• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm in the US but as I've mentioned we're very close to the Canadian border. During our governor's weekly press conference this morning it was mentioned that Prime Minister Trudeau has set the goalposts for re-opening the border -- 75% of Canadians with at least 1 dose of vaccine and 20% considered fully-vaccinated (which I assume to mean 14-days after the final dose). The expectation seemed to be that could be achieved in 3-5 weeks.

Any Canadians able to confirm that report?

I don't think we've heard that on a National level. We are at about 60% with one dose, but only 2 or 3 % with both? Some provinces have just opened up second doses to the 80+ and that will come down in age over time. We have been getting more vaccine deliveries though so hopefully we'll be able to meet those numbers, I believe July is a target for the 75% for most provinces and August for opening things up... we all hope it's faster of course :)

So I'm in the US but as I've mentioned we're very close to the Canadian border. During our governor's weekly press conference this morning it was mentioned that Prime Minister Trudeau has set the goalposts for re-opening the border -- 75% of Canadians with at least 1 dose of vaccine and 20% considered fully-vaccinated (which I assume to mean 14-days after the final dose). The expectation seemed to be that could be achieved in 3-5 weeks.

Yes, he has been saying that 75% of Canadians with at least one dose. I haven’t heard much about him speaking in Regards to the second dose. Having said that, we here in Quebec are supposed to get word Thursday on how we are able to move up our second dose. Those who had the astra have been going to walk in clinics for theirs since the weekend.

Here is a link for you . Hopefully you can open it. https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzann...deau-reopen-us-canada-border/?sh=26e7172c6563

I'm not sure about the % with two doses but with current vaccines/appointments our province will reach 75% within a couple weeks for sure. 3-5 weeks would surprise me, but a decision being made in that timeframe wouldn't.

I'm in BC and yes have heard this 75%/20% scenario several times over the past few weeks. Have NOT heard that it can be achieved in the next 3-5 weeks, however. According to the Covid vaccine tracker, updated about 2 hours ago, 57.90% of CDN's have had one dose and 5.687% are fully vaccinated. I watch that site pretty carefully and that first dose number goes up approx 1% every day so 75% is just around the corner. It's the two dose number that moves slowly BUT, as others have stated, they are moving up second doses now. In BC they have moved them up from 16 weeks to 8 weeks so that number should start moving up pretty steadily soon.

They just don't want to admit that they have utterly buggered it up and really, it SHOULD BE SCRAPPED.
Now that the Panel Report has been released it would seem like an easy out - simply announce an immediate end to the requirement in accordance with the findings. No fuss, no need to admit any fault (does any of this sound familiar :rolleyes: ) just stop the madness and let us move on. Much better than the princely sum of tax dollars that will be spent defending it in court and if the Feds lose, then what? Keep the system in place while an appeal is filed in order to avoid having to pay damages to the plaintiffs? Again, this is just gobsmackingly STUPID!!!

Now that the Panel Report has been released it would seem like an easy out - simply announce an immediate end to the requirement in accordance with the findings. No fuss, no need to admit any fault (does any of this sound familiar :rolleyes: ) just stop the madness and let us move on. Much better than the princely sum of tax dollars that will be spent defending it in court and if the Feds lose, then what? Keep the system in place while an appeal is filed in order to avoid having to pay damages to the plaintiffs? Again, this is just gobsmackingly STUPID!!!
Yes, yes, 1000 times yes!!!! What the panel put forth were keen observations and useable ideas. With any luck they will implement all of it soon, but really......who knows. Sigh.

I don't think we've heard that on a National level. We are at about 60% with one dose, but only 2 or 3 % with both? Some provinces have just opened up second doses to the 80+ and that will come down in age over time. We have been getting more vaccine deliveries though so hopefully we'll be able to meet those numbers, I believe July is a target for the 75% for most provinces and August for opening things up... we all hope it's faster of course :)
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...eople-in-canada-have-received-shots-1.5247509
Vaccines are rolling out at a blistering pace as they become available. It does make one wonder though about the 75% target. Will we ever reach it? With good availability to everyone that wants it now, will we stall out under 75% due to the vaccine-resistant and those who are medically ineligible? What happens if we don’t? :confused3

I also can’t help lamenting the unnecessary deaths and suffering caused by this 3rd wave due to our horrible vaccine acquisition troubles. Most of us are obviously participating in the vaccination uptake as rapidly as we can and our infection rates are plummeting nation-wide. Had the promised doses been available between January and March, it’s apparent many things could have been different. :sad1:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...eople-in-canada-have-received-shots-1.5247509
Vaccines are rolling out at a blistering pace as they become available. It does make one wonder though about the 75% target. Will we ever reach it? With good availability to everyone that wants it now, will we stall out under 75% due to the vaccine-resistant and those who are medically ineligible? What happens if we don’t? :confused3

I also can’t help lamenting the unnecessary deaths and suffering caused by this 3rd wave due to our horrible vaccine acquisition troubles. Most of us are obviously participating in the vaccination uptake as rapidly as we can and our infection rates are plummeting nation-wide. Had the promised doses been available between January and March, it’s apparent many things could have been different. :sad1:
Just had a conversation this morning with a friend. Her husband has been traveling in the U.S. for months now for work. He got vaccinated while down there, as have many other Canadians now. She’s been trying to find somewhere to report that he’s vaccinated and can’t find it. So are these people being counted in the percentage vaccinated? It’s probably isn’t a huge number but may be a couple of percentages of the population.

Yes, yes, 1000 times yes!!!! What the panel put forth were keen observations and useable ideas. With any luck they will implement all of it soon, but really......who knows. Sigh.
::yes:: I'm no genius politician but it seems an opportunity to salvage this mess is being missed. Hype up the Panel Report as a great success and immediately implement the findings - it could be easily spun as a win by the government, rather than this completely incomprehensible strategy of doubling-down on the Covid hotels. :confused:

Just had a conversation this morning with a friend. Her husband has been traveling in the U.S. for months now for work. He got vaccinated while down there, as have many other Canadians now. She’s been trying to find somewhere to report that he’s vaccinated and can’t find it. So are these people being counted in the percentage vaccinated? It’s probably isn’t a huge number but may be a couple of percentages of the population.
No, I'd say they are not counted/included in this

That doesn't sound like the Prime Minister. From what I seem to recall, he has been very noncommittal in giving any kind of concrete plans to reopening and has refused to give Canadians any kind of hope about when this will end. But maybe he has had private conversations with US politicians that he isn't divulging. Right now we are sitting at 58.3 % first dose, 5.8% full vaccinated. We are moving at about a percentage a day. Could we hit those targets in 3-5 weeks? Most likely. But the bigger question is how long will a border opening last before another new scary variant is reported and we are all locked down again?

Does anyone else worry about that? Or is that just my paranoia talking? Sometimes I think we are all going to need PTSD counselling after what we've been through the last 15 months. :sad1:

In the Netherlands they're going to stop vaccinating most people with the J&J/Janssen vaccine, because of the rare blood clot side effect. People who have an appointment for the Janssen vaccine can either just go ahead and get it if they want, or they can reschedule to get either Pfizer or Moderna. Everyone who will make an appointment starting right now gets one for Pfizer/Moderna.

They're expecting this to give us a delay in out vaccination program of about a week in the long run.

Contrary to the advice with AstraZeneca they aren't limiting the ban to a certain age group, because they want to still use it for people for whom setting a second appointment is a problem (military, sea men and women, homeless people, etc.).

I think it also helps that both AZ and Janssen have announced they can't deliver the expected doses, whereas Pfizer is delivering their doses sooner than expected.

A lot of people are happy about this, but I've also heard some people who have a fear of needles hoping they could get the Janssen vaccine, so it would be a one and done shot.

That doesn't sound like the Prime Minister. From what I seem to recall, he has been very noncommittal in giving any kind of concrete plans to reopening and has refused to give Canadians any kind of hope about when this will end. But maybe he has had private conversations with US politicians that he isn't divulging. Right now we are sitting at 58.3 % first dose, 5.8% full vaccinated. We are moving at about a percentage a day. Could we hit those targets in 3-5 weeks? Most likely. But the bigger question is how long will a border opening last before another new scary variant is reported and we are all locked down again?

Does anyone else worry about that? Or is that just my paranoia talking? Sometimes I think we are all going to need PTSD counselling after what we've been through the last 15 months. :sad1:
It's paranoia. All the evidence suggests the vaccine works regardless. I've never taken the PM's messaging to be doom and gloom like some have though. I appreciate the tone of our PM and have been very thankful the tone of our premier has been similar. I realize many people don't agree and that's fine. My kids have only been out of (in-class) school two weeks this entire year and I feel like there is a connection.

Our vaccine uptake will surpass 75% I'm certain. A friend mentioned to me the other day every person they knew was either vaccinated or had an appointment and I realized that was the same for me as well. I just wish I knew when kids under 12 might get it. I've read some things and it seems like fall is a possibility but who knows.

It's paranoia. All the evidence suggests the vaccine works regardless. I've never taken the PM's messaging to be doom and gloom like some have though. I appreciate the tone of our PM and have been very thankful the tone of our premier has been similar. I realize many people don't agree and that's fine. My kids have only been out of (in-class) school two weeks this entire year and I feel like there is a connection.

Our vaccine uptake will surpass 75% I'm certain. A friend mentioned to me the other day every person they knew was either vaccinated or had an appointment and I realized that was the same for me as well. I just wish I knew when kids under 12 might get it. I've read some things and it seems like fall is a possibility but who knows.

Thanks for your input! I agree that schools have gone MUCH better than I thought they would. Here, I would say that is only because the government realized the catastrophic impact that closing schools had, moreso than vaccine rates. Our kids have also only been out for 2 weeks which has been great.

I would say that my experience is opposite.. I know only a handful of people who have gotten a shot or are planning to. Of the people who have wanted to share their vaccine status (I never ask people), the majority of them who aren't getting a shot are waiting to see some longer term data on the side effects of the vaccines, some of them wanting to wait an upwards of 5 years.

I haven't been following main stream media but are they saying that these vaccines will protect against every form of variants out there and any future variants?

I haven't been following main stream media but are they saying that these vaccines will protect completely against every form of variants out there and any future variants?
I doubt they could ever say it will protect against all variants, but the worst of this (novel virus) has passed. There is a vaccine that will most likely always offer some protection and if (when?) it's less effective they will offer boosters. Vaccines have caused numbers to drop in the U.S. and the same is happening for us.

I doubt they could ever say it will protect against all variants, but the worst of this (novel virus) has passed. There is a vaccine that will most likely always offer some protection and if (when?) it's less effective they will offer boosters. Vaccines have caused numbers to drop in the U.S. and the same is happening for us.

Well, I will soak up your optimism today! Truly, it's refreshing. 💕 I honestly feel like these lockdowns will never end but that's not surprising because it's been pretty brutal lockdown measures for a VERY long time now.

Well, I will soak up your optimism today! Truly, it's refreshing. 💕 I honestly feel like these lockdowns will never end but that's not surprising because it's been pretty brutal lockdown measures for a VERY long time now.
I know! I have definitely not enjoyed this thing but we will be visiting WDW soon! Or a hockey game at least!!! lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter