Christmas 2020: A masked review - broken down by location!

RESORTS PT1 (Old Key West and Beach Club)
Because the best dining to be had isn't at the parks!

Old Key West
We stayed here for three nights and for our first time we enjoyed it. The rooms are large and almost every room has decent views and a patio. We loved sitting outside in the evenings and were excited about the new-to-us dining options here.​

Olivia's Cafe
Highly touted as a hidden gem in the WDW dining world we were excited to give this a try. We opted not to make a dining reservation as we (wrongly) assumed it wouldn't be busy but weather took a turn and everyone had the same though we did: get back to the resort for dinner. We were able to put our names in online an were quoted an hour. At the hour mark we checked in and they were very overwhelmed so we waited outside. We were seated about 20 minutes later.

Service here wasn't great, seems like they just weren't expecting the rush. We didn't mess around with apps and got right down to ordering since it was late. They did bring out rolls & butter which wasn't expected but always appreciated! I ordered the Southernmost Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Mashed Potatoes, Southern Gravy, Biscuit, and Seasonal Vegetables while husband ordered the Multigrain club sandwich which is no longer on the menu but was house roasted turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo on toasted grain bread with chips.

The fried chicken here gets raves reviews but I was fairly let down. It's one chicken cutlet, pounded to absolute death, then coated and fried. More Milanese style than your familiar juicy cuts of fried chicken. The coating was well seasoned but the cutlet was still somehow tough. Mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans were all good, standard TS quality. The club however was awesome! Huge, well made, fresh. The turkey was real turkey vs. the deli stuff. So good we had it again later in our stay. Bummer that it's no longer on the menu.

Gurgling Suitcase
We hit this little spot a few times during our stay for drinks. The service was top notch and when there'a a few barstools to pull up and sit inside I bet it's a little gem of more adult spot. They also offer a to go menu from Olivia's which is clutch! We ordered the club sandwich from Olivia's (again) on last night at OKW which was a lifesaver.

BEACH CLUB
One night stay here. Long story but this was supposed to be our last night so we wanted to upgrade. Otherwise I do NOT recommend the four way split stay we did.​

Beaches & Cream
A fave for us and so many others. I can't quite put my finger on why but it definitely has that special Disney feel going on. We'd been drinking at Stormalong all day so we skipped beers and stuck with water. I'd heard awesome things about their burgers here so I was excited to order the Angus Beef Burger with Cheddar, Lettuce, and Tomato on a Freshly Baked Bun + onion rings. Husband ordered the Cheese & Bacon Tots with Cheese Sauce, Bacon, Red Onions, and Garlic-Peppercorn Ranch. And man my burger was LET DOWN. Like just awful quality, not cooked well. Bun and cheese were low quality, just not good. I have to imagine it was just this batch or this one because I tried a better tasting burger at Cosmic Ray's. So I wouldn't say avoid the burger because I am sure they're good normally. Luckily the onion rings were super delicious. Husband's tots were solid, just as advertised. For dessert we shared the No Way Jose - A Peanut Butter and Hot Fudge delight featuring Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Morsels, Whipped Cream, and a Cherry which was even better than I remembered!

BC Marketplace
Later in the evening my husband stopped by the gift shop/counter service to kill some time (we had to stay up late to guide my sister in who was landing at midnight) and brought be back a spiked hot chocolate which was delicious and just look how cute!

Room Service
With my sister getting in late we ordered her room service at the last possible second which was lemon herb half chicken, roasted vegetable and potatoes. This came with rolls and butter as well. It was delivered within 20 minutes and smelled incredible. She said it was heavily after a long day of travel from the west coast.

Last edited:
We had a similar experience at Beaches & Cream in October. The burger I remembered as being so heavenly was just plain bad. Now that it's too late....I noticed that the allergy menu lists a "patty melt" and I'm wondering if that's what I had that was so good? Maybe it was on the regular menu in some form at one time? Anyway, totally loving your reviews!

We had a similar experience at Beaches & Cream in October. The burger I remembered as being so heavenly was just plain bad. Now that it's too late....I noticed that the allergy menu lists a "patty melt" and I'm wondering if that's what I had that was so good? Maybe it was on the regular menu in some form at one time? Anyway, totally loving your reviews!
What a bummer! I love a good patty melt and would definitely order one from B&C but it's not on the regular menu at this time. Just the old Angus beef burger which didn't taste very Angus-y to me (wow that sounds bad in my head.)

As restaurants try to save as much money as they can it's not surprisingly to think that quality of food is the first thing to go. You can serve the same items at the same price but the less quality beef, for example, now costs them less.

RESORTS PT2

WILDERNESS LODGE
My sister joined us for the remainder of our trip and we enjoyed three amazing nights in a one bedroom at Copper Creek Villas, our favorite rooms on property.

Geyser Point
Christmas Eve we were sitting by the pool enjoying a drink from Territory Lounge when the temp dropped 15 degrees and it started pouring. We quickly ran to Geyser Point as that was our dinner plan anyway. We had the place to ourselves, where was everyone?! They lowered the shades which helped with the wind factor but despite having overhanging heaters they never turned them on. So odd. We decided to get food to go since we had dining capabilities in the room and it was COLD.
I ordered the Roasted salmon served over warm Ancient Grains, Petit Greens, Grilled Vegetables and Lemon Vinaigrette.
Sister had the Bison Cheeseburger with Bacon, Sweet Crispy Onion Straws, Marionberry Sauce, Lettuce, Tomato, Garlic Aïoli
Husband had the Smoked Turkey sandwich with Lettuce, Tomato, Granny Smith Apples, Red Onions and Cranberry Mayo

Everything as excellent! They forgot the lemon vinaigrette for my salad which wasn't ideal but it was so fresh that I didn't even mind. My sister raved about the burger and ate the whole thing which is impressive considering she's about 100 pounds. Husband also said the turkey sandwich, especially the mayo was "phenomenal." Everyone was full and happy but we needed dessert and possibly a nightcap!

Roaring Fork
They were very strict about mobile order here. We walked in late to grab some goodies, all pre-made stuff, nothing from the hot food menu, so we figured we could just place the order at the register. No, the CM asked us to leave, place the order and come back. There was no one else even in there but okay. We did that and ordered the reindeer food for the reindeer, duh, a Magic bar for us (delicious!), and a glittery moose Sugar cookie for Santa.

Territory Lounge
We hit up TL a few times for beverages but with the limited menu we stuck with Kona, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel, and Sam Adams Winter Ale. On Christmas Eve when we stoped in the bartender was making an apple cinnamon holiday old fashioned for someone else so we asked if we could get one too. He was all excited to make it since it was his creation so that was cool. It was delicious if you like Fireball which I don't love, but it was still festive and tasty enough. Love the CMs at Wilderness Lodge <3

Whispering Canyon
This is our second year in a row doing Christmas breakfast here and while it's a little crazy, we really enjoy it. This time our server was just the absolute best. My sister made the mistake of asking if their grapefruit juice was fresh squeezed and our server about died laughing. Oops. But from then on we were all BFFs. So much so we even took a picture with her.

We all joked around but also talked to her about her family and Christmas and told her she could hang with us later in the day if she wanted to spend Christmas with someone (her family was elsewhere).

Anyway, back to the food. We all ordered the Heritage Skillet - House-made Buttermilk-Cheddar Biscuits and Sausage Gravy with Mickey Waffles, Scrambled Eggs, Country Potatoes, Hickory-smoked Bacon, Pork Sausage Links. Happy to report the waffles are back to their full delicious, cakey, vanilla-heavy glory, especially with the warm syrup. The bacon was the usual crispy Disney bacon we all love. The eggs were the usual weirdo Disney eggs that we don't love. We didn't really mess with the sausage links, but we all messed with the biscuits and gravy. I think we blew threw 10 of them between the four of us. We all had the fresh from a can grapefruit juice as well. Full and ready to brave MK, we headed out.

The food and options at WL are some of the best on property and a large reason we stay here over and over. So grateful for them to providing such a magical backdrop to our Christmas. Finishing up Resorts next!

Last edited:
RESORTS PT3

California Grill @ Contemporary
We had a 7:25 pm reservation for dinner so we Ubered over and were checked in and seated quickly. We had the most perfect table right by the window. Seeing the castle projections and EWP felt just as special, even without fireworks. We've been to CG half a dozen times now and it never fails to impress. My sister and I started with pinot noir while husband ordered an Orange Blossom pilsner. We considered the menu for a while but none of the entrees were really calling to us so we decide to order a mix of things to all share. Shout out to our server, who was just perfect, for his patience with us doing this. Hi from sister and son!

First came their bread service with olive oil + roasted tomatoes. Delicious as always.

Next was:
A Selection of Farmhouse and Artisanal cheeses - Five Unique Cheeses with Accompaniments. This was far less impressive than last time we enjoyed it. The ever changing selection of accompaniments were sort of half-assed this time, with an odd dessert type bread and another that seemed to be a cranberry or raspberry coulis of sorts. We weren't given much info about them, but the cheeses were excellently sourced as always. The blue selection was a little much for me but the goat cheese with lavender and fennel was *chef's kiss*

After that we shared:
Braised Beef Short Rib Wontons - Doenjang Miso-Cola-Onion Sauce, Crispy Garlic-Chili Oil, Radish, Pickled Lotus Root
Sunburnt Roll - Spicy Jumbo Lump Crab, Charred Verlasso Salmon, Lemon, Jicama, Mango, Zesty Yuzu Sauce

Oh my both of these were just incredible. The wontons are always a must for us. Bursting with so much tender meat, spice, heat, and killer umami everything. They're always even better than I remember and frankly we should have ordered two orders of them.
I have yet to be impressed with sushi at WDW but this roll changed that. The salmon was raw but just kissed with a char. So fresh. I tasted the crab as well but the lemon is what sent it over the edge. Each piece had a tiny wedge of lemon, peel and all, sitting on top and it strangely pulled the whole thing together. Sadly it looks like the sunburnt roll is now off the menu.

By now we were satiated but not exactly full and we were having such a nice time that we wanted to keep hanging out so I ordered another glass of wine and we inquired about an order of the Mac and cheese. And it was delicious. Like, the best most quality, grown up Mac and cheese. The pasta was tender but firm, the cheese sauce was creamy but complex but also familiar and homey. Perfect indulgent end to our savory courses.

For dessert we were looking for something to please the palate more than anything decadent so we shared the Mixed-Berry Balsamic Sorbet with Valrhona Manjari Chocolate Soil. The sorbet was sweet and super tart and very refreshing. Perfect ending! Just look how pretty.

For our last meal together at WDW (my sister flew out super early the next day) it couldn't have been better. So sad to see it end. Especially considering the food that awaited us the next night.

Landscape of Flavors @ Art of Animation
The next day we ended our dream stay at CCV and did a quick night at Art of Animation thanks to last minute flight changes by the airline that pushed our flight into the next day. We weren't mad about an extra day at WDW, but TBH we were ready to go home.

Last meal at Disney was the worst of the trip sadly. I'd read that Landscape of Flavors was one of the better food courts so tired and beat from the week, we took the easy way out and mobile ordered here for dinner. So wish we would have done anything else instead but live and learn. Nothing on their menu was really speaking to me so I hedged my bets by ordering three sides instead: Caesar side salad, breadsticks with marinara, and Mac & cheese. I took one look at the Mac and cheese and noped out. I did try one noodle but it was even worse than it looked. No one ate this. The side salad was about 9 leaves of romaine and a bag of dressing: it was pretty pitiful. The breadsticks were the best part even with the cold marinara. Husband ordered the chicken tenders which seemed safe, but he was pretty let down by the poor quality. My son ordered the winner of the night, the Asian Chicken bowl which was pretty decent for food court food. We shared a seasonal gingerbread cake for dessert that was actually great. Dense and moist with loads of gingerbread flavor and a sweet but-not-too-sweet icing. At least that gave us a little food redemption before bedtime and early flight in the AM. But next time we're going on out on top food-wise!

Next up: That's all folks!

Last edited:
Oh, those short rib wontons. 😍 I'm thinking I need to make a trip to Geyser Point to try that burger. I've heard several people call it the best burger on property recently. And also think that I need to book a stay at Copper Creek. Wilderness Lodge is so lovely (especially at the holidays) and it's been a while since I've stayed there. Speaking of burgers, bummer that Beaches 'n Cream was a let down. We ate there in early Nov and our burgers hit the spot.

Why I thought reading this 2 hours before dinner I have no idea but you have me so hungry now for all the Disney food.

I'm so with you on Disney Springs. I love the redesign and the new restaurants, but way too many people before covid. We've done lunch vs. dinner a few times and that seems to be the better option. But of course crowds or not you really cannot ever go wrong with Homecoming. We'll have to give those burgers a whirl.

I wanna travel with you guys! What a trip!

I can't wait to go back next Christmas!
Also, your husband looks so familiar.
That’s hilarious, any chance you’re an Ohioan? I’m from AZ but he did K-12 in catholic school + college and grad school in Ohio as well.

Why I thought reading this 2 hours before dinner I have no idea but you have me so hungry now for all the Disney food.

I'm so with you on Disney Springs. I love the redesign and the new restaurants, but way too many people before covid. We've done lunch vs. dinner a few times and that seems to be the better option. But of course crowds or not you really cannot ever go wrong with Homecoming. We'll have to give those burgers a whirl.
So hard to avoid DS because of the (mostly) superior dining but sadly everyone else feels the same way!

Thanks for reading and hope your dinner was delicious :smickey:

Okay, I’ve already had my dinner. But reading about your short rib wontons and other delicacies has left me hungry for more. Oh, your reviews have been so much fun for this faraway bumpkin who is distinctly homesick for Disney dining! Thank you!

Okay, I’ve already had my dinner. But reading about your short rib wontons and other delicacies has left me hungry for more. Oh, your reviews have been so much fun for this faraway bumpkin who is distinctly homesick for Disney dining! Thank you!
So happy it gave you some entertainment! I never tire of Disney food and reviews (even if some of it is hit or miss) so you're my kind of people. Have fun planning your next trip :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter