• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Class of 2022- High School Parents

DD got her schedule this week and is happy with it. Got into the class she needs for her major, so that’s huge.

She gets dorm & roommate assignments tomorrow. We do know she’s guaranteed on campus housing, so now hoping she gets the building she wants and that the roommate request went through.

Orientation is early next month for her major and move in is the end of August. Countdown is one and it’s going quickly.

My daughter was supposed to get her schedule at orientation but it took a bit longer. She has it now and it takes both majors into account so its all good. Unfortunately for dd she has an 8am every day. It should be interesting but she will survive hopefully. She doesn't get her room/roommate assignment until August which I think is late but requested honors housing which is a specific building. If the gets that it is she will be in a double with a bathroom that connects to another double so no hall bathroom and will have ac.

DD had scheduling, dorm selection, and a one-day in-person orientation a couple of weeks ago.

Scheduling: Was easy-peasy. They group nursing students into "learning communities" so she will have the exact same schedule as 19 other nursing students. All she had to do was schedule her learning community and there were spots reserved for her in all of the classes. So we didn't have any issue with being closed out of classes, etc. And her schedule isn't too bad. She's not excited about an 8am chemistry class 3 days per week... but she's done by 2 most days and is done by 9:30am on Fridays.

Dorm Selection: Did *not* go as smoothly as we'd hoped. The school has several styles of on-campus dorms (traditional, suite-style, apartment style) as well as several off-campus apartment complexes that still count as university housing. She was hoping for a traditional style dorm. It is 1) the least expensive and 2) both our tour guide and student panel recommended traditional dorms for freshmen because it's easiest to meet people that way. She had heard that people were having trouble finding rooms, but she was not part of a roommate group so we thought it'd be easier (at my son's school people cry "there are no rooms" when they can't find a spot in their preferred dorm for their group of 4... but DD was mid-range in the priority, not last, and only looking for one bed, so surely there would be a choice of spaces, right?) Not so. She logged on when her selection window opened and it said there were NO ROOMS AVAILABLE (at all). It said to call housing, which she did... and they told her that was a glitch, just keep trying. We refreshed and refreshed and refreshed for about 6 hours. Finally some things started coming up but they were all the off-campus apartment complexes. I did not want her to live blocks off campus (it's an urban campus in a pretty big city. I am not keen about her living off campus EVER, but certainly not the first year. Plus, all freshmen, regardless of assignment, are required to carry a full meal plan. I don't want her to have to take a bus to campus for every meal.) FINALLY-FINALLY, we saw a spot in a suite-style dorm. It's still not the traditional that she wanted, but I said "I think we should grab it. You can try to change it later, but at least it's *on* campus." So we did.

And then they shut the portal down because apparently ALL on-campus housing is gone. The remaining students (who haven't chosen yet -- and there are a lot of them) will be assigned to a room later after the university secures more housing (likely off campus). One of their largest traditional dorms (housing 800+ students) is closed for renovation, so that's apparently PART of the issue, but... geez. I had no idea housing was going to be like this. I'm feeling very grateful that we found something on campus -- and I think it's going to end up being better than what she THOUGHT she wanted honestly. Now, I just hope her roommate is good. (I had an experience with a crazy random roommate when I was in college so the thought of her going random makes me uncomfortable, but...)

ORIENTATION: She loved it and it solidified her choice. She met two really nice girls in the morning session (mixed majors) and one of them is from another suburb of our city, so they are making plans to get together this summer. In bad news, I think I caught COVID at the orientation. :( I've been so careful for 2.5 years, but it finally found me. :(

NEXT UP: Will be picking a move-in time slot. The first thing that is REQUIRED will be on a Friday. However, it sounds like freshmen timeslots are likely to be on Sunday-Monday. She doesn't want to move in almost a week early, but I'm not sure what the options will be.
I saw your post and I’m thinking your daughter is going to the same school as my daughter in southwestern Ohio. My daughter is a junior in the nursing program and also a student orientation leader for the incoming nursing students. I’ve been reading on the parents page about the housing situation and it’s a mess. I’m sorry you all are going through this. I’m glad your daughter found a room on campus.

I saw your post and I’m thinking your daughter is going to the same school as my daughter in southwestern Ohio. My daughter is a junior in the nursing program and also a student orientation leader for the incoming nursing students. I’ve been reading on the parents page about the housing situation and it’s a mess. I’m sorry you all are going through this. I’m glad your daughter found a room on campus.
Yes!!! I think you might be right! My daughter will be a first year nursing student.

My son goes to a state school in rural southwestern Ohio… and he didn’t get any choice in his freshman dorm. It was totally assigned. At the time I thought “this kind of stinks! They get no choice!” but that process was a whole lot less stressful than this one! I think maybe they were onto something!

Yes!!! I think you might be right! My daughter will be a first year nursing student.

My son goes to a state school in rural southwestern Ohio… and he didn’t get any choice in his freshman dorm. It was totally assigned. At the time I thought “this kind of stinks! They get no choice!” but that process was a whole lot less stressful than this one! I think maybe they were onto something!
I bet my daughter is your daughter’s orientation leader. If you have any questions, let me know. All the best to your daughter this year!

In two days we fly our oldest out across country to her first apartment, and first year of college. I know I'm going to cry. At least I have a few plane tickets already bought for her visits back home.

Oh, and first tuition bill due Aug 18.

How is everyone doing?

Ooh. Good luck. Are you the first (on this thread) to leave. We leave in 2 weeks!

(And from what I've heard there are still 200+ freshmen at my daughter's school who don't have housing assignments... and they're still working on arrangements for where to put them (off campus somewhere.) I'm feeling very thankful my daughter has a spot even though she's in a suite with all upperclassmen. Hopefully it'll all work out!

My son moves into his dorm on the 20th, and classes start on the 24th. Luckily, it’s only a 1 1/2 hour drive, so we’ll all go with him to help.

I took a 20-hour, overnight bus ride by myself to college freshman year, which was also my first time on campus. I didn’t think anything of it back then.

I think we'll take claim to that. We move DS in this afternoon. He has a two week (16 day) "bridge" program, then starts soccer training. Bridge classes start tomorrow. Fall classes start the 22nd.
Good luck w the move!!!

DD's move in day is 8/17. We've barely started getting stuff together This week must get some bedding and other basics. She's rooming w a friend, and I talked to the roommate's mom and aunt this weekend. They've gotten all kinds of stuff, and quite a bit of the shared things.
I do not like the drive to the school, but it's only 2 hours away (plus lose an hr going for time zone, but gain coming back,) so if she really and truly needs something, we can get it up there on a weekend.

Whose kid is going out of state? And how far away? I am in NJ and mine is going to AZ.

My DD took a gap year, so she was class of 2021. She's heading off to college on 8/24. She'll be almost 20 then. She's definitely ready to go, and I'm good with letting her go. I'm glad she took the gap year. She is much more mature and is committed to working hard in college. She needed that year to figure things out.

Ok! My daughter’s car is packed and we are hitting the road tomorrow morning for a 1600 mile road trip to her school in Florida. Of course, we are stopping in at WDW for a few days before move-in day! I fly home on Friday 8/26. 😢

Ok! My daughter’s car is packed and we are hitting the road tomorrow morning for a 1600 mile road trip to her school in Florida. Of course, we are stopping in at WDW for a few days before move-in day! I fly home on Friday 8/26. 😢

Good luck on your trip!

We leave tomorrow, too... but only a 2 hour drive. She moves in tomorrow. I'm not ready!

My daughter got her dorm assignment - basically the exact oppposite of the honors dorm. Can't say I was thrilled to see instead of a nice honor dorm she was placed in a standard triple elsewhere like the exact opposite. I did manage to get into writing that it will stay a double because supposedly no one was going to get a triple (she only had one roommate assigned). I did tell her a big plus is extra closet/desk/bed that her and her roommate can use and no need to clean the bathroom. Otherwise she lost ac, in suite bathroom, and honors activities in the dorm etc. I think it was very disappointing to learn initially but kind of whatever now and a bonus gets a bigger room.

Whose kid is going out of state? And how far away? I am in NJ and mine is going to AZ.
Short drive, but we are in MN and my kid is going to Iowa.

We leave Friday. Everything is in Target bags in my office here and I feel suffocated, ha! We will be hauling it all in 1 car, though.

The school he is attending is all apartment style dorms - his is 2 bed, 2 bath. 5 total live in each. Full kitchen and and living room. Mostly fully furnished. So, he just really has to bring bedding, clothes, a lamp, his laptop, and personal affects. Works for me!

Hi everyone! Just checking in. How is everyone doing? We moved our daughter in on Monday and stuck around for a couple of days. We leave the college town today and head back to my mom’s for a few more days. College girl is doing well. She likes her roommate and is keeping busy with all the first week events. I,on the other hand, have been doing a lot of ugly crying this morning. My husband just keeps rubbing my shoulder. He has no idea what to do to comfort me. Lol I hold it in while around my daughter and let it all out at the Airbnb. She is our first out of 4 to leave the nest.

Hope everyone is having safe and smooth transitions. Sending positive vibes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter