Attention Potential Renters - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

"Puts up with the mess it creates"???? What an arrogant suggestion. :( Why not just address those who CHOOSE to ignore suggested policy and invite problem transactions instead of the site that clearly just provides the opportunity?

Buyer Beware!!

I was actually defending the DIS. Sorry you misunderstood (but not real surprised.)

I realize that the mods and board owners get contacted as if they can "clean up the mess" that some folks get themselves into. That's not thier job, the info CLEARLY states it's not their responsiblity, but..... human nature is what it is.

Carol, if it makes you feel any better, I understood what you meant. In fact, a few years ago I had suggested the same thing.

Am I the only one that wonders why the DIS allows this? Sounds like they get drug into this mess without ANY compensation. Since at least SOME renters are running a business over there, shouldn't there at least be a "listing fee". I am sure that Owner's Locker, TSS and others PAY to advertise, why should I be any different?

I agree with Carol on this.

Look at the rent board and you will notice that many of the people with points to rent are low posters and just sign in to advertise.

I think in order to post or access the rent board you should are least have to be some kind of a sponsor. Heck, 20 bucks per year is cheap.

I'm guessing that if a fee was involved, the DIS would actually be much more likely to have legal action taken against them, as they would be essentially a "partner" in the fraud. With renting become so heavily advertised as "the way to go" it seems like it is just incredibly easy for scam artists to register, respond to a rental request via a PM, get the money, and then disappear. I'm actually surprised this is not happening more often than it is.

I agree that the responsibility lies 100% with the renter. I'd personally be scared to death to rent points from someone that was not a very active member of the Disboards community. Thanks to Webmaster Doc for guidelines and warnings like this one.

i have to say i'm so surprised how many people are on the R/T board with 5 or less posts looking to rent out or rent points.

that is scarry to me - i will be transfering or renting our points in sept because we can't make it down this or next year and I can't bank them until 2009 when we'll be going and to be honest I don't think i would even consider renting them to someone with so few posts - at least if someone has 200+ posts in several sections I can go read what they post and see that they are actual members of this board

i have to say i'm so surprised how many people are on the R/T board with 5 or less posts looking to rent out or rent points.

I don't look at the R/T board very often...I just went over & browsed a little. I was very surprised at all the folks wih VERY low post counts.

To be honest with you....I think many of them are people that have been on the DISboards for awhile but are registering under a second name to keep their anonymity. And no -- I'm not one of them! :teeth:

Excuse me for jumping in here, but I was wondering if usernames are deleted if you don't use them for awhile. My DW was on the boards frequently in the past, but after our last vacation she got busy with life and didn't visit. When we started making plans for our next vacation, she tried to log in and couldn't get her username to work, so she just had me create a new account (and now I'm seeing how easy it is to become addicted;)).

Anyway, the point is that I wonder if other people have tried to return after a break from the boards and, running into the same problem she did, have had to create different usernames or have had to use a different e-mail address.

I don't know if they're deleted. I don't always go on the boards a lot either. Usually only when I'm looking for something specific. I have tried to be on a little bit more just for that reason. I am a DVC member. I have never rented out but have rented from at least 5 or 6 different members and thankfully all went well. But one must always use caution when renting.

It could be that names get deleted (or deactivated), but for the most part I think it's a lot easier to offer somebody a really low amount per point if you think they don't know you vs. someone that has been on the boards for years and may have established some "cyber-relationships". Also, there might be some owners that have been arguing for years that people shouldn't be allowed to rent their points only to find themselves in a bind -- and needing to rent. It's easier to be anonymous than eat crow! Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

Excuse me for jumping in here, but I was wondering if usernames are deleted if you don't use them for awhile. ...

No, usernames are not deleted due to inactivity. I suspect the most common reason for this is that some people have forgotten their username and/or password and have been unable to log back in.

calypso*a*go-go said:
It's easier to be anonymous than eat crow!

:teeth:

It's always amazing to discover those with multiple names using our Rent/Trade Board. Some have tried that to circumvent board policies regarding the number of rentals allowed, but there are quite a few who seem to prefer the anonymity for some reason. I think most here would be very surprised to see some of these multiple personalities.

The point of emphasis with this thread is to hopefully make renters aware of the potential for disappointment and the fact that there are some simple things they can do to offer themselves a higher level of protection from fraud. As already noted, the number of reported problems we've had in the 8 years I've been doing this is minute compared to the overwhelming number of successful transactions (I think the actual number of reported problems is 7). I don't want to dwell on the small number of problems, but simply remind renters that it could happen to them so PLEASE use some level of caution.

Fortunately, these new meds are doing a good job of keeping most of mine under wraps.

Ahhh - another testimonial for "Better Living Thru Chemistry" ... and it looks like you've had the dosage pretty well balanced lately. Nice work! ;)

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I have been a member of the Disboards for a couple of years now, read them almost daily, but post rarely. My post count is very low but I have rented points from someone on this board twice with great success. It is because of those 2 rentals that I was able to experience DVC and see firsthand how wonderful it is. I am grateful to the people who were kind enough to rent me their points and because of the whole experience we finally decided to buy our own DVC points through Disney and should close soon. If I hadn't been given that chance to rent, I don't know that I would have seen how wonderful it is and therefore probably would have never purchased. I guess what I am saying is that, yes, you should be cautious but we all need to start somewhere.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I have been a member of the Disboards for a couple of years now, read them almost daily, but post rarely. My post count is very low but I have rented points from someone on this board twice with great success. It is because of those 2 rentals that I was able to experience DVC and see firsthand how wonderful it is. I am grateful to the people who were kind enough to rent me their points and because of the whole experience we finally decided to buy our own DVC points through Disney and should close soon. If I hadn't been given that chance to rent, I don't know that I would have seen how wonderful it is and therefore probably would have never purchased. I guess what I am saying is that, yes, you should be cautious but we all need to start somewhere.

I don't think renters put themselves at much risk. I have not ever rented, but it seems like if I did and had a renter fail to pay or issue a bad check, I could simply cancel their reservation and get my points back. If I'd passed a banking deadline, I might be inconvenienced, but renting to an unknown person seems far less risky than renting from a person with a low post count/unknown profile.

OTOH, there is nothing, other than honesty, to keep a renter from taking money and even sending the confirmation letter, and then cancelling the reservation - or "selling" multiple fake reservations to a number of people.
As a DVC owner and Disboard member, it seems like it would be SO easy to defraud people - especially with demand for rental points hitting such highs. That's why I would not rent from a person with a low post count - although I would rent TO a person with low posts.

Rentees are the ones at risk, because all the power lies in the renters hands. Rentees can't call CRO for a refund or date switch, they might have no reciept to prove payment (unless they work with a renter who uses a contract), they can't even call MS to confirm that a reservation was actually made. Luckily, if they follow the guidelines Doc posted, all should go well.:thumbsup2

I don't think renters put themselves at much risk. I have not ever rented, but it seems like if I did and had a renter fail to pay or issue a bad check, I could simply cancel their reservation and get my points back. If I'd passed a banking deadline, I might be inconvenienced, but renting to an unknown person seems far less risky than renting from a person with a low post count/unknown profile.

OTOH, there is nothing, other than honesty, to keep a renter from taking money and even sending the confirmation letter, and then cancelling the reservation - or "selling" multiple fake reservations to a number of people.
As a DVC owner and Disboard member, it seems like it would be SO easy to defraud people - especially with demand for rental points hitting such highs. That's why I would not rent from a person with a low post count - although I would rent TO a person with low posts.

Rentees are the ones at risk, because all the power lies in the renters hands. Rentees can't call CRO for a refund or date switch, they might have no reciept to prove payment (unless they work with a renter who uses a contract), they can't even call MS to confirm that a reservation was actually made. Luckily, if they follow the guidelines Doc posted, all should go well.:thumbsup2

I agree, it would be really easy to defraud people. And while this was an obscure transaction, it didn't attract any attention. But its less obscure now - written about in Disney guidebooks - the more people that know, the better the chances are a few of the people are going to be in this for less than honest purposes.

I think the real risk the member takes is that the room gets trashed with their name on it. (without derailing this into a smoking thread, if they fine for smoking that may add risk). Or their are unpaid room charges the member becomes responsible for. The risk that you won't get paid can be managed.

It's unfortunate that anyone would take advantage of a potential renter.

Aside from the viewpoint that it's basically theft, there's the psychological component. I've rented points before and those people were so excited to have the opportunity to stay at a resort that offers the quality and amenities that DVC offers at more affordable rates. For many of them, it's a dream come true. And that's where the shame lies: I couldn't imagine arriving at a resort only to find there isn't a reservation with my name on it. And it seems like it would be easier to perpetrate now that MS is dedicated to only speaking with the owners. It may force renters and rentees to go to an escrow system.

How could anyone so willingly ruin someone else's trip to Disneyworld and still sleep at night?

...How could anyone so willingly ruin someone else's trip to Disneyworld and still sleep at night?
Yet another testimonial for "Better Living Thru Chemistry".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter