Cancelled Reservation

You certainly have reason to be nervous, but I wouldn't be in panic mode yet.

The steps you went through - extensive email exchange, personal telephone contact, written contract - do not sound like steps a ripoff artist would go through. Nor is using Paypal. A ripoff artist would pressure you to pay quickly in a manner that is difficult to trace, and if you insisted on going through the good procedure you used, they'd just move on to another victim.

Also, just to put things in perspective, actual ripoffs in DVC rentals are EXTREMELY rare.

I would continue your attempts to contact the owner and find out what happened. They may just be on vacation themselves.

One thing I am confused about is you say you saw the reservation cancelled on the "DVC site." To me, that means the DVC Member site, and I'm wondering how you got access to that. Whatever site you used, Disney website info is often incorrect or inaccessible, and I would not panic based on that alone.

On another note - I believe Dean is correct. Do NOT post the owner's real or screen name on the DIS. If you have any doubt, check with a moderator, but I'm sure that's the answer.

Whatever your outcome is, be sure to come back here and update everyone.

I have rented points from members here on the Dis boards, and didn't think we could access our reservations....well I just tried for my Aug trip & got to my reservation. :confused3

Very sorry to hear of the OP's trouble. :eek: I would be concerned too.

My feeling is the majority of people here on the boards want to rent their unused points honestly.:grouphug:

DVC members and renters can access their reservation - for viewing - at the link the OP posted. This has been the case for at least 6-8 months (because I did it myself at that time) and for a while before that as well.

Good thoughts to you! I hope that this is a mistake!
It is awful to think that someone would do this to you intentionally.
Fingers crossed.
Take care,
Kristin

Hello!

I attempted to contact her at the end of May, but did not receive a response. Today, I went back to the confirmation #, entered it on the same website, and got a message that said, "Your reservation has been cancelled. Please contact the original booking agent." I just sent the DVC member yet another email asking for clarification, but I'm panicked that I may have been ripped off. Is this something that happens for a valid reason, or should I be concerned? Should I do something else?

If the DVC member doesn't respond to your attempted contacts within a couple of days, I would be concerned. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Please let us know what happens. :hourglass

If the DVC member doesn't respond to your attempted contacts within a couple of days, I would be concerned. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Please let us know what happens.
The "end of May" was four days ago. Some people are more responsive than others to calls and email. Less-than-instant-response, IMHO, is one of the downsides you have to expect when you are doing any kind of business transaction with an individual, rather than a company.

I don't know about the owner OP is renting from, but we were in WDW from 5/22-5/29. During that period, I did not check my email, nor my home phone mail. I was on vacation and didn't want to be bothered - for us, that's part of what vacations are all about.

OP is continuing to try to reach the owner, and may well find out they are on vacation.

At this juncture, I'd be concerned (and I think OP is justified in filing the Paypal dispute since today was the deadline for that). But I wouldn't panic unless I learned the reservation, IN FACT, had been canceled.

I rented once and the ressie actually showed up in "My Vacation" on the regular Disney site for about a day then it disappeared. But everything was fine. I didn't expect it to be there in the first place. I booked our first night at ASMo and when I checked on that ressie there was the rented SS stay that had just been booked by the owner the day before. Maybe this is what's happened to you. I rented twice from great people on the Dis.

I rented once and the ressie actually showed up in "My Vacation" on the regular Disney site for about a day then it disappeared. But everything was fine. I didn't expect it to be there in the first place. I booked our first night at ASMo and when I checked on that ressie there was the rented SS stay that had just been booked by the owner the day before. Maybe this is what's happened to you. I rented twice from great people on the Dis.
Good to know!! That's what I'm hoping for. For now, until I hear back or until Paypal finds something, my hands are tied. So far, I've tried to contact the DVC member on April 21st, May 21st, and now June 3rd and 4th. At least I won't lose the $$ for want of trying :P Paypal will wait for the seller to respond until 6/24/2010 before I can escalate the issue to a Paypal-claim... hopefully it won't take that long to hear back.

I'm a new member and not quite up on all the rules and regs but I think I read somewhere in my new manuals that if a member is overdue on MF or even buy-in payments then a reservation may be cancelled. Is it possible that this may have happened to the rentee and it was not a case of intent to fraud? I know for us it took much longer for my dues cheque to reach Disney and be cashed. If I hadn't sent it in so early then I would have been late in paying.

I'm a new member and not quite up on all the rules and regs but I think I read somewhere in my new manuals that if a member is overdue on MF or even buy-in payments then a reservation may be cancelled. Is it possible that this may have happened to the rentee and it was not a case of intent to fraud? I know for us it took much longer for my dues cheque to reach Disney and be cashed. If I hadn't sent it in so early then I would have been late in paying.
If you are not a member in good standing, reservations can be cancelled. One might do a search on the Orange County website to see if there are any proceedings against the owner in question. I think I'd also try to call DVC directly even though I know DVC NORMALLY won't talk to renters.

I hope everything works out for the OP.

A reminder that posting names of DIS Posters in such a situation is not allowed, and that Disney nor the DIS will become involved in the actual dispute. DIS Webmasters may try contacting the DVC poster on your behalf, but the contract is between the owner and the renter, and any legal actions would need to be filed with the appropriate agencies.

There is always some inherent risk to a rental transaction, both for the owner and renter. The parties entering into the contract need to realize that they are assuming that risk. For a transaction that is totally risk free (or as risk free as humanly possible), you need to deal directly with Disney reservations.

OP, it sounds like you took the right steps to help ensure a smooth transaction so I hope everything works out for you. Sending Disney magic your way! pixiedust:

this just sounds horrible...if i were a criminal I would want an easier scheme if that even makes sense...why would/how could you wrong some one for the vacation...the person will lose more than just money...I hope all works out and keeping fingers crossed!

Your reservation has been cancelled. Please contact the original booking agent.

FYI: this is the exact language on the site for a cancellation. I had cancelled a June trip and later rebooked an August one. I had my confirmation number, dates and resort for the cancelled trip so I went to the website and put in my info and as the OP said; it does say exactly that.

So yes, I would be concerned. It might be Disney's error but the member is going to have to be the one to straighten it out. I hope you hear from the member soon.

Any news? If you have been trying to get this resolved by contacting the person you rented from for more than 6 weeks now, I think you have taken all the steps you need to for protecting the money you spent. That's LONT time to be on vacation and out of touch, should that be the case. I'd also be making my own reservation at this point.

Sadly, no news yet. No response back via email, phone, or Paypal. DIS moderators were kind enough to help me in trying to reach the member, but it turns out the DVC member hasn't logged into DIS boards since she received my payment, and the email address she has on file with the boards isn't valid anymore. :sad2:
Last time i heard from her was April 21st, so I don't have my hopes up. I plan on escalating my Paypal dispute to a Paypal claim tomorrow evening if she doesn't contact me by then. At this point, I am hoping for a chance at getting my money back... I start working on my graduate degree on Monday and DH starts law school in August. $610 is a lot of money to us right now! This incident may mean no vacation this year for us if Paypal doesn't come through for me. Its all good... I can control only my own attitude, so I'm choosing to think happy thoughts! :hippie:

Sadly, no news yet. No response back via email, phone, or Paypal. DIS moderators were kind enough to help me in trying to reach the member, but it turns out the DVC member hasn't logged into DIS boards since she received my payment, and the email address she has on file with the boards isn't valid anymore. :sad2:
Last time i heard from her was April 21st, so I don't have my hopes up. I plan on escalating my Paypal dispute to a Paypal claim tomorrow evening if she doesn't contact me by then. At this point, I am hoping for a chance at getting my money back... I start working on my graduate degree on Monday and DH starts law school in August. $610 is a lot of money to us right now! This incident may mean no vacation this year for us if Paypal doesn't come through for me. Its all good... I can control only my own attitude, so I'm choosing to think happy thoughts! :hippie:
Sorry, this doesn't sound good. I would assume your reservation is not going to be there. Hopefully you can get the money back through the paypal dispute. You should also try to talk to DVC given the specifics.

You should also try to talk to DVC given the specifics.

They were one of my first points of contact... I was looking for some hope that the message on the website was in error. They were very polite, but could not speak to me about any aspect of the reservation. They couldn't/wouldn't even confirm if that reservation number had existed at one point, even after I pointed out that this could be a case of fraud. I can appreciate the way they maintain members' privacy, so I left it alone.

Rachel - so sorry this is happening to you, but I'm in awe of your attitude!

We are always (ALWAYS) trying to explain to my son that he can't control what other people do, he can only control his own reactions to it and you are a shining example of that.

If I had any extra points, I would rent them to you!

Rachel - so sorry this is happening to you, but I'm in awe of your attitude!

We are always (ALWAYS) trying to explain to my son that he can't control what other people do, he can only control his own reactions to it and you are a shining example of that.

If I had any extra points, I would rent them to you!

:hug: Thanks, Vicki! Its been a heck of a week for DH and I... we had to put our 3-year old beagle to sleep on Memorial Day, and then this. Hollie's death has been the hardest thing to deal with... but it puts things into perspective regarding what matters in life and what doesn't. $610 will hurt our wallets, but I am beyond blessed with the stuff that money can't buy.

Just wanted to chime in here to say that I'm so sorry you have to deal with this hassle...and that I'll be eagerly awaiting updates. I hope that everything works out for the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter