Chicago Marathon 2023

Ran Chicago last year and LOVED it - it is very well organized, and I loved that the start and finish are in the same place and within easy walking distance of lots of hotels. I found the expo to be a bit of a hassle - it's not super easy to get to with public transportation, and I was pretty underwhelmed with official race merch last year (hopefully it will be better for you this year!). If you can - carpool with other runners and just Uber it.
I recommend doing the architectural boat tour - I would have never thought of doing this, but saw recommendations on here and SO glad I did it! Plus it keeps you off your feet :) Also really loved the aquarium!
ENJOY your 26.2 mile tour of Chicago!

I complained all summer about training for a marathon in the summer heat, but missing a week (bookended by missing 2 long runs) due to my hip injury is making me feel like I did not train at all and I am in for a suffer fest.

I complained all summer about training for a marathon in the summer heat, but missing a week (bookended by missing 2 long runs) due to my hip injury is making me feel like I did not train at all and I am in for a suffer fest.
I am right there with you. I cut a couple of long runs short this summer and my last long run yesterday did not feel good or go well. Hoping for some race day magic for us!

Good luck! It's the maranoia talking. You're going to do great!

I would highly recommend getting merch online. There was a severe lack of finishers stuff at the main Nike store (I actually went to 2) in Chicago after the race (not sold out, they just didn't have it) and the lines were so long to get inside. If I recall, there were no womens jackets at the expo but maybe I got there too late.

If you want free medal engraving get there ASAP, the lines are really long - forgot what store did this, new balance?

Last edited:
I’m getting nervous. I booked a flight that lands at O’Hare at 2:30 and I’m hoping I can make it to the expo in time! I don’t like to cut it that close but it’s my daughters birthday party on Friday so it was the best I could do. It’s a direct flight at least. 🤞🤞🤞

I'm here in Chicago and went to the Nike Store and picked up a shirt. Picking up my bib tomorrow. This is a really impressive city and I am getting stoked for this race! Weather forecast looks pretty near perfect too: 40s at race start and only getting into the lower 50s. If my hip holds up it's going to be a great day.

Good luck to everybody else out there! It's almost time!

Expo went smoothly yesterday for packet pickup, although I lost my parking ticket somewhere along the way. They told me to just go to the parking exit where they pushed a ticket to the machine such that I could still use the discounted marathon price - easy peesy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter