Are there any great flight deals around at the moment?

I could've saved around $1350 if we had've gone with United but since they don't have the entertainment systems, I couldn't put myself through the pain of the whining kids LOL :lmao:
Have you considered buying the kids portable dvd players?
On a flight to the US this girl about 5-6ish? was SOOO organised :lmao:
She had her portable dvd player and headphones and everything set up before we took off! It was fairly compact so not huge to lug around...but still a screen no smaller than the in seat.
True you don't get the 'new' movies...but given all the dvds and players you could buy with the $1350 just a thought. You could even buy a couple DS and games as well :thumbsup2
And as for how long it lasts...she was using it for hours and they don't have the plugs to plug them in. It was just so cute. :flower3:

I'm pretty sure the 'rules' are still that you need to be under 35 to book with STA???
But regardless...these offers are getting insane!!!
Got this email today

For one day only we're giving you flights cheaper than ever with $100 off any flight to the USA. That’s on any dates, with any airline. So you can get to the States from $819 if you book today or $719 if you book tomorrow!

To book call 134 STA (782) or pop into your nearest branch tomorrow (Wed 7th July) between 9am-5pm (EST). Hurry, only available for the first 50 bookings!

Have you considered buying the kids portable dvd players?
On a flight to the US this girl about 5-6ish? was SOOO organised :lmao:
She had her portable dvd player and headphones and everything set up before we took off! It was fairly compact so not huge to lug around...but still a screen no smaller than the in seat.
True you don't get the 'new' movies...but given all the dvds and players you could buy with the $1350 just a thought. You could even buy a couple DS and games as well :thumbsup2
And as for how long it lasts...she was using it for hours and they don't have the plugs to plug them in. It was just so cute. :flower3:

I think that's a great idea Queenie. I can totally see that working for little ones extremely well. I think my bigger kids, and the biggest kid of all, DH would struggle with the concept even for a whopping saving of $1350 :rotfl2:.

I did look into the Beacon Hotel, however we really want to be in Times Square and felt it was a little too far away from where we wanted to be.

Can you tell me more about other things it was near, how long to get to Times Square etc?

Sorry for not replying sooner. According to Google maps it is about 12 minutes on the Subway. The station nearby had lines 1,2 & 3 stopping there. We walked from FAO Shwartz back to the hotel and it took about 40 (sightseeing/stopping) minutes.

As far as tourist attractions, you are within walking distance of the Natural History Museum, Central Park (we entered near the Imagine Mosaic) and the Lincoln Centre. There was flea-markets on the Sunday morning just next to the museum. We also visited the shop of the NY museum - but did not tour the galleries.
You are also right next door to the Beacon Theatre - Cirque du Soliel was about to open when we were there.

We saw the main benefits of the hotel - having two rooms (a definite plus with two teenagers and ten nights), the kitchenette, Fairway Markets across the road and the neighbourhood was lovely.

Sorry - off topic.
Ms Shuttergirl, we have a good friend who has been to NY 3 times & swears by the Beacon Hotel. She says the subway is within a block & only takes about 10 to 15 minutes to Times Square. Extra space with the 2 bedroom options for a reasonable price & she says a phenomal deli across the street.
We have also been 3 times & stayed around the Times Square area each time. Being right there is definately a bonus, but if comes down to budget, from what I have heard the Beacon Hotel would be an excellent choice. In fact when we go next time (we probably won't be doing EVERY major tourist sight again) this is where we will staying.

Back on topic - how good are all these specials? Let's all hope they last for a long while to come (& may the dollar stay strong!)

thanks for the reviews on the Beacon Hotel. Sounds like a good place to stay if budget and space are going to be key factors.

We've ended up booking The Hilton New York. We've had friends stay there before and they loved it. It's a few blocks off where we stayed last time and I think will give us a slightly different experience which is always good.

I've finally tracked down your story, Ms Shuttergirl! How very exciting! :banana:

And I must say that before our trip I was calling it "once in a lifetime" and several of you said I'd be rethinking that afterwards. Well, you can say "I told you so", we are all already talking about next time :rotfl:. I'd still like to travel to other places (have spent the morning pouring over a friend's Tokyo Disney maps!), but I can't wait to get back to the US. We had an absolute ball!

Hey, here's a reason to book your flights early - I booked our flights back in March for January 2011. On Wednesday, I checked what the same flights would cost again - they are now an extra $1300 between myself and my daughter!

Although it's still too early for us to book our airfares for next October, I know last year the specials started coming out in October so it'll be soon. However, I have this awful feeling that the airlines may not bring out any specials for travel next September/October because that's when the Rugby World Cup is over here :mad:

Just reading this thread has given me an idea though! :thumbsup2 Maybe I should keep track of the specials to Orlando ex Oz and then, if a really good one comes out, it might be cheaper for us to fly over and pick it up.

We bought our tickets a few months ago for next month. The same flights are now nearly $1000 more per ticket with V. So as much as I wish we had waited to get our US $$$$ instead of panicking and buying it at 70c, we have still saved a fortune for the five of us :thumbsup2

Although it's still too early for us to book our airfares for next October, I know last year the specials started coming out in October so it'll be soon. However, I have this awful feeling that the airlines may not bring out any specials for travel next September/October because that's when the Rugby World Cup is over here :mad:

Just reading this thread has given me an idea though! :thumbsup2 Maybe I should keep track of the specials to Orlando ex Oz and then, if a really good one comes out, it might be cheaper for us to fly over and pick it up.

Travel mum you should also be able to do free dining if you are going in October (early?) as WDW has in the last few years offered this if you are staying on site. Save you a ton of money:thumbsup2 Just food for thought.:goodvibes

Travel mum you should also be able to do free dining if you are going in October (early?) as WDW has in the last few years offered this if you are staying on site. Save you a ton of money:thumbsup2 Just food for thought.:goodvibes

Yes, I'm really counting on that and, although I've just booked POR for 7 nights from 01 Oct 2011 with QSDP, I do hope the Free Dining comes along! In my budget, I've actually budgeted for free dining so will be a bummer if it doesn't work out that way and might mean I have to totally change the plans and stay off-site with us just paying for one expensive Disney-priced meal a day while we are in the parks which would be lunch. Have booked with Dreams for the reason that I understand they will monitor the free dining for me for me :)

I see your free dining has come in travelmum!

YES, and I can't belive it's come out so early for that late in the year! It makes it feel really real now because I was not so sure I'd stay onsite if I couldn't get free dining (with our tiny 10 year old having to pay adult prices I wasn't thillled) but never expected to know by now! The only thing is that we have to go two days earlier now as we have to check in by 29 September. Not ideal for taking DD13's for an extra two days out of high school (in addition to the 7 days she was already taking) but still fantastically exciting :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter