• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canadians Shopping at DisneyStore Online

canabrits2

Mouseketeer
Hi there,

I recently got a big order from DisneyStore Online and while I LOVE their products and their base prices, I HATE how much is charged for international shipping. Nothing less than $27USD!

Anyone else frustrated by the cost of shopping at DisneyStore online from Canada??

By the time you pay the exchange rate (which was not horrible this time but could be), the international shipping charges and the customs charges to pick up your parcel (this time it was $26 on a $100 order!). You've doubled the cost of the order.

I want to shop there regularly but can't becuase of this. I was trying it out in preparation for our possible Halifax Disney Store closure....it won't be a viable shopping option, I'm afraid.

Anyone else wish they had a Canadian based webstore??

our store already closed.. it's sad. I was part of the opening team for 2 lower mainland locations and now they are both gone... we have no alternatives other than drive south; I think Bellingham still has a location otherwise we need to head to Seattle. :scared1:

The international shipping rates is why I hesitate to buy anything from the Disney site.

They've got great deals, but after paying for shipping, it doesn't feel like you saved much.

The best option is if you have friends or family from US about to visit you soon, to ship it to their address.

I wish they would get a Canadian online store already. Or at least give us better rates!

I only purchase from them if I find a deal that's cheap enough, that when factoring in the exhange and shipping costs, that it is still cheaper than purchasing it here. I'm royally p'od that they closed the store in Metrotown, as it was the only store in BC to get Disney related items, without paying an arm and a leg to purchase things through the Disney store.

Ugh...I always put things in my shopping cart and then back out when checkout shows me the shipping cost. It's ridiculous. Two nights ago it was $49.95 to ship two girls nighties? Uh-uh buddy. And then I got offered a survey to complete :yay: So I explained how I wouldn't buy anything because of the high shipping. And that I'd love to shop in the local retail store. But they closed it. Then I asked if they were sure they wanted to sell anything. :rotfl: I guess they're not that interested in the Canadian $. Jokes on them if we go above par! :rotfl:

I don't even bother looking at their websites anymore.

I refuse to spend all that money on shipping....

Oh well, by not shopping at Disney online, I can save up faster to go back to DW!

I only order online from them right before our trips and have it sent to our resort - I get great deals and we have cheap souvenir surprises for everyone to use while there or to bring home. And no duty because we always stay long enough not to have to pay!:yay:

The shipping with them isn't the only cost. You can get dinged by duty and taxes afterwards too. That isn't a nice bill to get sometimes weeks later.

There seem to be two trains of thought for US retailers when it comes to Canada.

Some, like the online Disney store, treat us pretty much like any foreign country. I went to order a book online one time that I couldn't get anywhere else from a US retailer. The book was $15, the shipping was $32! I didn't buy it. Out of curiousity, I used the drop down menu and realized they didn't differentiate between shipping to Canada and say, Botswana! Either they don't realize (hard to believe) that shipping to/from Canada/US is only slightly more than shipping domestically, or they are simply padding their profits.

Occasionally, you get companies who do indeed recognize that Canada isn't an ocean apart and shipping here doesn't cost them the same as shipping overseas. Those are the companies I choose to support.

I always drop a quick email to a company I would have done business with but for their prohibitive shipping charges. It may or may not have an impact, but if enough people do it, perhaps they'll re-evaluate their policies in light of the business they are losing.

Out of curiousity, I used the drop down menu and realized they didn't differentiate between shipping to Canada and say, Botswana! Either they don't realize (hard to believe) that shipping to/from Canada/US is only slightly more than shipping domestically, or they are simply padding their profits.

I think it IS padding profits, unfortunately. If Disney has physical STORES in Canada, why wouldn't they open a Canadian based webstore...just a logistical shipping centre that receives orders and sends them out?? They have a UK webstore!! There is a link on their site to the UK website....why not Canada? I think that they think they've addressed us by enabling shipping to us but it's not really a viable, sustainable shopping option with cost of shipping, exchange rate and import duty.... :( It makes me sad. I love the Disney store.

i didnt realize metrotown shut down:(
i live in penticton and i was my first stop when going to the coast.
where is the closet shop now??? bellingham??
i think spokane shut down a few years ago
bummer
vicky

i didnt realize metrotown shut down:(
i live in penticton and i was my first stop when going to the coast.
where is the closet shop now??? bellingham??
i think spokane shut down a few years ago
bummer
vicky

Sadly, Metrotown is gone. Nearest now is the Alderwood Store, a bit north of Seattle.

Bummer, I really like the Disney Store and it's a must stop when we're in the Seattle area.

I rented a mailbox from the UPS store in the US side (I live near Niagara Falls) and when I order stuff in the mail (in US), i have them ship to my box. I think most of the renter at that store are from Canada. LOL

I have anything I order online and anything too big to bring home that I buy, shipped to follow me to an address in Lewiston. It's a freight-shipping company and as the above poster said, the car is full of Canadian lic plates collecting their goods.
They charge $5 a pkg, no matter how big and I have been using them for about 10 yrs with not ever a problem. They will also forward on to you here if you wish...

I sent an email to GuestServices at DisneyStore Online to mention how sad i am about the cost for Canadians to shop there currently. Maybe if they have enough feedback about the online shopping experience for Canadians, they may see a good business option for opening Canadian based web-store?

Here is the exchange:

Dear Joanna,

Thank you for your recent email.

Due to the recent increase in shipping costs, our charges for shipping packages internationally have been adjusted. We understand the shipping charge you see now, may be greater than shipping charges you may have seen in the past and we understand your concerns. Please be assured that all international rates were reviewed in detail prior to making this change. We understand your concern and thank you for sharing your feedback.

At this time, we do not have any information regarding a Canadian based online store. We apologize for any inconvenience this recent increase may cause.

Please do not hesitate to contact if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Nicole B.

The DisneyStore.com Team

>
>

> Original Message Follows: ------------------------
>
Hello there,

I love the DisneyStore Online! I love the quality and choice of your products and your base prices. Unfortunately, I do not love your shipping charges to Canada. I’m wondering if there are any plans for a Canadian based webstore ever? For example, I ordered last month from the online store to see if it would be a viable shopping option for me going forward. It isn’t currently. I had a $100USD order and paid $27USD for shipping. I also paid the currency exchange rate and another $26Cdn to customs to pick up the box. This all means I can’t shop at DisneyStore Online often and regularly.

Kind Regards,

I only order online from them right before our trips and have it sent to our resort - I get great deals and we have cheap souvenir surprises for everyone to use while there or to bring home. And no duty because we always stay long enough not to have to pay!:yay:

Did you choose to ship it to a Disney resort?

I tried doing that, but I couldn't find a place to include the info the resorts need when receiving packages for guests.

Yup, this is exactly what we do too. Just did it last week for our trip, and will do it again in July. Disney merchandise is not high quality at all anymore, but I don't mind paying $5.00 for a shirt, as opposed to $25.00 in the parks!

Kids like it too as we set the stuff up from Disney online as gifts from Tinkerbelle!

Tiger :)

Did you choose to ship it to a Disney resort?

I tried doing that, but I couldn't find a place to include the info the resorts need when receiving packages for guests.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but when you create an account, you have to put your shipping address in there. There are many lines available in which to put the following:

Guest Name
Check in date
Resort Name
Address & Phone #

FYI - Always check with resort for actual shipping address, as we have had errors on our confirmation letters. This way, you also alert the resort to expect packages for you.

HTH, Tiger :)

Hi there,

I recently got a big order from DisneyStore Online and while I LOVE their products and their base prices, I HATE how much is charged for international shipping. Nothing less than $27USD!

Anyone else frustrated by the cost of shopping at DisneyStore online from Canada??

By the time you pay the exchange rate (which was not horrible this time but could be), the international shipping charges and the customs charges to pick up your parcel (this time it was $26 on a $100 order!). You've doubled the cost of the order.

I want to shop there regularly but can't becuase of this. I was trying it out in preparation for our possible Halifax Disney Store closure....it won't be a viable shopping option, I'm afraid.

Anyone else wish they had a Canadian based webstore??

I feel ya! thats why we always put in an order and have it delivered to the resort when we are there!!! Saves on the crazy shipping!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter