• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

California DVC Rumors

One factor that remains unkown is whether the points per night at GCV will be reasonable. When I compared the points for a stay at YC to a studio at BCV, there is a significant discount to use points to stay at the BCV. Right now, a stay at the GC is generally fewer points than at the YC. As a result, it is possible that the points chart for GCV will be much cheaper than the points chart for GC.

-- Suzanne

"When" a DVC is built a the Grand Californian, the points needed for a stay will be less than what is currently needed. However, at that time, you will also no longer be able to book regular room stays at the Grand Californian.

The DVC people at DL will find out about the California DVC at about the same time as the members get the info.

Probably true. But with the Anaheim property being a lot smaller that WDW, any variations in normal routine may attract a lot more attention. For example, if Jim Lewis is spotted walking around the GC parking lot with a tape measure, people will probably start talking. ;)

Probably true. But with the Anaheim property being a lot smaller that WDW, any variations in normal routine may attract a lot more attention. For example, if Jim Lewis is spotted walking around the GC parking lot with a tape measure, people will probably start talking. ;)

Heck, anyone could be out there with a measuring tape and it would prbably start something.

"When" a DVC is built a the Grand Californian, the points needed for a stay will be less than what is currently needed. However, at that time, you will also no longer be able to book regular room stays at the Grand Californian.
I was thinking that points for a weekend at a GC DVC would be in line with VWL, BWV, and BCV. If that will be true, then being a member of DVC is a huge advantage, saving points over the current number of points required, plus you'd get a bigger room.

We live on the east coast, so it is not that difficult or expensive to get to FL. However, DH travels to CA on business all the time, often to Anaheim, which is how we have been able to visit DL. I would so love to stay DVC when we go on those trips. Talk about having something to do when DH is in meetings....;) :love:

Another factor is the cost of MFs at GCV compared to the WDW resorts. Based solely on location, I compared the Marriott Grande Vista and Cypress Harbor in Orlando to the Marriott Newport Coast in OC, California. The Orlando resorts seemed to be about $700-750 per year for a 2 BR and the CA resort seemed to be about $750-800 per year for a 2 BR. So it is possible that the GCV may have slightly higher MF than those for the DVC resorts at WDW.

-- Suzanne

THe MFs are an unknown, however if you look at the breakdown of member fees at your current resort, you will notice that "Transportation" is one of the highest $ amounts. (WDW busses). Something that is not an issue at GCH because you can walk from that hotel to any location on property. Insurance rates in Florida have skyrocketed as well because of Hurricane risk. Even with the earthquake risk in Southern California, Insurance rates are still lower here, as only older building are at substantial risk (Pre 1933). I think you will be suprised to find the maintenance fees similar to what we are used to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter