August 20, 2005 - L.A. to Port Canaveral - Eastbound Repo Cruise - The SHIP OF FOOLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
We thought about joining DVC a while back but at the age that we are we didn't think we would live long enough to recoup our investment!

We had thoughts along the same line. At the time we looked into it (about 7 - 8 years ago) it was a 40 year deal (I think it's 50 years now). I didn't mind the initial cost, but paying the annual maintenance fee, for 40 years, would have made the total investment over $60,000. I can take a lot of really great vacations for that kind of money!!

Ed

I think DVC is really a very personal decision, and I am envious of those of you that have it.
I would never diss or put down anyone that purchased as I would love to have 200 or 300 points myself but just found the fact it was so tied into Disney and the restrictions plus maintenance fees I couldn't justify it to myself.
When I read of folks staying at the Beach, BWV, WL etc I think sheesh probably better than the Pop Resort we stayed last time (Then again the back of my van was as good. I would never stay there again but that is another topic :) ) but I can't have everything. So the Caribbean Beach Resort or Port Orleans or an offsite condo or nice hotel are where we often go.
I think its all a trade off over the term of the DVC life. You can pass it on to your kids which is good. Much better than a cottage on a lake you have to pay taxes on, spend two weeks a year fixing up and sharing with siblings :)
I have a timeshare I paid peanuts for that we use for skiing at the New Years/Christmas break. A second week that was included when we bought it is used for trading. We've used it in Florida, the poconos, England and it has worked out well for us. The place had been close to bankruptcy and we got in as it was on its way up again and now it is a going concern and we love it.

Anyway if there is anyone with a few DVC points left for next August I'll take a night at the GC to see how the other half live ;)
Cheers,
Grumbo

I admit that Phil and I looked into it at the inception. But at the time we couldn't afford it and now the DDs aren't that interested. So not having to worry about points is good. We do get to go with WDSTK occasionally. (Thanks again Jen and ALLen!!) we enjoy the time with them.
I also signed on for the Three Circles.net forum. Thanks Jason.
Back to the large hole under the counter in my kitchen. Estelle
:earsgirl::earsboy:

Well said, Grumbo...Bravo!!!! :wizard:

I LOVE my DVC and i have no regrets buying into it. (although i do have my beef about some things in DVC, but we don't live in a perfect world!!) and yes, i thought the same thing, i can pass it on to my kids and grandkids since i will be in the 80's by the time my deed expires and i will probablry be dead or in the nursing home! LOL!!!

Originally posted by Grumbo

When I read of folks staying at the Beach, BWV, WL etc I think sheesh probably better than the Pop Resort we stayed last time (Then again the back of my van was as good. I would never stay there again but that is another topic
You'll have to tell us more. Enquiring minds want to know!

Paul

This my personal opinion and others may and will probably disagree but anyways :)

We stayed there after our last cruise this March.
Checkin was like a 50 minute wait. There were maybe 2 or 3 clerks which wasn't bad considering there were maybe 12 people in line. However they didn't know what they were doing and the only entertainment was listening to the folks in front of us ranting and raving at the poor CM's.
I had made the ressies for the two rooms in my name with the intent of the other people with us putting it in their name. That couldn't be done according to the CM, IF we wanted to have key cards to charge to the room. I gave up after 5 minutes of trying to reason this out and said we won't charge to the rooms, just put it under their name and let me out of here!!! ;)
The rooms weren't ready (to be expected) and we walked around and looked at the resort. The food court is HUGE. The prices imho were atrocious. We had breakfast there a couple of times and it just stuck in my craw to pay that amount. The setup is really a mess and it is a LOOOOOOOONG walk to get there.
There were no carts to carry luggage to your room. We had two rooms with 6 people and as 5 were ladies or young ladies (Yeah my sexist comment of the day) luggage was plentiful ;)
They are not provided by the hotel. The room was one heckuva haul from the drop off and we got everything into the rooms after numerous trips.
The rooms were "OK" and spartan but clean. There is no atmosphere there imho. For the price I should have stayed off site and could have got much more and been about as close.
The parking if you got in later was terrible. Long walk from the corner of the parking lot. I just dropped off the other folks and then parked it.

Checkout was painfully slow again with insufficient staff for what was really a very small line. Checkins and checkouts were happening in the same line. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I found the place didn't seem like onsite Disney. I've stayed at the Caribbean, Poly and Beach Club before and all have a real Disney atmosphere. This didn't. I was sorely disappointed in the amenities, it was terribly crowded and realized the old adage you get what you pay for applied. (In fact I don't even think I got that much at the Pop Century Resort ;)

I'm sure others have loved the place, and hey to each their own. At 50 + years old now I want a bit of comfort and atmosphere with the resort and didn't think I got it at the Pop Century :)

Sorry if I have offended any of you that are Pop or All Star fans.

Cheers,
Grumbo

I have to agree with you Melinda...our purchase at DVC was the best investment that we have ever made (although I only own 350 points per year!!) but it has allowed us to do the Disney cruise every year and we have exchanged to do the Holland America cruise (10 day cruise) to Alaska; 2 weeks at a 5 star resort on two islands of Hawaii, etc. No regrets at all. We actually own another timeshare in Williamsburg, VA and we use that to trade and in June, we were at a supposedly 5 star resort (thru II) that was certainly not on a scale of what I am used to at Old Key West. We bought in during the 2nd year so we have 48 years to use it plus we got free tickets to the parks for the first 10 years so I didn't think it was a bad deal.

Originally posted by Grumbo
This my personal opinion and others may and will probably disagree but anyways :)

I'm sure others have loved the place, and hey to each their own. At 50 + years old now I want a bit of comfort and atmosphere with the resort and didn't think I got it at the Pop Century :)

Cheers,
Grumbo

And it is for this same reason that I bought into DVC!

The only difference, I'm 40+ years.

Have A Disney Day!

Scratch
pirate:

Hey Grumbo - I thought I was the only one with a negative impression of Pop Century in March!!!

We didn’t have the same problems checking in after our cruise, but the rooms are a LONG haul from the food court! (and the parking lots) Since we were travelling with our Dear Aunt and Uncle (both 81) we asked to be conveniently located to the food court. We were put in the 90’s building, which wasn’t close to anything but the “computer pool”. (what theming was that – it was a rectangular pool! I suppose it was shaped like a CPU??!?) Whoopee …
Uncle has Parkinsons’ Disease and walks reeaaaalllly slow – it was a 20 minute exercise each way to get him a coffee in the morning!

Similar complaints about the cost and quality of the food court food. Nothing was particularly good, but it was all really expensive!

Our experience at All Stars was better, though. We’ve stayed at both Music and Movies. Our preference was actually for … the JAZZ buildings at Music.

(Little plug for our own “Jazzman” there!)

BTW – We have actually stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge as well, so we’ve been above the “Value” level of accommodation. We just don’t spend enough time in our rooms to spend the extra 35% Canadian $ premium when we’re commando touring!

Also why we’re looking at “Good Neighbour” hotels at Disneyland!

Arlene

We bought into DVC in '95. We absolutely love it! We go several times a year and have cruised using points. We have also been to other places. I never even considered using points for this cruise.

We stayed a couple of days at Coronado Springs in May before switching to OKW and it just wasn't the same.

I have never stayed at the All Star Mississaugamom so shouldn't have lumped the two resorts togther.

I'm going to try and take a boo at a few of the hotels at DL next week while we're there. (Outside as can't afford inside unfortunately).

Actually got a soccer tournament in Mississauga the weekend we get back from our vacation. DD's team is one of many playing there. :)

Cheers,
Grumbo

I've stayed at all levels at WDW and I don't mind the ASR's. I haven't stayed at Pop Century yet but will be in December. If AP rates come out for December I guess I'll change to a moderate. Thanks for the info Grumbo!

Paul

We stayed at the ASMusic and had a horrible time. We would rather stay off-site instead of staying there again. We haven't bought into DVC but are thinking about it. We'll probably check it out on our October cruise and also check out the Marriott Grande Vista since we're staying there for 5 days. They sent us a card for a great rate for 5 days and 4 nights plus one day park tickets. We just have to sit through their 90 minute presentation. I've heard that Marriott isn't too bad about pressuring you to join so we'll see what happens.

I've been lucky enough to have stayed at all levels at Disney as well. Everything from the All Stars to the Grand Floridian.

And, to be honest, I think my favorite resort is Port Orleans (the original)! I just love the whole New Orleans, Mardi Gras atmosphere and all. Love ordering pizza from Sassagoula Pizza Co.; walking along the Sassagoula "river", and all that other jazz. :)

Of course I enjoyed myself at the All Stars as well. Perhaps I'm just an easy-to-please kinda person! :crazy:

ThreeCircles:

I'm with you -- Port Orleans and Dixie Landings were always our favorite resorts. They feel like the "old south". Our second favorite has been Beach Club because I like being able to walk into the back door of Epcot or take the boat to MGM and avoid the buses.

Perhaps I'm just an easy-to-please kinda person

What you trying to say Jason?!?!?! I'm not!!?!! Trying to start up a DB here!?!?! :hyper:

As I said before everyone likes different things. I just found the Pop had no Disney atmosphere. Felt like a crew had come in with some some left over Walmarts, made them into rooms, painted them gaudy coloUrs and stuck some words (most of which I still use and couldn't understand why they were meant to be old fashioned ;) ) and called it a Disney Hotel :)

Thank goodness we all like DCL. :)

Cheers,
Grumbo

Yes, I'm very happy with my DVC. It's allowed us to make many, many more trips than we ever would have considered. I will definitely use my points for GC next year. I've only got 400 points but wish I had more. I love the Wilderness Lodge and that is my home resort. I'll be 84 when it expires and the way I looked at it, I bought vacation for my daughter until she's 45, then she can pay for her own! AND MINE! ::yes:: :hyper:

I received an email reply and talked to the HoJo Sales and Marketing Director Willie Simpson, and he is offering the following deal to any of us who would like to stay there while in Anaheim.

All rooms can be booked at a 15% discount using a special website access. In August, the general rates will be about $10 per room lower than the current posted rate, and the 15% would be on top of that. To give an idea of what that means, right now the rooms are listed for June 2005 at $79/night for the cheapest 1 King/No DL or Pool view to $109/night for Premium room with DL view. Our rates for the same rooms would be $58.65 for the cheapest up to $84.15 for the premium. Several types in between those two with the same savings.

Willie also stated he has a conference room adjacent to one of the pools that he would make available for a Dismeet if we desire. Both the room and pool area could be used.

He is also checking on the availability of a shuttle service from the hotel to the port. He will get back with me on that.

Since their reservations/rates are in the HoJo computer system, we will not be able to actually make these reservations until sometime in September. Their website says 344 days prior, but in reality rates and availability don't show up until two to three weeks later. He did state that their would be no problem for anyone to get these rates that far in advance. Also, the access he has given us is used by HoJo for their preferred customers and we will get the best rooms available within the room type reserved.

All in all, I am happy with the offer they are making. He was very pleasant, and if you have read any of the reviews about HoJo, service is one of the most positively mentioned areas.

The site to go to for reservations is www.hojoanaheim.com/mouseinfo It is actually the same offer they provide mouseinfo members (HoJo is a sponsor, just like DU is for this board) You do not have to join Mouseinfo unless you want to. I did and it is free and as easy as joining the Disboards. On the website is a link to the reservation form, as well as a link to a pdf file which shows the different room types and property map. If anyone has any questions, please ask. I'm sure I forgot something. Also, Willie is available at william.simpson@hojoanaheim.com

Some reviews by past patrons:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrahjph

Who's with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter