Bought in the 1990s and it has worked out perfectly

We bought in 1999 BWV for $65/point. We bought more BMV points in 2001 for $68/point I think. Best think we ever did. We could not afford a $4000/5000/ week in BWV every year now. I look at it as a "free" vacation that you use every year or 2 times/year like we do. Or, go on a cruise.
It is fun to look at your "bank of points" for the year, and say to DW where do you want to go this year? We have points to use. Instead of
looking at our "bank account" and go, we need to save $4000/5000 in order to go somewhere. BIG Difference!! And, add to the fact that if you can't
go anywhere one year, you have NO problem renting the points out to people. I have people at work who always ask, do you have any points to rent
out? We are willing to pay to rent points. I could rent out ALL my points probably every year!! BUT, we go twice a year, so we have none to rent!!

We purchased 210 points direct from Disney in 2009. We purchased those 10 extra points when I realized that it wouldn't cost us much more and possibly get an extra night in a value studio.....ummmm, doesn't work like that any more. We recently paid it off a few months early...yep took out the 10 year loan at 10.75%. But we have used every single point. I have stressed over those points and struggled with dates and decisions and if I could do three trips on a set on APs. I read threads like this to know I am not alone. We paid $93 a point and I remember getting a small discount for the amount we purchased and also giving them the name of a DVC member I knew. The DVC member was given a $200 gift card.

Our trips have been fun, relaxing and now like going to that favorite place each year--where you know where everything is and even the bellmen seem the same. Sure it would have been great to save some money with resale...but we didn't know and certainly do not look back with any regret. I agree that at times things are not changed as much as I would like, and yes they should clean the bathrooms a little more often in the parks...and then I think how unaffordable WDW is for some families and realize I am just lucky. It was a chance we took on a whim and even purchased at a resort we had never seen. But it was a great decision and we still look forward to our trips. DH is now retired and I still work full time...life moves forward and we get to spend a couple of weeks a year at a beautiful resort with African décor and animals--in a premier vacation destination....yep, it is a first world life and it is good. I am happy.

Hey there sorry to intrude but my hsband and I are considering purchasing DVC in the next 3 or 4 years and I have some questions for long time owners/members. First of all, has the number of points required and the dues increased significantly in the last say 20 years? Today for example, a studio would cost me on average, anywhere from 10-15 points per night for low seasons. Is that comparable to the amount of points required in 1998?
The points can vary season to season based on what is considered prime time as holidays and school breaks vary year to year but the points for a week stay should remain close to the same if you stay in the same season, adventure choice magic premier for example. some resorts have changed pts values for location and view but they increase pts on the good views and locations and decrease pts for less desirable locations within the resort so it evens out. Depending on your age and financial position it may be better for you to buy resale but who knows if member perks will change going forward, I bought direct at ssr in 2006and have never regretted it, I bought 200 points, we usually stay in a studio which is always more than enough points for a week in any season. I usually do 3 weeks every 2 years in a studio i bank or borrow pts if need be. there have been times i banked 2 years of points to stay in a 2 br but i would not purchase planning on bringing people with you. Purchase what you need for yourself and if you need to bring family sometimes you can get them a dvc discount on another room or an annual passholder discount for another room or bank or borrow points on your contract and bring them. or they can stay at a value and meet up with you at parks, for dinner and at the water parks. I would say buy and you will not regret it, as long as you are not looking to go during peak time periods it is usually not too difficult to switch resorts, but do not count on it, buy where you dont mind staying, all of the resorts are beautiful and have positives and negatives but the positives outweigh the negatives anywhere at disney, part of the fun is not knowing where you will go the next year and being surprised at the end and trying new pools and restaurants and just enjoying the magic that disney has to offer . every time you go you appreciate the theming more and more.
I love Disney and i am 57 yrs old and have been going to Disney since is was 10 years old in 1971. that was the first year it opened, I have wonderful memories of staying at fort wilderness with my sister and my parents in our trailer and dreaming of one day staying at a fancy resort. Well now that dream has come true. I love every moment of my disney vacations , i have stayed and swam in practically every pool at every resort. Ive stayed at bcv pvb ssr akv kidani akv jambo wilderness lodge now knows as ccv,i pool hopped to grand floridian and bwv i stayed at dixie landings and port orleans french quarter and coronado springs before we purchased dvc and on that trip to csr we made the decision to buy dvc, I have never stayed at the value resorts or contemporary or carribean beach but plan on going there to see it and riviera resort when it is finished. my resort expires in 2054 ssr but by then i will be 93 so i'm sure i will not be able to walk for miles and go at that point but my daughter will hopefully have taken trips with her future grandchildren by then and i hope they love it like it do. i have great memories of discovery island in bay lake, river country and waterskiing and swimming in the lake , i guess they were not worried about alligators then, also renting boats and surrey bikes, and horseback riding at fort wilderness. many fond memories of the luau and hoop de do review and the main st electrical light parade which along with discovery island is gone. i'm sure if you buy you will not regret it , my contract now is still worth the 98 dollars a pt i paid in 2006so ive had luxurious vacations for the cost of my dues now 1064 a year for approximately 10 days in a studio per year, value 3000 -3500 dollars approximately if i paid cash . i think its a no brainer

Last edited:
Bought a DVC resale in 2001 for I think $52 per point, with banked points. Bought into BCV as soon as it was released and got a deal at $65 per point. Added another contract after a cruise, got up to 600 points and still borrowed every year! We have slowed down our visits significantly as our daughter became an adult, we got older, and the crowds got bigger. But still have 500 points. Daughter and I are thinking of going in November this year, haven't been since 2012 though she has used points at VGC. Will probably sell the OKW points next year to help pay for a kitchen remodel but still want to hang on to BCV! Maybe she will be able to take it over.

Instead if you took the same $12,750 and invested in Disney stock (assuming dividends are re-invested), you would have over $190,000 today

That would pay for some really nice vacations

I have a few stocks of Disney. that say - then Disney was up and down in the stock market - it was not consider a good investment. It was just an entertainment company. Time changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter