Boycotting Florida but not WDW, a moral conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Just wow.

I think I'll listen to the actual locals and not assume I know better what they can or cannot afford without tourism.
Yea, I’m a Floridian. I don’t pretend to know the inner workings of the state budget, but I will say there is no, ABSOLUTELY ZERO animosity or any issues with gay folks. Nobody cares. No different than any other state, and I live in a conservative area.
Nobody, but nobody cares. The whole thing is made up.

Same. We live about 45 minutes from the parks. We don't have a big choice in spending money here or paying taxes or whatever else. We vote for the candidates which will forward what we want.

That being said, we're well aware there were people who did not attend our wedding in May because we had it in Florida. Kind of a double-edged sword for us.
It's sad your friends couldn't make it to your wedding with the climate in Florida the way it is right now.

I am a Florida native and still reside here so I vote with my checkbook. Disney and Universal provide a safe and inclusive family experience so they get our family vacation dollars. Those that don't commit themselves to the safety and comfort of all guests don't get a cent.

I guess as a Floridian I am accustomed to the nuttiness here but there are states I have zero interest traveling to because of the climate so I get it.

No it means I don’t like having my stuff stolen…..

lot closer to home….

and I have never said not to boycott just pointing out all the working people it will hurt….

since all the working people left the west coast for florida anyway…. Who’s left to
I'm sure you do

Anyone that is ok with grown men with beards greeting little girls who want to be princesses has bigger issues. I am sure Floridians will be thrilled you spend all your money in a state California that thinks it’s ok to take children from their parents and make life changing decisions for them. I thought DIS was not supposed to be political. I guess I was wrong it is filled with progressive politics.
You're the one who's making it political. Your little girls never went to a regular spa with grown men styling their hair? I don't care who's doing our hair or makeup, as long as they're good.

While it's more thrilling to believe that people are leaving CA due to the political "wokeness", in reality it's just the high cost of living that drives people to cheaper states like the ones you mentioned.
see it is true perceptions become reality
wonder what Texas and Florida have in common that make them "cheaper"? Any input, I can't seem to think of anything?

see it is true perceptions become reality
wonder what Texas and Florida have in common that make them "cheaper"? Any input, I can't seem to think of anything?
They're just cheaper places to live. I don't know what else you're trying to get at.

I booked the bubble, but I am still conflicted about it.

I read the book "How to Be Perfect" by Michael Shur when it first came out. It really dives in to navigating things like this, including "big picture" consequences.

I think I'll re-read it and maybe I'll feel better about my choices. He didn't have the answer, of course no one does, but it is a good read and philosophical examination of choices and consumer impact on social issues.

Wow. Just wow.

I think I'll listen to the actual locals and not assume I know better what they can or cannot afford without tourism.
Why? "Locals" are just people. They're not economists. Most people have no idea how any of this works.

I read the book "How to Be Perfect" by Michael Shur when it first came out. It really dives in to navigating things like this, including "big picture" consequences.

I think I'll re-read it and maybe I'll feel better about my choices. He didn't have the answer, of course no one does, but it is a good read and philosophical examination of choices and consumer impact on social issues.
That's the highest bar anyone can aspire to. To be the best human possible. No one is perfect.

Good for you. We recently sent some friends on a trip with our DVC points. They are a LGBTQ couple, and when I asked if they were worried, they said they'd never give up something they love for people who want hate to rule. 🌈💚

Good for you. We recently sent some friends on a trip with our DVC points. They are a LGBTQ couple, and when I asked if they were worried, they said they'd never give up something they love for people who want hate to rule. 🌈💚
Sorry, but hate already rules both sides of most these arguments.
Hating people who hate is still hate just as judging people who judge is still judging. See, I did it right there.

I get it, I really do. I never want to travel where I'm not wanted by the locals.
I definitely wouldn’t apply this to Hawaii. Hawaii has an economy that’s driven by tourist dollars. It’s been that way since I moved there in the ‘70s.

Although some locals don’t want visitors, the vast majority understand it’s a core part of living there, and are welcoming and appreciative of visitors.

What most locals really hate, is West Coasters buying vacation homes, driving up the property values, and not contributing to the economy 90% of the time. It was bad enough when the Japanese were doing that. 🙄

A great way to have a great vacation, AND support/enjoy Disney is to book a vacation to Hawaii, and stay at Aulani!

While it's more thrilling to believe that people are leaving CA due to the political "wokeness", in reality it's just the high cost of living that drives people to cheaper states like the ones you mentioned.
West Coaster here, and I can say with 100% certainty that many of the political decisions are in fact driving people out of the states. I know many people who have moved, and one of the ongoing discussions for those of us still here is how some of the decisions are negatively impacting our lives.

This is not to say that this is THE driver, or that you’re incorrect that economics isn’t a major factor as well. But there are many things that have gone well beyond the “6 of one…” point, and far into “I can’t believe they’ve let this happen…” reality.

We’re constantly afraid for some of our relatives living in CA, and in WA, we (and many others) won’t make our normal trips into Seattle or Portland because of first hand (or second hand) experiences.

The poster who had his backpack stolen, and no police availability for doing anything about it - it’s a very common occurrence, and is sadly a very different state than any time in memory.

Not at all getting political about this, and not choosing sides, but every decision and policy has repercussions. Many of the current policies were not fully analyzed and we’re now living with the consequences.

The pendulum will swing back at some point.

I get it, I really do. I never want to travel where I'm not wanted by the locals.
Any touristy place is like this. I’m hesitant to go back to my favorite Florida beach after our last trip. A huge group of locals set up on the beach every day with half a dozen fishing poles and yelled at anyone getting caught in their lines (which covered the area of a football field at least) calling them dumb tourists. They seemed to have the support of many others on the beach. Smaller town Floridians don’t like outsiders. I’m sure it’s always been like that to some extent but the hostility is becoming palpable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter