Buy Riv direct now, or wait for VGF2? Help please !

I totally get that and don’t disagree. My point was that the whole idea of 1BR availability at VGF remaining unchanged relies upon these new studios satisfying the booking needs of not only all of the new owners, but also any existing owners that are assumed to be chomping at the bit to get out of 1BR’s as soon as more studios come online.

Will some existing owners takes advantage of the increased studio inventory to move over from 1BR’s? Quite possibly, but will it offset any new owners deciding they like the larger units (or any new owners who never intended to stay in studios)? Obviously impossible to say. I also wonder if this idea of reserving two studios versus a single 1BR (even if it’s a minor trend) won’t have significant impact on availability and force people to stay in, or try to get into 1BR’s in the future.

Just thinking out loud.

Its hard for me to wrap my head around the possibility that the introduction of VGF2 will suddenly create a run on one bedrooms, some of the priciest accommodations at WDW, especially when studios are the most popular booking category. Of course some new studio buyers will consider trying them out, if they have the points, but very possibly existing VGF owners will want to try out the new building as well.

No washer/dryer or real kitchen will make you have to pack more and spend more money on the Disney food. There are a lot of uninformed buyers, so I’m sure they will sell it. The new buyers won’t understand the point chart is very high or the limited availability of the larger units.

Studios are very popular within the DVC system for a reason as they require fewer points and are a cheaper equivalent to hotel rooms. In our case we are a childless couple and we don't need a one bedroom. Studios are economical and we enjoy them for the two of us. Also, cooking on vacation sounds like one of the seven circles of hell to me. We really enjoy eating out at restaurants and often it's the highlight of the trip. Not everyone vacations the same way and the resort studios appeal to a market within DVC that is not necessarily an "uninformed buyer". As an existing VGF owner I am pleased the increase in studios may take the pressure off securing a room in the Fall.

Its hard for me to wrap my head around the possibility that the introduction of VGF2 will suddenly create a run on one bedrooms, some of the priciest accommodations at WDW, especially when studios are the most popular booking category. Of course some new studio buyers will consider trying them out, if they have the points, but very possibly existing VGF owners will want to try out the new building as well.
I never suggested there would be a "run", but it is a statistical probability that some number of the thousands of people who buy these new "VGF2" contracts will be interested from the get-go in something other than the studio-only offerings found in the converted building. They will not be blind to the fact that 1BR and 2BR villas exist, and they will understand that those are available to them. They will be aware that there are other options within the previously existing inventory. In the minority? Likely, but out of maybe 6 to 10 thousand new owners, what percentage needs to consider trying those out before you see some effect?

The suggestion has been made that some existing owners, who already would prefer a studio over a 1BR, would move over to the new rooms as 1BR's are point eaters, and that is very possible. I'm just curious what will happen. Now, you've got some people suggesting that some owners who formerly reserved 2BR villas based on sleeping capacity might make the move to two connecting resort studios. I think people may be placing quite large expectations on these 200 new units.

Since the price per point and the point chart are both very high, of course people can only afford studios. Two studios is not the same as a one bedroom. No washer/dryer or real kitchen will make you have to pack more and spend more money on the Disney food. DVC started as a home away from home. That’s why we love it. I also know people who bought Polly and regretted it because they only have studios and sold it. There are a lot of uninformed buyers, so I’m sure they will sell it. The new buyers won’t understand the point chart is very high or the limited availability of the larger units.
I must be an uninformed buyer as I LOVE the resort studios

i love having two queen beds

i love there is no wasted space on a microwave

I love it’s at gfv

i love the walking path to mk

i never want to cook when on vacation, that’s not a vacation that’s a chore. I want to eat out exclusively and let someone else worry about doing dishes

there is only One thing I wish the resort studios had, a standing shower separate from the bathroom. I can forgive that because I love everything else

I must be an uninformed buyer as I LOVE the resort studios

i love having two queen beds

i love there is no wasted space on a microwave

I love it’s at gfv

i love the walking path to mk

i never want to cook when on vacation, that’s not a vacation that’s a chore. I want to eat out exclusively and let someone else worry about doing dishes

there is only One thing I wish the resort studios had, a standing shower separate from the bathroom. I can forgive that because I love everything else

lol - I don't believe that is what they were stating. You're the opposite because you know what the new proposed VGF villas will be and that they are what you want.

The majority of DVC buyers are not on these boards and are buying on an impulse as they enjoy a visit to Disney parks. They are sold whatever DVC wants to sell them and usually don't know much about the system until they have purchased. Poly was tough as people were sold it without knowing about other options nor how much they might like the larger villas. And the ones who asked were told by some guides they'd be able to stay anywhere else they liked.

I never suggested there would be a "run", but it is a statistical probability that some number of the thousands of people who buy these new "VGF2" contracts will be interested from the get-go in something other than the studio-only offerings found in the converted building. They will not be blind to the fact that 1BR and 2BR villas exist, and they will understand that those are available to them. They will be aware that there are other options within the previously existing inventory. In the minority? Likely, but out of maybe 6 to 10 thousand new owners, what percentage needs to consider trying those out before you see some effect?

The suggestion has been made that some existing owners, who already would prefer a studio over a 1BR, would move over to the new rooms as 1BR's are point eaters, and that is very possible. I'm just curious what will happen. Now, you've got some people suggesting that some owners who formerly reserved 2BR villas based on sleeping capacity might make the move to two connecting resort studios. I think people may be placing quite large expectations on these 200 new units.
Yeah, some number might be interested. But considering the monumentally high point chart, and the fact that many new buyers will probably purchase the minimum 150 points, studios will become the only viable option if they want to maximize the number of nights they can stay. Or, and here's another possibility we've never discussed, VGF2 buyers who bought enough points for studios, but want to stay in one bedrooms, might try for more bang for their buck with booking less pricey one bedrooms elsewhere at 7 months.

lol - I don't believe that is what they were stating. You're the opposite because you know what the new proposed VGF villas will be and that they are what you want.

The majority of DVC buyers are not on these boards and are buying on an impulse as they enjoy a visit to Disney parks. They are sold whatever DVC wants to sell them and usually don't know much about the system until they have purchased. Poly was tough as people were sold it without knowing about other options nor how much they might like the larger villas. And the ones who asked were told by some guides they'd be able to stay anywhere else they liked.
Yeah I know. tongue in cheek

I view those dvc sales kiosks as the same as what you would find in the mall. I always avoided them at all costs

i would hope though that people would do some proper due diligence before buying dvc. 150 points will cost $30k. That’s a lot of money for an impulse buy. It would be a real sham3 if in two years we see a bunch of new people online complaining how gfv was miss sold because they expected something they didn’t get

Yeah, some number might be interested. But considering the monumentally high point chart, and the fact that many new buyers will probably purchase the minimum 150 points, studios will become the only viable option if they want to maximize the number of nights they can stay. Or, and here's another possibility we've never discussed, VGF2 buyers who bought enough points for studios, but want to stay in one bedrooms, might try for more bang for their buck with booking less pricey one bedrooms elsewhere at 7 months.
So interesting thought. If as some predict vgf is more expensive than riv, those 1 bed buyers should buy riv and not gfv

Oh yeah. I started reading that and drifted away. Can't remember if there was a poll. Short attention span and all...
It’s an interesting debate

two camps

camp 1 - price will be $207 and identical to riv

camp 2 - resale has set the price so therefore Price will be in $250s

Look at May/June 2022 for a week:

2 std studios1BR std2BR std
points264282387
# guests (up to)1059-10 (LO has more)
baths, showers, sinks of any kind2, 4, 41, 1, 32, 3, 4-5 (LO has more)

I'm going to put this here again. Whether "informed or not", If I had a larger family and 200+ points to use (say, by banking/borrowing which is how we started), I wouldn't even bother to look at 1BR. The choice would be 2 studios or a 2BR. I mean, even for our family of 4, for the same or fewer points than a 1BR, my kids could invite more than 1 friend and we could shut the door and they could have their own bathroom + showers. I would pay more if we brought another family, or my dad, but 2 studios works for each of my daughters to invite a friend and we can shut. the. door.

I've done laundry when in the studios - in the main VGF building everything is so close, it's easy. Riviera maybe not so much, but we lucked out this last time and ended up 1 floor up and very close to the elevators and stairs to get there. I'm still cheap on points and would rather stay longer, but as my girls get older (and take more bathroom time), I could definitely see more bed space and more bathrooms being appealing.

It’s an interesting debate

two camps

camp 1 - price will be $207 and identical to riv

camp 2 - resale has set the price so therefore Price will be in $250s

There is a camp #3 who think close to RIV, not necessarily $207…but incentives to start will bring it down to that level!!!

KBOO - I'm not sure if I was more impressed and amused by your recap of the studio v 1bed VGF, or your signature line lol. Good job on both :)

1- gfv is not for sale direct so resale only
2- resale contracts are WAY overpriced and will correct dramatically when gfv2 goes on sale
3- gfv2 will likely sell in the $207 range

WAIT, gfv will be cheaper to buy direct in the coming months vs resale today
good points. I hope that is all true, if so, i will buy some vgf when it sells direct for $207

We were looking at VGF resale (and we were finding smaller contracts in the 175 -185 range last month once you really got to negotiating) - because wanted to buy a smaller contract (plan was 100 pts/kid). But honestly, while the restrictions to the 11 existing resorts mean nothing to us now, they might be significant in 10+ years if you are buying with the long haul in mind.

And as many point out - the upfront cost is not the only cost. For 150 points contracts - in ten years we will have paid another $13,000+ just for the annual fees (150 pts at $7.01 adjusted 5% per year). While to have an unrestricted ownership, for 150 points at $207 vs $180 is about $4,000 as a ONE TIME fee.

Obviously, both the $180 and the $207 are wild guestimates ;) ymmv

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter