Carthay Circle, Blue Bayou, Carnation Cafe : Which is a "must"?

countofmc

Mouseketeer
Everytime we go to the parks, we try to splurge on 1 really fancy meal at a reservation type place. It always ends up being Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55.

I want to try a place in the parks, and have never been to the above 3 (well I did go to BB once when I was a child, but that was a long time ago).

Which would you say is the best of the 3 in terms of food, service, experience, etc.

Of these three, I would say...

Carthay Circle: best food, but overpriced

Blue Bayou: best experience, but way overpriced

Carnation Cafe: good food and good experience, but certainly not "really fancy"

Tiebreaker goes to Carthay Circle, because you can get alcohol there.

I would vote for Carthay Circle over Blue Bayou as it's great food and it's in DCA where you are allowed to have a glass of wine with your steak.

Sure BB is a cute little experience with the ride going by and all - we actually did have a table right by the water but honestly, it's meh when it comes to the food. We found the service had a real revolving door feel to it - make you wait, get you in, get you fed, get you paid and NEXT...certainly not a cozy relaxed feel. We left completely unimpressed but now we know.

I like Carnation Cafe but as has already been said it's not fancy nor does it claim to be.

That's a tough question...

I concur that Blue Bayou is the best "experience" (in the sense that it's the most unique dining experience of the three), if you're at a table near the water. Those closer to the entrance lose their ambiance quickly. I've always enjoyed my meals there, but it does seem to get mixed reviews (I think it might also be due to the pricing). Service is a bit hit or miss (I've had some outstanding servers and some that felt like they were barely around).

I generally think Carthay has the best "service", but I've had mixed luck with the food there. Sometimes it's been outstanding, other times it's been kind of 'meh'. The restaurant is nice looking, but it's not really an "experience."

Carnation is not really very fancy, but I've always enjoyed my meals there. The service is kind of hit or miss and there isn't really much to "experience."

For my family, we tend to go to Carnation almost every trip, whereas Blue Bayou and Carthay are more intermittent.

Of these three, I would say...

Carthay Circle: best food, but overpriced

Blue Bayou: best experience, but way overpriced

Carnation Cafe: good food and good experience, but certainly not "really fancy"

Tiebreaker goes to Carthay Circle, because you can get alcohol there.
Yep, this.

We do Carthay when it's just grown-ups to enjoy the time just reconnecting over a nice meal.

We do Blue Bayou every other visit or so--mostly for the atmosphere at a waterside table. Some times we feel more rushed, but we aren't afraid to eat slowly and enjoy. I see people saying the food isn't great, but I've always been pleased--but I only do the surf-n-turf generally.

No thoughts on Carnation, but I certainly never see it addressed as a "nicer" restaurant.

That's a tough question...

I concur that Blue Bayou is the best "experience" (in the sense that it's the most unique dining experience of the three), if you're at a table near the water. Those closer to the entrance lose their ambiance quickly. I've always enjoyed my meals there, but it does seem to get mixed reviews (I think it might also be due to the pricing). Service is a bit hit or miss (I've had some outstanding servers and some that felt like they were barely around).

I generally think Carthay has the best "service", but I've had mixed luck with the food there. Sometimes it's been outstanding, other times it's been kind of 'meh'. The restaurant is nice looking, but it's not really an "experience."

Carnation is not really very fancy, but I've always enjoyed my meals there. The service is kind of hit or miss and there isn't really much to "experience."

For my family, we tend to go to Carnation almost every trip, whereas Blue Bayou and Carthay are more intermittent.
This. I burnt out on CCR. It looks nice, but always seems disappointing. For BB we always get waterside. And that really makes it. I choose BB.

Never have done Carnation Cafe. But I would add WCT at DCA to your list ahead of Carnation.

:wizard:

Been to Carthey Cirlce each year for the last few years and it seems to have gotten a little worse each year. It was phenomenal a few years ago. We are skipping it this year and doing Lamplight instead. I definitely kept Napa Rose on the must do, but since you are looking to switch, I’d still do Carthey Circle over Blue Bayou unless you have a number of kids in your group. The space is still great and I really enjoy some decent wine with a nice meal.

I agree with most of the previous comments... My pick would be Blue Bayou. I did Carthay Circle last time and we were were disappointed. It's certainly fancy and feels more elegant, but the food and service were meh. Will skip it next time. Blue Bayou would make for a special experience you can't get elsewhere.

As for Carnation, it's certainly not a "splurge," but I would still recommend you try it! It's not fancy but there's something very charming about it. I love to sit on the patio and watch the people pass on Main Street. It's endearing and the food is always good.

Not fancy, but my fav of the 3 is Carnation. Fried pickles, baked potato soup, chicken fried chicken... Everything is good.

2nd choice is Carthay.

Won't do Blue Bayou. Meh food at Steakhouse 55 prices... I will go to Steakhouse.

Carthay is on par with your usual go to locations...but I am rarely imprrssed.

Carnation Cafe is our go to...not at all fancy but consistatly the best food.

Our groups typial reaction leaving each:

Carnation: “WOW, that was pretty good”
Carthay: “meh”
BB: “hope no one get food poising again...”

I’ve eaten at all three.

Carnation is not a “special” splurge type restaurant. It reminds me of a Cracker Barrell.

I really enjoyed my recent BB visit. I requested and received a waterside table and had the lamb, which was delicious. A glass of wine would have made this perfect!

I also enjoyed my Carthay Circle dinner last May. We started off with Fairytale champagne in the lounge and had a great, leisurely meal. Restaurant was beautiful and we had good service and good food. I would repeat. Nice to have an alcoholic beverage with your meal.

Carthay is going to be the closest in experience & quality of food to Napa Rose & Steakhouse 55. It’s my fave of the 3 you listed. The food at Blue Bayou has been really hit or miss in quality when we have gone. To me this is still worth doing once just to dine inside a ride and soak up the atmosphere but expect the food to be mediocre to disappointing for its price. Carnation cafe is just meh in my opinion. It’s not as pricey but the food and the atmosphere don’t feel “fancy meal” at all.

Carnation Cafe has the best food at the price point.

Blue Bayou is a huge rip off. Avoid.

Carthay Circle is great at lunch. Go for lunch.

Most unfortunately and regrettably I must agree with your BB comment. I had the worst experience there over a year ago now. I had attempted several times to rectify this matter, but to no avail. I ended up having to pay for rubber lobster tail and shoe leather grade fillet mignon. Just disgusting. What was I supposed to do? Refuse paying the bill, so security or the cops would be called? No thank you. Suffice it to say, I have not dined there since. The place makes me sick.
I recommend Chef's Counter at The Napa Rose.

I love Carnation Cafe! No it is not fancy at all.. as stated multiple times above.. but it's cute.. the food is good.. and better price range ;)

As for Blue Bayou..oh my gosh... the setting is AMAZING! But food wise... we were not all that impressed. And for that amount of money... i want to be in LOVE with it! We have been twice.. and both times were just eh.

Carthay Circle.. never been but hope to give it a try!

I would echo the prior poster and suggest adding Lamplight Lounge to the list. I was really impressed with the food on my two visits and the ambience is awesome. I am not a BB fan - once was enough for me. Of your original three, it would be Carthay hands down. We also really like Cafe Orleans for a tasty meal with a great setting if you sit outside.

Well, I just booked a Carthay lunch for my husband's birthday after thinking about every restaurant on the property. He likes to be fussed over and they always fuss over him. Plus, he has many dietary restrictions and they have been great when dealing with that. I know it will be an experience and actually a really long lunch. Ironically, the first time my adult daughter ate there, she let out a scream when the waitress put the napkin in her lap. :rolleyes1 She wasn't expecting that. It's that level of service.

Carnation is very casual. I don't think of it as anything special. I do like breakfast there and the cherry malt, but I feel like the rest of it is like any chain restaurant. That can be good if you have very bland eaters.

Blue Bayou wins for best atmosphere. Honestly, with it being so dark, I couldn't really see my food or the menu. It is very nice when you can sit by the water. If you like to examine your food/utensils, you may not like eating here.

Everytime we go to the parks, we try to splurge on 1 really fancy meal at a reservation type place. It always ends up being Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55.

I want to try a place in the parks, and have never been to the above 3 (well I did go to BB once when I was a child, but that was a long time ago).

Which would you say is the best of the 3 in terms of food, service, experience, etc.

We've done all three on multiple occasions.

Carthay: We have always had good food and great service, although the last 2 trips we have chosen to eat in the lounge instead and have enjoyed it there as well.

Blue Bayou: Oof, this is our "hit or miss" restaurant. We have gone 4 or 5 times times and while we enjoy the atmosphere, the food never seems to live up to the cost. We have had a couple of pretty disastrous meals here so unless eating in Pirates is a big deal, I would skip.

Carnation: Like many others here, I don't see this as a special restaurant but we seem to end up eating here once every other trip.

Blue Bayou wins for best atmosphere. Honestly, with it being so dark, I couldn't really see my food or the menu. It is very nice when you can sit by the water. If you like to examine your food/utensils, you may not like eating here.
Not sure how long ago you dined at BB, but I agree that has always been an issue. But they now have menus (over the last 2 years??) that are backlit. Does not help with the food being a bit in the dark...

:wizard:

Honestly I didn't enjoy the food or the atmosphere at Blue Bayou. We went there on our first trip my partner (who usually doesn't have much opinion on planning) requested we not go back on future trips, so we haven't. As others have said, the food wasn't so good. As for atmosphere, if I remember right (this was several years ago), there are two sets of doors entering the restaurant with a little lobby in between. I assume the reason for that is to not let sunlight in since it's supposed to be nighttime inside the restaurant. When we were there they must have had the door propped open or something, because sunlight flooded the dining area every few minutes when people entered or exited. That destroyed the nighttime riverside patio illusion and was a constant reminder that the inside of a ride building, when properly lit, isn't that nice. I've never seen other people complaint about this so it's likely it was a fluke.

Carthay Circle has a nice building, and the food was high quality when we went, but I didn't care for it. My partner liked it. The menu changes, but when we went most of the foods had really strong flavors. I don't mind unique or unusual food, but it seemed like everything we tried was really spicy or tangy or some other overwhelming flavor. It might just be what we ordered (we got several appetizers to share rather than entrees). They did have burgers which the people at the next table seemed to love. We haven't been back simply because there are so many other places we love to eat, but I would definitely be willing to go back and order different items sometime.

Carnation Cafe is a pretty basic cafe, as others have said. The food was pretty good when we went. You can get a good solid meal here, but maybe not such a unique or memorable one. They have things like meatloaf, soup, sandwiches, burgers, etc. Personally, if I were in the market for a good but casual meal, I would go with Cafe Orleans over Carnation Cafe - both are good, just different types of food.

IMO none of these hold a candle to Napa Rose, so you may have to adjust your expectations if that's what you're used to splurging on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter