Book it. Buy it. BELIEVE it! - TR is started! link posted 8/11

party::bday:party: Happy Birthday!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, please! I love hearing and seeing about places all over the country I've never been. Yep...I've never been anywhere on the west coast.

Well you need to fix that! The west coast part that is.

That sounds like fun. I'm hoping we join a local pool club this summer, but we'll see.
I've looked at the pool club thing but the reality is, with working, and our cool weather and the fact neither kid shows an inclination for swim team...it would be way too much $$ for how much we'd use it so instead we live at the lake and just love love love it!

Well...we'll see. April and October are going to be pretty cheap, so if I can get cheaper plane tickets, we'll probably go for it. As Mark says, you've already decided in your brain that we're going so... Yeah, we're probably going.

When in July?

party: HAPPY BIRTHDAY party:

I am enjoying the suspense of your PTR. I enjoy watching you build your house of cards.

Looks like some birthday nanas are in order!!

:banana::banana::banana::cool1::cool1::yay::yay:

Hurray for a PTR-can;t wait to see where the cards fall-gently of course!!

Too many options I guess, just contemplating all the possibilites can be intoxicating, and a hobby in it's own right. You have been busy with lots of changes that's for sure! I swore I'd never do 3 resorts in a trip again but I love your plans right now, it might make me change my mind! LOL. Although technically you are 2 resorts right, just different rooms. I like your changes by the way, with the ages of the nephews as fabulous as staying on property is at IOA, I can see where the points make more sense. I will say though Universal doesn't release it's packages until much later so I'd still keep an eye out as you might find a great deal and the actual dates make a huge difference (after 8/15 or 8/21 they went down substantially when we went). Of course if your heart is set on Portofino or no...that will still be very pricey.

Well you know I'd do the parks in a heartbeat, as would the E's. Jeff however is on the 2-3 year plan with the parks and with a big trip on the table for 2013 and feeling with the cruise alone I'm getting my "Disney" (not that he wants to cruise with anyone else mind you, it's Disney or nothing for him on that) ...wasn't interested and really didn't think K would be (though he didn't actually ask her lol). To him, we were there in 2009, 2010 twice (DCA trip) and then DCL 2011/2012 so parks in 2013 felt soon enough in his mind. He was of course aware that Vero is Disney so counts that against his tally as well. :rotfl: Thankfully I have my girls trip in the fall so I don't have to stress about not going and the E's are so infatuated with cruising (and know 2013 is probably on the books) that it might be ok not to go. We will see!

Disney trip planning has become my hobby. :rotfl::rotfl:

I'm going to take your advice about Universal and keep checking prices. We're actually at 3 resorts: 3 nights BCV, 3 nights AKV, and 7 nights BLT. I know packing and moving will drive me nuts, but it will be 3 totally different experiences.

I'm surprised that your boys are ok with skipping the parks. But they're at that age that hanging by a pool and meeting girls is probably more interesting. And knowing a trip is on the horizon definitely helps.

Vero looks amazing. I love that it's Disney but not Disney parks. Seems like such a relaxing post or pre-cruise vacation.

Did you find the DCL staterooms roomy? What about the bathrooms?

Disney trip planning has become my hobby. :rotfl::rotfl:

Become? It's been mine for a while :rotfl: There are definitely worse things!

I'm going to take your advice about Universal and keep checking prices. We're actually at 3 resorts: 3 nights BCV, 3 nights AKV, and 7 nights BLT. I know packing and moving will drive me nuts, but it will be 3 totally different experiences.

As much as I didn't like moving 3 times, all 3 resorts were so very different it was nice to see/try them all and we did like all of them...for different reasons. With 3 nights though it can be hard to experience as much of any resort as you'd like, that and the moving was the bummer. We ended up with a stay more save more rate at hard rock that was 20% off of rack rates and then with the all access pass, got a free upgrade at check in. :thumbsup2 Portofino IS lovely though but I think next time, we'll probably try RPH as it seems a better fit for the kids and is a better value. It's still as nice as any deluxe at WDW I think.

I'm surprised that your boys are ok with skipping the parks. But they're at that age that hanging by a pool and meeting girls is probably more interesting. And knowing a trip is on the horizon definitely helps.

Well, ok remains to be seen. They have been pushing hard for 2 trips, another cruise and a WDW trip with their cousins. Both can't happen in the same year. I think because cruising is newer, that's a bit "hotter" but they are dying to go back to the parks...including IOA. We shall see how it all plays out. Eric is too young for girls but Evan? That's a whole different kettle of fish. 7th grade has hit that one hard....or at least a certain flute player has :rotfl:

Vero looks amazing. I love that it's Disney but not Disney parks. Seems like such a relaxing post or pre-cruise vacation.

Did you find the DCL staterooms roomy? What about the bathrooms?

Vero does look perfect doesn't it! I've been on 3 cruises in my life and certainly the DCL one was far roomier than the other 2 but we were in such a different stateroom class, it's hard to compare!

The stateroom we had on the Wonder was about the same size as a room at any of the values. The difference is that instead of a 2nd bed taking up all that space, it's a couch that turns into a daybed, plus an upper bunk that pulls down..plus a verandah and of course you have the split bath. Plus there is a privacy curtain between the main bed and the other daybed/bunk So with all that, definitely big enough! The non verandah categories are smaller and depending on how many people...I think I'd want 2 rooms! We will see how squished we end up feeling. The family verandah room on the Dream is 50 sf bigger, basically to accommodate the sleep chair I think...not sure if that will be noticeable or not, but the big improvement is the bed is raised, meaning suitcases can go underneath which will be wonderful. 2 connecting verandah rooms would be better but not in the cards for sure.

Oh I don't know...planning for HAWAII maybe?

:goodvibes

:welcome: Tammie!

:rotfl:

not at all, just getting started!

That is so funny! We will be in Lincoln City for one night, you must have ESP.

Oh I love Lincoln City! You have to go to the wine bar for a tasting! No ESP, I think I read the phrase "Washington and Oregon Coast" just as I was falling asleep! :3dglasses:lmao:

Funny for me, but I haven't done much planning. I do have a bucket list, and I'm going to call my friend who's flying out with me. Each of our hubbies is being assigned a car, so we will probably be sharing some rides, etc.

Which Island did you visit again? I don't think it was Oahu? Maybe I should start a PTR and ask for suggestions.

Oh I love Lincoln City! You have to go to the wine bar for a tasting! No ESP, I think I read the phrase "Washington and Oregon Coast" just as I was falling asleep! :3dglasses:lmao:

What wine bar? I haven't been there since I was a kid (remember the Sambo's there?) but have wonderful memories. I did see McMenammins has a brewpub so we were thinking of eating dinner there but would love suggestions! We will be driving over from McMinnville so probably won't get there before 3 or so since that will be our museum morning.

Funny for me, but I haven't done much planning. I do have a bucket list, and I'm going to call my friend who's flying out with me. Each of our hubbies is being assigned a car, so we will probably be sharing some rides, etc.

Which Island did you visit again? I don't think it was Oahu? Maybe I should start a PTR and ask for suggestions.

I've been to the Big Island, Oahu and Maui. I've spent the least amount of time on Oahu though, even though I have a huge amount of family that lives there. I'm hoping we can go there in 2014 with the E's, I don't see it happening before then. What's on your bucket list?

Happy Birthday Cynthia!! :cake:

Thanks Magdalene!

Joining I this crazy brain game of finding the perfect Disney trip ;)

I like the way you think :thumbsup2 I am very similar with trying to figure out when, where, who...seems overwhelming but I'm sure you have got it down to a science.

I hear you on the room challenges of fitting a family bigger than 4 into, big reason why our fam of 6 bought into DVC

Enjoying reading along :goodvibes

And happy birthday!

J

Oh, I am behind as alway! :bday: Hope you had a great day! February birthdays are the best! ;)

Oh my, I don't know how you deal with Kendall's mom. You must have a lot of patience!

Oh, I can't wait to hear all about your Disney Dream planning. We are going Thanksgiving week and this is such unchartered territory for me. I need to get busy figuring everything out.

Can't wait to see where you stay at the beach.

Joining I this crazy brain game of finding the perfect Disney trip ;)

:welcome: Julie!

I think everyone just wants slushie credits!

:rotfl:

I like the way you think :thumbsup2 I am very similar with trying to figure out when, where, who...seems overwhelming but I'm sure you have got it down to a science.
Not so sure about that but it is fun trying!

I hear you on the room challenges of fitting a family bigger than 4 into, big reason why our fam of 6 bought into DVC

Enjoying reading along :goodvibes

And happy birthday!

J

It's funny, it's almost weird for us to be in a hotel room, versus a rented condo anymore. And while I love some of the hotel room benefits...I do miss the laundry in the room, kitchen and that full coffee pot! Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Oh, I am behind as alway! :bday: Hope you had a great day! February birthdays are the best! ;)

Thanks Erika!

Oh my, I don't know how you deal with Kendall's mom. You must have a lot of patience!

Not particularly! :rotfl: However. I was a stepchild myself as was Jeff. We had GREAT experiences and really model a lot of things on how our own parents handled it. My stepmom IS my mom. In my heart. Over the years I've learned a few key things that really help me.

1. It's Jeff's battle, not mine.
2. My being upset (on his behalf) about his rights being taken away only makes him more upset and doesn't help a darn thing.
3. I have to respect that he chooses to pick his battles and they aren't always the ones I'd pick.
4. At the end of the day, though we are vastly different people, she is a good mom and would walk through fire for her kids. We do things differently, and I don't always agree with her choices but I do believe she honestly thinks she has the kids best interests at heart at all times.

It can be very hard when it's blatantly obvious that she doesn't really believe spending time with their dad is in their best interest and I can't really say if that's about what she believes for her kids or her way of punishing Jeff. Ultimately though, kids are smart and they figure it out. I know I did as a step child, and my biological mother was a total nightmare to my stepmom. We've seen the evolution with Taylor. Once he was old enough to drive, and had a car, and was in running start...he was at our house at least 50% of the time, most school nights, very often when it wasn't officially "our" time. While shared custody is theoretically 50/50 the way a standard calendar breaks it out it really comes down to something more like 33%.

So when you lose a day, or half a day even...it hurts.

Oh, I can't wait to hear all about your Disney Dream planning. We are going Thanksgiving week and this is such unchartered territory for me. I need to get busy figuring everything out.

Can't wait to see where you stay at the beach.

Thanksgiving, that will be very very fun! You have some neat trips coming up.

I'm so happy that you posted your trip report link over on the Disney Mom's Facebook page. Now I'm going to go back and read all the juicy details.

Okay, I've gone back and am all caught up. Whew! I'm tired just reading about all your what date should we book, who is going to get to go, where are we going to stay, etc. I remember back when our daughter was in high school and had so many youth group and school activities. It was hard trying to plan a trip around everything she had going on.

I'm so happy that you posted your trip report link over on the Disney Mom's Facebook page. Now I'm going to go back and read all the juicy details.

Hi Lisa, :welcome:!

I read most of your where's my tooth report but got REALLY far behind at one point and...:confused3

I need to get in on your next one early on this time, I know you are very far into one now but I'll try to pop over, your gang is a hoot!

Okay, I've gone back and am all caught up. Whew! I'm tired just reading about all your what date should we book, who is going to get to go, where are we going to stay, etc. I remember back when our daughter was in high school and had so many youth group and school activities. It was hard trying to plan a trip around everything she had going on.

It can be very hard, worth it when we pull it off but frustrating at other times when no matter what we do, we can't seem to make it work.

I didn't wish you a Happy Birthday here, but I did on FB...hope that counts. :)

It must be so difficult planning with obstacles in the way, uncooperative parent, etc. I hope you come up with something that works for everyone. Vero looks lovely.

We love the Gulf Coast and why we go to Naples/Marco Island twice a year.

I didn't wish you a Happy Birthday here, but I did on FB...hope that counts. :)

of course that counts! thank you for the birthday wishes!!!

It must be so difficult planning with obstacles in the way, uncooperative parent, etc. I hope you come up with something that works for everyone. Vero looks lovely.

I'm not really sure uncooperative is the right word but she definitely doesn't facilitate things lol! In the big picture of life it really isn't that bad and could be SOOO much worse. At the end of the day, Kendall is surrounded by good caring parents who only want the best for her, I'm not sure you could ask for more than that.

Probably the hardest part for me is when she complains about Jeff, as if he's a horrible dad, which is almost always money related. As a parent who has had to watch her children's father absolutely abandon them it kills me to watch her fight back on stuff as she really has no idea just how good her situation is.

We love the Gulf Coast and why we go to Naples/Marco Island twice a year.

I love the gulf coast too! I've only been to clearwater/indian rocks beach but just loved it. From WDW it's very doable but from Cape Canaveral was more driving than Jeff wanted. I think for me, one of the HUGE attractions of Vero is that I'm fairly confident there will be kids the same ages as the whole gang. Getting a beach condo elsewhere doesn't offer that same feeling of sureness. Not to say just a family vacation on the beach wouldn't be lovely but at 16 (heck at 13, Evan will be just as bad), all I wanted to do was be with friends and I'd love to at least try to provide an environment where there might be kids to hang with at the pool or the beach. Nothing is for sure though, I definitely know that! They may not meet anyone on the ship either, you just never know. At some point, they have to make it happen.

What wine bar? I haven't been there since I was a kid (remember the Sambo's there?) but have wonderful memories. I did see McMenammins has a brewpub so we were thinking of eating dinner there but would love suggestions! We will be driving over from McMinnville so probably won't get there before 3 or so since that will be our museum morning.

I've been to the Big Island, Oahu and Maui. I've spent the least amount of time on Oahu though, even though I have a huge amount of family that lives there. I'm hoping we can go there in 2014 with the E's, I don't see it happening before then. What's on your bucket list?

Thanks Magdalene!

I love McMennamins - I think you will too! I haven't been to this one, but several others all over Oregon. They are noted for taking over an old historical building and rennovating it without losing it's original feel, and for their great micro brews, and great food!

I have a question out to my friend who goes there alot for the wine bar. I'll keep you posted. It is sometimes hard to find good hotels at the coast - not sure where you are staying???? We had a wonderful VRBO but it was huge!

Hmmm, my :cloud9: Bucket list is prob a little touristy:

1. Pearl Harbor of course
2. Snorkel at Hanauma Bay
3. Hike (mild, mind you ;)) to a waterfall for a picnic
4. Eat lots of pineapple - maybe visit the Dole place cuz you can buy Dole Whip mix
5. Sunset Dinner Cruise
6. Attend a Luau
7. Check out Aulani - I guess they have a free "luau type show" on Wed.:confused3
8. Shope at the big flea market or whatever that is???
9. Visit some historical places or a museum (pre-dating PH)

Oh look! I need more days! Too bad I went back to work, or I could have them!:rotfl2:
I know we can book these things on base at cheaper rates than the public, but can't find the info online. If you have any suggestions for the best or "don't bother" It might help me - I am sure there are lots of choices available. Jim only has 2 for sure days off during this time, but he will have a car, and his time is a little "casual" so we can probably sneak away for a couple of half days.

I will let you know what else I can find out about Lincoln city. If you have any other Oregon Coast plans, let me know - Help you I can :yoda:

I love McMennamins - I think you will too! I haven't been to this one, but several others all over Oregon. They are noted for taking over an old historical building and rennovating it without losing it's original feel, and for their great micro brews, and great food!

I have been to one in the Beaverton area (might actually be in Beaverton) but it was basically in a strip mall. :rotfl: It was good pub food though. :thumbsup2

I have a question out to my friend who goes there alot for the wine bar. I'll keep you posted. It is sometimes hard to find good hotels at the coast - not sure where you are staying???? We had a wonderful VRBO but it was huge!

Sounds good. Sometimes places like a wine bar aren't great for the kids but it varies. We are at some place Jeff found but it supposedly has great reviews. When I was a kid, we stayed at the Sand Piper and I dreamed of the Inn at Spanish Head. I have to just look at the Inn as an adult to see if it really is still impressive..at all. If we were there for any length of time we'd do VBRO and I'm sure will, one summer. Then again I always say that and we end up elsewhere!

Hmmm, my :cloud9: Bucket list is prob a little touristy:

1. Pearl Harbor of course
2. Snorkel at Hanauma Bay
3. Hike (mild, mind you ;)) to a waterfall for a picnic
4. Eat lots of pineapple - maybe visit the Dole place cuz you can buy Dole Whip mix
5. Sunset Dinner Cruise
6. Attend a Luau
7. Check out Aulani - I guess they have a free "luau type show" on Wed.:confused3
8. Shope at the big flea market or whatever that is???
9. Visit some historical places or a museum (pre-dating PH)

Nothing wrong with touristy! We tend to get an "off the beaten path" guide for a lot of the places we travel to, to try to see both the touristy, and non touristy things. We had a GREAT book for the Big Island, I'll see if I can find it as I know they make them for all of the islands, it was a great dining and touring resource.

I will let you know what else I can find out about Lincoln city. If you have any other Oregon Coast plans, let me know - Help you I can :yoda:

That's our only coast day, we will do one night in McMinnville for the museum, and then one up in Ocean Shores. Fast and furious planes, waterslide and ocean...Oh and of COURSE a tour at Tillamook. Though I need to see if their website is working, wasn't last time I checked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter