Buying Aulani

I dunno. I made the mistake of joining an Aulani DVC Facebook group, and that crowd is about as whiney and entitled as any I've ever seen anywhere. They're complaining about Standard View villas like they reserved a suite at the Four Seasons Hualalai or the Grand Wailea. Island View, but you can see 4 square feet of paved surface if you look straight down and lean 4 feet out from your lanai? Get down there and complain until they move you!
I’m pretty entitled so I try not to throw stones, but I don’t expect FS Hualalai at any Disney property, especially since it’s priced 3x Aulani cash rates and about 4-5x DVC rates, last I checked. We have only stayed once — I refuse to pay for OV at Aulani because many of those rooms are what I consider partial ocean view, but I raved about our partial OV from our Island View one bedroom.

I don’t fault anyone for whining about how hard it is to find a set of chairs if they sleep past 8AM.

I think the view of the Ocean makes the Aulani one taste better 🤣

I’m glad you are enjoying your trip!
Thanks! The white walker at Monkeypod is pretty good as well.

Been a great trip so far, only one day almost totally rained out but others short rain showers, partially overcast so not cooking in the sun and Pools nice and warm and ocean calm and warm enough!

Thanks! The white walker at Monkeypod is pretty good as well.

Been a great trip so far, only one day almost totally rained out but others short rain showers, partially overcast so not cooking in the sun and Pools nice and warm and ocean calm and warm enough!
Have you checked out the Olelo Room at night yet?

We haven’t! Been meaning to though, have a few more days and might try and squeeze it in. We’ve wandered inside to check out all the carvings during the day though.
We recommend Olelo-- cocktails were good and the sushi was solid for a U.S. resort (you might be disappointed if you're expecting high end Japanese dining). Desserts also very good.

Everything tastes better when you’re watching the sun sink into the ocean!

I dunno. I made the mistake of joining an Aulani DVC Facebook group, and that crowd is about as whiney and entitled as any I've ever seen anywhere. They're complaining about Standard View villas like they reserved a suite at the Four Seasons Hualalai or the Grand Wailea. Island View, but you can see 4 square feet of paved surface if you look straight down and lean 4 feet out from your lanai? Get down there and complain until they move you!
In fairness, those ppl are in fact not watching the sun sink into the ocean, owing to their terrible views of the pavement, so I guess things don't in fact taste better....

In fairness, those ppl are in fact not watching the sun sink into the ocean, owing to their terrible views of the pavement, so I guess things don't in fact taste better....
If you plan to spend much time in your room, it’s worth paying a little more for a better view—but if we booked standard, we’d spend all our time at the beach!

I refuse to pay for OV at Aulani because many of those rooms are what I consider partial ocean view, but I raved about our partial OV from our Island View one bedroom.
I don't understand how Disney gets away with calling these "Ocean View" rooms.

This is what an Ocean View at the Hyatt Regency Maui looks like:

1706918380824.png

An Ocean View room at Disney's Vero Beach looks like this:

1706918557974.png

I don't understand how Disney gets away with calling these "Ocean View" rooms.

This is what an Ocean View at the Hyatt Regency Maui looks like:

View attachment 830940

An Ocean View room at Disney's Vero Beach looks like this:

View attachment 830941
Those are beautiful pictures of Ocean Front.

We found the same distinction between Ocean View and Ocean Front at Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Those are beautiful pictures of Ocean Front.

We found the same distinction between Ocean View and Ocean Front at Hilton Hawaiian Village.
I have to disagree with you on that one. Ocean front means nothing more than a walking path and some sand/grass between you and the ocean. You can’t call it oceanfront if there’s an entire family pool, luau lawn, and restaurant between you and the ocean. 😛

I was raised in a family where ocean views (and sunsets from our lanai) were the most important part of every fay in Hawaii, so it’s possible I’m spoiled, but I think calling something an ocean view should mean you have at least 120 degrees of ocean, preferable more than 150. Anything less than 90 is definitely partial.

I have to disagree with you on that one. Ocean front means nothing more than a walking path and some sand/grass between you and the ocean. You can’t call it oceanfront if there’s an entire family pool, luau lawn, and restaurant between you and the ocean. 😛

I was raised in a family where ocean views (and sunsets from our lanai) were the most important part of every fay in Hawaii, so it’s possible I’m spoiled, but I think calling something an ocean view should mean you have at least 120 degrees of ocean, preferable more than 150. Anything less than 90 is definitely partial.
Don’t shoot the messenger:

Know the Difference Between Oceanfront and Ocean-view​

Here's the real difference between the too-similar and easily confused descriptors "ocean-view" and "oceanfront:" The former means you can technically see the ocean from your room, no matter how unimpressive the view of it, while the latter ensures your room faces the ocean, likely giving you some of the best views the hotel has to offer.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/ho.../difference-between-ocean-view-and-oceanfront

Don’t shoot the messenger:

Know the Difference Between Oceanfront and Ocean-view​

Here's the real difference between the too-similar and easily confused descriptors "ocean-view" and "oceanfront:" The former means you can technically see the ocean from your room, no matter how unimpressive the view of it, while the latter ensures your room faces the ocean, likely giving you some of the best views the hotel has to offer.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/ho.../difference-between-ocean-view-and-oceanfront
T&L is generally a pretty legitimate source but as a marketing lawyer, I would say they are really stretching the bounds of both the literal meanings and common understanding of these words. I suppose it’s possible that many resorts market rooms this way, but it doesn’t match up with the several dozen beach hotels I’ve stayed at as an adult.

Sandals (where I’ve never stayed) agrees with you on ocean view and me on oceanfront: https://www.sandals.com/blog/difference-oceanview-vs-oceanfront-vs-beachfront/ —which is probably also the literal meaning of the words in each case.

(Edited to add: nothing in this post is legal advice and I am not your lawyer)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter