join Dollar Express! No reason to wait in line at the counter!

But apparently if you don't rent from them frequently, they deactivate your membership. Happened to me. We used to rent from them a couple times a year but for a while we were getting better prices elsewhere. When I tried to access my membership for this trip I was told it was deactivated. Why??!? What is the point of that? Otherwise we have had good luck with them

Got my Dollar "Lock, Low and Go" price for 4/6 - 4/8 down to $110.98 today using AAA code and Dollar express.
What was the AAA code? I have it but have never received a code from them. Thanks in advance.

And anyone use any other codes for Dollar?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter