• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Artist Point

OKWAnneMarie

DIS Veteran
Our first dinner of the trip was at Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge.

This was the highlight of our trip. :thumbsup2 Marvelous food. We had a knowledgeable and friendly waiter. Everyone at Artist Point seemed to be at ease and gracious. Artist Point has a very pleasant atmosphere. It was just my husband and I and we had a seat by the window with a great view of the Wilderness Lodge.

I started with the Smokey Portobello Soup with Roasted Shiitakes and Chive Oil (I thought it was truffle oil). I LOVED this tasty soup. The flavors blended perfectly. It was absolutely delicious and I would go back to Artist Point just for this full-flavored soup.

My husband started with the Crispy Venison Spring Rolls with hot sweet and sour sauce. He loved the venison rolls. I tasted them also and agreed they were very good.

We also shared the Selection or Artisan Cheeses (with Riesling-poached raisins, fig cake, dried cranberries and walnut toast). Two of the cheeses were very good and one was tasteless.

For my entrée I had their Signature Dish, which was the Cedar Plank Roasted Wild Salmon with Spring Vegetables, Herb Dumplings and Sage Brown Butter Vinaigrette.

Actually the salmon that I had was the fresh Copper River Salmon that is only available from mid-May to mid-June. This salmon comes from the Copper River in Alaska and this salmon is among the richest, tastiest fish in the world.

It is cooked and served from a cedar plank, which gives it a wonderful flavor. It was the best salmon I ever had and the vegetables were delightful also. I found the dumplings to be just ok, nothing special.

My husband had the Hatfield Pork Chop on Tillamook Cheddar Mac & Cheese with Maytag Crust. He fell in love. He said it was the best pork chop he every had. I think I heard him dreaming about it during the night. :love:

I had white wine and my husband had red wine, which we both enjoyed. Sorry, I don’t remember the names.

For dessert I had the Artist Point Cobbler. Yummy, Yummy, Yummy! This SCRUPMTIOUS cake was warm and was filled and surrounded by blueberries, raspberries, blackberries & strawberries with whipped cream and homemade black raspberry ice cream. OUTSTANDING and DELICIOUS!!! This was my FAVORITE dessert of the week. :cool1:

My husband had the Chocolate Truffle Cake with honey-blood orange coulis. He loved it.

We’ve been trying to eat at Artist Point for many, many years now and it just never worked out. Luckily for us, this time we were able to make it and we will definitely be back. Artist Point was a delightful experience and we enjoyed it immensely.

Thanks for sharing...We have an ADR for Artist Point in August and now I really can't wait!!! :goodvibes

I love Artist Point. They are always my first dinner of my trips. That soup was just amazing, one of the best things on my last trip!

I'm glad you had a great meal. I also love the salmon, especially when it's copper river time, and the cobbler. :)

Thanks, great review! We have ADR's for the Artist Pointe in September, and now I can't wait!! :goodvibes

:artist: :banana:

yum you are making me excited for Artist Point this fall. I think it is a true gem I love the venison spring rolls and the hatfield porkchop :love:

Do you think this will be too fancy of a place for dd who is 11 but will be 12 latter in Oct, for our Sept trip? Did you see park clothes or is it more dressey? I know they said colar shirt for men....what did the gals wear?

Thanks!

I think your DD would be fine there were plenty of young kids there when I ate (6 and under set). I wore a pair of khaki capris with a solid color short sleeve v-neck top and a pair of sandals.

WDWannabe said:
Do you think this will be too fancy of a place for dd who is 11 but will be 12 latter in Oct, for our Sept trip? Did you see park clothes or is it more dressey? I know they said colar shirt for men....what did the gals wear?

Thanks!
AP is a bit dressier and more upscale than most of your park restaurants given that it is a signature dining experience. That said, your daughter will fit in just fine if she's up to a leisurely-paced meal. Your server can speed up the pace a bit, but that rather ruins the ambience of AP in my opinion.

We love AP, too. In addition to the salmon, they are well known for the buffalo filet served with a sweet onion jam atop a bed of sweet potato gratin. It is a superb dish when cooked medium rare (medium if you must); otherwise, it becomes a bit leathery given its lean nature. Their wine list is filled with excellent wines from the Northwest, such as syrahs from Washington, pinot noirs from Oregon (your best bet to pair with the salmon), and whites from both states. Service is exemplary. The French press coffee is as good of a java as you will find on property. We make this the last meal of each visit as a way of reflecting on the good times we've had. Our last visit two weeks ago saw us spend well over two hours at the restaurant including a visit to the balcony, outside the window table at which we were seated, to watch the geyser erupt. AP is still a rather hidden gem, and I hope it stays that way. ;)

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. We had been thinking about adding Artist Point to the dining list for our October trip. We have a couple of salmon fans in our family, and I've been wanting to try the berry cobbler. After reading your description of the portobello soup, I really want to try that too. Add to that Sleepydog's comment about the French press coffee (we're always on the lookout for a great cup of coffee at WDW) and AP is now at the top of our list for October.

thank you so much for your review... we're really on the fence between AP and YS... if only there were enough days/nights to try all the wdw restaurants... sigh...

scoutsmom99 said:
I think your DD would be fine there were plenty of young kids there when I ate (6 and under set). I wore a pair of khaki capris with a solid color short sleeve v-neck top and a pair of sandals.

Yes, there were children there. It's a nice relaxed atmosphere. I also wore capris and a v-neck top and a pair of sandles.

AP is still a rather hidden gem, and I hope it stays that way. ;)[/QUOTE]

I agree and I think it will stay hidden. Most people don't want to go out of their way to go to dinner and the Wilderness Lodge is not exactly the easiest resort to get to. I loved it and I will definitely return.

gigi1313 said:
thank you so much for your review... we're really on the fence between AP and YS... if only there were enough days/nights to try all the wdw restaurants... sigh...

I haven't been to the YS in about 10 years, so I don't think it's fair for me to give my opinon about it, but Artist Point does have a much better atmosphere. :sunny:

I had the fixed price dinner so everything was a smaller portion but the entree! I agree that I would go back just for that wonderful smoky portobello mushroom soup & berry cobbler! They also had a wonderful frisee salad when we were there with apples & cheddar cheese.

OKWAnneMarie said:
Actually the salmon that I had was the fresh Copper River Salmon that is only available from mid-May to mid-June. This salmon comes from the Copper River in Alaska and this salmon is among the richest, tastiest fish in the world.
Here in Seattle, we get Copper River the day after its caught -- the arrival of the first planeload is 5 o'clock news worthy. This year it turned out to be very hard to get, so I'm a bit peeved to find out you could get some in Florida!;) Hands off our salmon!

DaddyBrady said:
Here in Seattle, we get Copper River the day after its caught -- the arrival of the first planeload is 5 o'clock news worthy. This year it turned out to be very hard to get, so I'm a bit peeved to find out you could get some in Florida!;) Hands off our salmon!

Mickey Mouse must has some clout. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter