Child pulled into water by alligator near Grand Floridian

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a gator can run as fast as a horse, what difference does it make if your ankle deep in the water or just playing in the sand next to the water? This just makes me sick and we don't leave until Sunday. So, so horrible.
Exactly. They don't only live in water. One almost attacked my puppy in Savannah and we were at least 50 feet from water.

Changing the wording on the signs wouldn't be the end of the world now would it?

Someone from Aus has stated that in the north of Australia they have signs in public places warning of salt water crocodiles.

View attachment 175587

Why not just copy similar wording in Disney? It wouldn't hurt. Also you have a lovely "clean" swimming pool, why do you want to go in the lake water anyway?

Fencing off the lakes would be a bit OTT in my opinion.

That would be nice to change the wording. If I hadn't already known that water+Florida=gators, I would think it meant no lifeguard was on duty. In the Midwest where I'm from, people frequently swim in lakes or take their kids to play on the shore of the lake. There is no ocean and most people don't have a pool. Playing on the shore is not what I call swimming.

This is such a terrible tragedy. I can't even imagine what this poor family is going through right now.

I do not think anybody is at fault here. I think the parents were enjoying a wonderful evening with their child and it ended very badly.

I have lived in the south and am very aware of gators and snakes and other creatures. I never even thought about there being snakes and gators and other creatures on Disney property until I got on these boards. I think a lot of people (myself included at one time) who visit from all over the world that Disney is a resort and a "safe place". I don't think people even fathom that there could be anything in the water or in the shrubbery. When you are on a family vacation like Disney you tend to let your guard down and I think this family was just relaxing and enjoying the resort and the water area.

The no swimming signs to me and I am sure to a lot of people mean just that. No Swimming! Dipping your toes in the water or getting water for a sand castle is not the same as submerging into the water. It would be a very good idea to post signs that there are wildlife in the area and to stay out of the water and be vigilant and respectful of the wildlife that is on the property.

Stop blaming the family. "No swimming" is not the same as "Stay out of the water." Nor is it the same as having a sign warning about alligators in the water. Disney built a beach on a body of water that has alligators, has events on that beach close to water's edge at night when it's dark, and has visitors from all over the world who categorically do not understand the risks that gators pose. Disney invites people, including little kids, who do not know better to come right up to the gator's habitat. This case will never reach court because Disney will pay millions to settle. The lack of any previous history lulled everyone into a false sense of security, but Disney has to reassess the environment it has created on that beach.[/QUOTE
Can I get an Amen!

I think that comment makes them seem entitled or arrogant. To me, 'no swimming' means do not go into the water and swim. Putting your feet in the water is not swimming to me. Maybe the signs should say, 'do not touch or go near the water'. Those parents had no idea.
totally agree. it's sickening to me how every time there is a tragedy involving kids all of the perfect parents come out to wag fingers. I'm sure they saw a difference between letting your toddler wade and actual swimming. It breaks my heart how easily this could have been avoided but I do not blame the parents for misinterpreting the sign.

Safety Alert!

Please don't wade in water you are not personally familiar with especially when it's dark.

Those lakes at Disney are DARK, for all you know there's a giant sink hole just inches from where you are "wading"

Alligators aren't the only danger.

The waters at POR are BLACK. Anyone that stays at POR and POFQ know for sure. I never considered sticking my feet in there either. Creepy.

A few years ago we were staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort. We were standing on the wooden walkway that goes to Old Port Royale. People often stand here to look at fish or turtles with their children. A few minutes later I noticed something under the walkway below our feet. When I got down close to the slats in the walkway, I could clearly see a 5-ish foot alligator just chillin there. We notified the nearest employee and they said to keep it quiet for a moment so the children didn't get scared. They left to report it to the appropriate staff members. They returned a few minutes later stating the sighting had been reported and the alligator would be removed as soon as possible. We sat out there to eat our food and saw several staff members check back on that area to monitor the gator's position. The employee we spoke to said they get gators often and take action to safely remove them from the resorts. The day before our gator sighting, we also received a notice in our room about a bear sighting in the immediate vicinity of our resort. This is such an unfortunate situation and my thoughts go out to the family, employees, and other visitors at the resort.

I'm not judging. I'm saying there are signs posted for a reason and Disney isn't responsible for listing those reasons. They made a mistake and will live with it for the rest of their lives. My heart breaks for them but I don't feel this was Disney's fault.

I think we can stop protecting Disney. Many people are so quick to protect disney. Safe to say we all here enjoy disney, and I'm sure many disney employees are also sick about this, BUT imagine if the parents read some of these comments. This will not bring down Disney, we don't need to worry about them. I hope the parents never do read the comments that are everywhere. I'm sure they will be forever living with the what ifs, without people pointing out what they did wrong.

I remember staying at the CBR when our teens were little and seeing the no swimming sign on the beach and figuring the water was not clean or there were snakes. I like to think I'm fairly intelligent, but gators never crossed my mind. Just such a sad thing for this poor family.

Someone shared a photo on Tikiman's FB page just a couple of weeks ago of one floating by the Polynesian. I hope Disney stops selling sand buckets and shovels in the gift shop since this encourages guests to go in the water. Those signs will have to change to no swimming, no wading.

I've been to Disney with my DD many times from when she was 3mo until now that she's 4yo. We've stayed at BCV and used the sand bucket and shovel we got from a kids meal at Hurricane Hanna's on every occasion either on the beach or in the sand pool. NEVER once did we allow her to enter the water - not because for fear of gators or anything, simply because I know how dirty the water is. I would never go into any of the waters by the numerous beaches on property - and definitely would not allow my small child into the bacteria infested waters.

Just because Disney gives or sells a sand bucket and shovel does not mean take it and play in the water. Its a SAND bucket - there's plenty of sand on the beach away from the water.

Disney also sells alcohol and cigarettes in the gift shops - should they stop selling that too? Or better yet - they offer HOT coffee and Hot water, maybe they should stop that too. I mean who knows how many kids get injured by those.

I feel horrible for the little boy - this is a tragedy that shouldn't have happened. But I don't feel Disney is at fault here. Had they been on the beach and out of the water this probably wouldn't have happened. Maybe they should fill all the bodies of water with cement, like another poster mentioned, then there would be no threat of gator attacks.

Classic straw man argument. Classic.

Things Disney could have done differently: have a sign warning of alligators specifically, have some form of separation between sand and water (show me a beach leading directly from sand to water anywhere in the world and I'll show you people dipping their feet in the water), and erecting some type of underwater barrier to prevent gators from reaching the beach.

I know the risk of gators and am still surprised Disney would allow a situation where a gator could accomplish what happened. Disney plans for everything. That's why it is the best. I would assume that Disney would somehow alligator proof a beach leading directly to water like that. Disney is thorough like that.
Specific signage could have two consequences: people having to see for themselves, and people who blame Disney (sue) for injury from non-alligators.

If you're going to put a barrier between sand and water, why not just got rid of the sand? Plant grass and bushes, and put up a fence at water's edge? Any fence, and any underwater barrier, would need to surround ALL water.

I wonder if there are signs by any of the Lakes/Lagoons warning of this?
As many people have posted, including photos of signage, it does say no swimming. It doesn't say stay out of the water or warn of alligators. It truly is an interpretation of what "no swimming" means depending on your hometown or background, and knowledge of what is in the water.

I think we can stop protecting Disney. Many people are so quick to protect disney. Safe to say we all here enjoy disney, and I'm sure many disney employees are also sick about this, BUT imagine if the parents read some of these comments. This will not bring down Disney, we don't need to worry about them. I hope the parents never do read the comments that are everywhere. I'm sure they will be forever living with the what ifs, without people pointing out what they did wrong.

I remember staying at the CBR when our teens were little and seeing the no swimming sign on the beach and figuring the water was not clean or there were snakes. I like to think I'm fairly intelligent, but gators never crossed my mind. Just such a sad thing for this poor family.
I'm not sure people are jumping to "protect disney." I think that lately every time some tragedy happens, we need to find someone to blame. The sign said no swimming - which to some means don't get in the water AT ALL and to some means don't get in your bathing suit and go out in the water and swim. Should Disney have known that their "no swimming" sign would someday be insufficient to keep this from happening? I don't know, and I'm not protecting Disney. I am very cautious and would have interpreted it the first way... I always assumed it was a nasty, stagnant, bacteria-laden pool of Florida muck. I would not have really been thinking about gators. And no matter what Disney does to control them, nature does what nature does and that is certainly not Disney's fault. At the same time I cannot judge or blame anyone for interpreting it the other way and didn't think that letting their child splash around constitutes swimming. Maybe they thought there was no swimming due to there not being lifeguards. Maybe they thought they didn't want to have to deal with collisions between people and boats. There are millions of reasons it could say "no swimming" that would not apply to letting your toddler splash around right at the edge. Language is a funny thing and subject to interpretation and sometimes we learn the hard way that different things have different meanings to different people. I don't think Disney is "to blame" and I don't think the parents are "to blame." I think this is a horrible tragic accident that ruined the lives of this family and my heart weeps for them, and it doesn't mean Disney can't learn from it but it also doesn't mean that blame needs to be placed on anyone either. I know it "feels good" to have someone to blame but that doesn't make it right.

My family has been to Disney many times. We have sat at the Poly and watched the fireworks from the beach. It never once crossed my mind that a gator could be in that water. I will be looking at bodies of water much differently on future trips.

My heart breaks for this family. How an innocent night of fun can end so terribly...

How unbelievably heartbreaking this is. I feel so sad for those parents. I don't think Disney is to blame for this and it's hard to blame the parents either. Would I have let my toddler wade close to the beach? Probably not because the water is not very clean, but I don't know so I can't judge. I do agree that Disney should put up more detailed signs. Those alligators are everywhere. I have seen them as another poster said near the river in Liberty Square as well as basking by the canals during the bus rides back and forth from the hotel to the parks. I've even seen them basking by that pond near the monorail line at the airport. Anyway, it's a horrible tragic thing that happened and I can't even imagine the pain they must feel. :*(

As many people have posted, including photos of signage, it does say no swimming. It doesn't say stay out of the water or warn of alligators. It truly is an interpretation of what "no swimming" means depending on your hometown or background, and knowledge of what is in the water.

Exactly. We were just at the Poly a few weeks ago and saw the No Swimming signs. Where I'm from,no swimming signs means the water is polluted, and unsafe for swimming. I never even thought of alligators in the water. When I heard about this horrific incident, I couldnt believe it. I can't imagine what the parents are going through. All the what-ifs, how they could have changed the events of the night. We watched the fireworks at the Poly beach when we stayed there. We were on the chairs, maybe 15 feet from the shoreline. We saw plenty of children wading in the water during the day and in the evening. If signage warned of alligators, I'm sure the parents wouldn't have let them.

On our first visit, our son was 5 and we stayed at the Poly. We spent time at the beach, he played in the sand near us- near the water's edge. I asked a CM why there was no swimming and we were told there were no lifeguards. I specifically remember that. Now, we live at a beach, and the water there didn't look great to us, and we were very excited to swim in the pool- so he never went in. But he joined MANY other children getting water for their sand play from the lake. Nobody warned or stopped all of us. We had no idea there were gators there- had heard it was man made and didn't even think it was connected to anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter