Attention Potential Renters - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

How could anyone so willingly ruin someone else's trip to Disneyworld and still sleep at night?

How can someone steal Christmas presents from your car or under your tree? How can someone mug a little old lady? How can someone sell sub-prime mortgages knowing the chance of foreclosure will be high?

There is nothing magical about Disney that keeps us from being a target for preditors.

There is nothing magical about Disney that keeps us from being a target for preditors.

Yeah, I know, but I guess I'm naive enough to want to think there are some (low) levels to which people wouldn't stoop. It just seems more vile to steal Christmas or Disney dreams.

Yeah, I know, but I guess I'm naive enough to want to think there are some (low) levels to which people wouldn't stoop. It just seems more vile to steal Christmas or Disney dreams.
I must be on the same chemical plan as you because I agree. I could never steal from someone and I like to think that DVC owners are a pretty great bunch of people. (Even the smokers. :lmao: )

I've only used the board once to transfer in points so that I'd have enough to do a grand gathering for my husband's family this December. I got the points from a BWV owner who had just about exactly the number of points that I needed! It worked perfectly.

Now that I own too many points for the time being, I plan to rent or transfer some each year to others. Friends and family get first shot at them but if I don't know anyone that wants them, I'll use the board here at DIS. I'm very very glad that it's a service DIS provides to us because I'd have no idea how to find someone to rent or transfer to on my own.

Actually, many appreciative users like myself do pay for the service (indirectly).
Is this the "dis sponsor- lifetime" in your profile?

I tried to find where such things are listed on the dis.boards but I don't see it. Is it a one time donation? Annual donation of different amounts to get different levels of sponsorship? I have no problem contribution to the operation of the board since I have gotten many benefits from being here. Pretty much any question I ever have, SOMEone at DIS knows the answer!

Quote:
Is this the "dis sponsor- lifetime" in your profile?

I tried to find where such things are listed on the dis.boards but I don't see it. Is it a one time donation? Annual donation of different amounts to get different levels of sponsorship? I have no problem contribution to the operation of the board since I have gotten many benefits from being here.

Here's a link:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.htm

I don't want to sound the alarm bells by veering too much off the original topic...but regarding renting:

I was perusing the rent/trade boards and saw a posting by a member who wanted full payment before mailing the confirmation letter. Is that normal?

I've only transferred points once, but I gave the other member his reservation confirmation number before he sent me the money. It seems like a rather large leap of faith to send a member money before you have anything at all, doesn't it?

I don't want to sound the alarm bells by veering too much off the original topic...but regarding renting:

I was perusing the rent/trade boards and saw a posting by a member who wanted full payment before mailing the confirmation letter. Is that normal?

I've only transferred points once, but I gave the other member his reservation confirmation number before he sent me the money. It seems like a rather large leap of faith to send a member money before you have anything at all, doesn't it?

That would depend on the circumstances of the rental. If within 30 days, ot should be strrongly considered by any member due to the restritions on reservation during that time frame - if it's 6 months in advance, renters should perhaps consider other offers since the restrictions are not there.

Just be sure you are comfortable with any conditions presented and compare that with a reservation directly thru Disney.

I don't think renters put themselves at much risk. I have not ever rented, but it seems like if I did and had a renter fail to pay or issue a bad check, I could simply cancel their reservation and get my points back. If I'd passed a banking deadline, I might be inconvenienced, but renting to an unknown person seems far less risky than renting from a person with a low post count/unknown profile.

OTOH, there is nothing, other than honesty, to keep a renter from taking money and even sending the confirmation letter, and then cancelling the reservation - or "selling" multiple fake reservations to a number of people.
As a DVC owner and Disboard member, it seems like it would be SO easy to defraud people - especially with demand for rental points hitting such highs. That's why I would not rent from a person with a low post count - although I would rent TO a person with low posts.

Rentees are the ones at risk, because all the power lies in the renters hands. Rentees can't call CRO for a refund or date switch, they might have no reciept to prove payment (unless they work with a renter who uses a contract), they can't even call MS to confirm that a reservation was actually made. Luckily, if they follow the guidelines Doc posted, all should go well.:thumbsup2
The renter has certain risks as well. It is true they have the option of minimizing the risks but don't totally discount them. There are risks of missing one rental while working on another that may fall through. One can end up late in the use year and/or with banked or borrowed points and lose the points. Then there is the stress if you're dealing with someone dragging their feet for any reason. The best ways to decrease risk are to rent early in your use year and to concentrate on currently use year points (not banked if possible and certainly not borrowed). Have clear expectations, that is far more important than a written contract IMO. When I've rented my terms have generally been 25% up front and the remainder 120 days out all non refundable. If I were late in the use year or having to borrow a majority of the points, I'd alter those terms in my favor. Once or twice I've asked for full payment up front prior to making the reservation due to the risk.

As noted in this thread, there are ways a rentee can decrease their risk as well but ultimately there will be more risk for the rentee is both approach the process appropriately to decrease each's risk. The truth is I'm a little skepticle on my end about a couple of them. One is that a complicated written contract can cause more problems than it cures. Another is that some renters want to use escrow which is a large risk to the renter IMO. I've done it a few times with the rentee paying the fees and generally tacking on about 10% for the risk and hassle.

I would like to say thanks to the disboards for the service. In reading this thread I found out about the sponsorship and will plan to do that as I find these services invaluable. I just rented points for the first time on the rent/trade board and have had succesful transactions so far. I agree with a previous poster- you have to start somewhere. Though I spend time almost everyday lurking these boards and searching for answers to questions I have
( usually I can find answers without having to ask ), I hardly ever post. I have an exrememly low post count. I do think it is good to be cautious- but would also say that a low post count should not stop someone from renting. I plan to keep my first renters as references so that should help.

Can't say I'll be renting often anyway as I have many plans for our points- just couldn't stretch a few points to our next big trip home.
We just had our first baby. Our next trip home will be our son's first trip and we're treatin' the extended family to boot. It will take a few years of points for this one trip but it should be special!!

Boy, I'm a "wordy" poster...maybe it's a good thing I don't post that often!!

Doc, why can I not make find all posts work? Also, due to your compassion and a whole lot of sense, I thank you for providing the thread of rental agreement which I am planning on using not only to give the renter a sense of security, but it also provided me a level of comfort as well. This will be my first time and I am extremely nervous. Thank you for all the input on both sides of the issue.

Doc; I have wondered why the Dis sponsorship options are not easy to find anymore. I originally sponsored several years ago because of the invaluable amount of info I have gained through this site. It has saved me a lot of money and the R/T gave me a place to easily rent those points I could not use. I wonder if a lot of Disers would sponsor if the option was more prominent.

Admittedly, the search function is not optimal by any means. We have been trying to improve that - even adding another server just for search, but it has still not been at the level we'd like. It is still something we're striving towards.

Pete has always wanted first-and-foremost to offer the DIS as a free service and never really wanted sponsorship. As the costs of maintaining the service escalated due to the expanding user base, he did decide to invite sponsorship as a means to defray some of that increasing expense, but has intentionally downplayed any big push to attract new sponsors. I will pass your thoughts along to Pete as I know he really appreciates those who have contributed over the years.

I would like to see a once-a-year post on each board inviting sponsors and reminding about renewals. I don't think that would be obtrusive and would help those of us with memory issues.:crazy2:

I would like to see a once-a-year post on each board inviting sponsors and reminding about renewals. I don't think that would be obtrusive and would help those of us with memory issues.:crazy2:

I hear ya Jean! I can never remember when my sponsorship is up for renewal...it may be right now but I don't even know how to check. :confused3

Admittedly, the search function is not optimal by any means. We have been trying to improve that - even adding another server just for search, but it has still not been at the level we'd like. It is still something we're striving towards.

Pete has always wanted first-and-foremost to offer the DIS as a free service and never really wanted sponsorship. As the costs of maintaining the service escalated due to the expanding user base, he did decide to invite sponsorship as a means to defray some of that increasing expense, but has intentionally downplayed any big push to attract new sponsors. I will pass your thoughts along to Pete as I know he really appreciates those who have contributed over the years.

Could you mention to Pete that I paid my money for the sponsorship and sent him an email with a question about the life sponsorship a few days ago but I've heard nothing from him? Or let me know how to reach him, I guess, and I'll try again.

I have rented several times on the R/T board in the last several years- almost exclusively to other DVC members (transfer of points) because it is easier for me - I'd rather get less $$ and have the transaction over immediately than work with a renter whose dates and locations keep changing. Of the 5 or 6 times I've advertised the extra points, the same person 'bought' them at least 3 times.
Having said that, I would hate to find myself in the unlikely position of needing to rent again (probably not - addicted to the 2 bed and 10+ days :) ) and having my integrity judged solely on the amount of posts I've had. I read the boards when I have an upcoming trip planned and I post occasionally but I've been a member here since 2000 and a DVC owner for 12 years.

I have rented several times on the R/T board in the last several years- almost exclusively to other DVC members (transfer of points) because it is easier for me - I'd rather get less $$ and have the transaction over immediately than work with a renter whose dates and locations keep changing. Of the 5 or 6 times I've advertised the extra points, the same person 'bought' them at least 3 times.
Having said that, I would hate to find myself in the unlikely position of needing to rent again (probably not - addicted to the 2 bed and 10+ days :) ) and having my integrity judged solely on the amount of posts I've had. I read the boards when I have an upcoming trip planned and I post occasionally but I've been a member here since 2000 and a DVC owner for 12 years.

I don't know that anyone has suggested that the number of posts is any indication of integrity. Reviewing past posts is mentioned as one tool to get a feeling about anyone renting to others - but not the only tool. I can think of a number of DIS users with very high post counts but most with very little content and others with minimal posts - but who have always been very helpful with their information to others. I also know of some sites who have a minimum number of posts as a requirement to even use their site for a rental - the DIS has no such requirement.

The point of this thread is to urge those wanting to rent a reservation to use every method possible to get a comfortable feeling about anyone they would consider sending money. All of the suggestions above are just that - suggestions.

Any member who rents feels slighted by these suggestions can certainly find ways to address each issue before using the Rent/Trade Board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter