Beyond Big Thunder

Oh where to start. Well, Pocahontas in real life never had a romantic relationship with John Smith. In fact, she was very likely a child when he would've been there. She married a whole other Englishman named John Rolfe.

John Smith ended on bad terms with Pocahontas's tribe- her father the chief was trying to kill him when he left and never returned. Peace between the tribe and the settlers didn't return until she married Rolfe, which signaled the two parties were sort of connected.

Interestingly, Kokoum was very real but she was likely actually in love with him- he wasn't a major figure in the tribe, so the fact that they were together was out of love not standing. Kind of the opposite of the movie.

She was dead by age 21.
1. As someone else stated, Disney continues to use the character in marketing and character interactions far less than other characters, but I see a report from last year where she showed up at a breakfast.

2. The film is a totally fictionalized version of a person who did exist. There was not a mystical talking tree in the real Pocahontas’ life either. And we have seen plenty of fictionalized versions of historical characters such as on Bridgerton or the recent Anne Boleyn mini-series played by an actress of color. No one seemed to have problems with those despite them being historically inaccurate.

3. Song of the South was problematic in that it had elements in the film itself that were inherently racist. Pocahontas the film was done deliberately to avoid that since it came at a time when SOTS was already being criticized. Will someone still find it an issue? Of course. People complain about everything nowadays. I mean Snow White and Cinderella and all “Princess” films get criticized constantly for being sexist. You can’t make everyone happy.

4. If we were to cancel everything that was problematic in the slightest (as per the princess stories) then we would have to shut down or rename Disney altogether seeing as Walt Disney himself had a problematic history.

5. I see Pocahontas as a learning opportunity. She is the only Native American “princess” type character by Disney (that I’m aware of) and it would be great to flip Frontierland on its side and show the TRUE culture of the American frontier with the people who originally populated it. That’s why I suggested a recreated Powhatan village (which I think should be developed with input from members of the tribe) so that kids could learn about Native American culture. Disney to me has always been about a combination of fun and learning.

Now could Disney just decide to avoid the character altogether to not stoke potential controversy? Yes, it’s very well possible. But I think that’s too bad as it’s a missed opportunity to take a character who some consider problematic and turn it into a positive to help kids learn more about an important culture that is part of the fabric of our country.

I don’t think Dinoland is a question. I think it’s more are they also expanding to an additional land (which they really should to substantiate the park).

I would love anything Villians. Coco would be cool too.
Please do not mess with Big Thunder!
No! Zero impact on Big Thunder here- only mentioned because Disney has stated the specific geography of this new land will be behind it.

I don’t think Dinoland is a question. I think it’s more are they also expanding to an additional land (which they really should to substantiate the park).
Understood. But right now there's so little over there (it's basically a giant parking lot at this point with a lame ride) it will- if rethemed properly- be like there's MORE at AK, you know?

Oh I agree! I love that they’re retheming it.

I just think they need to retheme Dino to fix it and then add another land to really make AK punch.

Oh I agree! I love that they’re retheming it.

I just think they need to retheme Dino to fix it and then add another land to really make AK punch.
I think after the retheme, we will get an expansion to the world of pandora

It is the park that needs it the least. Hopefully they will do that AND more at the other parks too.

Completely disagree. If you are going to travel to Walt Disney World, the ONE park you are going to visit is the one with the castle.

It just makes sense to invest in it especially considering many of the attractions are closed, aging, outdated or just flat out have low capacity.

You could spend 1/3 of the $60 billion at Magic Kingdom alone on expansions and redos.

Monorails, Adventureland expansion, Tom Sawyer replacement, Beyond Big Thunder, half of Tomorrowland is decrepit or closed, original Fantasyland needs serious maintenance, Treehouse needs to go, etc.

If you are going to travel to Walt Disney World, the ONE park you are going to visit is the one with the castle.
Because it has twice the number of rides as the other parks.
It just makes sense to invest in it especially considering many of the attractions are closed, aging, outdated or just flat out have low capacity.
There’s only two closed attractions, Splash and Stitch. All the parks need more maintenance.

It seems like Disney rotates through the parks what they are doing/adding.

Early 2010s it was Magic Kingdom
Mid 2010s it was DHS and Animal Kingdom
Late 2010s it was Epcot

Now it’s been over a decade since New Fantasyland and it is time for MK to get some love.

I do agree with people they say they need to address the entering and exiting of the park. They need to go back to their ‘Market Street’ plans and permanently open the Main Street bypass.

I side with everyone that says they will be happy with pretty much anything as long as it’s original.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter