• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cape May Cafe or 'Ohana for Breakfast

Rich M

DIS Veteran
I am staying at the Poly and wondering if I should just do breakfast at Ohana or go to Cape May Cafe? I am on the DxDDP so the price doesn't matter. Wondering which one has better food or if its worth leaving the hotel to go to Cape May. This is on our morning off from parks day.

Ohana is my families guilty pleasure. We like it so much that we eat dinner there twice every trip and usually breakfast at least once. It is so bad that my girls have picked out the Poly for our next trip. I cannot honestly comment on Cape May because it holds the distinction of being the only character meal we have never done.

'Ohana is tied for our favourite character meal (the other is Garden Grill).

As far as the food goes, I find 'Ohana and Cape May pretty comparable, but the tipping point for me is family style vs. buffet. Family style is so much more relaxing, especially if you have kids with you. No stressing out about if you're missing a character while you're in the buffet line. Having to line up and wait while others are getting food in front of you. Juggling multiple plates (if you're the one getting the kids food). Family style everyone can kick back and relax, food is brought to you, but you still get an AYCTE experience if quantity of food is important to you.

'Ohana is tied for our favourite character meal (the other is Garden Grill).

As far as the food goes, I find 'Ohana and Cape May pretty comparable, but the tipping point for me is family style vs. buffet. Family style is so much more relaxing, especially if you have kids with you. No stressing out about if you're missing a character while you're in the buffet line. Having to line up and wait while others are getting food in front of you. Juggling multiple plates (if you're the one getting the kids food). Family style everyone can kick back and relax, food is brought to you, but you still get an AYCTE experience if quantity of food is important to you.

Is there any specialty food items at Cape May that I wouldn't get somewhere else?

Is there any specialty food items at Cape May that I wouldn't get somewhere else?

You're making me use my memory, which can be challenging some days... I know they have a crepe station (make your own type thing) that I don't recall seeing at any of the other breakfast buffet. And I seem to remember my DS really liked the waffle toppings offering (all healthy like chocolate sauce, whipped cream, etc...).

What stood out for me about that meal is that it's one of he calmer/quieter buffets. The buffet area is smaller, but never seems over crowded and easy to get to the items you want.

You're making me use my memory, which can be challenging some days... I know they have a crepe station (make your own type thing) that I don't recall seeing at any of the other breakfast buffet. And I seem to remember my DS really liked the waffle toppings offering (all healthy like chocolate sauce, whipped cream, etc...).

What stood out for me about that meal is that it's one of he calmer/quieter buffets. The buffet area is smaller, but never seems over crowded and easy to get to the items you want.

Thank you for that information. I wasn't sure if they still had the crepes since it isn't listed anywhere. I was also considering 1900 now too.

We're staying at the poly too but always make the trip to Cape may breakfast. I think it's the most under rated meal at disney

We did Ohana for breakfast last week and loved it. Food was pretty good and we never felt rushed at any point.

We did dinner last week at 1900 Park Fare last week as well----they just got a new chef last week and the food was delicious. So if you have been there in the past and weren't impressed with the food, I would definately give it another shot. Characters are very different---Lilo, Stitch, Micket and Pluto at Ohana. Winnie the Pooh, Tiger, Mary Poppins and Alice in Wonderland at 1900 Park Fare.

We did Ohana for breakfast last week and loved it. Food was pretty good and we never felt rushed at any point.

We did dinner last week at 1900 Park Fare last week as well----they just got a new chef last week and the food was delicious. So if you have been there in the past and weren't impressed with the food, I would definately give it another shot. Characters are very different---Lilo, Stitch, Micket and Pluto at Ohana. Winnie the Pooh, Tiger, Mary Poppins and Alice in Wonderland at 1900 Park Fare.

Is the new chef for all meals or just dinner time? I have never been but thought that its walking distance to Poly so maybe something to consider

Thank you for that information. I wasn't sure if they still had the crepes since it isn't listed anywhere. I was also considering 1900 now too.

I was last there nearly a year ago, so it's possible they are gone, which would be too bad. Allears still have them listed, so maybe it's missing on the Disney site or it's a recent change. I'm going again in a few weeks and can report back though.

Characters are comparable at both places, so I think it just depends what you like to eat. I think scrambled eggs are gross, and I don't like eating greasy stuff (fried potatoes, sausage) that early in the morning, so I basically just nibbled the bread and fruit. My husband likes that kind of breakfast though so he ate well. I like a buffet because I can always find something I like.

I was last there nearly a year ago, so it's possible they are gone, which would be too bad. Allears still have them listed, so maybe it's missing on the Disney site or it's a recent change. I'm going again in a few weeks and can report back though.

Thank you in advance for reporting back

Cape May is my favorite character breakfast, but I always go to our resort restaurants. I'd rather take a leisurely walk to 'Ohana and spend the day by the pool rather than traveling around on our resort day to eat.

Cape May is my favorite character breakfast, but I always go to our resort restaurants. I'd rather take a leisurely walk to 'Ohana and spend the day by the pool rather than traveling around on our resort day to eat.

If you didn't really care about the character part would you say Cape May food is better?

In truth I missed the part about this being a non park-day. I would vote doing Cape May on a morning when you will be at Epcot or HS so it is less out of your way. I still can’t recommend Ohana at all though. Maybe a monorail stop at GF for the 1900 park fare breakfast instead if you don’t want the food at ohana but don’t want to venture too far from the resort

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter