BB or TL

Kathleen Zwally

Earning My Ears
We have 1 day to spend at a watepark. I like the vibe (it seems more tropical) of TL. We have an almost 7yr old who is not a strong swimmer but loves water slides/coaster rides. I do not usually like wave pools as they make me feel seasick, or big body slides (been on BB big one and ow!) We want family rides for sure and good slides we all enjoy.

Suggestions and advice!

This is week after Easter if that matters.

We've done each one dozens of times, in fact we're doing a trip next summer and going to only the waterparks. Reality is that they're about 50/50, they're both fantastic. They both have great slides. Each one has unique "big" slides. The biggest difference is in the wave pool. The BB wave pool has small and continuous waves. It's like bobbing out on a choppy ocean. I enjoy it, but it does make me a bit seasick after 20-30 minutes. The TL wave pool has huge, gigantic waves that come once every two minutes or so. If you're going to go into the deep end of that pool, you need to be a strong swimmer...though the same is true at BB. Both are zero entry pools, so if your child isn't a strong swimmer, keep them in the more shallow end. Some people will say the TL wave pool is more dangerous, but I would completely disagree with that.

Both parks have really fun lazy rivers and smaller slides.

If you like the TL theme better, then go there. You'll love it. Hit the big slides first. Park usually opens at 10am. Get there at 9:55am, that's more than enough time ahead. Rope drop crowd is very small. The slides you'd want to do first are Humunga Kowabunga, Miss Adventure and Crush n Gusher. From there, do the smaller stuff, the wave pool and lazy river.

TL to us is SO much better. We love the tropical feel to it and that lazy river I can stay in all day! We rented a cabana last time as well and if you swing it, highly recommend! Either way, enjoy!

Both parks offer enough for any family - so I'd go with the theming that interests you more.

TL for misadventure falls and crush and gusher. I think you'll like all but maybe 1 slide at TL (humunga kowabunga might be iffy).

At BB, the the big slide you mentioned, slash and gusher, and double dippers might all be problematic for your family.

You like the TL theme more.

Though can be adventurous as you feel comfortable with the giant waves. Just go as deep as you want, you'll still enjoy.

Dd will be in puddle jumper or life vest...can she still do body slides, etc. with it on?

Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be able to do body slides or mat slides. I think the tube slides would be OK. I could be wrong, we never brought any of that stuff in, so I don't pay a ton of attention to it. They have lift vests there you can use.

Dd will be in puddle jumper or life vest...can she still do body slides, etc. with it on?
You need to use their life vests, so don't bother bringing one. They are free to use, and are very good ones. They come in different sizes.

You can not use them on body slide or mat slides. However, the mat slides are only a few inches deep, so you don't need them. Some of the body slides are only a few inches deep at the bottom also (summit plummet, slush n gusher, for example), but I think you should be a strong swimmer for storm slides (if I remember that correctly, it's been awhile).

Vests are good on the tube slides, wave pools, and lazy rivers.

However, the mat slides are only a few inches deep, so you don't need them.

Snow Stormers at Blizzard Beach are mat slides that dump you into a pool. I think the pool is only 3-4' deep, but it's definitely more than a few inches, so be mindful of that.

Snow Stormers at Blizzard Beach are mat slides that dump you into a pool. I think the pool is only 3-4' deep, but it's definitely more than a few inches, so be mindful of that.
Thanks, I was thinking of Tobaggan racers specifically. I forgot about Snow Stormers!

TL to us is SO much better. We love the tropical feel to it and that lazy river I can stay in all day! We rented a cabana last time as well and if you swing it, highly recommend! Either way, enjoy!
I agree with this as well. We love TL much much more. I didnt like BB at all. We've been once or twice, never again. We just dont find it relaxing at all, (at least i dont). There's so much climbing and tube carrying. Its exhausting really.

We love the vibe of TL...and the big wave pool is a blast. The lazy river is awesome.:)

How bad is summit plummit? My dare devil daughter really wants to go and I am trying to decide if I should force myself to go. I like roller coasters and I like intertube rides, but I have a fear of heights and I don’t get much from the straight plunge rides, but then it is like, I am only going to this water park once. Is it one of those things under yolo or is this a Jomo thing (joy of missing out)?

How bad is summit plummit? My dare devil daughter really wants to go and I am trying to decide if I should force myself to go. I like roller coasters and I like intertube rides, but I have a fear of heights and I don’t get much from the straight plunge rides, but then it is like, I am only going to this water park once. Is it one of those things under yolo or is this a Jomo thing (joy of missing out)?
It's over in a couple heartbeats. Then you slow down. With the splash in your face it's virtually impossible to keep your eyes open. So the ride down itself really isn't that bad.

However, sitting on the top of the slide, waiting for the "go" from the lifeguard, looking out over the edge into nothing but the skyline... that is the heart stopping scary part.

Once you get yourself to push yourself over the edge, it's over. Yes, you must push yourself. And, yes it's literally over the edge seemingly straight down into nothingness.

I’m also afraid of heights. I did it and I was really close to backing out. Not kidding, my knees have never shaken that bad in my life. I hated the entire thing. Glad I did it but never again! Oh and can you say SUPER WEDGIE?

It's really not that bad at all. It's only a few seconds long. The initial "drop" is probably the most intense and from there it's just a straight...and fast...slide. As PP mentioned, you really can't see anyway because of the spray. I'd definitely suggest trying it.

Actually, to me, the more intense one is Slush Gusher, which is the slide right next to it. It's not as tall as Summit Plummet, but it's a double hump slide. So you go down, level out a bit, then another drop, then another level, then another drop. The last drop you will actually feel yourself come up off the slide a little and "catch air". Reality is that you're probably no more than one inch off the slide when you catch air, but it feels like 3 feet. The bigger you are the more intense it'll feel because you'll build up more speed.

Summit plummet hurt like crazy and I was a kid (19?) when I went on it. I would not do.it again. as it wasn't fun with waiting for it to stop!

You can't go wrong with either. There are life vests for your DD to wear as you feel appropriate. My 9yo would recommend BB so that's what I'll say too but whichever you choose will be great!

We have done TL many times, and recently tried BB for the first time. It was fine, but we all agreed TL is better for us. My kids are older than yours (11 and 13) but they loved TL when they were younger too. They are both strong swimmers and have been swimming since age 2, so factor that in. If you are renting a cabana, I think the cabanas at TL are far better than those at BB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter