April 2023 W.I.S.H.-Showers-Flowers and Health!

It has been such busy week. Work is really stressful right now. It always is around this time. We have had some delays in selecting students for the scholarship, we are learning a whole new database (this was not the time for us to switch but it wasn't up to me) and we have a scholarship that normally gets about 50-100 applicants that got over 200 and I took vacation in the middle of everything. I am finally getting caught up on my applications that I need to read and rate and everything else is out of my control. The letters to the selected students need to go out on Monday. Once they are out and I know students got the right letter I will stop stressing so much.

I had a rough Wednesday. I woke up with a migraine and ended up going back to bed after taking medicine. Thankfully the meds kicked in and I was doing. I just had to stay up on my advil throughout the day. I am woohoo that it didn't last more then a day and I was able to get back to work and only miss about an hour.

I am thankful that I didn't need to take my migraine medicine on Wednesday. I try not to take it. I always start with advil and thankfully this time it worked.

In good news I have singed up to do the Mickey 100 virtual race. Over 2020/2021 (over the pandemic) I did a 5k every month and I really loved it. Which is funny because I am not a runner. Doing the Mickey 100 gives me a 5k in June, July and August. I will also be doing one at our zoo in October and a Christmas one in either November or December. Those last 2 will be in person. I am doing those with a friend. It takes me about an hour for a 5k but I got down to about 50 minutes when I was doing them over the pandemic so I would like to get back to there and maybe shed some more time off.

I have also set a goal for myself with my weight. DS will be a senior which means he will have senior nights for soccer and Marching band in the fall and tennis in the spring. Parents get up in front of everyone with their kids and I just look horrible and I really don't want to do this. I know I need to lose a lot of weight but I am going to but a goal of losing 10 pounds by September (this is about the time they will start). The 5ks will help but I need to get the eating under control too. I need to start tracking and weighing myself every day. Weighing every day has always helped me. I can see what I eat the day before and see how it effected me and make changes. I do track each day in Fitbit but really only look at the amount I lost during the month.

Yesterday was sheer perfection, weather wise. With sunshine all day you can really appreciate how late the sun is setting. I took breaks thru-out the day to get outside and do little things in the back yard, including putting up some new solar mason jar lights in the trees and bushes around the patio. They are so cute I ordered more to go along the side of the house as well.

Dinner number one is in the bag, or belly as it were. I did well by having a lovely salmon filet with a side of veggies. It was really good to get out and to chat with my niece for an hour+. The scale was as happy as my belly is this morning.

Weekend plans... Saturday morning I have to drive my niece and sister to the airport, which is going to be 4 hours+ round trip driving and ferries. It is a new to me route, so that'll be good, and I need to research some place fun to stop on the return trip. Sunday I'm not sure about yet, but it seems a shame to spend the day just on yard work, even tho that means being out side. Last night my Niece told me Practical Magic was filmed in Coupeville, which is basically where the ferry from my town goes to, so I'm thinking of going over there to scope out the filming sites.

Last edited:

Oh it has been a week! Ridiculousness at work and such but it's Friday. Had to go get DS7 from school he has a mild fever which is common for him during the spring. He is currently watching Thomas and Friends...can't believe he is going to be 8 tomorrow!
I did manage to get out for 2 half mile walks this week, one during lunch break another during a meeting I didn't need to "see." I really need to get back into the walking thing but since my lunch break is usually me driving home from the office to finish the day at home to do pickups it's tough. And did salad for lunch a couple days so that was good! Grabbed some lower calorie snacks as well...trail mix and poky.
I ordered some stuff from Amazon I need to return this weekend. A dress that fits well but the zipper is weird and I'm scared I am going to break it. And a few bras, I am between sizes so they fit weird. I don't want to go down a size because then I'll get the weird side/back rolls but they are on the tightest clasp brand new and that's not right either.
Assuming DS7 feels ok tomorrow we'll have cake for him in the afternoon and then DH and I have tix to our last show of the season. And next week is his First Communion, getting so big and such a busy few weeks!

We are going out tonight to celebrate middle DDs birthday (she turned 25 on Tuesday). We're going to cheesecake factory. I've already looked at the menu and decided what I'm getting. It's still higher in calories than I would normally eat for dinner, but my usual go to there would be something way worse, so I'll consider it a win. Also, I had a very light lunch, so I shouldn't be too far off for the day.

Other than that, we don't have too much going this weekend. We're thinking about re-doing our deck with the Trex decking boards, so I think we'll go to Home Depot or Lowes to check that out. It's either that or we're going to have to paint the deck which we really don't want to do. When we built the house, I wanted to go with the low maintenance deck to begin with, but the materials were in very short supply, so it wasn't really feasible at the time. I'm hoping the costs aren't too high and DH thinks we could probably sell the current deck boards to re-coupe a little from that to put towards it too.

Good Morning Everyone!

Social Saturday: I do struggle to be social due to fear of acceptance but I have met a great group of people at the SPCA which was a unexpected benefit of volunteering. It’s almost like a second family and I am so thankful for that. I also do a womens Bible study once a week and I love the group we have there and I definitely look forward to seeing them each Thursday!

This week has been a busy one for us! DD seems to have a million things going on!

I babysat my youngest niece yesterday and of course it poured down rain all day because this is our Friday tradition together 🤣 but we played inside and visited my sister in law so she could play inside with her kiddos for a bit.

Today DH and I are heading out to the SPCA to walk dogs this morning (in the pour down rain) DD works and then has a sleepover party to attend. DH asked me out on a date and I was lucky enough to get a reservation at a little Italian place near us, no tables were available but I got us a bar table which is fine the food is equally delicious!

I hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Before the pandemic, I was very socially active.

Over the years at church (not all at the same time), I sang in the Choir, taught Sunday School, was the Nursery Program Director, led the Youth Group, volunteered for the Appalachian Service Project, attended Bible Study, was active in the women's mission groups, and participated in multiple social activities affiliated with church. Now we don't even attend church in person. It just never seems safe. Whenever we get ready to get involved again, the Covid numbers go up and I get scared. My goal is to try to attend over the summer when we aren't traveling while the Covid numbers and attendance are at their lowest.

I used to see friends for "Girls' Nights" and go out for dinner and drinks. That is no longer a thing since 2020. We used to invite couples over, but most of our friends have moved away. (We live in an area where many transient corporate families only live in one place for a few years. Sadly we have lost many friends to out of state promotions.) I have been invited to brunch, but I hesitate because of my diet. I'm going to have to learn how to order more healthy choices in restaurants so I can socialize more. I plan to make a point of socializing more over the summer like inviting friends to hang out at the pool.

The good news is that I have reconnected with friends on Social Media. As you all know, in June, I will be meeting up with my childhood beach friend after 40 years apart. I can't wait to see my friend and meet her DD and grandson. That will be my social highlight of the year.

Number one would be learning something new, thru taking fun classes and doing crafting retreats. One of my intentions of moving to my new little town is to gather a group of girl friends for doing things together. I can clearly see my future coven sitting around the fire pit on the patio drinking wine and giggling. This will be an entirely new social scene for me.

I sometimes have to "make" myself be social. I tend to want to stay home, but always enjoy it when we go out. I'm not really sure what my problem is.

From the graphic, I'm thinking about taking up a new sport - pickleball. I don't know that it's necessarily a group sport, but I believe you have to play with 3 other people, so at least there's that lol. Our town put in new pickleball courts last summer and I have never used them. I just hear great things from people who play though. I think it would be a great way to get a little exercise and be social at the same time.

Before the pandemic, I was very socially active.

Over the years at church (not all at the same time), I sang in the Choir, taught Sunday School, was the Nursery Program Director, led the Youth Group, volunteered for the Appalachian Service Project, attended Bible Study, was active in the women's mission groups, and participated in multiple social activities affiliated with church. Now we don't even attend church in person. It just never seems safe. Whenever we get ready to get involved again, the Covid numbers go up and I get scared. My goal is to try to attend over the summer when we aren't traveling while the Covid numbers and attendance are at their lowest.

Our church participates in an Appalachian Service Project too - I wonder if it's the same? We go to rural areas (we've always gone to Kentucky) and each group works on a house for a week. Our church participated when I was a youth and started participating again about 6-7 years ago.

I hope if you want to, you can start feeling safe going back to church in person again. I will say that the options are so much better since covid to attend online services. Our church still offers that - the service is on facebook and youtube, so it allows people to still stay connected in that way.

Our church participates in an Appalachian Service Project too - I wonder if it's the same? We go to rural areas (we've always gone to Kentucky) and each group works on a house for a week. Our church participated when I was a youth and started participating again about 6-7 years ago.

I hope if you want to, you can start feeling safe going back to church in person again. I will say that the options are so much better since covid to attend online services. Our church still offers that - the service is on facebook and youtube, so it allows people to still stay connected in that way.
Yes, ASP. My first trip at 15 was to Pippa Passes, Kentucky. We've been to Tennessee. My last trip was West Virginia when DD was in high school herself.

We attend online, but it's just not the same especially after being so active in church. We also switched churches right before the pandemic, so we aren't feeling connected in any way shape or form. Hopefully this summer I can make some progress with that goal.

Yes, ASP. My first trip at 15 was to Pippa Passes, Kentucky. We've been to Tennessee. My last trip was West Virginia when DD was in high school herself.

We attend online, but it's just not the same especially after being so active in church. We also switched churches right before the pandemic, so we aren't feeling connected in any way shape or form. Hopefully this summer I can make some progress with that goal.

How neat! I never went as an adult, but went as a youth and my kids have gone as well.

I hope you can too. Church families are so special!

I sometimes have to "make" myself be social. I tend to want to stay home, but always enjoy it when we go out. I'm not really sure what my problem is.

From the graphic, I'm thinking about taking up a new sport - pickleball. I don't know that it's necessarily a group sport, but I believe you have to play with 3 other people, so at least there's that lol. Our town put in new pickleball courts last summer and I have never used them. I just hear great things from people who play though. I think it would be a great way to get a little exercise and be social at the same time.
Pickle ball was actually invented here in Washington State. It’s also on my list of things to try, but the local group is on Facebook, which I don’t do, so I need to figure that out. Hope you try it and report back.

Getting a slow start this morning... it isn't going to be as warm and sunny today.

I used the new mower yesterday, and I love her. I'm going to start mowing weekday evenings, partly so the weekends aren't committed to doing it and partly because a battery charge will do about half the yard, so I'll do half one evening, charge over night and then do the other half.

The drive to the Edmonds Airport was stress free. Going we practically drove right on to the ferry, coming back the line was way up the hill and I waited quite a while but was one of the last cars on the next boat that came, so again good ferry luck. Had a nice lunch and walk around in Port Gamble... another beautiful road trip day.

Today I think my trusty little car and I are headed to the fancy grocery store in Poulsbo, after that it'll be (finally) working on getting a couple of the raised beds ready. There will also be napping, knitting and reading.

After church, Sundays are typically spent at my mom's with my sister's family for lunch and my MILs with DHs sisters and families for dinner.

Today, lunch is out to eat for DD2s birthday with my mom, sister and her family. We are then going over to my MILs to do some work for her. She has an old freezer in her shed and my SIL got a newer one for her, so we're going to work on getting everything cleared out and set up in the new freezer. I think we're also going to work on getting her yard ready for summer. It's super windy and chilly here today, so definitely going to have to take a jacket and sweatshirt.

Should be a good day outside getting some fresh air!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter