Aqua Seas vs. Divequest

jsgabel

Earning My Ears
We're traveling to WDW this weekend. My husband (PADI certified and an experienced diver) has done Divequest before (about 2 years ago) and loved it. I was thinking of making him a surprise reservation for this trip, and have since learned about the new Aqua Seas program and was considering making an reservation for us to do it together (I am not a diver), but am reluctant to commit to the $200 expense for both of us.

If anyone can help me with the following questions, it would be much appreciated!

* I have snorkeled in the past (and enjoy it), but do sometimes get a bit anxious about the breathing. Is the regulator-type snorkel used in the Aqua Seas program much more difficult—or a lot more fun?

* If you go with a partner, do you have the opportunity to stick with them and explore together – or is it more of a group event? Is it a plus to do it as a couple?

* Would an experienced diver be bored by/frustrated by the limitations of Aqua Seas?

And – for divers who have done Divequest multiple times . . . is it just as fun the second time?

Any more detailed reports on the Aqua Seas experience (I’ve already read Deb’s very helpful report on wdwig) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I have not done the Aqua Seas or Dive Quest myself, but I'm bumping you back to page 1 for some answers. :)

I'm interested in hearing about Aqua Seas as well!

Anyone?

I am currently scheduled for Aqua Seas with my 10 year old daughter on November 3. I will be happy to provide any information after that, or you can use the following link for more information now.

http://www.wdwig.com/tours.htm#aqua

Kevin Taylor

An update on Aqua Seas!

I was the original poster. We’re back now – so I wanted to give you an update.

As I mentioned – my husband is a pretty experienced diver who has done Dive Quest at WDW before. I planned Aqua Seas as a surprise (something we could do together). Even though he was looking forward to it, I did sense at first (when I told him the day before) that he’d honestly rather dive again (to give you a sense of his expectations).

The program is $100/adult (not sure what it is for kids) and lasts about 2-2.5 hours. The tour group is met outside the park and led backstage to The Living Seas. Though both DH and I have been backstage before, it’s always fun to see a little behind the scenes action.

There were about 10 total participants in our group (takes up to 12). Myself and DH, two other adults, a father and daughter, about 10, (they came about an hour late, but still met up with us in the locker room), and a family of four with two daughters – perhaps 9 and 12. The guy meeting us was very nice and helpful, but he was a ½ hour late . . . which was a MAJOR bummer because it left us sitting out in the sun (losing park time) doing nothing for a very long time.

Once he arrived, he took everyone’s T-shirt sizes and wet suit and bootie sizes. Then we headed back.

First stop (after a brief tour of the inside of The Living Seas) was a room where we all signed waivers and watched a brief DVD about the experience and what was in the tank, got very basic rules, and got a brief intro to the equipment. It was at this point (after seeing the sharks featured on the DVD) that the younger girl in the family decided to back out, for fear of the sharks. I realize that #1, no one should ever be forced to do anything they don’t feel comfortable with and #2, the animals in the tank are safe but no guarantees can ever be mad about living creatures . . . but it really seemed that someone (on the DVD or one of the LS cast members/dive masters) should have taken the time to really explain the feeding and habitation process of ALL the animals in the tanks, that they are much more used to human presence than animals in the open oceans, and the difference between different species of sharks (they’re not all great whites, etc.). But they didn’t seem to try at all and just said “OK.”

Anyway – then it was off to the locker room where we changed into shorty wet suits (over bathing suits) and booties. Once the group was ready (which takes a long while) we walked through the exhibit (very fun), and up the central ladder to the top of the tank (again, very cool).

We popped in the water and put on the waiting fins (a little awkward, but no big deal). The SAS (Scuba Assisted Snorkel) vests were also ready for us, as were masks. Those not experienced with diving/snorkeling should know that you can’t wear glasses under a mask (my DH has a prescription mask or brings contacts) and one lady in our group had not been told ahead and so had do go sans glasses or anything (I hope she could still see).

The SAS vest is a little like a simplified BC vest (that divers use). The tank is attached to the back, and the combo of the vest and the tank keeps you SO buoyant that you can’t possibly sink or free dive (strictly forbidden anyway). Attached to the tank is a regulator (just like used in diving). It goes in your mouth and you breathe normally. It takes a moment (for non divers) to get used to the sensation, but it’s pretty easy after that. Once the equipment is on, the cast members take a digital photo of just your party (so, just me and DH in this case). After that, you put on your mask and away you go into the tank.

They tell you to head back once you’re down to 500 psi of air left . . . .but DH and I came no where close to that . . . so the dive masters called everyone in around the ½ hour mark.

Once you’re with your buddy or group, you’re pretty much given free reign to swim around the whole tank (though you must keep some distance from the very edge and also from the dolphin area). DH admitted that—even though we were limited to the surface—the tank is shallow enough and the visibility SO good (much better than you usually encounter in the ocean) that you get to see just about everything you see diving.

Admittedly, it’s not as beautiful or varied (color wise, etc.) as a natural coral reef (Caribbean, etc.) but the amount of animals you get to see is phenomenal . . . and because they are used to having people in the tanks, they often come quite close up. The rays are wonderful. The two very best things were the GIANT sea turtle (we spent a lot of time swimming around, watching him . . . it’s cool to follow/watch when they surface for air) and watching the people in the exhibit and waving to them—that is immense fun.

The water is cool, but not cold and the wet suit did a pretty fine job of keeping me warm enough (though I started to get chilly at the very end).

Once you’re out and off with the equipment (while others were still coming out, we did get to watch the dolphins a bit from the top of the tank), it’s back down the cold passage to the exhibit then back to the locker to change. The women’s locker room had shampoo, conditioner, and body wash in the showers and also hair dryers. Other plusses (like you find at spas) would have been a really been nice (powder, spray deodorant, moisturizer, etc.).

Once all were out of the lockers – back up to the first room to fill out a survey, get our t-shirts (very pretty white t-shirts with green and purple Aqua Seas logo) and a printed digital photo of your party in an Aqua Seas cardboard slip – very nice. Then back out into EPCOT.

All in all, very fun and I’m so glad we did it. Scuba-diving DH admitted that—while it wasn’t AS fun as actually diving—that you really do get to see almost everything (animal wise) from the surface that you would see diving.

I like that for $100/p adult you get a T-shirt and a photo (no trying to get you to buy photos or videos as with the SCUBA program), but there was a promise of “refreshments” that were NEVER offered. When DH did DiveQuest 2 years ago he was given munchies and repeated offers of sodas, etc. (heck, they even gave me a soda). Especially since they made AquaSeas 12:15-3 (DiveQuest is at 4:30 and 5:30), and because it’s one of the only tours at WDW available for whole families (since under 16s can do it), I wish they’d made missing lunch less of a hassle, especially for $100/pp . . . Earlier time? More formal/extensive sacks? Snacks, period? Voucher for meal at EPCOT?

All in all – very fun. I’m happy to answer any and all questions!

Thanks for the report! My 8 y/o daughter and I will be doing this in early October, and it is nice to read peoples experiences w/the tour! It sounds like it will be alot of fun for us.

Just in case anyone wants to know the child prices are the same as the adults. You can get AP, DVC and DC discounts. All are 15% off if memory serves me correctly :)

My boyfriend and I are also doing Aqua Seas in September. We were able to get 15% through a AAA discount.

Really?!? I must have asked about 10 times - no AAA discount for me. They did give DH a 10% discount for being a member of PADI. Alas.

Originally posted by jsgabel
Really?!? I must have asked about 10 times - no AAA discount for me. They did give DH a 10% discount for being a member of PADI. Alas.

When I got my FTP packet from my travel agent, it had a Silver Diamond card in it (the name was something like that anyway), which has discounts for restaurants, tours, merchandise, etc. The card is just a cheap cardboard punch-out, so I dont know if it is something special that my travel agent just put into our package or what. It does have some pretty good deals though. Maybe we got it because we booked through AAA. :confused:

I'm going to book Dive Quest tomorrow, especially now that I know I can get a discount for being a PADI member. I can't wait to do this; something I've wanted to do since I saw the divers at the living seas when I was a wee boy. :teeth:

Hello all,
I did the Dive Quest back in 98 ...
Great time...
I took my DS for the Aqua Tour on monday 8/25
we had a blast
I like the breather better than just a snorkel...
but it was just tempting me to do the Dive again....
ED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter