August 2014 Car Rental Deal Watch!

National with KLM is $412 for minivan for 8 days in early August.

Carrentalsavers is $433.

Guess, I'll have to keep hunting. Hoping to get down to $300 by the time we need to travel.

Just booked a minivan with priceline name your own price for $35/day. We'll be there 8-16 leaving 8-22. Total after taxes/fees is $288 for a 6 day rental (sat to fri).
I've always had great luck with priceline. Last time we were able to book a full size car for $11/day.

The family and I are going down yet again this August from the 16th to the 30th.

I scored an amazing price last year about two months out, maybe 2 1/2 months, using a coupon code and alamo insider. I'l definitely be watching this thread closely yet again this year, that's for sure!

So far Costco and direct from Alamo has not been good... we pick up and drop off at MCO (Orlando Airport). I tend to like Alamo for one because their prices usually drop low for a week or two and you can get a great rate and they have a great selection to choose from in whatever class you book and you just walk down the row and choose one you like. Model, color, etc.

Your dates are almost identical to mine. We are the 17th to the 31st.

We have a midsize SUV via National for $500 all-in . So far, that's the best I have been able to find. We need a mid or fullsize SUV or a minivan (cars are too cramped for my big fellows).

We are Alamo fans as well...so we will be watching with you for a price drop as our dates grow closer. :)

I need a minivan from 8/20-8/30. Can't find anything under $500. Hoping prices drop as we get closer!!

Just booked a minivan with priceline name your own price for $35/day. We'll be there 8-16 leaving 8-22. Total after taxes/fees is $288 for a 6 day rental (sat to fri).
I've always had great luck with priceline. Last time we were able to book a full size car for $11/day.

That's a very good price. Do you know which rental company you're bidding with?

Or does Priceline just find the lowest price possible and tell you whom it is afterward?

That's a very good price. Do you know which rental company you're bidding with?

Or does Priceline just find the lowest price possible and tell you whom it is afterward?

You don't know which of the companies you are going to be renting from if you name your own price. However, it will be one of the on-site locations. So you won't be taking a shuttle offsite to pick up your car.
In the past, it always seems i end up with a car from Avis. I think 1x it was hertz.

Our National rate is down from $501.77 to $470.96 :banana: .

16 day rental, midsize SUV.

Using KLM code and $25 coupon from the Entertainment book.

That's only $29.44 per day, taxes and fees included :thumbsup2 .

Our National rate is down from $501.77 to $470.96 :banana: .

16 day rental, midsize SUV.

Using KLM code and $25 coupon from the Entertainment book.

That's only $29.44 per day, taxes and fees included :thumbsup2 .

Thank you Gina, you helped me yet again! I got my 4 day minivan rental (8/25-8/29) down to $202.32, from 223.74 with this information using your codes. You always seem to be saving me money! :worship:

I'm getting discouraged looking at these prices that I keep seeing online. I'm hoping they come down as we get closer to the date.

Right now, I have a standard car reserved through Alamo picking up at the Walt Disney Car Care Center from 8/8 though 8/16 for $265. I'd really like to cancel that and eventually get one from the airport for the whole time I'm there, but the prices are $460 for that! Keep the codes coming!

I'm getting discouraged looking at these prices that I keep seeing online. I'm hoping they come down as we get closer to the date.

Right now, I have a standard car reserved through Alamo picking up at the Walt Disney Car Care Center from 8/8 though 8/16 for $265. I'd really like to cancel that and eventually get one from the airport for the whole time I'm there, but the prices are $460 for that! Keep the codes coming!

After numerous trips down there, 2 and 3 times a year, prices will drop as we get closer. Generally 2 months out from your arrival date. I wouldn't get discouraged this early, just keep checking routinely once a day, watch these forums and focus on enjoying the upcoming trip :)

After numerous trips down there, 2 and 3 times a year, prices will drop as we get closer. Generally 2 months out from your arrival date. I wouldn't get discouraged this early, just keep checking routinely once a day, watch these forums and focus on enjoying the upcoming trip :)

Excellent advice :thumbsup2 .

Hi everyone :wave:

We need a minivan for 13 days - Aug 3 - 16th. I signed up for Flyingblue and used the KLM code for a total of $669.62 Do you think I can do better then that? That is with National, do you have to pay more for additional drivers? I had a bit higher rate with Avis via Costco that included an additional driver for free, maybe that is better if you have to pay for additional through National? :confused3

Hoping to reduce the rate as much as possible, but we are a family of 6 so limited to what vehicles we can rent.

... just can't wait!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Hi everyone :wave:

We need a minivan for 13 days - Aug 3 - 16th. I signed up for Flyingblue and used the KLM code for a total of $669.62 Do you think I can do better then that? That is with National, do you have to pay more for additional drivers? I had a bit higher rate with Avis via Costco that included an additional driver for free, maybe that is better if you have to pay for additional through National? :confused3

Hoping to reduce the rate as much as possible, but we are a family of 6 so limited to what vehicles we can rent.

... just can't wait!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

I think you will definitely beat that price for 13 days by waiting and watching Costco or however you like to price out rentals, as mentioned, around 2 months before your dates.

I'm still checking every day for the heck of it for my stay (August 16-30) knowing it's high now and will definitely drop as we get closer to 2 months out. Big thing to remember is you can always cancel these reservation unless you book through some hotwire deal or similar sites which do not reimburse you for cancellations, so book if you feel its low but STILL CONTINUE TO CHECK after booking even when you think you got the best deal. I've made and cancelled sometimes up to 10 times on previous reservations because I kept getting lower and lower prices as the days went by.

Good luck and enjoy your trip! :)

My rate dropped from $349 to $260 today! August 7th-16th for a compact with National using the KLM code.

I noticed that that code included a bunch of the additional fees, which really helped. I did sign up for the Flying Blue program on the KLM site. What sort of documentation will I need to prove I'm authorized to use this code if they ask?

I'm curious about that too. My rate with the KLM code was pretty good. I'm a bit nervous about it. I guess we'd need to just show that we are members? Anyone else know?

That has always been my fear with codes like the KLM code. I know people have used it/them and had no problems but some have. I'd hate to be 'that person' who arrives first day on vacation fresh off the plane ready to have a great time and BAM! I get called out on it and have no other reservation to fall back on, one where I still could have probably gotten a very good deal, and have to be forced to pay what they now want. Yeah, I'll just use codes I know will not be a potential issue on arrival day at the counter to avoid frustration and paying loads more.

Quite honestly, I've never had a bad deal flying to Orlando usually using Costco for my car rental or codes direct from Alamo or Thrifty. I get a full size when I'm done there each time and with taxes I always end up paying around $18-21 a day.

I'm curious about that too. My rate with the KLM code was pretty good. I'm a bit nervous about it. I guess we'd need to just show that we are members? Anyone else know?

Have your KLM Flying Blue membership with you when you travel. If questioned about your eligibility for the code, that should be all you need to produce.

I have an actual card with DH's name and membership number. IIRC, I think there was somewhere on the website where you could order a replacement card (we never did get an initial one on sign up, just the print-at-home version). I know we received the card quite quickly after it was ordered.

Hi all...if you have access to chase ultimate rewards via one of their credit cards (sapphire, ink bold, etc.), you can book either with points or money via their travel portal. We just booked a minivan for a week in August for $272, all in. IIRC, it was with National, but we could have picked Alamo or Enterprise also. Rate was good for MCO or TPA.

thank you for this tip, I didn't even think about it. I just checked prices for a smaller SUV and the price was at least 100$ less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter