Avatar Flight of Passage - Motion Sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been known to get motion sickness from time to time. I have no problem riding Sorin, however, I can't ride Mission Space Orange. I ride Star Tours, but it is right on the edge for me.

For those that have ridden FOP, which other Disney ride would you compare the overall motion sensation?

I want to ride the ride, however, you can see my dilemma.

Thanks for your input!

I am not necessarily prone to motion sickness, but do get it from time to time after getting OFF the ride. Flights of Passage is pretty intense and I will not ride it again because of the after effect dizziness. It is a great ride, don't get me wrong. Just not worth the dizziness for me!!

For anyone that suffers from motion sickness like myself please consider buying the reliefband watch. It has been life changing for me. The reliefband watch in short stops motion sickness from occurring.

Here is my experience with it and my background with motion sickness. I easily get motion sickness in a vehicle if I start looking at my phone for too long, sit in the back of vehicle for too long (30 minutes). I have to sit in the front of the vehicle to feel okay. As far as planes (commercial) I've never experienced motion sickness considering I always get a window seat, but I have tested the watch on the plane and if I did have any ounce of motion sickness it certainly did the trick. Never been on a train with it on. I never used it on a boat yet, but would loved to have it a year earlier when I went deep sea fishing where I threw up for a pretty long time. It was the constant rocking back and forth motion that kills me. Now I've used the watch when I was traveling by the Disney bus system and let me tell you it worked excellent considering the multiple stops at CBR. I tried it with it turned off and on and certainly could tell the difference with it on. No sense of feeling queasy from the stop and go of the bus.

Now for the most important part which includes the rides. I used it on all the rides that I went on. I would of been throwing up after from space mountain for sure. To me that would make me sick because of all the jerky motions and it being in the dark. I do better when I can actually see what is going on, doesn't mess with the brain so much haha. Another ride I tried it on was Test Track. Those were probably the most intense rides I went on while was there this spring. I wasn't able to try it on some of the other rides like tower of terror, rocking roller coaster, star tours, or flight of passage (wasn't open). I can say though it certainly fixes nausea feeling 100%. If you have any questions let me know. The reliefband costs $85 I believe on Amazon and they are currently working on a new generation watch for end of this year release.

Reactions: CJN
i have riden flight of passage several times. Once made me nauseous, once was fine and once was iffy.

My husband figured out that it depends on where your motorcycle is in the theater if I get nauseous or not. When my motorcycle was right in the middle of the theater - no problems. When we were assigned to a theater on the edge, the motion of the motorcycle and the movie did not totally match up and I was nausea as a result!

I've been on FOP 2x. Let me say I was terrified the first time. Anxious, sure I would puke, and tried to chicken out before the cast member talked me into trying it. If it wasn't for that wonderful cast member talking me down from my anxiety attack, I would have never gotten on it. Kudos to her! I prepared well - bonine, seabands, a gallon ziplock in my pocket in case of motion sickness. I was terrified (I have puked on rides before). Good news, I MADE IT! And, I LOVED IT! The second time was even more awesome because I knew I wouldn't get sick (same preparations minus barf bag). I find leaning forward just adds to the experience (was worried about constriction/claustrophobia as well in advance, not a problem).

Rides I can do: Splash, TOT, BTMM, Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids, 7DMT, Test Track, Soarin'
Rides I have done and will not do again: Star Tours (have been many times, but finally decided I'm done with the nausea), Expedition Everest, Space (also done a lot, but I'm done), tea cups, Primeval Whirl, Mission Space (so brutal for me that my entire family no longer goes on that ride due to flashbacks of my panic attack). Harry Potter (I barely made it out alive).
Ride I have not done: Rock & roller coaster. Nope. Love Aerosmith, but can't do it.

LOL, I thought I was the only one who got on rides with a spare bag in my pocket just in case :)

I have pretty good motion sickness and I start taking bonnine about two days before we leave (even flying get to me a little) and take it every day on vacation at night. I didn't have any problems on the ride which I was so happy because FOP is amazing.

I love Soarin'. I prefer the older version, but the new one I still enjoy, except I find myself closing my eyes when they are switching to a new location. If not, I let out a very loud gasp, but I'm fine. I can ride but don't love Mission Space Green. I get off of that a little dizzy, but fine. I cannot ride Star Tours. I thought I could, when I was younger I could ride it over and over again. Then a few years ago, I tried to ride it. I almost got sick and it really ruined the rest of my day.

FOP almost made me sick. I wanted to love it, but I don't think I'll ever be able to ride it again. I should have researched it more, but I wanted to be surprised. It is Soarin' on speed IMHO. I was okay for about a minute, but I hate when air blows in my face, and then there was a mist blowing in my face and I was done for. I had a minor anxiety attack and I couldn't breathe. I looked away from the screen and that was better. I tried looking at the screen again, but I didn't last very long. The concept is amazing, but I wish they would do a less intense version for wimps like me. I don't know if it's the motion, the 3D, the air and mist, or a combination of everything, but it was not good for me. The long walk leaving the ride helped me feel better, and then I waited in line for Na'vi River Journey and standing in the same spot for a long time also helped. Shortly after that, I ate at Satuli Canteen, and a family near me was talking about one of them getting sick after riding FOP.

If you get motion sickness, maybe try watching a video of the ride. I think if I had, I knew I wouldn't be able to ride it.

I usually dont get motion sick on anything other than playing some sim racing games on my projector for long periods of time but FOP make me queasy. The resolution on the screen was higher than star tours which should have helped but in my opinion the 3d was blurry especially if you moved your head at all. Maybe the glasses didnt fit me right but I had that vr blurry feeling where the refresh rate of the projector wasnt high enough to keep me from feeling bad afterwards. Great ride but those are my two cents.
My family uses Sea Bands on cruises, flights and car drives and they are life savers!! We swear by them. But we haven't been on FOP yet, so I can't comment on that. We'll be there in 2 weeks :yay: so I'll let you know what our experience is.

Oooh, yay! Thank you and I hope you have a wonderful time :dogdance:

:-)I almost chickened out and didn't ride this, but now I'm glad that I did! It didn't make me sick. I closed my eyes a couple of times though! I watched it a couple of times on YouTube so I knew what to expect. It's a very unique ride!

Has anyone tried taking ginger before going on this ride? Just curious.
I think am going to try that this time. I get motion sick on Star Tours and the last time I rode ToT. When I was Universal I got extremely sick on the transformer ride, but not Gringotts. I am hoping that I will be able to ride this ride!!! The stops in Gringotts help immensely and I see there are some stops on FoP as well.

As a former commercial fisherman in Alaska who has terrible motion sickness, take my advice. Use Bonine/Meclazine. SERIOUSLY. It is so much better than Dramamine. No drowsiness, just a little foggy feeling in the head. I have been taking this drug since the late Eighties and cannot say enough good things about its effectiveness.
How soon do you take this before you ride? Would an hour be enough time for it to take effect?

How soon do you take this before you ride? Would an hour be enough time for it to take effect?
Instructions from my bottle: "Take dose one hour before travel. Adults 12 and over 25-50 mg once daily."

I usually take one 25 mg tablet an hour before travel or rides and 4-6 hours later I take another 25 mg tablet.

My motion sickness seems to get worse every year. I had always been fine on most rides (besides the teacups) up until about a year ago. Dramamine helps a little and sea bands do nothing for me. That being said on our trip in May I tried a "cocktail" of the Regular Dramamine and a Zofran and it worked wonders. You'll need a prescription for the Zofran but it's so worth it.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of riding this. The only rides that have made me sick are Star Tours and Mission Space Green (ToT gave me an anxiety attack, but that's a different story).

Soarin is my absolute favorite ride in all of WDW.

I am also trying to work up the stomach for Forbidden Journey, as I think I will really regret it if I don't ride. I appreciate all the helpful suggestions in this thread! I'm going to check out Bonine!

I thought I read that there were parts of FoP where you had the sensation of a big drop; the 'leave your stomach hanging in the air' kind. That drop sensation bothers me. I am fine on Star Tours but will not ride ToT, Splash, or any significant roller coaster for that reason. BTMRR is my outer limit. For those of you who have ridden FoP, do you think it would also be an issue for me?
I definitely got the drop feeling. I am glad I experienced it one time but I would not go again because of the drops. I closed my eyes and still felt them so the ride does move up and down. I can ride soarin and Star Wars not this one.

it will rpobably make you sick. It makes me a little sick and I get nothing on Soarin', nothing on star tours but i don't feel like riding it again, hate mission space. I plan to take a bonine next time before my AK day. I have issues with some virtual motion when actual motion doesn't match what I'm seeing... those things at the old disney quest with aladdins flying carpets made me want to hurl!

I got a little sick on this ride at the end. Seemed to go on about 45 seconds to long for me. I just closed my eyes till the end. Felt a little off but recovered pretty quickly luckily.

Gets me queasy every time. The wind in the face kinda helps though.

Soarin, nothing. Mission space green, a little annoyed. Star tours, mad at myself for going on it again. FOP, green faced but worth it once, although it takes me a few hours to get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter