Buying DVC Coded “Travel” with Credit Card?

Coyg10

Earning My Ears
Hi guys, long time listener and first time poster on the boards here.

I’ve been strongly considering buying into DVC recently and I am big into credit card points, using the Chase Sapphire Reserve card which gets 3 points per dollar spent on purchases coded as “Travel.”

Do new direct DVC contracts and/or the annual dues associated code as travel on a credit card or do they code as something else? I’ve been trying to research for the answer but haven’t come across it anywhere. Thanks!

It has changed for various cards so no guarantee unless someone just had done it in the last month or two. I know someone cards have started flagging it as TimeShare and not qualifying it for the Travel perks.

DVC ESCROW PYMTS
Travel
Chase Disney shows like this for DVC direct. This is from a June statement. Good luck!

Hi guys, long time listener and first time poster on the boards here.

I’ve been strongly considering buying into DVC recently and I am big into credit card points, using the Chase Sapphire Reserve card which gets 3 points per dollar spent on purchases coded as “Travel.”

Do new direct DVC contracts and/or the annual dues associated code as travel on a credit card or do they code as something else? I’ve been trying to research for the answer but haven’t come across it anywhere. Thanks!
No go for AMEX, unfortunately

Does not code as travel on Citi cards either. Chase has always coded as travel for me in the past.

For CSR, timeshare is spelled out as a travel category in thier disclaimers. Wish there was a way to get 0% on purchased though.

confirming that Chase Sapphire Reserve codes DVC as travel...redeem your points optimally and you can get an effective 4.5% rebate on DVC direct purchases
Yup. We used our CSR card to payoff our purchase and then paid off the card. Used the gained points to buy plane tix.

Pretty sure our Capital One listed it as travel in 2019 and 2020, haven't bought any more points since then, so IDK if anything changed since then.

For CSR, timeshare is spelled out as a travel category in thier disclaimers. Wish there was a way to get 0% on purchased though.
If you buy with a Disney Visa, you get 6 months 0%. Direct DVC is explicitly listed on website as being eligible.

I was just reading on the Chase website about the Sapphire cards. It appears that only the CSR card codes for travel AND gives 3 points. The Chase Sapphire Preferred does not appear to give 3 points for travel - can anyone confirm this?

I was just reading on the Chase website about the Sapphire cards. It appears that only the CSR card codes for travel AND gives 3 points. The Chase Sapphire Preferred does not appear to give 3 points for travel - can anyone confirm this?
The Preferred gives 2 points for travel, unless booked through the Chase travel portal which earns 5x. Of course you can't buy DVC through the Chase portal so it would be 2x.
To be clear, I'm neither verifying nor disputing that Chase Sapphire codes DVC as travel.

Also, the Citi Double Cash back card gives you 2% cash on everything and has no annual fee. Most people should consider getting it and use it as their all purpose card for anything that does not get a higher multiplier on another card.

The Preferred gives 2 points for travel, unless booked through the Chase travel portal which earns 5x. Of course you can't buy DVC through the Chase portal so it would be 2x.
To be clear, I'm neither verifying nor disputing that Chase Sapphire codes DVC as travel.

Also, the Citi Double Cash back card gives you 2% cash on everything and has no annual fee. Most people should consider getting it and use it as their all purpose card for anything that does not get a higher multiplier on another card.
Thank you, this is helpful!

When purchasing on AMEX (at least historically for me as recently as this year) there were no multipliers, so points were rewarded 1:1 based on dollars spent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter