August 2021 - will I be going ?

I was wondering something, I live in the Netherlands and I always like to read along with you. I wonder if you have the same dilemma as me. I have 2 children. What if, they are not vaccinated but they expect for example, a negative test result for children next year. I mean this isn't over just yet. And then you have to have your children tested 1 or 2 days in advance. Suppose the test suddenly shows that they have covid, that is possible because children do not always get sick from it, but they can carry it with them. And then, you are there 2 days or worse 1 day in advance. expensive vacation gone.... and a lot off money.
don't you worry about that?
This is the reason we are not going abroad this year, well to be precise its another reason on top of many others, such as countries moving between green and amber (i cannot isolate on return, we have been warned by work), country being visited changing rules for arriving UK visitors, too many disappointments last year. I could go on.
I realise these may be surmountable for others, but not for me sadly.

yes, we don't plan on going until 2022 anyway. but America has always been stricter than other countries with travel. I just think it won't just be gone next summer.

I agree with you nursejackie and woodview

we are still keeping our fingers crossed that we can go to Disneyland paris at least this year.

I don't see any reason for USA not to be on the UK green list by August if not earlier as vaccination numbers are very similar, but the final hurdle will be USA allowing travel into the country. I have my fingers crossed for myself for September and don't see why this wouldn't be in place by August. Just have to sit tight and wait for news I guess.

Very much the same feelings now, data , vaccinated % are pointed in the right direction for both countries, I’ve said for months Biden & Boris will hopefully bash out a bi lateral agreement at the G7 next week.
The problem if I'm USA is that UK is allowing a lot more international mixing, it would really be opening up its borders to whoever UK is opening up to as well. I just don't think US wants those floodgates. If it does open the testing will be very stringent and probably costing average travelling family out.
I'm saying this as someone who has tickets, flights and accommodation all booked separately for end of Aug for 2 weeks and need to decide by mid July.

I just can't see it being a grand free for all opening, it'll be very cautious if at all

I had a holiday booked for 29th august but hav moved it to next year I really don’t think it’s going to happen because
A this new variant may keep us out of usa
B I think they want us to spend in this country not spend it else where

Last edited:
I had a holiday booked for 29th august but hav moved it to next year I really don’t think it’s going to happen because
A this new variant may keep us out of usa
B I think they want us to spend in this country not spend it else where

100% agree that they (UK) would like us to staycation and spend money here in this dump of a Country. Personally had enough of the unfounded restrictions and I will travel as soon as the US lets me in. I simply do not understand why vaccinated people are treated the same as unvaccinated. I do not understand why the minority dictate to the majority. At what stage will they understand that discrimination works both ways. Sorry....had to rant.

I simply do not understand why vaccinated people are treated the same as unvaccinated. I do not understand why the minority dictate to the majority. At what stage will they understand that discrimination works both ways. Sorry....had to rant.
This thing is quite new...we're still learning about it and how to react to it. Vaccinations don't prevent you getting it or passing it on, so restrictions on fully vaccinated people are there to protect the unvaccinated. It's not discrimination as the only thing that differentiates the two groups are that fully vaccinated people are less likely to become seriously ill thmselves. Doesn't prevent them passing it on and killing others and that's what the restrictions are trying to prevent. In that respect there is no difference between the two groups and they're being treated the same, they both pass the virus on and kill others. Until the majority are vaccinated and more details and more data come to light, we are all still in a volatile position.

You are aware that people who just couldn't wait to fly out to Portugal are now having trouble getting back because the situation changed while they were away. And this just doesn't affect them, the situation is causing chaos for others. Just hold tight for the moment until things are more stable. We're in a much better position than a year ago, indeed from a couple of months ago. But cases are rising again and only half the population are fully vaccinated. We just don't know what's going to happen in the next few weeks/months, but I'm sure once things are stable then we'll be able to fly out to the USA again.

I lost my mother to covid in February. In a care home, she went almost a whole year without getting it. I'd been on tenterhooks the whole time. But then she caught it from a staff member in the first week of January, who just hadn't been able to wait to mix with others over Christmas just because they could. It's not about you, it's about others.

Last edited:
This thing is quite new...we're still learning about it and how to react to it. Vaccinations don't prevent you getting it or passing it on, so restrictions on fully vaccinated people are there to protect the unvaccinated. It's not discrimination as the only thing that differentiates the two groups are that fully vaccinated people are less likely to become seriously ill thmselves. Doesn't prevent them passing it on and killing others and that's what the restrictions are trying to prevent. In that respect there is no difference between the two groups and they're being treated the same. Until the majority are vaccinated and more details and more data come to light, we are all still in a volatile position.

You are aware that people who just couldn't wait to fly out to Portugal are now having trouble getting back because the situation changed while they were away. And this just doesn't affect them, the situation is causing chaos for others. Just hold tight for the moment until things are more stable. We're in a much better position than a year ago, indeed from a couple of months ago. But cases are rising again and only half the population are fully vaccinated. We just don't know what's going to happen in the next few weeks/months, but I'm sure once things are stable then we'll be able to fly out to the USA again.

I lost my mother to covid in February. In a care home, she went almost a whole year without getting it. I'd been on tenterhooks the whole time. But then she caught it from a staff member in the first week of January, who just hadn't been able to wait to mix with others over Christmas just because they could. It's not about you, it's about others.
Firstly I am sorry for your loss.

You must understand that we have to live with this. It isn’t going away. As you say we don’t know what is going to happen. We don’t know what the future holds. However more people died yesterday of Malaria. More people died crossing the road. About time we got on with life. This is a little off topic so best we focus on something to look forward to. Apologies.

Cancelled our August trip now, got fed up with the uncertainty and how the government is behaving.

We got another flight voucher for this trip that's been rescheduled 4 times and will book again for end of April into May once the flights are availble.

Used our banked DVC points along with current use year to get one week club level at AKL in a one bed villa and the other week at Yacht club on the Disney UK booking offer. Tentatively booked Madrid hotel on free cancellation and pay at villa.

Rather a strange announcement today regarding US reducing travel restrictions for 61 countries but not UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57403216

Basically nothing changes for European tourists wanting to go to USA. All this means, is that American tourists can go to more countries.

Until UK and European countries are removed from this list Travelers Prohibited from Entry to the United States no one from UK, Ireland and other European can go to Walt Disney World or Disneyland California

Basically nothing changes for European tourists wanting to go to USA. All this means, is that American tourists can go to more countries.

Until UK and European countries are removed from this list Travelers Prohibited from Entry to the United States no one from UK, Ireland and other European can go to Walt Disney World or Disneyland California
I appreciate that, it was just odd that France on there with 20% vaccinated population and we weren't with 40%.
Could indicate a separate agreement is coming or that UK seen as greater risk? Just seemed strange logic to me

I appreciate that, it was just odd that France on there with 20% vaccinated population and we weren't with 40%.
Could indicate a separate agreement is coming or that UK seen as greater risk? Just seemed strange logic to me

It's yet more really bad journalism from the BBC. Yesterday UK was at level 3, whilst France was at level 4 for outbound travel from the US. The CDC changed the threshold they use for this categorisation, which meant that France was downgraded into level 3. This update was never about who they let into the US, just where they warn their own about avoiding.

I think there may be a financial logic behind our government's actions such that they may not be even pressing the USA to lift the ban on us going there, and indeed keeping a firm lid on any travel abroad.
The logic would be that we are in a financial mess, and UK businesses are in a hole too, so any money spent abroad is a waste. Far better to keep people 'contained' in the UK to spend that money here thus helping UK businesses and via them putting tax money back into our coffers.

Yes, airports and airlines will suffer, but although vocal I suspect they are less than half the spend on most foreign holidays, so on balance the govt may choose to let them take a bit more pain in favour of local businesses.

I think there may be a financial logic behind our government's actions such that they may not be even pressing the USA to lift the ban on us going there, and indeed keeping a firm lid on any travel abroad.
The logic would be that we are in a financial mess, and UK businesses are in a hole too, so any money spent abroad is a waste. Far better to keep people 'contained' in the UK to spend that money here thus helping UK businesses and via them putting tax money back into our coffers.

Yes, airports and airlines will suffer, but although vocal I suspect they are less than half the spend on most foreign holidays, so on balance the govt may choose to let them take a bit more pain in favour of local businesses.

This has been my theory for awhile. Keep the money in the country by discouraging as much travel as possible.

I've long given up any belief that the government have a clue what they're doing when it comes to managing travel during COVID. They've done some things right, but certainly not this.

This is a bit tongue in cheek, but bear with me...

The problem with the spend money at home argument is there are 730,000 hotel rooms (2011 data, the number will have gone up a bit) in the UK, but 11.5 million school kids. That means everyone can take a two and a half night break during the six week summer holiday (rounding out on the basis that although many families have more than one child, they'll also need more than one room). You'd also have to ban travel by anyone who doesn't have a kid in school. My thoughts and prayers to whoever gets the Travelodge between the pig farm and the cement works on the side of the A19...

My original trip was booked for October 2020. It got cancelled June 2020 and rebooked for August 2021….who knew we’d still be in this position 14 months later.

if it wasn’t already booked I wouldn’t be even contemplating going anywhere this year, but I really don’t want to have to rearrange it again. We bought all our park tickets (disney, universal etc) 2 months before the world went crazy….and the dates on those have only been extended to the end of this year. We wouldn’t be able to rebook for this year….😭 it’s just a nightmare of uncertainty for everyone!

Me and my partner are fully vaccinated, his kids aren’t as they under 18/under 10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter