• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Blue Bayou gumbo gone?

Blue Bayou hasn’t been the same since they got rid of the cookie boat.

That said we took our daughter there for her birthday this weekend and I really enjoyed my surf and turf. I’m usually more of a ribeye guy but the filet and lobster were really good.

Blue Bayou hasn’t been the same since they got rid of the cookie boat.

That said we took our daughter there for her birthday this weekend and I really enjoyed my surf and turf. I’m usually more of a ribeye guy but the filet and lobster were really good.
Loved the cookie boat!! But also the creme brulee trio and the dessert that came with a treasure chest made out of sugar that had...was it chocolate doubloons? Or maybe little cookies? in it. I saved that treasure chest and it's sitting in my freezer. No clue what I'll do with it but I can't bear to throw it out!

Edited because I forgot to say that that's REALLY good news about the surf and turf. That's my favorite BB meal, but the last time I had it, which was over a year ago, the lobster was slimy and disgusting.

Well, I won't miss their "gumbo" - interested to try the red beans and rice.

I ate at Blue Bayou today and had the red beans and rice “soup”... it’s really delicious, but it’s not really a soup. It’s too dense and too heavy to be a first course in my opinion. It would maybe make better sense as a smaller lunch entree.

I honestly can’t recommend Blue Bayou at today’s prices. Yes, the atmosphere is unique, but even factoring that in for a premium, the service and food quality in NO way justify the prices.

Example: a member of our party is sensitive to garlic... and the response about options without garlic was “There is garlic in every menu item. We can put in your order as a garlic allergy... but it will take longer for your food.” That’s not $40 entree service... and evidence items aren’t made fresh to order otherwise. (And you can tell.)

If Blue Bayou is truly priced this way due to location exclusivity, bar service should also be available now that alcohol is served in DL.

... a member of our party is sensitive to garlic... and the response about options without garlic was “There is garlic in every menu item. We can put in your order as a garlic allergy... but it will take longer for your food.” That’s not $40 entree service... and evidence items aren’t made fresh to order otherwise. (And you can tell.)...
Did you note this allergy in your reservation and mention it at check in, as well as with your server? It is helpful, both for you and for the kitchen, to give as much advance notice as you can when dealing with food allergies at TS locations. Did you ask for a chef to come speak with you about your food options? That was a possibility open to the member of your party with the allergy. If the kitchen knows in advance about the allergy, they can try to make some preparation. If necessary, they can make a dish customized just for the guest with the allergy, but, yes, it will take more time; and you have to be flexible about that. BB has always been very good about accommodating my allergies and sensitivities, but I always note my allergies on the reservation and ask to speak with a chef if necessary to see what work arounds can be done most easily with the menu offerings.

Food seems to be DL's achilles heel. It has been since I switched from WDW to DL back in '13. They have never had the level of TS that WDW. Sure, the QS is good, but they seem to always take away the good, unique items and add in another more-of-the-same. That gumbo was the best! If it's gone, and if it's not even offered with meals anymore, forget that place.

And I'm with a bunch of you on prices. I realize that park food will always be pricey. But don't take away food and jack up the price. Even though that's the Disney way. Cut fireworks and parades and PtN...but charge $5/more this year. You would think after a year of empty parks, the execs would hear the people talking. I went to Universal last year and it was awesome. If it were as big as its Orlando counterpart, I may never do DL again. Man, did this turn into a whine fest for me:charac2:. I guess I just got a little burnt on the high prices, huge crowds, and less offerings.

I ate at Blue Bayou today and had the red beans and rice “soup”... it’s really delicious, but it’s not really a soup. It’s too dense and too heavy to be a first course in my opinion. It would maybe make better sense as a smaller lunch entree.

I honestly can’t recommend Blue Bayou at today’s prices. Yes, the atmosphere is unique, but even factoring that in for a premium, the service and food quality in NO way justify the prices.

Example: a member of our party is sensitive to garlic... and the response about options without garlic was “There is garlic in every menu item. We can put in your order as a garlic allergy... but it will take longer for your food.” That’s not $40 entree service... and evidence items aren’t made fresh to order otherwise. (And you can tell.)

If Blue Bayou is truly priced this way due to location exclusivity, bar service should also be available now that alcohol is served in DL.
We've been told the BB meals are pre-prepped as much as possible and just cooked the final little bit before being served for quick turn around. I've had a few really good meals there in the past, I don't mind the pre-prep when done right. If you're traveling with allergies at TS always be ready for it to take an extra half hour for the allergy food since in some cases it has to be prepared from scratch, it's always been like that for the person in our party with allergies.

We ate at BB for the first time a few weeks ago and, honestly, it's not amazing for the price you pay. I had the Jambalaya (kinda spicy, tbh) and my husband had the salmon entree. The chocolate dessert cake was actually delicious and it was our favorite thing, lol.

It is funny that you said this because we just returned from 5 days at the DLR and we only get out there once every couple years at the most (we are from the Philly area). We are huge fans of POTC and it was always a tradition to eat at the Blue Bayou, but this was the first year that we decided that its just not worth it anymore. Sure, the prices were always expensive, but its just outrageous now!
Do not second guess your decision at all! I regret our decision to go there 2 weeks ago, it was for our daughters birthday. Absolutely quality is down, even more rushed, no starter, no more split plate fee, they just bring you a side plate to diy. Best part was the mickey cake we preordered, but you can do that at any sit down location. That cake is dream worthy!! Lol we have been there so many times in the last nearly 30 years, it doesnt break my heart we wont go again.

Did you note this allergy in your reservation and mention it at check in, as well as with your server?

No, because it’s a pretty mild sensitivity, tolerable in small amounts, not an allergy. My larger point is really that at $40 per entree absolutely anywhere else, modifications or substitutions to accommodate preferences are a non-issue which don’t require 30 minute delays in service.

I give huge praise to Disney in their ability to provide a safe place for allergies and dietary necessities, and we’ve been delighted by their accommodations for a diabetic member of our party at set-menu venues and events.

That said, at a certain echelon of pricing, there is a greater expectation for food quality, freshness, and catering to guest’s preferences. I think they’ve overpriced themselves here, and they’re delivering buffet food to tables, not delivering fine dining.

No, because it’s a pretty mild sensitivity, tolerable in small amounts, not an allergy. My larger point is really that at $40 per entree absolutely anywhere else, modifications or substitutions to accommodate preferences are a non-issue which don’t require 30 minute delays in service.

I give huge praise to Disney in their ability to provide a safe place for allergies and dietary necessities, and we’ve been delighted by their accommodations for a diabetic member of our party at set-menu venues and events.

That said, at a certain echelon of pricing, there is a greater expectation for food quality, freshness, and catering to guest’s preferences. I think they’ve overpriced themselves here, and they’re delivering buffet food to tables, not delivering fine dining.
I agree that BB isn't fine dining and never tell people that it is. It is the "nicest" TS restaurant in DL that is openly available to all guests (so Club 33 doesn't count here). But "nice" counts for atmosphere just as much as for service and food. And out of consideration for the kitchen, it is always helpful to let them know ahead of time what they'll be dealing with on any given day. So noting allergies, sensitivities, religious issues, etc. on your reservation can really help them out as they plan ahead for that day. No one here has ever said that BB is a bargain, and if you want "fine dining," there are other places to go outside DL (NR, for example). There is no excuse for poor service at any DLR dining location, but it really helps to communicate your needs as clearly as possible in advance whenever you can.
If you feel strongly that your experience at BB was unacceptable, send in a comment to Disney.

I agree that BB isn't fine dining and never tell people that it is. It is the "nicest" TS restaurant in DL that is openly available to all guests (so Club 33 doesn't count here). But "nice" counts for atmosphere just as much as for service and food. And out of consideration for the kitchen, it is always helpful to let them know ahead of time what they'll be dealing with on any given day. So noting allergies, sensitivities, religious issues, etc. on your reservation can really help them out as they plan ahead for that day. No one here has ever said that BB is a bargain, and if you want "fine dining," there are other places to go outside DL (NR, for example). There is no excuse for poor service at any DLR dining location, but it really helps to communicate your needs as clearly as possible in advance whenever you can.
If you feel strongly that your experience at BB was unacceptable, send in a comment to Disney.

This weekend, in addition to the Blue Bayou, we dined at the Chefs Counter at Napa Rose, Carthay Circle, Lamplight Lounge, Carnation Cafe, Craftsman Grill, Catal, and did the World of Color Dessert Party.

The Blue Bayou was the only experience that was even remotely a disappointment based on overall value and menu, and I do plan on providing that feedback to Disney.

I’d love to see them succeed here... because I like to see my shares of stock increase in value ;)

When did they pull the Tuna sandwich from CHH at the MK? I had one there last month?
Edit: Yep it’s gone. Yet ANOTHER WDW restaurant added to the “Skip” list. A rather growing and disturbing trend.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter