"BIG GIRLS"--Courage inspired by Tank Top thread

I love this thread. For the breast feeding mom, I did have some but I dont' remember the name. I will check with my friend who always remembers these kinds of things and get back to you to let you know.

Big day tomorrow--bra fitting and finding out the name of the breastfeeding bra. Oooh boy.

Hi Girls! :wave2:
I don't really qualify as I'm a regular 34 C. However my DD 21, is in a 30 DD, very hard to find smaller band sizes in DDs. She's had some luck with british companies...she worked via e-mail, with a fitter who specialized in full figured but small band size girls and it really has made a huge difference in her appearance. She tried the VS bras (they put her in a 36C) and of course they didn't fit, she hates plunking down $60+ for her bras but it sure helps. Everything is right where it should be...

Crankyshank -- I feel your pain. I too end up with the protruding center wire. In some shirts it looks like a mysterious third breast.

I also hate the additional breasts I end up with under my arms in certain bras. Like there is not enough bra to harness the power of the chest. :sad2:

im not as big as most of you, but i find wonderbra very supportive and definitely helps lift them up.

oh and bigi girls, push-up bras are great. You would think you don't need it at your size but what they do is put everything back in place. You can remove the push up part if you like.

MQuara said:
AH HAAA! Help to your rescue - I was a Bf-ing I cup! I got my nursing bras and currently get my regular bras from www.breakoutbras.com

Avoid the Medela bras - at least the non-underwire ones- they were very flimsy and had no support at all. The ones I got from the above site were great - in fact I wore them for months after my ds was weaned because they were so comfortable - DH liked them too - LMGDAO!!!!!

I am checking out that site today!!! Thanks! And ITA about the Medela bras...I foolishly purchased one, wore it for 2 hours, now it's in the bottom of my bra drawer and I refuse to touch it. Zero support! The Bravado nursing bras are great, but not much support.

disneymom3 said:
I love this thread. For the breast feeding mom, I did have some but I dont' remember the name. I will check with my friend who always remembers these kinds of things and get back to you to let you know.

Big day tomorrow--bra fitting and finding out the name of the breastfeeding bra. Oooh boy.

I look forward to that info! Thanks a bunch! I'll take all the help I can get...

YOU HAVE TO BUY THE RIGHT SIZE AND CAN'T BE CHEAP ABOUT IT!

I took my DD 12 to get her first, thank god there were fitters there to measure her, what I chose was wayyyyyyyy off :lmao: it was pure magic to get the right one, even for me I was like WOW! :cool1:

here is an article on the subject:

How does one find the perfect fitting bra? Obviously the instructions I was taught for measuring my breast size is outdated or incorrect. Can these bras be found in your local Wal-Mart & Target stores or does one have to go to a more upscale lingerie shop to get the perfect fit? Your expert advice will be appreciated.
It is estimated that more than 75% of American women wear the wrong size bra. Many women don't know how to find the right fit and even when they do, they forget that with age, motherhood and other hormonal changes your bra size may need changing as well. Here is what I have learned. I hope it helps!

To get the right fit:

Bring a tape measure around your back, stand up straight and measure just under your breast (top of ribcage) where the bottom of your bra band should lay.
If this number you measure is even, add 2 inches to it; if the number you measure is odd, add 3 inches to it. (So if your ribcage measurement is 31" you would add 3 inches to make your bra band measurement 34". If it is 32" you would add 2 inches to make your bra band measurement 34" and so on.) You have now determined your bra band measurement.
This is the most important measurement because the majority of your support must come from the band. If the band is too loose the support rests on your shoulders and that inevitably causes back and shoulder problems.
Now take the tape measure and measure around the apex of your breast (nipples). Subtract this number from your determined band measurement to determine your cup size. 1" difference is an A cup, 2" difference is a B cup, 3" difference is a C cup, 4" difference is a D cup, 5" difference is a DD cup and so on.
When trying bras on, (and you must try everything on, even if you know your bra size) you should fit to the first row of hook and eyes in the back. This way, there is more adjustment room for tightening when the bra stretches out a bit. The fit should not be too tight or too loose... you should be able to pull it out no more than a couple of inches when tugging at the back.
The straps should be tightened to allow 1-2 inches of space when tugging up on the strap.
When putting the bra on, bend over and pull all of the breast tissue from the underarm and underneath the breast to fill the cups completely.
Jiggle the wires into place if your bra has them. You want them to hug the body and cradle right under your breast.
Also, make sure:
The under wire ends at the side edge of your body. It should reach for your underarm.
The side of the cup hugs your body
Everything fits…not too tight and not too loose
There are no wrinkles in the cup or anywhere else
The back band doesn't ride up
The center band between the cups lays flat against your sternum

Ok, I just measured using miss missy's instructions, and came out with a very different measurement than I expected! The results gave me a smaller band size and a bigger cup size than I've been wearing. Actually, 2 cups sizes bigger than I've been wearing! This is a little hard for me to believe, but I'm going to go try on some new bras and see what happens.

Christine said:
Well, if you don't mind me sharing my "smaller" miseries:

My problem is that my ****s are not close together. Many bras won't fit and I get ****flesh hanging over the sides of my bra. Again, I'm not a big woman but I guess my ribcage and shoulders are broad and the girls are quite separated. It is impossible for me to create cleavage even though there's "enough" there to do so. The Maidenform and IPEX that I wear are "okay" but, really, the cups are a bit to close together for me.

Anyone else have this problem?
I seriously used to. It was all about fit for me. I had to go down a couple sizes in the band and up at least 2 in the cup to get that to go away. A lot of bras are made for women with their ****s close together. Mine aren't. Fortunatley since I am able ot wear a 34DD I can still get a rare few bras and VS. They really seem to be better at the whole not making a uni**** thing going on than most.

I liked Bali as well, but the ones they have that I am willing to wear only go up to a D cup. I was also very fond of Barely There... but once again they are only a D cup. They were one of the few supportive 34Ds I found when I was there way back a decade ago (when I was wearing the wrong size)

I hate grandma bras and when you are my size, you get stuck. It is nearly impossible to find bras in large cup sizes when you aren't a bigger band size.

Oh and I wasn't fond of Le Mystere bras. Same with Fredricks. They make larger sizes, but they were all itchy and fell apart quickly.

I am seriously considering getting different sizes and getting them taylored though. I just wish that people would start paying attention to those larger sizes and making bras that fit for everyone. Not all large chested women are in the 40s for the band size.
And not all teeny chested girls are in the 30s :(

According to the fit directions I'm buying the correct size. I think the band is a hair snug but to go up a size makes it too loose. What really bugs me is the teeny tiny sides. I have a roll under my arms of loose skin from the reduction and with most bras it hangs over the top of the sides and around to the back. I just want one that has more side coverage. And one who's straps stay up!!! I haven't seen that addressed here yet. How are you keeping those suckers up on your shoulders?? So here's my wish list:

A 38C or 36D (depending on bra) that is
Relatively seamless
Padded and molded
full coverage sides and back
straps that stay up!!!
doesn't cost an entire weeks salary

Tiggeroo said:
oh and bigi girls, push-up bras are great. You would think you don't need it at your size but what they do is put everything back in place. You can remove the push up part if you like.

I'm just afraid that if I get these things out of my armpits and hoist them up with a wonderbra that my bustline will begin right under my chin! Then how will I be able to tie my shoes??? :rotfl:

Squidrific said:
I'm just afraid that if I get these things out of my armpits and hoist them up with a wonderbra that my bustline will begin right under my chin! Then how will I be able to tie my shoes??? :rotfl:

:rotfl: you better get some slip-on shoes :rotfl:

snowwhitesmom said:
CathrynRose, I am the same way! I have bras that are 36C, 36D, 38C, and 38D - all depends on the style and brand - as far as jeans go - I have 10s, 12s, and even 14s[gulp!] - again - all depends on the style and brand. Makes it hard to order from a catalog, huh?

Oh man - you aint kidding!!

You should have seen - should have witnessed - the obscene amount of time and energy I spent ordering bathing suits!!! GOOD LORD! I spent 3 arms and 6 legs in back and forth shipping, too...

What a ridiculous thing for me to think I'd be able to just order one and be on my merry little way, too!

Many suits ordered and much money spent in shipping.... I ended up finding one, on Clearance at Old Navy.....for $6.99. :sad2:

Yeah - never the same size - ever! Sounds like we could be body twins though... perhaps we should swap clothes? ;)

LiteBrite said:
(raises hand)

I wish I could suggest a good bra for this problem, but I haven't really found one yet. Anybody else?

My tata's are *not* close together... Im telling you - try that Maidenform one I linked yesterday. It's fabulous.

I looked at Missy's(PP) info on measuring and again I have the same problem!!

It says measure around the apex (where your nipples are) Well my nipples are near my belly button pointing at my toes----How do you measure that?!

AND that is why my bras never fit right!

irishbosoxfan said:
I looked at Missy's(PP) info on measuring and again I have the same problem!!

It says measure around the apex (where your nipples are) Well my nipples are near my belly button pointing at my toes----How do you measure that?!

AND that is why my bras never fit right!

Isn't that where everybody's nippies are looking?? :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I was told to bend over so they are umm - hanging - and then measure. It's a two man job for us busty gals when your hanging booties are almost as long as your arms :lmao: :lmao:

I am back from my fitting and it was awesome. Haven't had that much physical contact with another woman since I was nursing and had two nurses in my hospital room trying to get DD to latch on, but I think we have a huge improvement.

She did the whole measuring thing and I actually was in the right size in most of my bras. I have a couple of Ds but most are DD and that is where I need to be. The one thing that I really learned about was putting the bra on and the positioning. She had me hook it in the front, twist it around the right way and lean over to "let gravity do its work" and then slide in one arm at a time. Lots of talk about nipples going on in there and I just prayed somebodies husband was not waiting outside the dressing room.

For that side pudge issue, she had me trying on Vanity Fair bras because she said they had better side coverage.

And she was a granny type lady so I didn't have to be uncomfortable!!

Oh and the nursing bras I liked were Bravado and they have a website, but I am not sure what it is.

You know THANK YOU for posting this. I've been a little uncomfortable for awhile as I'm now a 40DDD (that's right triple D...) and I really hate it! I want to go get custom measured as I hate the fact that the girls hang far too low. I feel like an ol' granny.

(okay, I AM a grandma and in fact may have my second grandchild TODAY...but that doesn't mean I want to LOOK like one...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter