"Be Careful... You Know You're Here to Act Like Animals!" Updated 7/24

Yeah, that was a fun winter in NYC. It only snowed when they didn't shut things down. It's a good thing you had all that last-minute packing to distract you ... imagine how stressful it would have been if you were already fully packed and didn't have anything to take your mind off the snow!
I'm hoping the fact that there is a TR means you actually made it ... and I hope there weren't too many delays along the way!

I swear, as a Canadian teacher, I could never book a March break trip South as I would be just like you checking the dreaded snow fall every 20 minutes. I'm impressed you took the risk to go in Feb...but I feel your stress.

It's the worst! The whole point of getting away in the winter is to escape the weather, but it's that very weather that can really ruin your whole trip. We're planning on heading out to Vegas for the first time this December, and I'm just hoping that we don't have to deal with this same stress!

I'm in! By the way, I completely understand your fears about weather. We are flying to Disney World for the first time this December. Last time, we drove the 15 hours and my wife swore never again. That's perfectly fine with me since she was the one who was afraid of flying before (we broke that by taking a short-notice trip to Myrtle Beach this summer for the weekend...our local airport started offering low-cost flights there - once she realized that 1 hour was better than 9 driving, she was game for flying). I know we don't normally get big winter storms in the beginning of December, but I have this - maybe, probably, definitely - irrational fear that we are going to the Snowmageddon and not be able to fly. Looking forward to more of your TR.

Even with the fear of snow, I'd still rather fly than drive. That drive is rough, even with the excitement of the vacation ahead. The beginning of December usually isn't bad, so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!

The best part of traveling in the winter is getting away from the cold and snow ... but the worst part is how that same weather can impact your travel and just make you nervous of how it could be impacted ... this past year even moreso.

Though, I assume you made it out as otherwise your TR would go something like

"so we were all set to go but then it snowed too much and our flight was cancelled so we didn't wind up going. The end"

I hear you about getting sucked in the black hole that Youtube can be as one video leads to another suggested video that leads to another, etc.

I think I too leave a lot of the actual packing to the night before since I know I won't be able to sleep anyway

Geeze, thanks for blowing my cliffhanger! :rotfl: There's a very good chance that we did make it, or this would have been the most disappointing (and short) trip report ever :thumbsup2

Yeah, that was a fun winter in NYC. It only snowed when they didn't shut things down. It's a good thing you had all that last-minute packing to distract you ... imagine how stressful it would have been if you were already fully packed and didn't have anything to take your mind off the snow!
I'm hoping the fact that there is a TR means you actually made it ... and I hope there weren't too many delays along the way!

You're right, I would've been driving myself crazy all day. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, February 3, 2015
Chapter 3: An Unexpected Pitstop

It was definitely a restless night. I didn't fall asleep until 1:00 in the morning, and was up every hour or so, making sure to peak out our bedroom window every time to see if the snow outside had stopped. Thankfully it had let up by 3AM, but the roads looked like an icy mess. I was so stressed out - I JUST WANT TO GO TO DISNEY WORLD! By 4:45 I was up and at 'em, before out alarm was even set to go off at 5. I couldn't sit around and worry anymore - let's go, go, go! I jumped in the shower and got ready, while Geoff had some cereal for breakfast. I couldn't even eat, I was such an anxious mess. Hey, I thought this was supposed to be a vacation... Right when I was done blowing my hair and was about to pack my blow dryer and straightener, I got a call on my cell phone. I had told my mom and dad that I would call them from the airport, and no one else would call this early, so who could it be? I checked the Caller ID and saw that it was the car service company we were using. There it was, the dreaded call that we wouldn't even make it out to the airport, let alone down to Florida. Womp, womp.

I nervously answered, and was greeted with the disappointing news - there was another man in our neighborhood also going to JFK, so would it be alright if they picked us up a little earlier so we could share a car? Wait - what?! Of course! I breathed a sigh of relief, and took Geoff's advice to just calm down already. We're going to Disney World! A few minutes later we were sliding down our building's driveway to the waiting car, and loaded in our bags. The other guy was just a couple of blocks away, and despite a few slippery side streets our drive to JFK was very quick and painless (the highway had already been plowed). We were here! I was absolutely shocked by how packed the airport was, at only 6:00 in the morning. There were people everywhere, and the lines for security were huge. We've flown a lot in the past few years, and usually at more normal hours, and I'd never seen the airport like this. I don't know if it was because of past delays or what, but the place was a zoo.

ofwmsd1001_zpssx6fqvxa.jpg

For some reason JetBlue didn't let us check in online, so we waited a few minutes for a self-help kiosk to do just that. Score - out came Geoff's boarding pass and he was selected for TSA Pre-Check! Then out came my boarding pass annnnd - nothing. Boooo. So off Geoff went to the short, tiny, practically non-existent Pre-Check line, while I joined the masses to go through regular security. Thankfully it went fast, and we met up on the other side. I ran right up to one of the monitors displaying the current flight statuses, and ours was still on time. Woohoo! The first order of business was breakfast. We went to Dunkin donuts for some bagels and a donut to share, and made our way over to the gate. It was crowded, but we were able to get a seat facing the giant windows that overlooked the runway. The sunrise was absolutely beautiful! It was so cool getting to see planes take off against the orange and yellow glow of the rising sun, and was the perfect way to kick off our vacation.

ofwmsd1002_zpsvapovaow.jpg

ofwmsd1003_zpsqzioikp5.jpg

ofwmsd1004_zpsefnmzpqz.jpg

We had about an hour until take off, so we relaxed and took in the view until we were called for boarding. After all that stress and worrying, not only we were about to fly to Florida but we were taking off almost right on time! Maybe this will help me be less worried next time (but probably not). We were quickly in out seats - chairs in an upright position and trays locked - and were flying above the clouds by 8:15 for our 8:00 flight. I honestly don't remember much about the flight, which I guess is a good thing (meaning it was uneventful). I do know that we watched the two episodes of The Middle where The Heck's go to Disney and everything goes wrong, and then Geoff watched a movie while I listened to music. The time went by fast, and I really couldn't wait to touch down in Orlando.

We were on the ground by 11:00, and quickly off the plane. We were towards the back this time but didn't have any carry-ons, so as soon as the seat belt sign was turned off we ran to the front doors. Sorry, fellow airline passengers! We never have carry-ons and we always get stuck behind everyone trying to get theirs down. We were too excited to wait this time! Oh man, it was so good to be back. We'd just been in Orlando last April for a Spring Break trip to Cocoa Beach with Geoff's parents, which included a few days at Universal Studios to see the Harry Potter attractions, but to be going back to Disney was such a great feeling. We hopped onto the monorail (woohoo, first ride of the trip!), donned our Magic Bands, and came across a really nice TSA agent who offered to take a picture of us by the Earport (I honestly can't imagine any TSA agents at JFK offering to take a picture for anyone).

ofwmsd1006_zps1snle48i.jpg

ofwmsd1005_zpswbwqptrb.jpg

Can I just say how truly magical Magical Express is? This was our first time using it, and it was so unbelievably convenient to hop off the plane and not have to deal with any luggage. I love the convenience of having a car, but I honestly can't see not using Magical Express in the future, unless we're planning on venturing offsite. Well played Disney, well played. There was barely a line for Pop Century, and we were on a bus within 10-minutes. Our driver was hilarious! He promised us all a welcome surprise when we got to our resorts, and really hyped them up until we got to our first stop at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and he revealed that it was a squirt of hand sanitizer :lmao:Hey, I'll take it! He also played a few rounds of trivia with everyone, revealing that the fastest ride at Disney was actually Magical Express. That was kind of a buzzkill! :rotfl2:

ofwmsd1007_zpsprsh9adf.jpg

ofwmsd1009_zpsikl2c5o9.jpg

ofwmsd1008_zpswnvglb6b.jpg

After stopping at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Art of Animation, we were quickly dropped off at Pop Century. The whole trip took around 40-minutes, which really wasn't bad. Since we didn't have any bags we were able to head right inside, and the lobby was really cute! I'm sure you all know what it looks like, but I loved the collages on the walls themed after each decade (and was especially excited to see Rocky Horror featured in the 70s). There was no line to check in, and we had already done most of the work online anyway, so we gave the cast member at the desk my name, got our "Just Engaged" and "We're Celebrating" pins and were given some brief information about the resort. We were also told that we had been upgraded to a preferred room, due to the fact that we were celebrating our engagement :dancer: I think it may have had more to do with the fact that there were giant cheer-leading groups there all week who were probably all placed together in the back buildings, but we appreciated it regardless.

ofwmsd1011_zps43ynfxaw.jpg

ofwmsd1012_zpsf4ygqxue.jpg

ofwmsd1013_zpsq1lfb1f6.jpg

ofwmsd1016_zpsthzlwty4.jpg

ofwmsd1014_zpsyutxcvds.jpg

Our room was in the 70's building, which was no more than a two minute walk from Everything Pop. I loved the grounds, and how colorful and over-the-top everything was. It wasn't exactly romantic, but definitely a lot of fun (and perfect for families with young kids). Our room was on the second floor, and overlooked the giant fooseball table. The room itself was nicer than I expected. I'd heard that the Disney Value Resorts are really just glorified motels, but it was clean, bright and relatively spacious. We were very happy with it. Will we be staying at Pop Century on our honeymoon? No, but it's definitely an option for the future.

ofwmsd1019_zps7pwrsh9n.jpg

ofwmsd1020_zpsm5xq0dz2.jpg

ofwmsd1021_zpsosxz89dr.jpg

ofwmsd1022_zpsi0vfqgnk.jpg

ofwmsd1024_zps7wdpctsv.jpg

ofwmsd1023_zpsfwwb7xxs.jpg

ofwmsd1026_zpszlwwapwz.jpg

ofwmsd1027_zpsima1zto3.jpg

We spent some time looking around the room, relaxing and getting better acquainted with Stacy (we love you Stacy!) before heading out on our first adventure...

Coming Up Next: This Ship's Going Down!

Last edited:

All that stuff about the airport and arrival is great, and I'm glad you made it there with minimal delays, but ... Geoff dancing on the bus. That's really all I can say. He kinda steals the attention from the entire rest of the story.

I really enjoy all of your GIFs. Here at work, we have a web filter that blocks us from streaming media (like YouTube vids), but it doesn't block GIFs, so that makes it cool!

Love all the little videos. So sweet.

Thank you!

All that stuff about the airport and arrival is great, and I'm glad you made it there with minimal delays, but ... Geoff dancing on the bus. That's really all I can say. He kinda steals the attention from the entire rest of the story.

:lmao:Oh there will be plenty of dancing GIFS, I'll tell you that. I don't think we're ever not dancing, haha! :dancer:Thanks so much :goodvibes

I really enjoy all of your GIFs. Here at work, we have a web filter that blocks us from streaming media (like YouTube vids), but it doesn't block GIFs, so that makes it cool!

We took so many videos on this trip that I figured it would be a fun way to incorporate them. Thanks for reading!

Tuesday, February 3, 2015
Chapter 4: This Ship's Going Down!

After an hour or so of looking around the room, relaxing and watching the channel about the hotel, we headed out for our first adventure - Downtown Disney! As soon as we headed out we noticed just how awesome our Just Engaged buttons were - every single Cast Member we passed had a great, big "congratulations!" for us. Literally every single one. It was so magical, and made us feel so special! If you're celebrating anything on your Disney vacation, definitely be sure to pick up some buttons. They're pure gold.

It was a five-minute walk to the bus stop from the 70s building, and then there was only an, oh... 40 minute wait for a bus. That's right - FORTY! This was our first experience with the Disney bus system, and we were not happy campers. It could have been because there were seven of us on line to go to Downtown Disney, so I guess the supply fit the demand, but still. We watched a Magic Kingdom bus come and go... then Epcot... Hollywood Studios... Magic Kingdom again... Animal Kingdom... Hollywood Studios... Magic Kingdom... Epcot... Magical Express... Magic Kingdom... Animal Kingdom. It was ridiculous! We were really starting to regret our decision to not rent a car, but this was thankfully the only time we had any real issues with the buses. It was also thankfully our first day at Disney, so we were still energetic and pumped up enough to not be in a totally bad mood after such a long wait. Hey, we could've been waiting for an MTA train to take us to work... Once the bus finally showed up, it was a quick ride with plenty of seating.

ofwmsd1028_zpsn1wk1xkh.jpg

ofwmsd1030_zpsdpu5zsf4.jpg

ofwmsd1031_zpsnprkmapn.jpg

The bus left us off right at the entrance to the Marketplace, and I was sooooooooo excited to be there! Woohoo, our first Disney "attraction!" We didn't plan on doing much shopping today, since we'd much rather spend our money on trips and food and experiences, so we had decided in advance to do as little shopping as possible. Plus we didn't have much room in our suitcases to lug it all back to Brooklyn. So we just glanced around a few shops before realizing how hungry we were and making a beeline for Wolfgang Puck Express. The food sounded amazing, but we mainly decided to go here for the Oven Roasted Salmon entree. For $20 each. On a counter service credit! Hollaaaa!

ofwmsd1032_zpsgus7uzbf.jpg

We each got the Oven Roasted Salmon with Cauliflower Puree, Marinated Tomatoes and Broccolini, and wow - it was DELICIOUS! There really wasn't a bad part of the meal. The salmon was perfectly cooked, the cauliflower puree and broccolini were drizzled in lemon and oil and were so flavorful, and the simple marinated tomatoes were outstanding. Again, each entree cost $20 and was counted as a counter service credit on the dining plan. You can't beat that! Wolfgang Puck Express was our favorite counter service restaurant of the trip (by far) and is probably the best use of a counter service credit on property. Definitely check it out! We finished up by sharing two desserts - the vanilla bean cheesecake topped with raspberry compote, and a fruit cup (to balance out the cheesecake). The only thing we were confused about regarding Wolfgang Puck Express was that we ordered at the counter and then our food was brought to our table by a waitress. We weren't sure if we were supposed to leave a tip or not, so we did. Just make sure you have extra cash on hand to do so if you eat here on the dining plan.

ofwmsd1033_zpslajgigde.jpg

ofwmsd1034_zps0trbempi.jpg

ofwmsd1035_zpsccbrsow3.jpg

ofwmsd1037_zpsyedkym5a.jpg

ofwmsd1036_zpscjy6bfms.jpg

After lunch, we wandered around Downtown Disney some more, making our way from the Marketplace to the West Side. There was a ton of construction going on in order to convert the whole area into Disney Springs, so the ambiance wasn't as casual and relaxing as it usually is. It was still a nice stroll, with perfect 75-degree weather. After visiting in the dead of summer every year, I was starting to love Disney in February more and more! We took some pictures before stopping into The World of Disney to see if they had the bride and groom Mickey and Minnie ears, but to no avail.

ofwmsd1041_zps6tgylml6.jpg

ofwmsd1040_zpskwhpwtjw.jpg

ofwmsd1042_zpse3fwuhsg.jpg

ofwmsd1039_zpsj4ddqivf.jpg

You spend thousands of dollars to bring your kids to Disney, and you know their favorite ride is going to be the $3 carousel...

ofwmsd1038_zpsntak4jgj.jpg

Then we wandered over to our destination - DisneyQuest! In all the times I'd been to Disney I'd still yet to visit DisneyQuest. I was always deterred by the reviews of broken games and out-of-date technology, but our package had included free tickets and we surely couldn't let them go to waste ;) We were especially excited to check out DisneyQuest since it was something that we were both doing for the first time this trip, and could therefore really experience it together. We headed into the giant, dark building, and were greeted by a really beautiful mural on the ceiling, dedicated to Mary Poppins. Then it was into the elevators and up to the top floor.

ofwmsd1046_zpsm404lcol.jpg

ofwmsd1047_zps9plu5mru.jpg

We were instantly met by a giant statue of Wreck It Ralph (who we love), and therefore knew we would have a great time. The entire building was practically empty, with no more than a five minute wait for each attraction (and that was only when something was already in progress, and we just had to wait for the next ride). First up was Buzz Lightyear's Astroblaster, where you sit two-to-a-car in little caged-in vehicles. One person drives, while the other scoops up balls in the little road to then shoot at other cars. Hitting another car's target sends them spinning into oblivion, which meant that having OUR target hit also sent us spinning. It was so much fun! A lot harder to maneuver than we had thought, but we couldn't stop laughing every time out car spun out of control. We really liked this one.

ofwmsd1048_zpstm35raro.jpg

ofwmsd1049_zps8sa3uwde.jpg

Next we checked out the Wreck It Ralph video games. The only problem was that a lot of them were broken, leaving us both to take turns on one machine. No biggie though, especially since no one else was around so we could really take our time. Done with that, we got into the next round of Mighty Ducks Pinball Slam. A group of us all stood on our own little joystick-like platforms in front of a big screen, and had to move our bodies around in order to make our "puck" on the screen move into the goal. It was exhausting; my arms were killing by the end of the game! Plus the pucks weren't very responsive so Mighty Ducks was kind of a bust.

ofwmsd1051_zpsp7vlvtmy.jpg

ofwmsd1052_zpssgz2ixvp.jpg

We checked out a few more video games next, but again a lot of them were broken. Of the ones that worked, most of them weren't very responsive or just weren't that much fun. We tried the tiny roller coaster simulator, where you lay on a little reclined seat in front of a screen playing a video of a roller coaster, but all the seat did was vibrate and hurt our backs. Next. Cyber Space Mountain was right around the corner, so we headed over there. With the help of Bill Nye, you get to create your own roller coaster on a computer monitor before riding it in a nearby simulator. I love roller coasters but had never been on an upside-down simulator before, so I was super nervous. Turns out I don't like upside down simulators :crazy2: We only made it go upside down once, and I was still a dizzy mess when we got off. Never again!

ofwmsd1053_zpsok5odjbj.jpg

ofwmsd1054_zpsttmm8idg.jpg

ofwmsd1055_zpsdxsgb2mn.jpg

We took a break in the food court at that point, enjoying the peace and quiet from the otherwise constant noise and flashing lights in the rest of the building. We wanted to do something that didn't move next, just to play it safe, so we made our way to the Create Zone where we made our own toys on computer screens. Are you supposed to be able to have your toys made to take home? I could've sworn that you used to be able to design your own toy and then actually take it home, but that wasn't available today. I'm guessing it hasn't been available for a few years (if it ever was at all). Then we made our own dance song in a recording booth which was hysterical. Our little music-loving hearts danced for a good 20-minutes in there, all the while cracking up at the ridiculous lyrics we made up to each song. This was one of our favorite things we did that day!

We then wound our way around to the last floor, where we hopped on a "boat" for the Virtual Jungle Cruise. Geoff and I both sat in an inflatable raft on top of a giant inflatable pad (almost like a bounce house), while holding rafts and watching a screen in front of us display, well, a virtual jungle cruise. We were supposed to paddle our way through the river but I just couldn't figure it out. We were going nowhere, and kept banging into walls which would make the whole boat feel like it was bobbing in the water. The cast member running the attraction eventually came over, took the raft right out of my hand, and demonstrated how I was rowing in the wrong direction :rotfl: You can take the girl out of the city...

By then we'd been in DisneyQuest for about an-hour-and-a-half, and there was only one more attraction open - Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for Buccaneers Gold. This attraction also had the longest line of the day, at about 15-minutes. Eventually it was our turn, and we were let into a big, dark room surrounded by screens. It looked like we were at the helm of a ship, with little guns all around the deck. When the experience started, there were videos of pirate ships surrounding us in all directions, and we had to run around the boat in order to shoot our canons at them before they could hit us with theirs. IT WAS THE BEST! This was, by far, the best attraction in all of DisneyQuest. We thought we were doing really well too, until our ship eventually sunk into the fiery depths of the Caribbean. Hey - the attraction was meant for a group of 6, so I think we did pretty damn well manning the ship with only two people :thumbsup2

We were going to do this one again, but the line had gotten bigger by the time we were done and we didn't feel like waiting so we decided to make our way out. All in all, DisneyQuest was a fun experience, and a great way to kick off our trip. Would we go back? No. It's definitely not worth the price of admission, but considering we got in for free it was a fun way to spend a few hours. I'm also glad we got to experience it when we did, because current rumors have DisneyQuest closing any day now. It's not something to take away any time from the parks though. Too many of the games were broken and attractions were closed to make it worth it. It's definitely past it's prime.

Up Next: The Greatest Sing-Along of All Time

Last edited:
That salmon looks amazing! What an awesome use of a credit. It's so nice to see a couple just hanging out, enjoying the little things.

Hate to hear about your long wait for a DTD bus, but glad that you didn't have any other problems.

When my family went in 2013, we stayed at POR, so we just took the boat to DTD (several times) which was cool.

Following along! That salmon dish looks great from WPE. My husband would absolutely love that... we may have to stray from Earl of Sandwich to give it a shot. lol I'm glad to hear that I didn't miss out much on DisneyQuest. I've been going for years and never felt the need to fit it in, although the PotC game does sound like a "blast"! Haha. Can't wait for more!

That salmon looks amazing! What an awesome use of a credit. It's so nice to see a couple just hanging out, enjoying the little things.

Oh man, the salmon was the best. You definitely have to try it if you get a chance. Thanks so much! Disney makes it so easy to enjoy the little things :goodvibes

Hate to hear about your long wait for a DTD bus, but glad that you didn't have any other problems.

When my family went in 2013, we stayed at POR, so we just took the boat to DTD (several times) which was cool.

The boat to DTD is definitely a plus when staying at POR (it's also one of the most beautiful resorts at Disney, IMO).

Following along! That salmon dish looks great from WPE. My husband would absolutely love that... we may have to stray from Earl of Sandwich to give it a shot. lol I'm glad to hear that I didn't miss out much on DisneyQuest. I've been going for years and never felt the need to fit it in, although the PotC game does sound like a "blast"! Haha. Can't wait for more!

You do! If anything, it'll help with the Golden Spoon Challenge. I love finding other couples who visit Disney, since a lot of our couple friends think we're ridiculous for loving it so much without kids (they don't know what they're missing!) It looks like we'll be back at around the same time as you guys; I can't wait! Thanks for reading!

The boat to DTD is definitely a plus when staying at POR (it's also one of the most beautiful resorts at Disney, IMO).

I absolutely agree about POR being one of the most beautiful. When we booked our trip for this December, I was a little sad I couldn't swing staying there this year. However, we are staying at POP, and since then, I have seen so many TRs of people staying there that absolutely loved it. So, now I am looking forward to it more.

In my experience, DTD buses tend to have the longest wait. Probably because it's not as popular as the parks.

We've never done DisneyQuest, even with the free vouchers. It definitely looks and sounds like you had a lot of fun ... but from everything I've heard, I can definitely understand not wanting to go back. I guess it's one of those things that you do once and that's enough.

You do! If anything, it'll help with the Golden Spoon Challenge. I love finding other couples who visit Disney, since a lot of our couple friends think we're ridiculous for loving it so much without kids (they don't know what they're missing!) It looks like we'll be back at around the same time as you guys; I can't wait! Thanks for reading!

Basically most adults think we're crazy for always choosing WDW as our vacation destination! Pfft. People just don't even know how amazing it can be for adults only!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter