California DVC Rumors

mattnday

Mouseketeer
Well, we just returned from a week at the Grand Californian and we talked to just about every DVC person we could while we were there. Everyone was extremely tight lipped despite the fact there are now more than 10 kiosks set up throughout the resort area and a dedicated tv station pumping up the program. Every elevator even has ads now for DVC.

We did run in to one person who beleived there would be no announcement this week with the opening of Nemo and the earliest we can expect an announcement is August/September.

One other interesting thing is that he mentioned that the Disneyland Hotel is due for a complete gutting and potentially a new tower. It was ensenuated there could be a new DVC tower built there in addition to the much talked about addition at the Grand Californian.

So if there was a DVC in CA, would it just be one of the DVC resorts, and the applicable 11month/7month windows would go into effect?
If we owned at SSR, we likely wouldn't be able to book until 7 months out?
I'm not sure if this would be a great thing for those who don't own there. Would it? The point costs don't seem all that high for DGC now compared to many other Concierge collection hotels for example. I wonder how tough it would be to get into as a DVC resort.

Just some random thoughts.

Our guide is compiling a list of names to call, for sales of add on points at any DLR DVC that might be built. As rumors say that any DLR DVC will be small at first, booking a unit will be tough unless one has a contract there and the 11 month window. With that in mind, we requested to be added to the list.

The reality is that Disney is looking long term on this one. With the potential add on of a third park and the fact that they get less than 10% of the parks current attendees staying in their resorts due to capacity and pricing options. I think this also ties in with the recent west coast DCL iteneraries and the recent announcements of 2 new ships coming on board for DCL. I think they are looking at all options to try and improve the overall California experience and to capture more of the vacation dollar that is available in Southern California rather then having it go elsewhere.

We also were told that sales in California for Florida DVC properties is better than expected and is driving the desire to get a California DVC off the ground sooner rather than later.

For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't have a DVC resort there yet.

I bet it would be a great success

The DVC people at DL will find out about the California DVC at about the same time as the members get the info.

If they DO create a DVC resort in CA, how does an add-on work? If you are a current owner in FL can you add on in CA for a smaller number of points than the typical 160 for a first-time buyer??

Just curious. We would LOVE to own in CA.

You will be able to add on at California, just like you would at any other resort. The minimum add on would be about 25 points or so.

Another important point, when sales do begin you better act fast. This is the First DVC on the West coast. There will be alot of west coasters that will buy. In addition, unlike WDW where you have resales in competition with new properties, that will not be the case in California. I think this will be the fastest selling resort in DVC history.

Wooohooo!

I'm going to start saving my pennies. We would LOVE a vacation on EACH coast EACH year! We were just at DLR May 8-12, and loved it. Right now, the points don't go as far there, but with a DVC there presumably the points per night would go down... :yay:

:banana:

As soon as I get a Guide, I'm going to get on that contact list for when sales do begin.

(We just put in a contract on OKW and are awaiting ROFR.)

Thanks for the info!

We are BWV owners who live about 4 hours from DL. We don't need more points right now, but even if we did, I am not sure that I would buy an add-on at GCV because I don't think we will be able to consistently take advantage of the 11 month booking window. I just booked a hotel in Anaheim for a trip 5 months out and that is probably as early as I have ever booked at DL trip. As they say, at 7 months, points is points.

Also, we usually do long weekeds, so even though it is possible that nightly points at GCV will be very reasonable, it will still be an expensive points trip.

One factor that remains unkown is whether the points per night at GCV will be reasonable. When I compared the points for a stay at YC to a studio at BCV, there is a significant discount to use points to stay at the BCV. Right now, a stay at the GC is generally fewer points than at the YC. As a result, it is possible that the points chart for GCV will be much cheaper than the points chart for GC.

Another factor is the cost of MFs at GCV compared to the WDW resorts. Based solely on location, I compared the Marriott Grande Vista and Cypress Harbor in Orlando to the Marriott Newport Coast in OC, California. The Orlando resorts seemed to be about $700-750 per year for a 2 BR and the CA resort seemed to be about $750-800 per year for a 2 BR. So it is possible that the GCV may have slightly higher MF than those for the DVC resorts at WDW.

Instead of DVC at GCV, I have to admit that I am seriously looking at buying into Worldmark which is building a timeshare that should be open in 2008 within reasonable walking distance to DL.

-- Suzanne

I grew up next to DisneyLand (in Anaheim, Fullerton, Placentia, Brea, and Yorba Linda), and lived there 40 years. I've been to DL dozens of times. For that reason, and the fact that it's a 6 hour flight from Charlotte, I probably won't be buying into any DL DVC.

Of course, folks on the West Coast are probably pretty excited!

Suzanne

we are with you 100% and recently bought worldMark for exactly that reason. we are still holding out hope it will be completed by next April and we can slide in for our next trip.

Despite owning worldmark we would still do some sort of trade up / down with our VERO or SARATOGA if and when CA is announced.

Instead of DVC at GCV, I have to admit that I am seriously looking at buying into Worldmark which is building a timeshare that should be open in 2008 within reasonable walking distance to DL.
:thumbsup2 We use the WM at Dolphins Cove at least 2 or 3 weekends each year. It may not be a particularly pretty property ... but it makes a reasonable launching point. (We do walk to the parks from this property.) I'm sure the new resort will be lovely!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter