• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disgusting. Now they are openly giving the finger to that panel.
:eek: Yes - a panel of their own hand-picked experts. It is truly incomprehensible. I am rooting hard for the federal court decision to rapidly rule in favor of the plaintiffs.

In the meantime, on a happier note - everything is moving very well in the right direction here in Alberta. :goodvibes

Some Dutch news!

- More sportsmen say they don't want to get the vaccine, because development went too quickly, or afraid it will influence their sporting results (sounds weird, must be a better way to say this in English). One also said she is afraid it will damage her image by saying she doesn't want it. She won't go to the Olympics because of her decision.
- Some politicians want NL to get rid of all measures now because our numbers are getting better. Our PM said no.
- We are still at less than 3000 new infections per day, less than 400 in ICU
- Corsica, Hungary and Bulgaria are added to our approved list. Hungary doesn't want us yet, but that's a detail!
- It's getting more and more likely that we will get 1 test reimbursed if we want to go on holiday, but are not eligible for a vaccin yet. So only for the way out. Belgium is giving for the return as wel.

Disgusting. Now they are openly giving the finger to that panel.

It's not even just disgusting it's completely illegal. It goes against the Charter and the Criminal Code of Canada to detain law-abiding citizens. I hope the plaintiffs are suing for damages and I hope their settlements are substantial, especially the one lady who was raped (if she is suing too, I hope she is). Did anyone think it would get to this? Remember those videos of communist Chinese police knocking on doors and dragging citizens out of their homes kicking and screaming because they had a temperature? We were shocked by that behaviour and yet we have Canadians who are completely in favour of Covid jail hotels. Ya know... I can't even.... :sad2: /rant

Last edited:

Oh, and I've just noticed, NL has updated their travel policies! :D
Originally they had that everyone who returns to NL by plane has to have a test within 24 hours, or within 72 hours + a quick test right before departure.
I have a trip to Disneyland Paris planned for the reopening, and it was such a puzzle as I am cheap and I only want to take 1 test for both the way out and the return (like I did for my trip to Brussels). But there are different rules for when you travel by plane, car, train. And I just couldn't make it work in my head what the best option would be.

Now the new rule is, you need to have a test done within 72 hours before departure, and only the risk countries with dangerous variations, like India, need the speedtest.
So by the looks of it, I will go by plane :D

You can fly, you can fly, you can flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

It's not even just disgusting it's completely illegal. It goes against the Charter and the Criminal Code of Canada to detain law-abiding citizens. I hope the plaintiffs are suing for damages and I hope their settlements are substantial, especially the one lady who was raped (if she is suing too, I hope she is). Did anyone think it would get to this? Remember those videos of communist Chinese police knocking on doors and dragging citizens out of their homes kicking and screaming because they had a temperature? We were shocked by that behaviour and yet we have Canadians who are completely in favour of Covid jail hotels. Ya know... I can't even.... :sad2: /rant
And many Canadians on the Dis support this. It would have surprised me too. But living in Canada like I do but being from the USA it’s very easy to see the difference of how well the government and news controls the citizens. Unless you live in both countries you’ll never be able to see it. The people there don’t think for themselves as much. Still can’t believe someone in Ontario can’t get a legal haircut. It’s crazy.

I also can’t help lamenting the unnecessary deaths and suffering caused by this 3rd wave due to our horrible vaccine acquisition troubles. Most of us are obviously participating in the vaccination uptake as rapidly as we can and our infection rates are plummeting nation-wide. Had the promised doses been available between January and March, it’s apparent many things could have been different. :sad1:
So is this what socialized medicine gets you?
The US was able to get vaccines for all who wanted and is now supplying other countries.

Sorry but I completely agree with this. The Hotels wouldn't have been needed had those who traveled actually quarantined. Since most didn't care there has to be consequences.
Or, you know, we could have just enforced the rules that were in place. :confused3 Even after extensive study the Expert Panel could find no evidence that these gulags prevented the spread of Covid. There has been zero data released about people going to the hotels testing positive. They were introduced as a disincentive to Canadians to leave the country for leisure travel - period.

Thank you for posting this though. I am interested in everyone’s opinion even when it differs from my own and you are literally the only person I’ve ever heard (here or IRL) make a supportive case for the Covid hotels. I’d sincerely like to hear your thoughts about continuing them at this point.

So is this what socialized medicine gets you?
The US was able to get vaccines for all who wanted and is now supplying other countries.
I'm in Canada and my area has had a zero covid policy all year with hardly any community spread. My kids have only missed two weeks of (in-class school, they were still virtual for those two weeks) school since September and have been in hockey, skating, dance, etc. Premiers and how much they listen to health advice make a huge difference.

Or, you know, we could have just enforced the rules that were in place. :confused3 Even after extensive study the Expert Panel could find no evidence that these gulags prevented the spread of Covid. There has been zero data released about people going to the hotels testing positive. They were introduced as a disincentive to Canadians to leave the country for leisure travel - period.

Thank you for posting this though. I am interested in everyone’s opinion even when it differs from my own and you are literally the only person I’ve ever heard (here or IRL) make a supportive case for the Covid hotels. I’d sincerely like to hear your thoughts about continuing them at this point.
I don't care if people tested positive or not. People were told not to travel and still did. IMO they should be punished. I wish they would do more for those crossing at land crossings. Many are flying into Buffalo and taking a cab to avoid the hotels. I'm pretty sure most don't quarantine when they do come back.

IMO the only way to open the border is to allow those fully vaccinated to cross freely. Those not vaccinated you must quarantine

I don't care if people tested positive or not. People were told not to travel and still did. IMO they should be punished. I wish they would do more for those crossing at land crossings. Many are flying into Buffalo and taking a cab to avoid the hotels. I'm pretty sure most don't quarantine when they do come back.

IMO the only way to open the border is to allow those fully vaccinated to cross freely. Those not vaccinated you must quarantine
Fair enough. At least you have an accurate understanding of what the program was all about. Federal overreach - not limiting the spread of Covid 19.

And many Canadians on the Dis support this. It would have surprised me too. But living in Canada like I do but being from the USA it’s very easy to see the difference of how well the government and news controls the citizens. Unless you live in both countries you’ll never be able to see it. The people there don’t think for themselves as much. Still can’t believe someone in Ontario can’t get a legal haircut. It’s crazy.

That is really interesting. I don't even bother watching main stream media. I am not sure if it's the same in the USA as here, but here the majority of the news stations are funded by the government. I subscribe to independent media who aren't in the government's back pockets and who can report unbiasedly and factually instead of pushing the constant fear "journalism" (if you can even call it that anymore) that we have had for the last 15 months.

Fair enough. At least you have an accurate understanding of what the program was all about. Federal overreach - not limiting the spread of Covid 19.
If people did what they were asked there would be no reason for over reach. A pandemic is still going on but many seem to act like there never was one.

So there's roughly 38 000 000 people in Canada and you know exactly how they all think? Wow.

Crazy or not but I will take people willing to get vaccinated without giving them money or doughnuts as a good thing

Crazy or not but I will take people willing to get vaccinated without giving them money or doughnuts as a good thing

Are you suggesting that coercion to get the vaccine is happening in the USA and not Canada?

What about a years worth of free University tuition?

The U of Lethbridge, Alberta is offering a lottery to win a free year of University education for people who are rolling up their sleeves for a jab.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/vaccinat...dge-students-could-win-free-tuition-1.5422106
I don't think we have much right to criticize the coercion tactics of the USA right now. Canada isn't looking any better.

...The U of Lethbridge, Alberta is offering a lottery to win a free year of University education for people who are rolling up their sleeves for a jab.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/vaccinat...dge-students-could-win-free-tuition-1.5422106
I don't think we have much right to criticize the coercion tactics of the USA right now. Canada isn't looking any better.
I hadn't heard of that but I LOVE IT!! :lovestruc Why not? Here in Calgary we have a low vaccine uptake amongst certain ethnic populations; mostly newcomers to Canada. The province and City is doing all sorts of things to inform them and facilitate their vaccinations as there are several different barriers. The AHS is now offering mobile vaccination clinics at large workplaces and churches. Pop-up clinics are also makeshift soup-kitchens for our street people. I'm highly in favour of all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter