Changing resorts and Rental

cruise-o-matic

DVC..............Wannabe, DVC..............Gonna
Since may of you seasoned DVCer's change resorts to save points, I though I'd pose this question here (as well as the Transportation board):

Here's my dilemna:

We land at MCO at 8:10PM on Friday 12/9. Right now I can't seem to find a any decent rental car rates, at least from MCO.

Friday night, we'll probably be staying at Pop, so DME is an option from MCO. We also want to hit DTD if we have time.

On Saturday, we are transferring to BCV and at that point would like to have a rental car in our possession for flexibility and our return to MCO on 12/13.

What should I do? Bite the bullet and get the rental from MCO when we land? Or get up early and go to an WDW rental counter and get one then wiith a drop off at MCO? How would I get to the rental counter?

Rental codes/discounts would be great too.

Thanks.

You have two choices for picking up a car on site at WDW - the National/Alamo Car Care Center and the Alamo/National desk at the Dolphin resort. Here is the information about each from the NAtional website:

Orlando- Walt Disney Car Care Cntr.
ORLR02
1000 Car Care Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
US
Tel: (407)824-3470
Fax: (407)824-8230

Hours of operation:
Sun:06:00 AM-06:00 PM
Mon-Fri:06:00 AM-08:00 PM
Sat:06:00 AM-06:00 PM

Service(s) available:
CN-Counter
MG-Meet And Greet
EC-Emerald Counter

Orlando -Walt Disney Dolphin Resort
ORLR13
1500 Epcot Resort Blvd
Orlando, FL 32830
US
Tel: (407)934-4930
Fax: (407)934-4366

Hours of operation:
Sun-Sat:08:00 AM-04:00 PM

Service(s) available:
CN-Counter
EC-Emerald Counter

Note the different hours for each. There is a complimentary shuttle, but I do not know what hours it operates. You can call to find out. My advice is to take a cab to pick up the car if you want to go as soon as the location opens. AFAIK, there is no way to get from the POP to the CCC at 6 am using Disney transportation. If your destination is the Dolphin, you could take the first bus to MGM and then walk to the Dolphin. Doubt you could get there right at 8 am, though.

If you really can't find a reasonable rate for a car (you didn't say what size you needed), consider using a combo of Disney transport and cabs. I'd suggest taking a cab to the BCV and checking in and then going to the day's planned activity. Let Disney move your luggage. FWIW, BCV has pretty good transportation options and you are not going during a very busy time for the parks. In fact, you'll probably only run into crowds at the MK on Saturday and at the Holiday evening activities like MVMCP, Osborne Lights and the CP.

Anyway, you could just use ME - I'm sure all the bugs will be gone by December, and if you need to get between resorts or get caught somewhere in a crush, opt for the cab. We've found cabs generally average about $15 including a tip per trip. Of course, that assumes you aren't going off site for anything, but since you trip is short, maybe that is a safe assumption.

I use www.rentalcodes.com to see what is available for rental discounts. It's tough to get a super rate if you are going for less than 5 days (minimum to get a weekly rate).

HTH.

Best wishes -

Carol

Lots of info there Carol, I'm sure I'm sure cruise o will appreciate it.

One disagreement though--I would take a town car before a cab. It's so nice to be met at the luggage area and get into a nice town car as compared to going by taxi. And the price is pretty much the same. I always use tiffany towncar and have never been disappointed, they'll even stop for groceries on the way to your resort at no extra charge if you desire. Here's a link to the site and a coupon if it interests anyone :

http://www.tiffanytowncars.com/coupon.html

Mar'

Guess I wasn't as clear as I intended - my advice was to take ME (Magical Express) to and from MCO. The cabs were for occasional travel between on site locations when Disney transportation wasn't the best option for the particular circumstances - like between the POP and BCV for the early morning check in.

Since ME is free and cruise-o-matic thought the cost of the rental car too expensive, the towncar doesn't seem to be the best option to me.

Best wishes -

Hey thanks for your replies. :wave2:

The only thing about DME is that they want to pick you up so early for your return flight. We'd prefer to be able to drive to a park on our last day and leave directly from there to the airport. The extra 2 hours park time is worth the cost of a rental. Plus, we may do some traveling to FW or possibly AKL.

We rented an economy or compact (Neon) from Budget last Nov and the total cost was around $80 for 4 days. I can't seem to find anything now for less than $120 w/codes. I may wait until Sept/Oct to see if the rates come down.

I've read where it's extra to rent from an onsight airport location b/c MCO has a per day surcharge. I was wondering if anyone has rented from WDW and dropped off at at MCO and was able to get a better deal.

I haven't rented from WDW and returned to MCO, but I have priced it two different times and both times it was cheaper to rent from the Dolphin than from MCO. Same days, same times, etc. It was about $150 icheaper in February in fact. Keep in mind that it's National/Alamo that you'll be renting from.

You also have to use some kind of code or coupon. I recently reserved a car from Budget for next April. After doing this they offered me to sign up for their Rapid Rez program, so I did. Then I went back to the rental site entered my Rapid Rez number and my rental information, and my rate dropped about $40. Car rentals are something you have to be willing to play around with.

Definately check mousesavers and try all of the discount codes. Then get some coupons from Sam's Club, BJ's Club, Entertainment or somewhere and use them too.

We are also looking for a reasonably priced rental for that time period. The quoted rates over the last 2 months have been coming in higher than this President's Day weekend. This is the 1st time that we've experienced sold out status on discounts, coupons, etc.

After checking all of the agencies, we got the best rate @ Alamo using the "orless" discount, with an Entertainment coupon added on (not the best offer - they were sold out of it). We've gotten good deals in the past signing up for email notification of specials. Good luck.

I know you stated that you like having a car at BCV for flexibility but here
is an option you may not have thought of

We rent a car from Alamo at MCO for 24 hours this way we are able to
a. stop are grocery store for supplies
b. transport ourselves from one hotel to the villas without having to either
1. hire a taxi
2. take a bus to dtd, than transfer to bus to villa
3. Wait to possibly three pm for our luggage to arrive at villa from
disney hotel.-hey sometimes you get lucky & your villa is ready early
We drive to BCV or BWV, I go to check in, bellhop takes bags and hubby drives over to the dolphin to return the car. It really can't get much easier, for the money. We rented a car the end of april, cost was 29.00.

To get to airport, We rent car from Dolphin to MCO, again a 24 hour rental, i think the cost was 27.00

We are a family that is also used to having a car available, but we've adjusted pretty good to this system. The only hassle is if you want to eat at some out of the way restuarant like BOMA's, or Hoop-de-do, or trails end buffet. I would suggest if you plan to eat at one of these restuarants you reserve that for either your first nite or the last nite when you have the car.

good luck - have a great trip
deb

Don't give up on the rental rates yet. We are going 12/4 - 9 and I haven't found any good deals yet either. This past Dec. I got good rates, but not until it was closer to our arrival date. Good luck!

Jean (and anyone else going in early December) - You didn't say what size car you wanted, but I plugged your dates in for National and got a total estimate of $93.50 for an Intermediate and $ 104.04 for a Full size. Those are the 5 day minimum weekly rates. Used the Priceless contract code and the online Enteretainment coupon for $20 off. FWIW, I don't think you can do much better than that.

HTH.

Best wishes -

WOW! Thanks, Carol! You should be a travel agent! I was actually looking for a minivan, since we will be bringing my sister and great-niece. But I think I'll book a full-size for now and hope that a minivan deal comes along later. I'm also trying for a minivan in October and not finding great rates then either.

I had the same problem, i found a great rate on a mini van for our dec. 29 arrival, i booked the mini van, then when we were booking the airfare we decided it was cheaper to come home a day later. i figure i would just go in to modify the rental. the next day i went to add on a day on the mini van and i could not believe the price difference, because i wanted to add a day it was like i canceled the ressies and was making a new one instead of $400 with tax for 10 days i was now $900 with tax for 10 days. i called the rental place and was told to wait until the middle to the end of july to rebook the mini van. i was also told to book only 5 or 6 months out , i will get a better rate.

i booked my last (2) minivans for christmas last year in feb.2004 and had a great rate and i even watched the rates kept going up, i never seen the rates gone down.

i still have 2 mini van ressies, that i have to cancel. while we were waiting to book our rooms we decided to go on the DCL & a few days in wdw. i went and made ressies for one way pick up at mco and spend a few days at wdw then drop off at dcl port and after the cruise pick up a one way rental at dcl port and drop off a day later at mco . we found it was a lot cheaper then paying the transpotation thru dcl. now we have a car to pick up water, etc before the cruise.

We saw the same National rates, using discount code & coupon, they're not eligible for non-counter rentals. After a 45 min wait in line this Feb @ Alamo, National's next door looked just as bad, we vowed never to start the trip out with this irritation again.

We've switched 9 day res to National, paying less than $150 for Emerald Aisle (the discounted rate would be $120). Hopefully. there'll be something larger than an Intermediate parked there. Who designates these cars? I consider a Grand Am to be a compact, not an intermediate. You should have seen us trying to stuff all of our luggage into a "Full-size" PT Cruiser last time - thought my DS might be crushed by falling baggage in the back seat. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter