• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Attention Potential Renters - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

Of everything I read on here and from the contracts that I used parts of on here as well, on each one of them, it states that the renter can call the resort and double check the confirmation after they receive a copy of the confirmation from the DVC Owner. During my ordeal, my renter was not able to do that. OKW told her and myself that the confirmation was would not be in the system until the week of the reservation. Can someone shed some light on this for me.

Thank you all for your help. I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!

Those comments are correct. Once the resort gets the reservations, you will be able to confirm by calling the resort directly. The problem here is that the resorts do NOT get the reservations until a few days prior. You can usually call the resort about 5 days before arrival to check on your reservations. Until that time, you are dependent on the printed confirmation sent by DVC to the member (and hopefully forwarded to you).

Only members have access to Member Services to get any information about their reservations. Except for the confirmation letter, renters have no ability to confirm anything and are at the mercy of the member until check-in at the resort.

Enjoy your stay! :)

The tech folks are working on this issue. Try this:
Click on "User CP" at the top of this page. Click on "Edit Options" then look for "Miscellaneous." Choose "California Gold" for the forum skin. The "Find Posts for---" only works with California Gold skin chosen (at least for now). Good luck!

Where do I find "Find Posts for---"? I followed up to changing forum skin to California Gold....then I'm lost.:confused3

Where do I find "Find Posts for---"? I followed up to changing forum skin to California Gold....then I'm lost.

Click on the person's name and a drop down menu will include "Find all post by ---"

The tech folks are working on this issue. Try this:
Click on "User CP" at the top of this page. Click on "Edit Options" then look for "Miscellaneous." Choose "California Gold" for the forum skin. The "Find Posts for---" only works with California Gold skin chosen (at least for now). Good luck!

How come in the Disney Vacation Club Sub-Forum or in a specified forum of DVC, when I try to change it to Calif. Gold it doesn't change? It stays DVC3.

How come in the Disney Vacation Club Sub-Forum or in a specified forum of DVC, when I try to change it to Calif. Gold it doesn't change? It stays DVC3.

The DVC Boards have static formats that will override personal settings. Personal settings do work on some of the other boards, just not on these.

Don't understand the technical reason why, but read this from the CP user option panel:
There is more than one skin in which you can view the forums. If you would like to switch to a different skin, select it from this list.

Please note that some forums here may override your skin choice temporarily.

The DVC Boards have static formats that will override personal settings. Personal settings do work on some of the other boards, just not on these.

Didn't realize that you are fluent in Greek, Doc! :lmao:

So is what is being said is that even by switching to 'cali-gold' you can't search out posts by posters on these dvc sub boards??????

No, search for posts will work on these boards if you choose Cal. gold skin in options, even though your skin on the DVC boards will not show as Ca. gold.

Those comments are correct. Once the resort gets the reservations, you will be able to confirm by calling the resort directly. The problem here is that the resorts do NOT get the reservations until a few days prior. You can usually call the resort about 5 days before arrival to check on your reservations. Until that time, you are dependent on the printed confirmation sent by DVC to the member (and hopefully forwarded to you).

Only members have access to Member Services to get any information about their reservations. Except for the confirmation letter, renters have no ability to confirm anything and are at the mercy of the member until check-in at the resort.

Thanks for the help. I am a new DVC Member and didn't realize the changes. Any suggestions on giving the renter some comfort besides the confirmation letter. For my first time, I consider myself lucky with a patient renter. I just don't know what to do the next time, luckily that might not be for a couple of years. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your comments. Also, anyone with a newer version of a contract would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks for the help. I am a new DVC Member and didn't realize the changes. Any suggestions on giving the renter some comfort besides the confirmation letter. For my first time, I consider myself lucky with a patient renter. I just don't know what to do the next time, luckily that might not be for a couple of years. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your comments. Also, anyone with a newer version of a contract would also be greatly appreciated.
One thing many DVC owners do is make the ressie in a conference call with the person renting the points. That way, the renter can make their requests, DME arrangements, etc. sort of directly and be assured they are properly set up, and if there are availability issues, the renter is right there to okay switching to another resort, changing the dates slightly, etc.

Of course, the ressie still remains in the complete control of the DVC owner, but a conference call can provide some comfort. At least the renter knows the person they are renting from actually has a DVC account.

How do you do a conference call?

The easiest way is to use the "3 way calling" feature from your local telephone company or wireless provider (if you have it. Most do these days).

I wouldn't recommend a conference call though - rather not have a stranger hear my member number and verification info. I don't see how a conference call helps anyway - the member can call back after the conference call and cancel and the renter would have no way of knowing.

IMHO, if trading names, addresses and phone numbers, providing a written understanding of terms & talking in real time on the phone isn't good enough, the transaction is going to be at best, a pain for both parties. In that case, I'd suggest the renter find someone else to rent from or go direct through Disney. Really, some people shouldn't rent - no matter which side of the transaction they are on.

I agree w/CarolMN about a conference call not adding any guarantees to the rental scenario...but there are advantages to doing one...decisions on whether to wait list, change resorts or accommodation size, etc can be made "on the spot" if both the renter and the rentee are on the call...and it does provide some comfort, if not a guarantee, to the non-member renter...

As for the identifying information the member has to provide at the beginning of the call: I've been told (never tried it, tho) that MS will let the member call, give the ID info (member number, etc) and then let the member conference in the renter...

So, three-way calls can be a good thing for both parties...even if they don't add much in the way of guarantees to the transaction...

As for the identifying information the member has to provide at the beginning of the call: I've been told (never tried it, tho) that MS will let the member call, give the ID info (member number, etc) and then let the member conference in the renter...

So, three-way calls can be a good thing for both parties...even if they don't add much in the way of guarantees to the transaction...

I've done 3 way calling & it worked out great for the both of us

- rather not have a stranger hear my member number and verification info.
Oh, of course not! You wouldn't have the renter on the line while you were giving that info. You'd get the renter on the line, put them on hold, call MS and provide the verification info, and THEN bring the renter into the conversation with MS.

As stated above, one big benefit the renter would get is they would know they are dealing with someone who actually has an account. The PP we had trouble with previously did NOT have an account, and all indications I have are that she no longer has any ability to access her aunt's account. She would have a difficult time defrauding someone savvy enough to ask for a conference call. [ETA: But as you see from Doc's OP, she might still be able to rip off the careless or uneducated.]

Also, as Dani noted above, "...but there are advantages to doing one...decisions on whether to wait list, change resorts or accommodation size, etc can be made "on the spot" if both the renter and the rentee are on the call..." Add to that decisions about DME, DDP, etc, etc. Each of those decisions would require calls back and forth between the renter and owner, owner and MS, and then renter and owner again without a conference call. Using a conference call is a huge convenience to everybody involved, including MS.

No, a conference call does NOT guarantee anything. The owner still controls the ressie until checkin, and if the owner is a crook the renter could still get taken. But it can be helpful in building trust, I think, in addition to all of the practical benefits in the above paragraph.

As I am hoping to rent again in the very near future..

I followed the recommendations on how to search for posts. I have gotten to CA Gold but when pulling down the menu (under the username posted on the thread)

I am prompted to find all posts - which i have done

I am still getting none - the user name says there should be three. I even searched myself and did not get any...

can someone make a suggestion?

thank you

As I am hoping to rent again in the very near future..

I followed the recommendations on how to search for posts. I have gotten to CA Gold but when pulling down the menu (under the username posted on the thread)

I am prompted to find all posts - which i have done

I am still getting none - the user name says there should be three. I even searched myself and did not get any...

can someone make a suggestion?

thank you

If the person only had 3 posts, I'd likely look elsewhere.

Thank you for your response - in most cases I would think this to be a red flag - and I do except

the last time I rented the family I rented from had very few postings and they were wonderful. I had an uncomfortable situation arise during the process and her handling of it was exceptional. She did everything she could to make me feel comfortable about the transaction.

Her answer to not having a lot of posts - is she is out there reading a ton but not feeling the need to input. Similar view as mine as I don't feel I have a lot to offer.

Your words are wise but its hard to discount folks because they may have the same feelings about posting. Its risky proposition. I surely felt better when I, who is not a DCV member, could check my own reservation status once it was made. Now that they have changed the rules, it makes the process a little more unsettling.

I am going for the odds of the good experiences trumps the bad ones.

Again your input is a good reminder! Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter