Boycotting Florida but not WDW, a moral conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why? "Locals" are just people. They're not economists. Most people have no idea how any of this works.
Many reasons. I find it incredibly sad when actual Hawaiians have to move because they can't afford water because it's expensive and resorts are hording it. If you are truly interested on the subject there are lots of videos out there by knowledgeable real locals that can explain a lot better than I can.

Many reasons. I find it incredibly sad when actual Hawaiians have to move because they can't afford water because it's expensive and resorts are hording it. If you are truly interested on the subject there are lots of videos out there by knowledgeable real locals that can explain a lot better than I can.
There are a lot of different points of view on this. If you’re talking about people of Hawaiian ancestry, it’s a really different issue than tourists - similar to the issues faced by Native Americans. If you’re talking about residents of the state of Hawaii, the issue is similar to gentrification in so many other parts of the country.

In general, residents don’t have a major issue with tourists, any more than some other industries in other parts of the country. But native Hawaiians have a real issue (very valid) that their lands were truly stolen, and almost none of the current economy can be justified as a result of that basic fact. It’s an extremely sad part of US history, really paralleling the Native Americans on the mainland.

There are a lot of different points of view on this. If you’re talking about people of Hawaiian ancestry, it’s a really different issue than tourists - similar to the issues faced by Native Americans. If you’re talking about residents of the state of Hawaii, the issue is similar to gentrification in so many other parts of the country.

In general, residents don’t have a major issue with tourists, any more than some other industries in other parts of the country. But native Hawaiians have a real issue (very valid) that their lands were truly stolen, and almost none of the current economy can be justified as a result of that basic fact. It’s an extremely sad part of US history, really paralleling the Native Americans on the mainland.
Indeed, nearly every first world country got there on the backs of indigenous people. Or on the resources of those without the ability to defend them. 10,000 years ago til currently. It's a selfish adaptation of basic survival instincts by egomaniacal societies.
History is an ugly subject.

Indeed, nearly every first world country got there on the backs of indigenous people. Or on the resources of those without the ability to defend them. 10,000 years ago til currently. It's a selfish adaptation of basic survival instincts by egomaniacal societies.
History is an ugly subject.
The saddest part is for Hawaii, this happened just 100 years ago (well, 129 years), by a country which wasn’t really pro-colonialism, and even President Cleveland was supportive of the Queen of Hawaii.

Hey - at least Hawaiians got an official apology (1993) before the Native Americans 2009)! 🤪

West Coaster here, and I can say with 100% certainty that many of the political decisions are in fact driving people out of the states. I know many people who have moved, and one of the ongoing discussions for those of us still here is how some of the decisions are negatively impacting our lives.

This is not to say that this is THE driver, or that you’re incorrect that economics isn’t a major factor as well. But there are many things that have gone well beyond the “6 of one…” point, and far into “I can’t believe they’ve let this happen…” reality.

We’re constantly afraid for some of our relatives living in CA, and in WA, we (and many others) won’t make our normal trips into Seattle or Portland because of first hand (or second hand) experiences.

The poster who had his backpack stolen, and no police availability for doing anything about it - it’s a very common occurrence, and is sadly a very different state than any time in memory.

Not at all getting political about this, and not choosing sides, but every decision and policy has repercussions. Many of the current policies were not fully analyzed and we’re now living with the consequences.

The pendulum will swing back at some point.
Sadly many of these people won’t learn and will vote the same way they did in their previous state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter