Are there any great flight deals around at the moment?

I feel like Danny Zuko in Grease when they just come back from holidays and the T-birds are hounding him for the details...

"Tell me more, tell more more, did you get very far, uh huh, uh huh. :rotfl2:"

Grease is my favourite movie EVA!!!!!!!!!!!

Not too much to tell just yet. Was feeling like I wanted a holiday, kept thinking about free dining, started doing a little dabbling on the net looking at flights and contacted my friend the Disney TA to get a price, looking at Pop Century as this needs to be more of a budget trip. Looked into NY accom, etc.

Then I just decided to send him an email at work laying out all of the pricing and details. Mentioned how this would just be WDW and NY, no rushing, not too much sightseeing, just relaxing by the pool, wandering around the parks "non commando style" (ummm, I may have lied about that one, rope drop here I come LOL), leisurely shopping in NY and he is hooked on baseball since our last trip so I just mentioned how if the Yankees get into the Playoffs we could go to Yankee Stadium and watch a game.

I pretty much had him at hello then :rotfl2:.

And no, it didn't involve any alcohol, well not yet anyway :rotfl:.

He rang me last night from work and said "it goes completely against my better judgement, but ok"

Now in DH speak, that means:- WOOOOOOHOOOOO, LETS DO IT, GREAT IDEA WIFE :cool1:.

Well that was what I heard in my head anyway :lmao:.

Don't need to tell me twice, I am in full on planning mode and will need all of your help to get it happening with such late notice. I am such a planner, this is making me feel slightly sick that it is so close :sick:.

Let the planning begin...

I feel like Danny Zuko in Grease when they just come back from holidays and the T-birds are hounding him for the details...

Not too much to tell just yet. Was feeling like I wanted a holiday, kept thinking about free dining, started doing a little dabbling on the net looking at flights and contacted my friend the Disney TA to get a price, looking at Pop Century as this needs to be more of a budget trip. Looked into NY accom, etc.

Then I just decided to send him an email at work laying out all of the pricing and details. Mentioned how this would just be WDW and NY, no rushing, not too much sightseeing, just relaxing by the pool, wandering around the parks "non commando style" (ummm, I may have lied about that one, rope drop here I come LOL), leisurely shopping in NY and he is hooked on baseball since our last trip so I just mentioned how if the Yankees get into the Playoffs we could go to Yankee Stadium and watch a game.

He rang me last night from work and said "it goes completely against my better judgement, but ok"

Now in DH speak, that means:- WOOOOOOHOOOOO, LETS DO IT, GREAT IDEA WIFE :cool1:.

Don't need to tell me twice, I am in full on planning mode and will need all of your help to get it happening with such late notice. I am such a planner, this is making me feel slightly sick that it is so close :sick:.

That is just so exciting, congratulations! We are having a non commando WDW trip too, particularly with my torn artery, I will have to take it easy. But yes, we will be at rope drop, LOL. Pop looks great, we haven't stayed there but it does look fantastic. NY is just the hard thing to do on a budget in the accommodation area :rotfl: isn't it! The Doubletree where we are staying, is 3.5 star and for the 7 nights that we are there the price varies from $500 a night to $700 a night :eek: It is just one of the nights that is $700 but that is just for a poverty pack room, nothing special and three and a half star! But Expedia had a 24hr % off sale so we booked then and saved a bit.

Anyway I am very excited for you. The one good thing about going in only two and a half months is that you don't have much time to wait, you will just finish planning and be on your way. I organised our last WDW trip in about 7 days, so 2.5 months will be great.

Congratulations again pixiedust: and happy planning!

OMG 7 days, you would have to be joking. I wouldn't be able to do it LOL.

Doubletree seems a bit dear to me. We stayed at Crowne Plaza and the location was insanely awesome. We can stay there again for 5 nights for $2200US. However, no microwave/fridge. Radio City Apartments are fully booked (bummer) and I am looking at The Belevedere which would be just over 2k inc. microwave/fridge. Most of the reviews are good, just lately the reviews are a bit hit and miss so I'm nervous.

Do I go better the devil you know :lmao: with Crowne Plaza? It really was lovely, just won't be able to eat breakfast in the room which will cost us more.

Thanks for the good wishes, it really is kind of surreal at the moment.

Doubletree seems a bit dear to me. We stayed at Crowne Plaza and the location was insanely awesome. We can stay there again for 5 nights for $2200US. However, no microwave/fridge. Radio City Apartments are fully booked (bummer) and I am looking at The Belevedere which would be just over 2k inc. microwave/fridge. Most of the reviews are good, just lately the reviews are a bit hit and miss so I'm nervous.

Do I go better the devil you know :lmao: with Crowne Plaza? It really was lovely, just won't be able to eat breakfast in the room which will cost us more.

No, I'm not joking :rotfl2:. 7 days, booked it, made ADR's, packed, took my son out of school and off we went :lmao: I don't know, we just decided to go, after a death in the family, it had been a really really rough few weeks leading up to it so we just wanted to get away and somewhere to bring some smiles after all of the sadness and where better than Disney! :thumbsup2 So we just booked about 4 days before we went and off we went (we stopped in Hawaii on the way home too). We had been to WDW before so had a idea on what we liked to do and what we didn't.

Decisions decisions, I would go with the devil you know :rotfl: but that's just me. I am a creature of habit and when you are on a good thing, I like to stick with it. I have my favourite hotels in different cities around the world and I rarely change unless the place goes downhill and it's time to move on. But you've been to NY before so you may know the other hotels and know the area they are in. I only went with the Doubletree because I really don't know NY at all and it had good reviews on tripadvisor and seemed to be in a great location (although having never been to NY it could be in a terrible location :rotfl: )

Good luck with your decision.:goodvibes

Great work, Shuttergirl! :thumbsup2 No wonder you posted the story in the other thread...did it ring true to you???

Do you have any connections for a corporate rate at Doubletree? In 2007 (and it was a few years ago now), the rack rate was $450 but we managed to get a corporate rate for $300 per night.

Awesome :wave:

I'd get cracking on the ADRs first up. You can always cancel ones you don't need etc.
The only ones you pre pay for are Cindy and Hoop de du.

Good luck with NYC. I know it is REALLY tough...

ETA - Can I chuck you a loaded curve ball.
I know you are tightening the budget on this trip.........but.......if you want to go to Niagara....this is the time of year to go :rolleyes1 :surfweb:

Ms Shuttergirl I'm so excited for you :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I almost get as excited for others as I do myself. And I agree that I think it's better not having to wait too long for your trip to come around. Christmas next year just seemed to long off to get excited about. We have 10 weeks and 6 days and I said to DH yesterday that it feels like a good amount of time to anticipate and get excited (even though I hope September rolls around really fast )

Can't wait to hear more about it. Do the kids know?????

Ms Shuttergirl I'm so excited for you :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I almost get as excited for others as I do myself. And I agree that I think it's better not having to wait too long for your trip to come around. Christmas next year just seemed to long off to get excited about. We have 10 weeks and 6 days and I said to DH yesterday that it feels like a good amount of time to anticipate and get excited (even though I hope September rolls around really fast )

Can't wait to hear more about it. Do the kids know?????

Thanks Lovintheland. It is exciting.

We haven't told the kids yet. Trying to think up a cool way again. Last time I did the treasure hunt thing with clues all over the house, then a Disney hangman game at the end and then that directed them to a present under their pillow which had their passports and a disney t-shirt in along with an itinerary.

I don't have an itinerary set yet, this trip is more free flowing and holiday like and we are going to less places. I do have some cute Disney clothes stashed away so still like the idea of a gift with that and their passports but just can't think of a cute way to tell them.

I feel stressed though because they still talk about how cool that treasure hunt was.

Any ideas peeps?

My kids still rave about how cool our treasure hunt was before their first trip three years ago. Last year they just kind of knew but I think the balloon at the door is going to be a hit. Especially because quite often when we get home and if there is a parcel at the front door one of us will say, wouldn't that be good if it was from Disneyland telling us to pack our bags.

I also am putting gifts in the bottom on the big balloon box.;)

You know, I might do something like this also. I just can't think of anything that is different from last time.

I think too it needs to be something totally unexpected. If it was done in a way that there were clues or a game or something they might smell a rat. I know mine would. So a total out of the blue surprise is the way to go for mine this time. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH Mrs Shuttergirl, what a surprise I have just got! I've been off the boards for the last few days so am just having a catch up and what huge news you have!! I'm so happy for you but must admit I'm quite envious too because, we were both going to have the long wait until our 2011 trips and now only I will! So, I'm just sitting here and reminding myself how much I do love the planning/researching part of a Disney holiday :rotfl2: Anyway, good for you and how super exciting :cheer2:

I think too it needs to be something totally unexpected. If it was done in a way that there were clues or a game or something they might smell a rat. I know mine would. So a total out of the blue surprise is the way to go for mine this time. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gosh, I'm really now beginning to wish my girls didn't know about our 2011 Orlando trip, but in reality, I do know I couldn't keep it quiet for long. However, since we haven't booked our flights yet, maybe I could tell them we are going on October 2 and then when they wake up on October 1, surprise them (in some fun way) that we are actually going that day. Hmmm, will start keeping my mouth shut about dates from now on, just to leave my options open :rotfl2:

We haven't told the kids yet. Trying to think up a cool way again. Last time I did the treasure hunt thing with clues all over the house, then a Disney hangman game at the end and then that directed them to a present under their pillow which had their passports and a disney t-shirt in along with an itinerary.

I don't have an itinerary set yet, this trip is more free flowing and holiday like and we are going to less places. I do have some cute Disney clothes stashed away so still like the idea of a gift with that and their passports but just can't think of a cute way to tell them.

I feel stressed though because they still talk about how cool that treasure hunt was.

Any ideas peeps?

Wow! What a fantastic way to surprise them. Sadly I have never surprised my son like that, well I have with his birthday party. I usually can't keep a trip a secret and hide my excitement :mad:. I wish I had! Sorry I can't help with any ideas at the moment. If you do the treasure hunt again they will probably know what surprise is coming. You can't take them to Disney on Ice or something disney and put something about the trip stuck into the last page of the program or something. Although Disney on Ice has finished now hasn't it and it's an expensive way to surprise them?

Disney on Ice wasn't coming here to Canberra either which was disappointing. I'm just trying to lock in the details with my flights today and the WDW leg of the accom/etc. and then I want to tell them. I agree that if I try to do something like last time, my daughter esp will totally smell a rat :).

My DD will also want to help me work out which parks which days etc. Even at 12 she is a Disney planning freak, she is always on the WDW website looking at resorts and stuff :rotfl2:.

I wish I had a good idea, really I do.

OMG Shuttergirl........................ what the????

Good for you LOL

So will you still be going at Christmas next year or are you swapping for now?

:cheer2::dance3::cheer2::cheer2::dance3::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

I am soooooo excited for you.

Totally off topic but I wasn't feeling well today so I had a veg out on the couch day. I got out my Disneyland throw rug that I got from DL last year and it made me feel so much better. So from now on no more Panadol's for us - Disneyland works better :thumbsup2

xxx

Good for you LOL

Totally off topic but I wasn't feeling well today so I had a veg out on the couch day. I got out my Disneyland throw rug that I got from DL last year and it made me feel so much better. So from now on no more Panadol's for us - Disneyland works better :thumbsup2

xxx

Hope you feel better soon. Keep thinking Disney thoughts!

Disney on Ice wasn't coming here to Canberra either which was disappointing. I'm just trying to lock in the details with my flights today and the WDW leg of the accom/etc. and then I want to tell them. I agree that if I try to do something like last time, my daughter esp will totally smell a rat :).

My DD will also want to help me work out which parks which days etc. Even at 12 she is a Disney planning freak, she is always on the WDW website looking at resorts and stuff :rotfl2:.

I wish I had a good idea, really I do.

What about sending a telegram? I think Australia Post still do this....and/or you could purchase new suitcases for the kids (if they need them), stuff it with the Disney things you've bought and put a big sign on the top saying "DisneyWorld or Bust"...so that when they open the suitcase, they will get the message?

Good for you LOL

xxx

Hehehe, yes we still plan to go next Christmas also. Aren't I lucky? I think DH might be all Disney'd out after that, but we can only hope he finally catches the bug. Some would say that him spending 5 nights/6 days at Disneyland last year and now 11 nights at WDW this year means he has the bug but he'd never admit it LOL.

Sorry to hear you aren't well. I've had a crappy cold all week too and wish I had a Disneyland rug. I have however been watching those amazing Disney DVD's I got from Amazon a while back. Awesome.

That telegram idea is a good one PrincessinOz. It's so funny isn't it, I'm feeling stressed out about how to tell them to make it special. I'm pretty sure just knowing they are going unexpectedly to WDW is enough :lmao:.

Just a quick thing on flights.
United now have a new fare up for October....nice nice nice....
It is up on best flights....
It is especially good value for some non Disney cities (yes there are non Disney cities!!!) in the US....and can be combined in an open jaw format.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter