• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Attention Potential Renters - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

I agree w/CarolMN about a conference call not adding any guarantees to the rental scenario...but there are advantages to doing one...decisions on whether to wait list, change resorts or accommodation size, etc can be made "on the spot" if both the renter and the rentee are on the call...and it does provide some comfort, if not a guarantee, to the non-member renter...

As for the identifying information the member has to provide at the beginning of the call: I've been told (never tried it, tho) that MS will let the member call, give the ID info (member number, etc) and then let the member conference in the renter...

So, three-way calls can be a good thing for both parties...even if they don't add much in the way of guarantees to the transaction...

At the same time, MS may provide options to the renter that you as an owner may not be comfortable with. I wouldn't want to do a waitlist from SSR to BCV/VWL which would take more points from my account, particularly with automatic waitlist, with a renter. I'd rather leave the whole waitlist idea out of the option list. A three way call may have my renter agreeing to the waitlist with the MS rep, putting me in the middle and having to say "no." Or MS may say "I don't have a studio but I have a one bedroom - and I might say "I don't have enough points for the one bedroom" - meaning I don't want to rent that many points and have MS say "oh, of course you do, you just borrow some from next year." MS may forget on the call which voice is the member and which is the renter, and agree to do things the renter asks for that leaves you in a spot - and if you aren't a fast thinker, you could hang up the phone without really realizing what you did.

So while a three way call can answer all those questions and take care of a bunch of stuff in one phone call, it could also create a situation where your renter feels like you are not letting him/her take advantage of all the options. Saying to your renter up front "I won't waitlist for you" and having MS make the offer and then having to say "no, we won't waitlist" - the second is more awkward.

ETA: I don't mean to say this can't work, its just one of those situations where you need to know yourself. If you are the type of person not to stand your ground, a MS/renter conference call may have you doing things you don't want to do. If you are the type to want to be nice (and then kick yourself for it), you may "give" more than you want. And if you don't understand the options MS may present to you and your renter, and what they mean for your contract, well enough to make snap decisions, you may make the wrong decision.

The easiest way is to use the "3 way calling" feature from your local telephone company or wireless provider (if you have it. Most do these days).

I wouldn't recommend a conference call though - rather not have a stranger hear my member number and verification info. I don't see how a conference call helps anyway - the member can call back after the conference call and cancel and the renter would have no way of knowing.

IMHO, if trading names, addresses and phone numbers, providing a written understanding of terms & talking in real time on the phone isn't good enough, the transaction is going to be at best, a pain for both parties. In that case, I'd suggest the renter find someone else to rent from or go direct through Disney. Really, some people shouldn't rent - no matter which side of the transaction they are on.

Very well said. So much so, I'm going to claim these thopught/points as my own (just kidding).

search
As I am hoping to rent again in the very near future..

I followed the recommendations on how to search for posts. I have gotten to CA Gold but when pulling down the menu (under the username posted on the thread)

I am prompted to find all posts - which i have done

I am still getting none - the user name says there should be three. I even searched myself and did not get any...

can someone make a suggestion?

thank you

I am not techie, but did you remember to click "save changes" after choosing California Gold? And then maybe quit your browser and try again? Neither of these is likely the issue, but maybe someone on the tech board can help:
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=43

I am attempting to rent points from a DVC member for the first time. I have read (and re-read) all of the "required reading" posts and have reached a comfort level with the risks involved. "Pay Pal is always the safest way to pay" and "use a credit card for payment to provide some possible level of security" are comments that I don't quite understand. How do these forms of payment provide any "security"?

I am attempting to rent points from a DVC member for the first time. I have read (and re-read) all of the "required reading" posts and have reached a comfort level with the risks involved. "Pay Pal is always the safest way to pay" and "use a credit card for payment to provide some possible level of security" are comments that I don't quite understand. How do these forms of payment provide any "security"?

I don't agree that "Pay Pal is always the safest way to pay" - and I hope that is not in the "Required Reading" threads.

As for "use a credit card for payment to provide some possible level of security" - while only a few members may have the ability to directly accept a credit card (thus the suggestion to use PayPal), if a dispute later arises, you may be able to get some assistance from your credit card company - depending on the timing and circumstances of the transaction. In some cases, you could refuse to pay the charge and have the card company investigate your claim. Obviously there are limitations involved.

If you send a check, money order or other payment form, there is probably little recourse once the check has been cashed.

For these reasons, I'd always urge renters to establish some form of relationship with the member - by reading past posts, speaking on the phone, reviewing references, etc. - to have a comfortable sense of the person prior to sending any money ... and even then, cautiously review any payment expectations to be sure you are comfortable with the form of payment.

For the most part, all of this just involves the use of common sense.

I've just read this whole thread and another one referenced from this one that provides fantastic information to us first-timers. This is my first post to this forum, althougth I started out recently on the Tagrel forum (my username there is lgiesbre - after reading the clever usernames of others, I wanted to come up with something else here - not claiming its clever though!)

I've compiled what I thought was the most useful info from these forums into a file that I will print and read again (and again) before I post any "reservation wanted" messages or respond to any "points for rent" ones. Thank you to everyone that contributed to this and other threads.

I hope a low post count doesn't deter owners from considering renting to me. As a previous post says, we must all start somewhere. I started looking at these boards because we are planning a trip in May 08 with my wife, twin boys that will turn 6 in April, and my sister-in-law and her husband. My sis-in-law gave us the "unofficial guide to WDW" just a few weeks ago where we read about the idea of renting DVC points. I started lurking here, tagrel, mousesavers, allears, etc. to learn more.

The only concern I have at this point is not being able to call Disney directly to confirm the reservation until the last minute, but I don't think this will prevent us from giving it a try. Thanks again to all!

Hi All - I admit I didn't read the entire thread. Has this person resolved the issue? Do they have a valid reservation yet? I've rented in the past and had some very good, and some not very good experiences. Needless to say - I'm now a member as of last week!! I think being able to "test" out the accomdiations helped us buy.

Welcome Home, Stacey!!! May your DVC membership bring you & your family as much joy as it has brought to DS and me (including our friendship w/you!)... Dani

Hi All - I admit I didn't read the entire thread. Has this person resolved the issue? Do they have a valid reservation yet? I've rented in the past and had some very good, and some not very good experiences. Needless to say - I'm now a member as of last week!! I think being able to "test" out the accomdiations helped us buy.
WELCOME HOME, STACEY! :cool1: :cool1:

For these reasons, I'd always urge renters to establish some form of relationship with the member - by reading past posts, speaking on the phone, reviewing references, etc. - to have a comfortable sense of the person prior to sending any money ... and even then, cautiously review any payment expectations to be sure you are comfortable with the form of payment.

For the most part, all of this just involves the use of common sense.
So often, people make the mistake of seeking out the "...safest way to pay," as if that is going to be some sort of "silver bullet" or "happy pill" that protects them against all evil. I hate to be the one to break it to you folks, but there is NO Fairy Godmother.

If you are looking for perfect security in a rental transaction, call Disney CRO.

If you are going to rent, go back to Doc's post above and read the bold print 3-4 times out loud.

Then, if you want the PERFECT method of payment... write the person a personal check.

A personal check is the perfect comfort threshhold test -- if you don't feel comfortable enough to write a personal check, DON'T RENT FROM THAT PERSON!

No method of payment will protect you from an unscrupulous person. If someone is determined to cheat you, they will cheat you. Your best protection against fraud in a DVC rental (or anything else) is your own gut. If it doesn't FEEL right...walk away. It's that simple.

Doc, while its your board and your decision, I too, wonder why you continue to do this without compensation. It takes share away from the core business of Dreams Unlimited (though it arguably helps create a market for The Timeshare Store). It creates potential liability if you are named as a party in a lawsuit for fraud. It sets The DIS up as a potential target for Disney legal should they take further steps to discourage renting - this is the biggest source of rental points out there.......Obviously, you currently don't feel that it creates "a mess" - but I think that the potential is there.

(I am not an attorney, this is not legal advice).

That last line was obviously the best statement that was made.

Why are people so against having something for free? Personally I think that not paying for something is awesome. Did you ever stop to think that they are more than likely getting something out of the R/T boards. Click through ads generate quite a bit of income for a site/business.

Disney won't sue them, it's in the DVC contract that the owner can rent or trade points. Even if Disney wanted to they can't change that until everyone's contracts expire, but why would they want to because no matter who uses those points they are still getting paid.

Even if people had a dedicated website to renting their points it doesn't meant that they aren't running a scam. That is the point that DIS is trying to make with all this.

All DVC are deeded and the county office will be able to tell you if there truly is a deed in that persons name. That is probably your best line of homework.

Have a great day!

I have to say that I would be nervous about renting points after reading some of the threads.

And to be honest, if i was able to get annual pass rate on a dvc resort, instead of renting points - i would do that, even though it would probably mean paying a little more.

But, I should imagine that most renters are genuine on here.

I know I read a while ago that someone wanted to name and shame a bad renter and this was not allowed on here. This is understandable. I have noticed some people rent out many points. If they are competing with one another there would be a risk that someone could lie to get another into trouble.

Also, it is very difficult to ban someone - even if they have ripped people off. For a start many people don't have static IP addresses and also a lot of people have access to more than one computer.

It would be a shame for the rent/trade board to disappear just because of a few bad apples - so it is best to use your due diligence.

I personally would want to rent from someone who had been around these boards for a while, and I'd also check into past posts and want some kind of contract etc - and a way to check the true id of the person I was renting the points from.

I was going to rent a lot of points from someone on these boards a good while ago, but I asked for a proper contract. They kept saying they'd faxed it, but it didn't come.

Sending a fax really isn't that difficult, so in the end, I got suspicious, backed out and just bought an additional contract instead!

It is sad that a few have been taken advantage of. I have rented points in the not to recent past, I try and put most peoples minds at ease my having an open dialog with people. Nothing is perfect. But if you are renting points from someone, what Doc says is so true.

Personally if one rents points using this board the should become a 'sponsor' for the board.

Joe in CT

I haven't read all the posts on this thread...so this may have already been said. I rented points last year and was a little nervous about it. It takes faith, trust and listening to you gut. If you just don't feel right about it...don't do it. I had lots of communication with the renter and a 3-way call...that helped. Their willingness to go the extra mile to accommodate me was an added plus. I would also look at how long someone has been a member of this board....not just the number of posts. I have been an ebay member for several years...perfect score...but only about 75 transactions. Someone having lots of posts and only a member for a short time wouldn't give me any added feelings of security.

I work for a bank and this is the same way customers are frauded on the Dis Boards. They all have to do with one thing and its Western Union. You see this now on dating boards, craiglist for jobs etc.. I have never in my life seen so much fraud and its all from the internet. They always ask for Western Union. We can't get the money back from Western once its gone. That's why they love it. Checks would be good if its far out from the reservation. If not I would suggest Paypal.

I've never rented DVc, but I did rent a Vistana condo from an owner once. I saved a TON of money. I realized it was a risk, but here's how I looked at it from a financial point of view:

If I rent for 50% off

And 1 out of 5 rentals fails (I'm sure it's less than this, but just for discussion)

I still come out ahead of paying rack rates.

I plan on setting aside 25% extra for each of 4 successful rentals to pay for the fifth, which fails. In a sense, I am self-insuring.

:) :) :) :) :) :)
:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Secondly, if Disboards charges for rental listings wouldn't they be accepting a bigger liability for what is contained in posts?

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

We we first started looking at DVC, we decided to give it a "trial run" by renting points. If it had not been for this board, and the three sucessfully rentals that were made possible by the good people, moderators and participate in these discussion boards, we would not now be the proud owers of two DVC contracts.

I would also like to say that the people we rented the points from were some of the kindest, most likeable people we ever met. Their kindness was a big factor in helping us make our decision.

I, too, am grateful for the opportunity to use the R/T board. I have rented out points when we first bought, as we had other plans for vacation that year. I have also rented points, because we needed some extra this year. I don't really plan on renting out too many points through the course of our ownership, but I'm glad the option is there.
I have been very lucky and have felt very comfortable with the people I have dealt with on the boards. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask to speak directly with the person. If they have nothing to hide, they should be more than happy to do that!
Thanks Dis!

Just a quick note…thanks for the heads up Doc. I appreciate the service you all provide. Timely for us as we’re looking to rent for a fall 2008 trip. Rented once a few years ago but unfortunately the DVC member no longer owns.

The tech folks are working on this issue. Try this:
Click on "User CP" at the top of this page. Click on "Edit Options" then look for "Miscellaneous." Choose "California Gold" for the forum skin. The "Find Posts for---" only works with California Gold skin chosen (at least for now). Good luck!

First of all, I am pretty "computer ignorant". But I have tried your suggestions and others, to no avail. I am at the mercy of my husband and daughter as to when I can even get on the computer. I am lucky to get an hour or two a week, if I get up early enough and beat them to it before they wake up, much less the five hours a day it seems to take to just try to learn what I need to know. So I guess I "need to be taken by the hand" to learn how to do things (computer-wise). Why don't things work for me that seem to work for others? I hate asking the questions that others have asked before and the answers are already posted here, but as I said, I don't have the availability to the computer to spend hours reading it all. I have no success in the search use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter