• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cases rising or dropping by you?

And we officially went back into the most restrictive tier in CA again :P
No offense to Californians, but this is the first time in my life that I wish we lived in California. I wish we had a Governor who put human life over money & politics. A governor working with local governments rather than taking power away from them would also be really nice. We're back to being concerned about going anywhere or doing anything.

Last edited:
Can I just interject here that the title of this thread is driving me crazy because every time I glance at it as I am scrolling down, I think it is news that Casey’s Corner is opening! Then I look closer and see it is just another Covid thread and sadly retreat back into my empty little Casey’s-less corner...

I don’t follow all the schools across the country, but I can only assume similar (maybe not to this extent) proportions at every college town.

Kent State in my area is having a big issue with COVID. Their county looks to be going to our highest alert (purple) today. We won't know until about 2 today. I don't know what their percentage is though. Other colleges in my area are doing mostly remote except for the one in my city. I do have to say though that the one in my city, the kids are going great. The college is scattered through the city so we see them walking to class. Even while walking they are wearing masks. Our K-12 school district is doing ok. We have been hybrid now for 3 weeks. 1 positive case each week.

No offense to Californians, but this is the first time in my life that I wish we lived in California. I wish we had a Governor who put human life over money & politics. A governor working with local governments rather than taking power away from them would also be really nice. We're back to being concerned about going anywhere or doing anything.
Overall I agree with you and looking at other states, I can see where you’re coming from. I will say that not all of the decisions in his tiered system, especially things prohibited under purple, are backed by science (and I’m not talking about Disneyland).

Upwards trajectory. Yesterday I received emails from all three of my kids schools (in two districts...shared high school) that students on athletic teams tested positive and attended practice over fall break, some attended class on Monday. Yay :headache: We went the first none weeks of the semester with only one notification of a student testing positive. Now multiple, and we're only 4 days into the second quarter.

Not the under-18 crowd, but one of my alma maters, Univ Michigan recently accounted for 60% of the positive tests in the county. The student population accounts for only 15% of the county total headcount. I wonder what proportion of the other 40% could be traced to the 60% that are of students (or vice versa).

I don’t follow all the schools across the country, but I can only assume similar (maybe not to this extent) proportions at every college town.
The same thing happened at the University of Wisconsin 6-7 weeks ago. The school administration made some very difficult decisions and instituted strict rules that vastly reduced the spread of the virus. They shut down 2 of the worst dorms for 14 days with the students essentially locked inside. The other dorms allowed students in those dorms to go about freely, but with restrictions. Strict rules were put in place for when and where people could meet in person, classes went from a hybrid system to all online for 3 weeks and every student in a dorm was tested once a week. When someone tested positive, contact tracing was put in place, isolation dorms were used for positive kids, local hotels were used for quarantine their roommates. The UW-Madison went from 200-300 positives per day in early September to 27 reported 2 days ago.

The colleges *can* get a handle on it but they have to make decisions that are not popular. My DD is a student at the UW-Madison and many of the parents on the Facebook group for parents were not happy with the choices.

Last edited:
Colleges can get a handle on it and many have. The bigger issue to me is the blame game. We are quick to blame someone who tests positive. I don't understand the thinking that someone got sick because they were doing something wrong. I have never blamed someone for getting the stomach bug or the flu why are we so harsh with Covid? I think that if schools continue to have harsh punishments kids will not come forward. Kids need to have positive feedback when they are doing things correctly and reminders when they need to follow the rules. If colleges do not open the economic impacts for many areas are devastating. My husband works in higher ed and I have 2 daughters attending their respective colleges in person. One lives on campus and one off campus. We need to find a way as a society to live with this because if we don't the issues are going to be tremendous.

Colleges can get a handle on it and many have. The bigger issue to me is the blame game. We are quick to blame someone who tests positive. I don't understand the thinking that someone got sick because they were doing something wrong. I have never blamed someone for getting the stomach bug or the flu why are we so harsh with Covid? I think that if schools continue to have harsh punishments kids will not come forward. Kids need to have positive feedback when they are doing things correctly and reminders when they need to follow the rules. If colleges do not open the economic impacts for many areas are devastating. My husband works in higher ed and I have 2 daughters attending their respective colleges in person. One lives on campus and one off campus. We need to find a way as a society to live with this because if we don't the issues are going to be tremendous.

What we know is that cases went up when universities opened. Most of the people testing positive now are younger than they were in the Spring. The reality is that these outbreaks at universities will spread back to the kids' home towns when they return for the holidays. Then, we'll see ICUs fill up as it spreads to the parents and grandparents.

Opening school for in class is a terrible decision. I get that people want child care for their young kids. I don't get why universities have to open.

Now, add to this that it's colder out. People will get together indoors, and it will spread faster. We know that indoor gatherings are far worse than outdoor gatherings for spread.

I wouldn't want to live in the midwest right now.

Last edited:
Florida also announced that by Saturday the state will no longer use PCR tests at state sites. The standard will now be the 15 minute antigen test.

That's not good for people traveling to states that require a negative test within 72 hours - most of those specify that it must be a PCR test.

Illinois, rising, big time. Back in the spring shut down, we were running about 3,000 new cases a day. With very tough guidelines, we drove that down to about 400 a day. We were like the envy of the country. But now just under or over 4,000 a day.
Yesterday, 4,942 new cases, 44 deaths. A real disaster.

Many of the schools and school districts that had open very recently are now closing up again to do remote. Several counties are eliminating indoor restaurants and bars again.

Even with those numbers, Illinois is 19th in cases per million population. North Dakota is the worst, South Dakota is second worst.

College students have to step up and follow the rules for the safety of the entire student population. If they can't follow the rules then they should face the consequences. At my DD's college the rules are carefully set out for them and they sign that they agree to them. They are given multiple warnings before they are brought up for disciplinary action. One parent on the parent's FB group complained how unfair it was that her daughter received a warning because she and her roommate had a "movie night" in their dorm room with "only" 2 other students. The rule at the time was that no one other than the roommates could be in the room!

There is no shame or blame for positive students. Just clear rules and clear enforcement. They are testing 1600+ students and staff per day and the positivity rate is less than 2%.

One parent on the parent's FB group complained how unfair it was that her daughter received a warning because she and her roommate had a "movie night" in their dorm room with "only" 2 other students.
:sad2:
There is no shame or blame for positive students. Just clear rules and clear enforcement. They are testing 1600+ students and staff per day and the positivity rate is less than 2%.
:thumbsup2

I wouldn't want to live in the midwest right now.
I'm good living in the midwest, it's never fair to paint a broad brush, especially with this virus. Plenty of people outside of NYC got tired of being lumped into just NYC, I would expect the same elsewhere.

There's much more than just broadly saying a region. A lot comes down to care available, attitudes of people, individual characteristics of places including what activities they have and more. The rural parts of my state got hit very late, it comes of no surprise to me though. Some of these rural places saw hospital funding issues ironically because they had to shut down elective surgeries months too soon. Hospital care is imperative for the virus.

Yesterday, 4,942 new cases, 44 deaths. A real disaster.

Many of the schools and school districts that had open very recently are now closing up again to do remote. Several counties are eliminating indoor restaurants and bars again.

Even with those numbers, Illinois is 19th in cases per million population. North Dakota is the worst, South Dakota is second worst.

Because there is always a bright side....at least the positivity rate didn't rise with those high number of cases. Tested over 80,000 yesterday so our rate stayed at 5.7 as the day before. That's a little something...

Bars and restaurant in Chicago have to close by 10, but i don't think that will help. I think it's just our second wave and we have to get through it. Hopefully people stop having big get togethers as that seems to be driving it.

Ohio has hit it all time high again this week. We are at 2400+ in the last 24 hours. My county is now in the 2nd highest color and with an indication of high incidence. We we don't get in under control in the next 2 weeks then we will move to the highest color. We have been here before and have been able to lower our numbers. Hopefully we can do it again.

My mom teaches in a district close to me. They just went hybrid last week. They have about 6 kids that have tested positive and several that are now quarantined, including my mom. My district has been hybrid for almost 3 weeks and only 1 student and 2 staff have tested positive and only 2 quarantined. The last time our county was at this level we went fully remote. I am expecting that this will happen again soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter