Child pulled into water by alligator near Grand Floridian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some reports saying witness saw the dad wrestle with the alligator. No confirmation if it is true or not.

They reported on the news this morning that the father did try to save his son and got bitten. The son was splashing in the water near the beach and the gator came partly up on land. Not sure time of day. Disney stated that they have safeguards in place, but the wildlife expert said there are waterways in and throughout, including some underwater that you don't see, where they can easily enter.

I honestly don't know how a parent gets over something like this -- I pray for all involved and all who witnessed it, but especially for the parents. This will be a very long road for them and it is heartbreaking.

The NO SWIMMING should be a clue perhaps that the water is not for that, however, I believe that if there aren't at this time, they SHOULD have had signs up at least STATING that there MIGHT or COULD be alligators. Perhaps putting up a perimeter so that they can't get close to the edge would help. Much of this is common sense. Hoping for the best.

I've been to Disney with my DD many times from when she was 3mo until now that she's 4yo. We've stayed at BCV and used the sand bucket and shovel we got from a kids meal at Hurricane Hanna's on every occasion either on the beach or in the sand pool. NEVER once did we allow her to enter the water - not because for fear of gators or anything, simply because I know how dirty the water is. I would never go into any of the waters by the numerous beaches on property - and definitely would not allow my small child into the bacteria infested waters.

Just because Disney gives or sells a sand bucket and shovel does not mean take it and play in the water. Its a SAND bucket - there's plenty of sand on the beach away from the water.

Disney also sells alcohol and cigarettes in the gift shops - should they stop selling that too? Or better yet - they offer HOT coffee and Hot water, maybe they should stop that too. I mean who knows how many kids get injured by those.

I feel horrible for the little boy - this is a tragedy that shouldn't have happened. But I don't feel Disney is at fault here. Had they been on the beach and out of the water this probably wouldn't have happened. Maybe they should fill all the bodies of water with cement, like another poster mentioned, then there would be no threat of gator attacks.
Hmm, not necessarily true that if the boy hadn't been in the water, it wouldn't have happened. Alligators have been known to come out of water and pull their prey in. And, as I stated in another post,an alligator went for my dog who was standing on dry land near trees nowhere near water. Had a nice person not told me he could see the gator stalking my pup, I would have been going home dogless. What I think this really means is that we actually can't take for granted that the gators aren't ready to capitalize on our proximity in any way their nature permits. I pray for the family in this unimaginable tragic nightmare. I wish we hadn't all had to learn just how dangerous the beach can be at this poor baby's expense.

I don't understand how people could be so judgemental. I hope those judging never make a mistake. It changes nothing to point fingers.

This poor poor baby and his poor family. I am beyond sick just thinking about it.

I totally agree with you. A decision that you make or don't make can totally change your life in just one second. This poor family and their little boy obviously need support and not to be judged. We all make mistakes -- no one is perfect. What they obviously thought would be fun for their child, ended up a horrific, life-changing tragedy. Please do not judge these parents.

On our first visit, our son was 5 and we stayed at the Poly. We spent time at the beach, he played in the sand near us- near the water's edge. I asked a CM why there was no swimming and we were told there were no lifeguards. I specifically remember that. Now, we live at a beach, and the water there didn't look great to us, and we were very excited to swim in the pool- so he never went in. But he joined MANY other children getting water for their sand play from the lake. Nobody warned or stopped all of us. We had no idea there were gators there- had heard it was man made and didn't even think it was connected to anything else.

There have been SOME reports on the ORLANDO SENTINEL coverage that there IS a Lifeguard there. They might mean at the pool. If there is NO SWIMMING in the Lake, I don't see why there would be a lifeguard.

Resorts don't generally want signs suggesting to customers their property is dangerous. It's easier to say "no swimming." That wasn't enough in this case, although there's no guarantee whatsoever a sign warning about alligators or saying no wading would have prevented this tragedy. You could argue putting a cast member down by the waterline could have prevented this, but my guess is that doing so puts more legal burden on Disney should an accident occur. That said, the cost of that cast member would have been far less than whatever settlement is coming. As a parent I wouldn't want my 2-year-old near that water, especially at night, for fear of drowning. But having the beach movie night down there is risky. It doesn't seem that difficult to put a temporary rope-line along the water at night. My guess is that a permanent one will be coming.
GALLERY]

oEZBTXr.jpg

Last edited:
The reports never said he was IN the water -- he was on the waters edge on the beach. And if signs say "no swimming", nowhere would a person think that meant don't be on the beach either or touch the water! It's ridiculous to think the parents were at fault in this situation. We have walked that beach dozens of times between the two resorts. An alligator could have very well been hiding in the brush or run at us from the beach. They have been known to drag their pray back into the water. So if some of the PPs comments were to be taken at heart, then Disney would have to close the whole area to even pedestrian traffic! You don't have to be IN the water to be attached by a gator. Just as it has been proven recently that you don't have to be out in the water to get attacked by a shark as they are now coming into shallower waters!

Although I read often, I have never posted until now. There are too many people on this post that are wearing their "disney-colored glasses". Disney can do no wrong to many. In this case they did do wrong. Disney micro-manages everything and the wording of the signs is by no means accidental. They have an image of a family friendly environment that would not jive with alligator signs on their beaches. Since attacks are rare they never expected the worst to happen and I'm sure they assumed that the 'no swimming' signs were enough, without specifically indicating the reasons not to swim. Even walking within a few feet of the waters edge at night would have been dangerous. This is a tragedy and more could have been done to minimize its chances of occurring.

Hmm, not necessarily true that if the boy hadn't been in the water, it wouldn't have happened. Alligators have been known to come out of water and pull their prey in. And, as I stated in another post,an alligator went for my dog who was standing on dry land near trees nowhere near water. Had a nice person not told me he could see the gator stalking my pup, I would have been going home dogless. What I think this really means is that we actually can't take for granted that the gators aren't ready to capitalize on our proximity in any way their nature permits. I pray for the family in this unimaginable tragic nightmare. I wish we hadn't all had to learn just how dangerous the beach can be at this poor baby's expense.

I didn't say that it 100% wouldn't have happened. I said: Had they been on the beach and out of the water this probably wouldn't have happened.
Nothing in this world is 100% foolproof. I would think that everyone takes caution in whatever they do. But that's just my opinion and my way of life - not everyone follows the same train of thought as mine and I don't expect them to.

Disney's signs should of included "Alligators in water, stay out". Sorry just putting "no swimming", doesn't indicate you can't put your feet in the water. Putting your feet in the water is not the same as "NO SWIMMING". I would NEVER think not to let my child put there feet in the water. The sign should definitely of indicated there could be alligators in the water.

I agree with you. Swimming and wading are two different things. I'm sure the signs will be changed.

I am not an attorney, but I gather IF this gets before a judge the argument could be: "We were not swimming, there are no signs that warn of alligators"...just saying...Just praying for the grief that family must be going through. Praying for the little boy.

This is awful! I can't even imagine....

I don't think there's any logical reason that a no swimming sign becomes a "don't touch the water" sign to someone. It doesn't sound like this family was breaking rules or being careless at all.

I'm sure this will lead to some changes by Disney. Not sure what they'll be but this really is just one of those freak accident things. I do kind of wonder how an alligator of that size was in that lake. I was under the impression they attempted relocation after a certain size.

I am not an attorney, but I gather IF this gets before a judge the argument could be: "We were not swimming, there are no signs that warn of alligators"...just saying...Just praying for the grief that family must be going through. Praying for the little boy.
When you go swimming in the ocean there are often no signs warning of sharks either. Perhaps there is a greater expectation of safety at a resort. But I wouldn't want my two-year-old in the water at night -- especially without me holding on to them. We may never know the exact details of what happened.

These posts are all very interesting and enlightening into how people think about the water areas surrounding Disney property.

I grew up in Miami. I'm well aware of gators, no matter how small, or big, being able to kill in an instant.

My sister and I have always been horrified at the parents and kids who are near the water's edge or actually in the water, even with the signs.

Our horror comes from the fact that, and we have stated this many times to each other, it is only a matter of time until a gator gets a child. We just mentioned this in April, as we witnessed parents and children in the water. We told a cast member about this when we witnessed it. I don't know if she mentioned anything to the guests.

I say all of this for a reason: I assume most of the people ignoring the warnings are not from the South and have zero experience with gator habitats, nor would they. My sisters and I are thinking one way about the sign and most guests are thinking another.

Yes, I know that "no swimming" or "stay out of the water" means just that. But the amount of FEAR tied to that warning is very different for tourists than it is for me. I can understand why many would get close to the waters edge or wade in it.

I will bet money that there will be fencing of some sort now erected near all beach areas.

I don't see how Disney will not have to resort to this.

The reports never said he was IN the water -- he was on the waters edge on the beach. And if signs say "no swimming", nowhere would a person think that meant don't be on the beach either or touch the water! It's ridiculous to think the parents were at fault in this situation. We have walked that beach dozens of times between the two resorts. An alligator could have very well been hiding in the brush or run at us from the beach. They have been known to drag their pray back into the water. So if some of the PPs comments were to be taken at heart, then Disney would have to close the whole area to even pedestrian traffic! You don't have to be IN the water to be attached by a gator. Just as it has been proven recently that you don't have to be out in the water to get attacked by a shark as they are now coming into shallower waters!

Well, actually, on our news, it says that a family of five from Nebraska was 'wading' in the Seven Seas Lagoon about 9:20pm where 'No Swimming' signs were posted when the gator attacked - the baby was splashing.

Yes, we all make mistakes, but I see this very frequently - families letting their children play in the beaches knee deep and more even by the 'signs'! During the day at least you can see right near the edge - at night, no way! It's very scary to know that dangerous animals can get in areas like that, but FL is full of them, and where there's lakes, canals, etc. there 'will' be gators in them!

Can't even think of the unimaginable pain of this poor family - things happen soo fast - just no words to know their heartbreak and suffering.

These posts are all very interesting and enlightening into how people think about the water areas surrounding Disney property.

I grew up in Miami. I'm well aware of gators, no matter how small, or big, being able to kill in an instant.

My sister and I have always been horrified at the parents and kids who are near the water's edge or actually in the water, even with the signs.

Our horror comes from the fact that, and we have stated this many times to each other, it is only a matter of time until a gator gets a child. We just mentioned this in April, as we witnessed parents and children in the water. We told a cast member about this when we witnessed it. I don't know if she mentioned anything to the guests.

I say all of this for a reason: I assume most of the people ignoring the warnings are not from the South and have zero experience with gator habitats, nor would they. My sisters and I are thinking one way about the sign and most guests are thinking another.

Yes, I know that "no swimming" or "stay out of the water" means just that. But the amount of FEAR tied to that warning is very different for tourists than it is for me. I can understand why many would get close to the waters edge or wade in it.

I will bet money that there will be fencing of some sort now erected near all beach areas.

I don't see how Disney will not have to resort to this.
I agree, if any beach activities are to continue, there's no way around it. We are set to return to GF in December for my daughter's 3rd birthday, and although we're still going, I will never be able to look at seven seas lagoon the same way again. All I will be able to see is a body of water where a baby was eaten. I know many will say that you can't let a single tragedy ruin an entire place, but I tend to take the death of any child to heart. Prayers to this family, I just can't imagine.

Although I read often, I have never posted until now. There are too many people on this post that are wearing their "disney-colored glasses". Disney can do no wrong to many. In this case they did do wrong. Disney micro-manages everything and the wording of the signs is by no means accidental. They have an image of a family friendly environment that would not jive with alligator signs on their beaches. Since attacks are rare they never expected the worst to happen and I'm sure they assumed that the 'no swimming' signs were enough, without specifically indicating the reasons not to swim. Even walking within a few feet of the waters edge at night would have been dangerous. This is a tragedy and more could have been done to minimize its chances of occurring.

I love Disney as much as any other "Disney Lover" but I do agree with you on this. Had the sign said "Alligator Danger--Do Not Enter Water" I don't this this would have happened.

There have been SOME reports on the ORLANDO SENTINEL coverage that there IS a Lifeguard there. They might mean at the pool. If there is NO SWIMMING in the Lake, I don't see why there would be a lifeguard.

From the photos and just being there last week, it looks like it happened on the beach area right next to the kids splash/play area. There is a lifeguard there, not at the beach. It would take a minute or two to get to the beach from the play area, depending where the lifeguard was. Plus the lifeguard was watching the play area, not the no swimming lagoon.

It was a tragic accident, there are signs that say alligators and no swimming saw them myself..but I would never blame the parents, I cant imagine what they are going through..alligators are everywhere in florida, I don't trust any body of water to be alligator free..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter