Balcony Smoking - AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by eek40
Diana,

Yes I am considerate of all people. And no I do not place my rights above anyones......just and others shouldnt put theirs before mine:) If someone asked me nicely while they were out on their balcony of course I would ask if their was a time that it would be better, but I would hope that they would think about my time also. My point is, that if everyone would think about not just themselves in this issue it would be a lot easier. I dont feel flamed at all. I just feel like my rights and your rights are equal regardless of wheather I smoke or not. Like my points about unsupervised children, and noise makers...etc. Its all a matter of consideration. But to your main question..if I was asked I would not smoke, but I would not refrain for the whole trip. I would ask when they were planning on not useing their verhanda...etc. Also it should be know that I dont "chain Smoke" I like a cig, not 10 at a time.
Aimee

I have to say I agree with you. I am not a smoker but my husband is. As long as smoking is permitted on the balconies, I don't see where one person's rights outweigh anothers. My husband by the way is a considerate smoker, always smokes outside, never indoors around children (even if they sit in a smoking section in a restaurant), follows smoking policies in public areas etc.

I have to say that this discussion is being blown a little out of proportion. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke too, but I have never found the smoking smell to be bad while sitting with him on our balcony (from him, or any neighboring cabin). With the ocean breeze while in port, or the wind from being at sea, the smell is barely noticable if at all.

And remember, if smelling cigarette smoke really is a severe medical problem, there is an alternative, Carnival has a smoke free ship. Or, write to DCL and suggest that one side of the ship's balconies be smoking.

Why do Americans seem to suffer from MANY more smoke related illnesses? When we were living in Europe(not that long ago), it seemed everyone smoked. I was pregnant and sick to my stomach but would have had to barricade myself inside to avoid smoke. I agree that second hand smoke is a problem but how do any of the people who go to WDW ever travel outside of our country? If I tried to request a non-smoking, non-connected room because of migraines, allergies, asthma, pregnancy etc., I'd never leave the U.S. to visit anyone. There is a whole world outside of Epcot and we should think of ways to see it. Threehearts

Michael, my 8 year old son, has asthma triggered by smoke, perfume, air fresheners, household chemicals and soap smells (such as those in the supermarket aisle).

I would never put him in jeopardy nor would I infringe on anothers right to smoke or wear perfume. I just know that I have to be careful all the time with people and things around us for his comfort, safety and health.

No one would intentionally jeopardize another person, especially a child, so I would not imply that. It's just another challenge (such as an egg or peanut allergy) that we have to contend with.

Rae

Among the suggestions made was one to designate the verandahs on the starboard side of the ship as smoking

Nice idea.

Remembering back 25 and 30 years ago when smoking was still allowed on airlines, there was the "smoking section" all the way in the back of the plane. I think that's what should be done - the back 10% or 15% of the ship are the "smoking section" rooms.

First- I am not a smoker...with that said

Russ...you need to calm down! The chances of you or any of your family members getting cancer from the 7days of "somewhat" secondhand smoke is utter nonsense and I personally feel, a way for you just to complain. I lived in a home with smokers as a child and back in the 70's people would smoke at the dinner table (as they still do now in Europe) and I can thankfully say that I have healthy lungs. The amount of smoke you would get would be so minimal that the pollution driving to the ship would be worse.

And to the original poster.....I understand what you are saying since I am not a smoker, however, imagine they told you that you could not use nail polish in the rooms (whihc I find the smell very offensive) and the only way you could do your nails is to book a very expensive balcony. Well these people are already being discriminated against, and then, for the few hours that they spend in their room, if they go out on the balcony 5 times a day at most they risk being glared at or talked about. It just doesn't seem fair to me that's all. I feel if it is truly going to bother you, don't get a balcony or wait the 5 minutes it takes them to smoke their cigarette and then go on the balcony.

Your outside....the smoke does not linger like in a closed room.

Just my 10 cents

Lori

Good morning lruggiero.

back in the 70's people would smoke at the dinner table (as they still do now in Europe)

I don't quite understand this analogy. The same people who smoked in Europe in the '70s still smoke? Or Europeans are "traditionalists" in terms of smoking at the dinner table? Or old addictions are passed on from generation to generation?

Like my Dad (darn, I miss him) used to say to me - "If someone jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge would..."

these people are already being discriminated against

"Restrictions" are NOT "discrimination." I'd call the smoking issue "unhealthy compromise." Have you ever exited a store and walked into a smoking area? Everything in the vicinity reeks of cigarettes. If cement could catch human disease, it would have to be on life support after a while. Same thing for the verandahs. Yes, the smoke clears. But the continual hovering of smoke and extinguishing of cigarettes on the verandah creates an intolerable stench for some non-smokers.

I wish I had an answer satisfactory to everyone concerned, but this issue might well baffle a modern-day Solomon...

If someone has an allergy to smoke, such as my son with asthma, even a "little second hand smoke" can be very dangerous.

I spent years working as an RN in an area where patients were allowed to smoke 24/7. My eyes burned, my clothes and hair reeked of the smell and there were no policies "back then" regarding this. Thankfully now we are smoke-free in hospital and clinic settings. How could we have possible promoted health and allowed tobacco use?!

Maybe a special area off the back of the ship on those "secret decks" would be a good place for smokers to gather.

Rae

We had veranda rooms on both our cruises and never had a problem with smokers. Our last cruise we did have a problem with the couple talking loudly though. :mad: We usually kept our veranda door open overnight so we could be lulled to sleep by the ocean sounds, but most mornings we were awakened by 6:00 a.m. by the couple going out on their veranda and talking loudly to each other (and the man would blow his nose loudly too, making that "honking" sound). I would have to get up and shut the door if we weren't ready to get up yet. :( People need to talk more softly on their verandas, voices carry very well on the ocean!! And I guess I would rather put up with someone smoking a cigarette (not chain-smoking though) on their veranda rather than noisy people, or kids running up and down the hall ways at 3:00 in the morning. :mad:

We took a short Carnival cruise just before our Disney cruise last year, and I saw lots more people smoking on that ship than I did on the Magic. But most of the time the smoke didn't even bother me, on either ship. And I really HATE the smell of smoke, but the ventilation systems are really good and even when we spent time in the bars I didn't smell smoke, and one time we were seated right next to a table where someone was smoking. Maybe I'm just in a "different frame of mind" when I'm cruising or something, but it just doesn't bother me that much.

Now CIGAR smoking, THAT's a whole other issue!!! :teeth:

Originally posted by Chattyaholic
Maybe I'm just in a "different frame of mind" when I'm cruising or something,

I like that!!!!! I think we all need to be in that frame of mind!!!!

Rae

Just to add our two pennys worth....

Both being non smokers, we do hate being subjected to other peoples smoke while eating meals etc... So it does degrade our vacation experience to be enveloped in cigarette smoke from next door, whilst eating our breakfast on our veranda, as the ship docks in Nassau, freeport and castaway cay. (One of the supreme joys of cruising)

But as the thread says, there is very little we can do about it, as you are in danger of infringing some persons rights to kill themselves with lung cancer if you try and ban it.

I love the idea of having the smoking section at the end of the ship. (ideally in a small tender being towed on the end of a long rope)

Anyhow we could think of other naughty things to do on the veranda. which would upset other people no doubt...

;) ;)

Hakuna Mattata... (excuse spelling)

john :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Enough. Please continue this discussion on smoking on the debate board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter